Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I'ma charging mah laz0r!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Stahlseele
http://www.irconnect.com/noc/press/pages/n...s.html?d=154600
Photo Release -- Northrop Grumman Announces the FIRESTRIKE™ Laser, World's First Weaponized Solid-State Laser for U.S. Military Services

REDONDO BEACH, Calif., Nov. 13, 2008 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) today introduced the FIRESTRIKE™ laser, a ruggedized, high-energy, solid-state laser designed as a line replaceable unit (LRU) for battlefield applications, ready for order now.

Photos accompanying this release are available at http://media.primezone.com/noc/

The FIRESTRIKE™ laser offers warfighters a 15 kilowatt (kW) fieldable laser as well as a combinable LRU building block for much higher power, based on a laser beam combining architecture validated by Northrop Grumman over many years with the Joint High Power Solid State Laser program, Vesta and Vesta II.

"We are ready to deliver on the promise of defense at the speed of light with FIRESTRIKE™," said Dan Wildt, vice president of Directed Energy Systems for Northrop Grumman's Space Technology sector. "The FIRESTRIKE™ laser power per cubic foot has been greatly enhanced from its successful laboratory predecessors."

He noted the FIRESTRIKE™ laser has been hardened for military uses but also was designed with life-cycle costs and reliability in mind. "FIRESTRIKE™ is designed for field operations and simple replacement," Wildt added.

"This is a rugged electric laser with power levels, beam quality and runtime suitable for offensive and defensive military utility. Also available is a newly designed laser current source assembly (LCSA), which is compact, and specifically developed to precisely meet FIRESTRIKE™'s power needs. Combined with advanced electro optical and/or infrared sensors, the FIRESTRIKE™ laser can provide self-defense, precision strike and enhanced situational awareness capabilities."

The FIRESTRIKE™ laser is a line replaceable system that allows for scaling a laser weapon to desired power levels for specific warfighting applications and platforms. Northrop Grumman believes that FIRESTRIKE™ laser will form the backbone of future laser weapon systems.

Northrop Grumman Corporation is a global defense and technology company whose 120,000 employees provide innovative systems, products and solutions in information and services, electronics, aerospace and shipbuilding to government and commercial customers worldwide.

FIRESTRIKE™ Laser Features

Power 15kW laser
Beam Quality Nominally 1.5 times the diffraction limit
Size Laser head - 12" x 23" x 40" (width, depth, height)
Current source - 9" x 13" x 30"
Runtime Continuous, as long as power and coolant are
provided
Instant Turn-on Zero to full power in less than 1/2 second
Safety Remote operation, customer interlock access,
internal safety sensors
Control Common Command and Control (C2) systems and
Ethernet interfaces
Low Power Setting Provides nominally 100 watt alignment beam
Weight 400 lbs per LRU
Ruggedization Hardened LRUs with compact SSL technology
engineered for mobility and field operations

Northrop Grumman Space Technology
Cell: 310.386.1644
linda.javier@ngc.com
KarmaInferno
Huh. Grumman made some noise about the Firestrike like three years ago. It's finally in production?

Now we can have GI-Joe pew pew fights!

-k
Draco18s
Well, its not actually a gun. The unit itself is 12" x 23" x 40" (ie. rather large).
Mr. Smileys
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 11 2011, 10:11 AM) *
Well, its not actually a gun. The unit itself is 12" x 23" x 40" (ie. rather large).

And it weighs 400 lbs or 181.44 kilograms
Summerstorm
So what? Easily troll-portable *g*

HunterHerne
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 11 2011, 02:11 PM) *

From what I'm told by a military guy, guns are the big cannons, the small ones are (mostly) incorrectly identified by the general public.
Stahlseele
So we can switch out the minigun for the gatling laser from FalloutFame . . i am cool with that ^^
Smokeskin
What sort of damage can it do? Burn out retinas? Vaporize tanks? Range?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Jul 11 2011, 11:54 AM) *
What sort of damage can it do? Burn out retinas? Vaporize tanks? Range?

