Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So, security providers in the 6th world.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Wakshaani
The two biggies are, of course, Lone Star and Knight Errant, with Hard Corps (Another Ares-owned company that's more legbreaker-filled than the professionals of KE), known to be a small player. Who else has been listed as a security provider on a level beyond a single city? I suddenly blank on who does the security for Tokyo, but it seems that there're a few more out there that I'm overlooking.

Anyone have a quick datadump?
CanRay
Friendly Officers, a wholly owned subsidiary of Horizon, who have the nicest peace officers ever to beat you into submission? nyahnyah.gif
Sir_Psycho
Wolverine field brutal, cybered well-armoured units who focus on gangs. Eagle Security are notable for screwing up in Chicago. Centurion provide investigatory personnel to European cops in small cities, and merc squads for peacekeeping operations in Africa.

Tokyo is handled by local police, who generally don't carry fire-arms. Most corporate and private security I imagine is handled by the entrenched Japanacorps.
Tiralee
Back in the day, Met2000 also handled "aggressive" police actions.
You know, the ones that involved airstrikes, over-the-horizon artillery and minimal care. (Africa, especially)

Metro Guard (ie: Seattle USCA's national guard) also perform police duties on certain government institutions - the pissing matches between them, Lonestar, the Regular army and every other badge were stressed heavily in the earlier stuff (Fast way to get good weapons, I suppose)

There were also a bunch of one-offs (the security mooks handling the morgue/crematorium in Eyewitness springs to mind) in the older adventures.
Damn, there was a list in the Corporate Security splatbook (the dwarf techie on the cover) but that's a book from long ago. I assume they've updated it to now?

-Tir
CanRay
QUOTE (Tiralee @ Jun 22 2011, 09:48 AM) *
Metro Guard (ie: Seattle USCA's national guard) also perform police duties on certain government institutions - the pissing matches between them, Lonestar, the Regular army and every other badge were stressed heavily in the earlier stuff (Fast way to get good weapons, I suppose)
-Tir
They're also really good at locking up Metahumans and their families in warehouses and watching them as they burn. nyahnyah.gif

NYPD, Inc. is another one. I included them in my write-up of Winnipeg, BTW.
Wakshaani
Yeah, I knew several cities still had an incorporated PD. I just wouldn't expect, for instance, the NYPD INC to show up as security in, let's say, Ohio. smile.gif
Critias
I'm about a hojillion miles away from home at the moment, but if anyone else has SotA '64 lying around, there's an excellent listing of major security companies in their law enforcement chapter.
Eimi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 22 2011, 12:12 PM) *
They're also really good at locking up Metahumans and their families in warehouses and watching them as they burn. nyahnyah.gif

NYPD, Inc. is another one. I included them in my write-up of Winnipeg, BTW.

They're not just good. They're the best at what they do, bub. And what they do is lock metahumans and their families in warehouses and watch as they burn. (It isn't very pretty.)

Ha, nice. If there's anything resembling Calgary's current memes in the 2070s, which wouldn't be too surprising as it's still a corporate city that no doubt considers itself very highly, they'd take any comparison to NYC (even just through the sharing of its security company) as just another example of how it's a WORLD CLASS CITY. Not sure about Winnipeg's particular peccadillos, though.
Eimi
QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 23 2011, 01:21 AM) *
I'm about a hojillion miles away from home at the moment, but if anyone else has SotA '64 lying around, there's an excellent listing of major security companies in their law enforcement chapter.

The other collection of them is in The Neo-Anarchists' Guide to Real Life, back in 2e. Not a lot of discussion of the actual companies "personalities", though.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Wasn't there "Lone Eagle" in Chicago? I seem to remember reading when bug city went down many of them acterd like the police did in RL New Orleans after Katrina, where 1/3 never returned to work.

Eye Witness listed a "Two Star" security as barely mall cop level sec who were under paid, under trained and under motivated.

Other than the well known Lone star police unit, a seperate division was Lone Star Security. I think that was the original corp that the metropolitan police were an offshoot of them. Like Hard Cops these are not peace officers but heavy thugs.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jun 23 2011, 11:06 AM) *
Eye Witness listed a "Two Star" security as barely mall cop level sec who were under paid, under trained and under motivated.
Unlike mall cops today who are overpaid, well trained, and highly motivated? nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 23 2011, 10:31 AM) *
Unlike mall cops today who are overpaid, well trained, and highly motivated? nyahnyah.gif

Exactly... wobble.gif
Fortinbras
Minute Men Security is NeoNET's security corp. They handle security in Philly. The Novel Striper Assassin covers them in a bit of detail.

