Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Magical Tradition: Transformer Companion
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tanegar
Transformer Companion
Concept: Transformer Companions believe that they are in contact with ultra-advanced alien robots from an artificial planet called Cybertron. While seldom good sorcerers, Transformer Companions specialize in conjuring powerful spirits which possess homunculus vessels.
Combat: Guardian
Detection: Guidance
Health: Fire
Illusion: Beast
Manipulation: Task
(Notes: The Transformer Companion tradition is a possession tradition, and comes with two built-in geasa for which the magician receives no bonus BP. First, no spirit conjured by a Transformer Companion may possess anything other than a purpose-built homunculus, constructed of plasteel or similar high-tech materials, and crafted in such a way that it can convert between a humanoid and vehicle form. Second, all spells known by a Transformer Companion must be fetish-linked, and the fetishes must be technological items appropriate to the spell, i.e., a sensor array for Detection spells, a firearm for Combat spells, etc.)

The magicians calling themselves Transformer Companions are a decided oddity, even within the multifarious ranks of the Awakened. They do not acknowledge the existence of magic, instead considering the spirits they conjure to be the "Sparks," or animating life-forces, of incredibly advanced cybernetic aliens called Transformers. These "Sparks" can only possess homunculi, never any other type of vessel, and only homunculi constructed in a very specific way: they must be made of high-tech materials, and they must be designed in such a way as to have a humanoid and a vehicle form that they can shift between by the mechanical movement of parts. Transformer Companions rarely make good sorcerers, and what spells they do use they claim are generated by technological items they carry with them, invariably referred to as gifts from the Transformers. More mystical traditions don't know quite what to make of these strange magicians, as they are even more adamant in their refusal to call their abilities magic than the so-called "psionicists."
pbangarth
Interesting idea. The tradition will have a lot of trouble dealing with Object Resistance, though, wouldn't it?
Dakka Dakka
Interesting, but why do they need new rules? I don't think it is necessary to force a geas without point benefit on them.
Tanegar
Um, hello? They think they're calling up Transformers. When was the last time you saw a Transformer made of wicker or something? The whole point is that these magicians are under the delusion that everything they do is technological rather than magical.

Also, IT'S A JOKE.
Dakka Dakka
If it is just a joke, I had a chuckle earlier. End of story.

If you want to use it as a viable tradition, I think that the geas mechanic does not represent the delusion well, because it does not prevent them form using sticks and stones. Additionally people under this delusion simply would not use low tech materials even if they knew they could at -1 MAG.
Hound
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jul 10 2011, 10:44 AM) *
Interesting, but why do they need new rules? I don't think it is necessary to force a geas without point benefit on them.

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jul 10 2011, 09:06 AM) *
Interesting idea. The tradition will have a lot of trouble dealing with Object Resistance, though, wouldn't it?

these two could work together. The idea of the forced Geas is fine, except that no bonuses are provided in return. So perhaps the bonus could be some kind of way to lower object resistance for the purposes of possession (which is what I assume you mean pbangarth.)
Tanegar
Also, they don't have any new rules. Geasa and fetish-limited spells are both in the books. nyahnyah.gif
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 11 2011, 12:37 AM) *
Also, they don't have any new rules. Geasa and fetish-limited spells are both in the books. nyahnyah.gif
The new rule is that you have to take two geasa and that you get no bonus BP for it. No other tradition has such a condition, not even Psionics is that restrictive.
Manunancy
Why should a 'tradition' that's basically making it's practitioner turn their backs to magic be balanced with the more normal ones ? Whoever follows that creed isn't exactly bolted airtight.

Balancing that traditions would be similar to giving someone learning hand-to-hand from Power Rangers or similar japanes sentaļ flicks the same bonuses as someone learning a real martial art.
CanRay
So, Mentors would be Autobots and Toxic Mentors would be Decepticons?
Modular Man
Mentors might be the the exact way to enforce said Geasa. Give them some bonus dice for enchanting and it even matches the scheme. Just make sure they get out enough power in return of those disadvantages, then this might even work.
The sixth world sure has seen similar strange things...
CanRay
When I got more time, I'll figure out mentors for this.