At 15KW I think that Vaporization of Hard Targets is pretty much out. But it would be nice to have some damage comparisons. smile.gif
Stahlseele
15kw for one unit.
you can add 7 units to one big array.
i think then it goes to 105kw and then you are cooking with plasma.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 11 2011, 02:25 PM) *
15kw for one unit.
you can add 7 units to one big array.
i think then it goes to 105kw and then you are cooking with plasma.

Don't forget to give it a splash of flavor from your spice weasel.
CanRay
So, when do we get it in the 50 Megawatt range?

And equip them on frickin' sharks?
Stahlseele
1.21 Gigawatts.
CanRay
Just don't drive past 88 MPH with that one attached to the car. nyahnyah.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 11 2011, 11:46 AM) *
Just don't drive past 88 MPH with that one attached to the car. nyahnyah.gif

Heh... Blast from the Past. Or is that Future? smile.gif
Stahlseele
It's all relative, when operating at the speed of light.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 11 2011, 12:29 PM) *
It's all relative, when operating at the speed of light.

How very True... smile.gif
CanRay
*Sings in the key of off*
"She's a Killer Queen;
Gunpowder, Gelatine;
Dynamite with a laser beam;
Guaranteed to blow your mind;
Anytime"
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 11 2011, 12:48 PM) *
*Sings in the key of off*
"She's a Killer Queen;
Gunpowder, Gelatine;
Dynamite with a laser beam;
Guaranteed to blow your mind;
Anytime"

You should really start running Canray. smile.gif
CanRay
How many times have I said I wanted to play Shadowrun? I've been wanting to 'run since '92!

Oh, the other type of running. Yeah, can't do that. I'd only die tired and sore.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 11 2011, 01:34 PM) *
How many times have I said I wanted to play Shadowrun? I've been wanting to 'run since '92!

Oh, the other type of running. Yeah, can't do that. I'd only die tired and sore.

Yep, you're right, those Marine Corps Snipers are downright rude... smile.gif
CanRay
Canadian Armed Forces are even worse.

And if we start putting lasers in the hands of snipers, where they don't have to worry about things like windage, rotational spin, and muzzle drop...

Well, physical obstacles and curvature of the Earth are all that'll stop them after that.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 11 2011, 01:47 PM) *

And if we start putting lasers in the hands of snipers, where they don't have to worry about things like windage, rotational spin, and muzzle drop...

Well, physical obstacles and curvature of the Earth are all that'll stop them after that.

Ain't that the Truth...

I'd put my Marines agianst your Mounties any time... biggrin.gif
Stahlseele
And the refraction factor/reflection coefficient
CanRay
"I keep shooting the car the Tango is in, but it has no effect." "Damnit, it's a DeLorian that's been polished to a high shine and mirrored windows! We can't affect it!"
Smokeskin
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 11 2011, 07:57 PM) *
At 15KW I think that Vaporization of Hard Targets is pretty much out. But it would be nice to have some damage comparisons. smile.gif

A 0.2 second pulse could then heat over 10 cubic centimeters of water from body temperature to boiling point. Sounds like a lethal anti-personnel weapon.
Faelan
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 11 2011, 04:47 PM) *

I wantz one, yes my precious lazer rifle, better than a Barrett, better than AI, better than a Walther, better than apple pie! Reach out and touch someone.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Smokeskin @ Jul 11 2011, 02:31 PM) *
A 0.2 second pulse could then heat over 10 cubic centimeters of water from body temperature to boiling point. Sounds like a lethal anti-personnel weapon.

Indeed it does...
Halinn
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 11 2011, 10:52 PM) *
"I keep shooting the car the Tango is in, but it has no effect." "Damnit, it's a DeLorian that's been polished to a high shine and mirrored windows! We can't affect it!"

Wasn't that sort of a thing in Stargate as well? Screw energy weapons, we have bullets!
CanRay
"This... Is a weapon of terror." *Shoots at target with energy staff and hits one shot in four, starting a small fire* "This... Is a weapon of war." *Shreds target with P90*
Christian Lafay
Well remember, the Asgard did turn to the SG team because their weapons were so stupid they worked. "I'll go, Col." "I don't know, Carter. Not sure you can be dumb enough." "I'll try, sir".
CanRay
When all you need is a hammer.