Notice Striper, not Stripper.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Fortinbras @ Jun 23 2011, 11:28 AM) *
Minute Men Security is NepNET's security corp. They handle security in Philly. The Novel Striper Assassin covers them in a bit of detail.

Notice Striper, not Stripper.

Because Tigers are Striped, and do not Strip... smile.gif
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 23 2011, 07:33 PM) *
Because Tigers are Striped, and do not Strip... smile.gif

I think I recall the female stipping in that one. Or atleast getting her freak on.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 23 2011, 01:26 PM) *
I think I recall the female stipping in that one. Or atleast getting her freak on.

She did get her freak on, that is for sure... smile.gif
Critias
I got a PM from a mysterious stranger (actually my buddy, and fellow freelancer, James Meiers) who's helping me make up for my lack of books:
Critias was on the right track with SOTA64 pp.73-73. More importantly is Corp Guide, p.202, which has the global top ten.

Top Ten (2072):
1. Knight Errant
2. Lone Star
3. Tyr Security (Scandinavian Union, Baltic)
4. MCT—Parashield, Petrovski Security (runs under different names locally, including the Ertxantxa, the Euskal Herria national police force, and Total Service in Korea. Together P&P "supports" the government Neo-Tokyo Metropolitan Police with integrated support units.)
5. Sakura Security (Yakashima; Japanese empire)
6. Renraku—Najima Securities, SecuritTech International (Matrix)
7. Pueblo Security Enterprises Inc. (FRFZ, NAN)
8. Sternschutz (AGS)
9. Esprit (France)
10. HKB—ScotSecure, Midland Guards (UK)

Others:
Centurion (Europe, Africa)
Eagle Security (North America)
Wolverine
Seguridad Primero (Aztechnology; I think Atlantic Security was incorporated into this, which used to patrol South Florida)
Desert Storm Security (Shiawase)
Minuteman Security (NeoNET; Boston)

Winter Systems used to be the third police force in Manhattan (plus NYPD Inc. and KE), and did merc jobs also. Haven't heard much about them in a while, but I'm sure they're alive and kicking somewhere along the eastern seaboard.

Just known to be in specific cities:

NYPD, Inc.
NOPS (New Orleans)
APF (Atlanta)—may be Lone Star now.
LAPD, Inc.—now Pueblo Sec Force
CanRay
I was wondering where Parashield was from.

Now I'm really worried about buying their line of dart pistols and rifles...

EDIT: And also why they were so good at catching Technomancers if they have that equipment on-hand. nyahnyah.gif
Grinchy McScrooge
Any of my Canadian friends know what happened to the RCMP? I was thinking of use them, or JTF-2, as a corporation, but I'm not sure if either of them have been covered in canon anywhere... question.gif
Lansdren
Just out of curiosity any official history showing where some of the security companies come from? Just wondering as real world you have G4S as one of the biggest private employers with a pretty wide range of security stuff going on and it doesnt look that far off A or AA status on its own.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ Jul 17 2011, 01:11 PM) *
Any of my Canadian friends know what happened to the RCMP? I was thinking of use them, or JTF-2, as a corporation, but I'm not sure if either of them have been covered in canon anywhere... question.gif

Not the RCMP directly, but I do know some of the NAN nations carry the tradition of the Mounties. There is even a dedicated wilderness policing force in Tir Taingire (I think. If not, it's one of those areas) that uses Griffons.

I assume the RCMP still exists in the UCAS, the only place still bearing the Canadian name. Although I also figure they are mostly restricted to rural areas, as many security corporations have the contracts to large cities. Sorry I don't have a canon answer for you, though.
CanRay
QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ Jul 17 2011, 12:11 PM) *
Lone Star brought in a bunch of Mounties when they got contract for the provinces that use them rather than a Provincial Police. The Ontario Provincial Police were probably bought out as well, but the Quebec Provincial Police becoming Jackbooted Thugs for the "République" du Québec.

