Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drone sizes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ggodo
Drone sizes are given a range of measurements for each size level, I know this, but there are a few drones that I haven't found a picture for, and I would like to know what The Consensus has to say on the subject. Specifically, how big do you treat the Steel Lynx and the Seampunk Dragons? The size ranges given are way to wide for me to pin them down. Partly it's curiousity, and partly it's to keep Longbow from buying dozens of dragons for the free flamethrowers. In fact, while we're at it, why did they give us an unstatted flamethrower?
SpellBinder
SR4a, page 96 has a pic of an elf working on a Steel Lynx.
hermit
The Steel Lynx entry's art in Fields of Fire has a human figure for scale. Here is a more modern iteration of a very similar drone that just can be used instead, though it's slightly smaller than the Lynx in FoF.
SpellBinder
Dang they look sweet. Could call them a 'Similar Model' to the medium sized GMC-Nissan Doberman of SR3 (you know, the one that rolled around instead of having legs).
hermit
Yeah. That's very close to my own imagination fo the good old Doberman. But it works for the Lynx too. At least they're not redesigned to look like moderately threatening and very shy felines ...
SpellBinder
Since there's established artwork for the Steel Lynx, even in SR4, I'd stick to that one being named as that. The two that show in the youtube vid you linked could be called something different but still use the same stats as the Steel Lynx (like an Ares Iron Panther or Aztechnology Chupacabra or something).
hermit
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jun 7 2011, 10:03 AM) *
Since there's established artwork for the Steel Lynx, even in SR4, I'd stick to that one being named as that. The two that show in the youtube vid you linked could be called something different but still use the same stats as the Steel Lynx (like an Ares Iron Panther or Aztechnology Chupacabra or something).

Official (as of SR3, source: R3R) variants of the Winter Systems Steel Lynx Combat Drone are the Armaments Éireann-Tír Gaiscíoch and ATT Drache (ATT being a Brit subsidiary of Saeder-Krupp). Also, Winter Systems is a New York Ares subsidiary, so an Ares variant would be rather redundant. Aztehnology has no canon ground combat drones save for a variant of the Ruhrmetall wolfsspinne, though, for some reason.
The Jopp
Large drones are described as "Motorcycle size".

When it comes to Lighter Than Air i would suggest making them car sized (big balloon and all that )
Ed_209a
With LTA drones, I picture the gondola being the typical size for it's body, and the envelope being much larger.

For example, a Stormcloud being a lawnmower-sized body under a shipping container-sized transparent plastic envelope.
Yerameyahu
Is it motorcycle-sized? I thought Body 4 drones were 'small car sized' (like, not a Smart, but maybe a Mini Cooper).
ggodo
I'd been running it as Smart Car sized, mostly to keep it out of buildings. Somewhere between Mini and smart works for me. Now here's the big question, how big are the Steampunk Dragons? and how many of them sould a Str 1 Bod 1man carry?
The Jopp
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 7 2011, 02:39 PM) *
Is it motorcycle-sized? I thought Body 4 drones were 'small car sized' (like, not a Smart, but maybe a Mini Cooper).

Large Drones (BOD 4) range from Motorcycle to smaller car.

So a BOD 5 (similar models rule) could be a small car.

In the case of a LTA I would say Small Car+Huge balloon sized.
Yerameyahu
Ah. I guess a big motorcycle is already beyond Smart Car size anyway, though. smile.gif
hermit
They sell the Smart in America? That's a serious question, because I read that Mercedes pulled it because there was no interest.

Also, check this image for a blimp-sized drone. I'd say it's a small car, one magnitude larger than a Mini, like a Toyota Yaris or Renault Twingo, or Chevy (Pontiac?) Spark.
Ghost_in_the_System
They have been sold in America and there are some around. I don't know if they are being actively made/shipped here for sale though. Most likely not, Americans like their giant super cars of doom. Also, most Americans likely couldn't fit in a smart car.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 7 2011, 11:53 AM) *
They have been sold in America and there are some around. I don't know if they are being actively made/shipped here for sale though. Most likely not, Americans like their giant super cars of doom. Also, most Americans likely couldn't fit in a smart car.

A fair number of Canadians probably not, either. Or, you know, the car would be like a second skin...
CanRay
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 7 2011, 09:35 AM) *
They sell the Smart in America? That's a serious question, because I read that Mercedes pulled it because there was no interest.