Honestly, projectile weapons are effective even in science fiction because of one basic fact: Simplicity. Even when you miniaturize the system to insane rates, you can pad it up with shock proofing and make it effective for even the most uneducated and brute force grunt you can find.

That said, sometimes that laser does come in handy. Like Sniper Situations as I stated, if they're able to get through the refraction issue. Personally, a Shoulder-Mounted, Backpack Battery-fed laser used as an Anti-Armour weapon scares me.
KarmaInferno
What is to prevent an air-carried 100kw unit on a clear day from just saturating an entire battlefield with laser energy for hours at a time?

You basically can't field ground troops with this thing around.

-k
CanRay
"So, we're carrying around these Disco Balls... Why again?"

EDIT: Spooky just got a light show!
Randomonioum
"All our most high tech weapons... foiled by a simple hand mirror!"
CanRay
It's really obscure, but I remember one of Dad's "Weird War Tales" comics that had a WWII soldier transported into the future, where he met his Grandson who was also fighting in Italy, and had a giant metal dome "Foxhole" that was designed to protect against Sonic Attack.

They also had jetpacks, of course.

As high tech things come forward, high tech and low tech solutions to those things come to the forefront as well. Don't forget what can be done with a carelessly discarded tin of M&V and a hand grenade after all...
Christian Lafay
So how far away are from Val Kilmer making lots and lots of popcorn?
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jul 11 2011, 05:44 PM) *
So how far away are from Val Kilmer making lots and lots of popcorn?

Yes! That's just what I was thinking, reading all of this! smile.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Randomonioum @ Jul 11 2011, 08:22 PM) *
"All our most high tech weapons... foiled by a simple hand mirror!"

I would point out that at the energy outputs we're talking about a hand mirror would last all of a few seconds before burning and melting.

-k
Stahlseele
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 12 2011, 02:11 AM) *
When all you need is a hammer.

Honestly, projectile weapons are effective even in science fiction because of one basic fact: Simplicity. Even when you miniaturize the system to insane rates, you can pad it up with shock proofing and make it effective for even the most uneducated and brute force grunt you can find.

That said, sometimes that laser does come in handy. Like Sniper Situations as I stated, if they're able to get through the refraction issue. Personally, a Shoulder-Mounted, Backpack Battery-fed laser used as an Anti-Armour weapon scares me.

Sounds like the Flash Gitz from DOW II

Edited:
By the way, anyone notice that it says:
"Runtime: continous, as long as coolant and power are provided" ?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 12 2011, 06:32 AM) *
Edited:
By the way, anyone notice that it says:
"Runtime: continous, as long as coolant and power are provided" ?

Of course I did. It's a friggin' laser, why wouldn't that be true?
Randomonioum
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 12 2011, 02:10 AM) *
I would point out that at the energy outputs we're talking about a hand mirror would last all of a few seconds before burning and melting.

-k

I know, but the sentiment still amuses me.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 12 2011, 03:40 PM) *
Of course I did. It's a friggin' laser, why wouldn't that be true?

Well, if it stores energy for strong bursts in capacitators, then it only gets short strong bursts . .
CanRay
When they come out with a Laser Shotgun, I'll update my Zombie Plan.
Stahlseele
Easy enough, you just need optics that split the one huge beam into several smaller ones . .
Or quickfire lasers and mirrors that quickly change the direction at which the beam exits the weapon.
CanRay
The Zeds won't know what hit them!

Not that they ever did to begin with...
Christian Lafay
I say we give the plans to the guy who built a WORKING laser pistol on youtube. See what his mind does with it.
Stahlseele
That'S not a Laser but a Plasma Pistol. And pretty weak . .
Christian Lafay
I thought he made both. One was a white laser and one was a HALO looking plasma... And still impressive for a hobbyist.
Stahlseele
Yah, impressive still, that i will agree on . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012