DAMN YOUR EYES!
Ryu
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 7 2011, 02:53 AM) *
Transformer Companion
Concept: Transformer Companions believe that they are in contact with ultra-advanced alien robots from an artificial planet called Cybertron. While seldom good sorcerers, Transformer Companions specialize in conjuring powerful spirits which possess homunculus vessels.
Combat: Guardian
Detection: Guidance
Health: Fire
Illusion: Beast
Manipulation: Task
(Notes: The Transformer Companion tradition is a possession tradition, and comes with two built-in geasa for which the magician receives no bonus BP. First, no spirit conjured by a Transformer Companion may possess anything other than a purpose-built homunculus, constructed of plasteel or similar high-tech materials, and crafted in such a way that it can convert between a humanoid and vehicle form. Second, all spells known by a Transformer Companion must be fetish-linked, and the fetishes must be technological items appropriate to the spell, i.e., a sensor array for Detection spells, a firearm for Combat spells, etc.)

The magicians calling themselves Transformer Companions are a decided oddity, even within the multifarious ranks of the Awakened. They do not acknowledge the existence of magic, instead considering the spirits they conjure to be the "Sparks," or animating life-forces, of incredibly advanced cybernetic aliens called Transformers. These "Sparks" can only possess homunculi, never any other type of vessel, and only homunculi constructed in a very specific way: they must be made of high-tech materials, and they must be designed in such a way as to have a humanoid and a vehicle form that they can shift between by the mechanical movement of parts. Transformer Companions rarely make good sorcerers, and what spells they do use they claim are generated by technological items they carry with them, invariably referred to as gifts from the Transformers. More mystical traditions don't know quite what to make of these strange magicians, as they are even more adamant in their refusal to call their abilities magic than the so-called "psionicists."

Assuming for a sec I would permit you to build a Land-and-Air Mech in SR. Consequentially forgetting about the embargo on mechs beyond the RAW walker drones.

The benefit that goes with the negative qualities would be the knowledge required to build "transforming" bodies; the limit avoiding omnipresence of those drones the total failure of that concept on a technological base - read: they only work by magic.
HentaiZonga
I did something like this for Technomancers; I'll have to find it.
Bull
I like it. I kinda wish there was a Facebook "Like" system or the SR4 forum Rep system for me to give you a thumbs up for this. smile.gif

TheOOB
Health should be man spirits, I don't think a full 20% of transformers are on fire all the time.
Tanegar
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Oct 31 2011, 03:27 AM) *
Health should be man spirits, I don't think a full 20% of transformers are on fire all the time.

I read somewhere (can't find it now, naturally) that "fire" spirits can also appear to be electrical in nature. Same stats and powers, just giving off arcs of electricity rather than sheets of flame. Maybe a Transformer fire spirit is toting a bunch of Energon cubes. biggrin.gif
Ryu
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Oct 31 2011, 08:27 AM) *

Task for Health and Air for Manipulation? The Flyboys get Air, the mechanics get Task?
Tanegar
QUOTE (Ryu @ Oct 31 2011, 04:41 PM) *
Task for Health and Air for Manipulation? The Flyboys get Air, the mechanics get Task?

Task spirits for Health is quite a good idea, but I'm not sure I get the connection between flight and Manipulation.
Ryu
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Oct 31 2011, 11:05 PM) *
Task spirits for Health is quite a good idea, but I'm not sure I get the connection between flight and Manipulation.

Removing Fire spirits requires a new spirit, and Manipulation is the free category after moving task.

My argument for Air spirits is gaining the flight skill, the spell category is not that important. Even if Levitate and Magic Fingers are Manipulation spells.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012