There's some Smart Cars in Canada, I can confirm that.

My first impression, and still current, is that I'm bigger than the damned things just walking. But, for their job, getting around a city, they're doing what they're supposed to.

Problem is... Canada lacks City. nyahnyah.gif Just too much Not-City. wink.gif
Falanin
With the extra safety equipment that american laws demand, the Smart loses a lot of it's fuel efficiency and performance due to extra weight... which doesn't help its popularity at all.
Fauxknight
QUOTE (Falanin @ Jun 7 2011, 03:50 PM) *
With the extra safety equipment that american laws demand, the Smart loses a lot of it's fuel efficiency and performance due to extra weight... which doesn't help its popularity at all.

Its true, they barely get the mileage to be worth buying. Usually you're better off with a regular compact or subcompact, same mileage-same price-bigger car, or just jumping on the fuel efficiency bandwagon all the way and shelling out for a prius. They definely sell Smarts here in the US, one of my neighbors has one.
Bull
I love the Smart Cars. I want two, then I'd have a pair of roller skates! (But yes, they definitely sell them here)
Tyro
QUOTE (Bull @ Jun 7 2011, 03:36 PM) *
I love the Smart Cars. I want two, then I'd have a pair of roller skates! (But yes, they definitely sell them here)

Thanks for the smile smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Falanin @ Jun 7 2011, 02:50 PM) *

Yeah, well, all I know is that even with that equipment, they probably weigh less than a Moose and would loose that kind of fight. A not inconsiderable thing for me to have in mind if I ever go back to Northern Ontario.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 7 2011, 10:19 PM) *
Yeah, well, all I know is that even with that equipment, they probably weigh less than a Moose and would loose that kind of fight. A not inconsiderable thing for me to have in mind if I ever go back to Northern Ontario.

Or, anywhere in New Brunswick.
CanRay
Anyhow, a Steel Lynx is larger than a breadbox. nyahnyah.gif
The Jopp
I like the fact that with similar models I can take a small drone (BOD 2) and change it to BOD 3 and add a weapon mount.

The question is if I can manage to squeeze in (or build the drone around it) a Ares Firelance Vehicle Laser... grinbig.gif

Yerameyahu
You can, if the GM decides to do that. It's probably a bad idea to ever allow that, so…
ggodo
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jun 8 2011, 08:04 AM) *
I like the fact that with similar models I can take a small drone (BOD 2) and change it to BOD 3 and add a weapon mount.

The question is if I can manage to squeeze in (or build the drone around it) a Ares Firelance Vehicle Laser... grinbig.gif

Technically, yes. I wouldn't allow it.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (ggodo @ Jun 8 2011, 05:24 PM) *
Technically, yes. I wouldn't allow it.

There are already enough small drones with weapon mounts. I don't really want to use up all my capacity by adding a weapon mount to a drone. grinbig.gif

Anyway, any answers for ggodo's question on how many steampunk dragons may be carried on a STR 1 BOD 1 character, and why we were given a statless flamethrower?
longbowrocks
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jun 8 2011, 08:04 AM) *

Don't burn yourself out man. The drone you're looking for is the MCT Hachiman, which has an external reinforced remote turret. It's in "This Old Drone", page 5.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jun 6 2011, 10:37 PM) *
SR4a, page 96 has a pic of an elf working on a Steel Lynx.

...How do you know that? I can't find any reference to that picture anywhere.
Ghost_in_the_System
An assumption based on art from previous editions maybe?
longbowrocks
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Jun 7 2011, 03:44 AM) *
Large drones are described as "Motorcycle size".

At least motorcycle sized, and up to the size of a small car. Since the cutoff for medium drones is motorcycle size, I would say most large drones are larger than that. Ggodo's right to keep that thing out of doors though, and I like the fact that he used its size instead of bringing security down on us when I tried to bring it inside.
longbowrocks
QUOTE (Ed_209a @ Jun 7 2011, 05:42 AM) *
For example, a Stormcloud being a lawnmower-sized body under a shipping container-sized transparent plastic envelope.

I'd shoot for that, except your impression of the balloon part. The gas portions of these airships are described as being very resistant to gunfire due to their multiple-compartment design and framework which prevents popping.
SpellBinder
QUOTE (longbowrocks @ Jun 8 2011, 09:34 PM) *
...How do you know that? I can't find any reference to that picture anywhere.