JTF-2, being a part of the Canadian Military, are probably another Special Forces unit in the UCAS Armed Forces, likely attached to the Army, but possibly the Marine Corps (I'm sure those two forces would be fighting politically for JTF-2!).
Wakshaani
Trying to remember the book that had art that showed all the uniforms of security officers, now.

SHadowrun 1st ed, maybe? Or Seattle first? Not sure.

Was really cool to see, but never been reproduced to my knowledge.
CanRay
There was a link to them not that long ago. And oh dear $Deity were they '80s!!!
Nath
http://bull.dumpshock.com/Seattles%20Finest.jpg from 1st edition Seattle Sourcebook (put online by Bull and CrimsonDude).

For the Canadian states that joined UCAS, Target: Matrix suggest the RCMP or part of it maybe merged with the US Marshals. Marshals working online must use a standard icon that look like a Wild West era marshal, but the Canadian agents seemingly can use a Mountie icon.
CanRay
Which begs the question: Brown Coat or Red Coat.

Because the RCMP Dress Uniform copyright is owned by Disney... frown.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 05:26 PM) *

Really? Did not know that. I Guess it makes some semblance of sense, though.
LurkerOutThere
If i remember right Argus(Met20K's intel arm) subcontracts investigative and federal police duties for several countires in Europe.
Nath
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 18 2011, 01:26 AM) *
It was the other way round. The RCMP owns its uniform design, insignia and name, and they contracted Disney Co. to manage the license. The contract ended in 2000 though.

CanRay
QUOTE (Nath @ Jul 18 2011, 12:55 PM) *
It was the other way round. The RCMP owns its uniform design, insignia and name, and they contracted Disney Co. to manage the license. The contract ended in 2000 though.
Ah, knew there was a reason. Still, major piss-off with every Canadian Patriot.

I think there's five, six of us?
Wakshaani
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 18 2011, 07:09 PM) *
Ah, knew there was a reason. Still, major piss-off with every Canadian Patriot.

I think there's five, six of us?

Enough to make a band, at the least...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vxDDcTc64c
CanRay
They know the country well. They nailed Northern Ontario down pat, that's for sure.

"It's a billion miles of NOTHING!!!"
Sir_Psycho
Spy Games gave us a look at what happened to the USA's alphabet agencies, but what happened to the military special ops teams? I know there's some dumpshockers who know more about this than I do both IRL and in the Sixth World.

Who do the UCAS and CAS call these days when they want to get all up in some-one's shit? Or has foreign policy changed a whole lot since the dissolution?
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jul 19 2011, 06:29 AM) *
Spy Games gave us a look at what happened to the USA's alphabet agencies, but what happened to the military special ops teams? I know there's some dumpshockers who know more about this than I do both IRL and in the Sixth World.

Who do the UCAS and CAS call these days when they want to get all up in some-one's shit? Or has foreign policy changed a whole lot since the dissolution?

It has. The smaller countries that made up the USA don't have the same power politically as the USA did, so they are forced to follow the UN (which has also lost power with the rise of the Megas). The Rise of Japan and the dominance of the Nuyen means that economically, the former US nations are even more down and out power-wise. Japan, however, has more or less taken the spot the US had, although they don't seem to be as likely to go out and interfer with other nations (even if it would help them long term)
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Nath @ Jul 18 2011, 12:55 PM) *

If you're worried about protecting your branding, why not hire the most copyright-rabid people on the planet to guard it?

smile.gif

-k
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 19 2011, 07:20 AM) *
It has. The smaller countries that made up the USA don't have the same power politically as the USA did, so they are forced to follow the UN (which has also lost power with the rise of the Megas). The Rise of Japan and the dominance of the Nuyen means that economically, the former US nations are even more down and out power-wise. Japan, however, has more or less taken the spot the US had, although they don't seem to be as likely to go out and interfer with other nations (even if it would help them long term)

Cough, California, cough Manila, cough bullshit.
Nath
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jul 19 2011, 11:29 AM) *
Cyberpirates mentions CAS and UCAS Navy Seals ; Shadows of North America mentions CAS Marine Corps Force Recon and UCAS Green Berets. So those at least still exist.

And yes, the foreign policy changed a whole lot. When Russian forces invaded Poland, the UCAS started removing forces from Europe, leaving its NATO allies to fight on their own. According to the Neo-anarchist Guide to North America, "By 2035, the UCAS had no military presence anywhere outside North America."
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012