Honestly, yes, based on artwork from previous editions. On top of that here is a pic I recall seeing from a 3rd edition book of a steel lynx.
CanRay
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jun 9 2011, 12:42 AM) *
Honestly, yes, based on artwork from previous editions. On top of that here is a pic I recall seeing from a 3rd edition book of a steel lynx.

With the power pack for size reference as well. Nice. smile.gif
longbowrocks
Speaking of drone sizes, I'm curious if anyone who writes for SR has ever read any of the other books. I'm a little ways through "Spy Games", and I've already hit a bump:
Drone Case
The drone case comes in three sizes: micro, mini, and small. The case’s armor rating is 1/2, and it stacks with the existing
drone’s armor. Example drone cases: Micro: button, earring, cuffl ink; Mini: pen, key, credstick; Small: shoe, commlink,
concealed pocket.

This does not fit the descriptions of micro, mini, and small drones that I'm familiar with from Arsenal. Try fitting a GMC chariot in your shoe (or even the smallest minidrone in the books)!
hermit
This does not fit the descriptions of micro, mini, and small drones that I'm familiar with from Arsenal. Try fitting a GMC chariot in your shoe (or even the smallest minidrone in the books)!

Well, it seems there is truth to the claim of Frank Trollman's that the core rules expansions are not required reading for the current crop of authors ...
ggodo
QUOTE (hermit @ Jun 9 2011, 12:37 AM) *
Well, it seems there is truth to the claim of Frank Trollman's that the core rules expansions are not required reading for the current crop of authors ...

Which is sad because I hate it when he's right. It's like the guy with the "End is Nigh" sign and the end really being nigh.
CanRay
QUOTE (ggodo @ Jun 9 2011, 09:04 AM) *
Which is sad because I hate it when he's right. It's like the guy with the "End is Nigh" sign and the end really being nigh.

Yeah, notice how those guys usually have the worst, "OH DREK" face in the crowd when they find out they're right. nyahnyah.gif
PittsburghRPGA
QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 7 2011, 09:53 AM) *

I can confirm an active dealership in Pittsburgh. http://www.smartcenterpittsburgh.com/ I drive past it on the way to a friend's apartment. But there are plenty of those wee little "cars" sold here. It's no longer a case of seeing one and being surprised like you would at seeing, for example, a 57 Chevy or a Stutz Bearcat or something.

I know I prefer giant super cars of doom, but then I'm a fluffy gamer who ain't going to fit well into one of those toy cars.

Cordially,

Eric
(who drives a Grand Am GT and a VStar Custom 650)
Spanky_Harrison
To be fair, the drone size descriptions in Arsenal (at least for mini and micro drones) are a bit skitso anyway.

Microdrones (Body 0): These insect-sized drones are typically
under 10 centimeters in length. They receive a Concealability
modifier of –6 (see pp. 301–302, SR4).

Well, if they are insect sized, I certainly hope that they are less than 10cm in length, cause that's just under 4 inches, and that's a big bug. Which raises the question of what do they mean by insect size? Is the average Microdrone the size of a House fly? Cause thats what I think of when I think "insect sized", and thats 8-12mm long. Or is the average Microdrone the size of a Cicada, which measure 2-5cm?

We know they have a concealability modifier of -6, which theoretically puts them around the size of an RFID tag, which is described as "Ranging in size from
microscopic to the size of a price tag". Slap patches are also in this category, but the book doesn't actually say how big they are. (I would imagine about 2 inches square)

Then Minidrones:
Minidrones (Body 1): The size of a large insect or mouse,
minidrones range from 10 to 25 centimeters in length and fit in
the palm of one’s hand (or a pocket). They receive a Concealability
modifier of –2 (see pp. 301–302, SR4).

So these are the size of a "large insect or mouse". Well, the house mouse is about 10cm long (in the body) at its biggest, though the "Fancy Mouse" can range from 15-30cm, but that includes the tail and tiny top hat, so the actual body is about half that. Alternatively, they are described as fitting in the palm of ones hand, which fits with the whole "mouse" description. But the actual length is described as 10 to 25 cm, or 4 to 10 inches. 10 inches does not fit into the palm of ones hand. (insert penis joke here). For reference, a normal (size 7) basketball has a diameter of about 9.5 inches. While you can hold a basketball in your hand, I wouldn't really say that it "fits" in there, and you definitely cant put one in your pocket.

So lets look at the concealability. Minidrones are Concealability -2, which puts them in the same category as Light Pistols. The Beretta 92 (what I would consider a decent modern example of the class) ranges from 7.8 inches (for the compact version) to 8.5 inches. That fits pretty well in the 10-25 cm range.

Of course, the other issue is that both mini and micro drones can theoretically be 10cm "long" (whatever that actually means, what if its round?) Which would result in two objects of essentially the same size having a 4 die difference in their concealability. But whatever, those rules aren't perfect nyahnyah.gif

Overall, it seems to me that in the case of mini and micro drones, the rules have no idea how large they actually are. And that's kind of irritating.
Ghost_in_the_System
QUOTE (Spanky_Harrison @ Jun 9 2011, 11:24 AM) *
Overall, it seems to me that in the case of mini and micro drones, the rules have no idea how large they actually are. And that's kind of irritating.

A drone is never too large or too small, it is exactly the size it intended to be..... wait a second.

That said I do agree, I always thought the size descriptions in arsenal were just slightly off. I mean 25cm is nearly a foot long, which is fairly noticeable. Even micro drones aren't really all that small if 4cm is the lower limit. That's the size of a fairly large beetle. May be somewhat easy to overlook, but if it is just hanging out somewhere, it is going to stick out quite a bit, which seems to be the opposite of what many microdrones are intended for.
Yerameyahu
*shrug* It's the vagueness that bothers me. I'm fine with micro meaning '1-4cm' (maybe 0.5cm for a truly limited drone), as opposed to the yet-nonexistent nano-drones.
Fortinbras
QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Jun 9 2011, 12:42 AM) *

For those interested, the picture is from the second edition book Fields of Fire p. 68.
Bull
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 9 2011, 12:42 PM) *
*shrug* It's the vagueness that bothers me. I'm fine with micro meaning '1-4cm' (maybe 0.5cm for a truly limited drone), as opposed to the yet-nonexistent nano-drones.

This is a big failing of SR4's more abstract gear system, I agree.

With the piece of gear in SPy Games, I think it was less that the author wasn't familiar with core SR stuff... It's that he made a call. Drone Body sizes simply don't automatically equal a specific size. THey're really, really screwy and, as Spanky_Harrison notes, they're a bit Schizo. Some drones are intended to be that small, others with the exact same body rating, are obviously bigger. If I was in the same boat, I may have done the same thing, and simply assumed (hoped? Probably Hoped futilely) that most GMs and players would be smart enough to use an ounce of common sense with these things.

One of my fervent hopes is that when/if SR5 comes around, we can actually go back to being more specific about sizes of things (Length, width, height, seating, cargo capacity, and a size comparison chart would all be wonderful additions, and are badly needed IMO).

Bull
Yerameyahu
Rigger 3! biggrin.gif
Bull
Even Rigger three didn't go far enough. There still weren't actual sizes for a lot of vehicles. But it did have seating and cargo, which was very important (And helped gauge size for vehicles, at least. Drones were always a "Take a guess" though. smile.gif)
Ghost_in_the_System
Somewhat off topic rant:
[ Spoiler ]

It's amazing how much little things like sizes and gear weight can matter, especially in a world that it fairly 'real'. I understand that they left it out to reduce bookkeeping, but at times I think it can be quite important. I mean, just how big is a commlink? Considering how important they are, it is never really explicitly stated that a normal commlink is about X size with the high end models maybe being as big as Y size. We have concealability to go off of, but that covers a fairly large range.

Personally I'd have preferred a 'here are the weights for reference, but don't feel the need to keep track of exact weight unless it becomes particularly important to the game'
Mayhem_2006
QUOTE (Ghost_in_the_System @ Jun 9 2011, 05:58 PM) *
It's amazing how much little things like sizes and gear weight can matter, especially in a world that it fairly 'real'.

Oh hell, yeah. On a similar note, The basic purpose of a vehicle is to carry cargo or people from point A to point B.

That, for me, rather suggests that how many people of how much cargo should have been one of the primary stats of the vehicle rules, not something to be done away with to make the book shorter.
Tyro
QUOTE (Mayhem_2006 @ Jun 9 2011, 11:06 AM) *
Oh hell, yeah. On a similar note, The basic purpose of a vehicle is to carry cargo or people from point A to point B.

That, for me, rather suggests that how many people of how much cargo should have been one of the primary stats of the vehicle rules, not something to be done away with to make the book shorter.

Hear, hear!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012