Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Do you armor for the environment?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
CanRay
Also depends on the person. I'm sure I'd melt in Texas. Hell, I'm almost melting right now, and this would probably be considered a frigid winter in Texas. nyahnyah.gif

On the flipside, I've seen people dressed in so many coats they look like the Michelin Man and still freezing cold in a moderate Northern Ontarian winter.

Winnipeg, well, Siberians complain about the cold here.
Critias
For me (here in Texas), I sure as hell feel like I'm dying when I armor up, and I've got a fairly nice Joe Rocket jacket, with tons of venting. When I'm moving, it's fine. When I'm stuck at a red light, or in those first (and last) few minutes, when I'm walking to and from my bike, though? Pure murder.
Blitz66
Keep in mind that Texas is huge, CanRay. Unless you're having wicked ice storms, your weather isn't colder than a Texas winter.

Figure you're probably joking, but I've known a couple Canadians who happened to be pretty dim, and they weren't aware that snow happened in the southern U.S. Among other things they weren't aware of, but that's a long story.
CanRay
I was joking, yes. I know snow happens in the Southern US, and actually causes death. Not a joking matter.

As for Texas being "Huge", only in comparison to other US States (Other than Alaska). Provinces, now, those are huge. nyahnyah.gif
Blitz66
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 19 2011, 03:00 AM) *
As for Texas being "Huge", only in comparison to other US States (Other than Alaska). Provinces, now, those are huge. nyahnyah.gif

Well, yes, but there's actually stuff in Texas. nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
We got stuff. Rocks, trees, hydroelectric dams, ... ... ... Black flies!
CanadianWolverine
QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Jul 18 2011, 07:09 PM) *
Well, yes, but there's actually stuff in Texas. nyahnyah.gif

Oh, hahahaha...

Oh man, someone please send Blitz66 on a run into any province, hell, even PEI, I want him to find out how little "stuff" is in a province. I suspect we would have to send out a search party eventually biggrin.gif

rotfl.gif

But hey, when a Texan is missing fucking up things in a big way, there is always Alberta nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
So... We go from one group of overcompensating gun-toting rednecks to a different group of overcompensating gun-toting rednecks? nyahnyah.gif

Oh man, my Ontarian is showing, isn't it?
Blitz66
See, if there was anything there, I could find my own way back.
CanRay
Use distinctive looking trees and rocks. nyahnyah.gif
Blitz66
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 19 2011, 03:42 AM) *
Use distinctive looking trees and rocks. nyahnyah.gif

Odd thing with trees and rocks. They look an awful lot like other nearby trees and rocks.
CanRay
Only if you don't know what to look for. Also, a buck knife will fix that problem right quick.

Rocks and trees and trees and rocks and rocks and trees...
Blitz66
Did cold weather survival training. Probably better suited to survive and appreciate it than most Americans. But needling Canadians is a favored pastime of mine. My eternal rival - until I inevitably triumph and slay him, naturally - is from Alberta. One of these years he and I are going to go on a training trip to the mountains nearest there. Exchange my fist fighting knowledge for his sword techniques.

But it's still lots and lots of not much up there. nyahnyah.gif

Anyway, back in the topic, my players are clever enough to know I reward them for thinking about things their characters would, like comfort. And would penalize them if they pushed too hard without it, naturally. So whatever the game system, they opt for everything they can that keeps them warm, dry, fed, and watered properly. In Shadowrun, that's climate controls.
X-Kalibur
I'd laugh my ass off to hear about a run in South America (Amazonia, whatever) with runners losing toes and whatnot to jungle rot.
CanRay
Trench Foot, nasty thing!
KeyMasterOfGozer
QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Jul 17 2011, 02:09 PM) *
Considering the availability of climate-controlled clothing, I don't think bulky clothes are necessarily out of place anywhere. Just say you wouldn't be without your air-conditioned overcoat in this heat. Hey, make it true, even. Winter and rain need less justification, but climate control on all your heavy gear is still a great idea.

I see the Climate Controlled clothing a lot in this Thread. I have been looking through books, and I cannot find this Armor Modification. Where do I find it?
HunterHerne
QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jul 19 2011, 07:40 PM) *
I'd laugh my ass off to hear about a run in South America (Amazonia, whatever) with runners losing toes and whatnot to jungle rot.

Haha. That will be a laugh. I'm particularily cruel, in that I occasionally call for random body checks (especially in cold or warm weather) to contract diseases (usually a mild cold is what I have in mind, but if they Glitch or crit glitch, it could be a lot worse). So far, no one has contracted anything, but one of these days...
suoq
So far this year I've camped with the Boy Scouts in 0 degree F and 95 degree F (113 degree F heat index) (-17C / 35C / 45C).

I think in both conditions I would have been unable to properly operate the safety on my gun after 48 hours. In both conditions my brain and body began to shut down after prolonged exposure. I wasn't alone in that.

------------

In-Book items:
Smart Insulation - Upgrade for Orthoskin. Augmentation 68.
Climate Adaptation quality - Runner's Companion 112
Industrious Line - Arsenal 47 (Winterwear)
Polar Survival Suit - Arsenal 52
Insulation - SR4A pg 327 for cold weather

No clue about that climate control people are talking about.

Of all of the above, the Smart Insulation has the most appeal to me and if climate will be an issue, seems the best solution. Personally, I'd probably invest in the Electroshock as well.
Critias
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 19 2011, 09:11 PM) *
So far this year I've camped with the Boy Scouts in 0 degree F and 95 degree F (113 degree F heat index) (-17C / 35C / 45C).

Man, I miss Scouting sometimes.
Blitz66
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 20 2011, 03:11 AM) *

Wow, really? I was sure I saw it SOMEWHERE. Oh well. One way in which Shadowrun tech is falling behind modern tech, slowly but steadily.
ggodo
I remember in House of the Sun Dermal Plating with abs sculpted on is popular in Hawai'i
Blade
QUOTE (suoq @ Jul 20 2011, 04:11 AM) *

I'm pretty sure there's something about it in the Sprawl Survival Guide.
KeyMasterOfGozer
QUOTE (Blade @ Jul 20 2011, 02:47 AM) *
I'm pretty sure there's something about it in the Sprawl Survival Guide.

I'm not saying it's not there, but I wasn't able to find it this morning looking there.
CanRay
QUOTE (ggodo @ Jul 20 2011, 12:38 AM) *
I remember in House of the Sun Dermal Plating with abs sculpted on is popular in Hawai'i
"He is armour, Brah.", IIRC.

It's a good way of getting around the issue. Especially Orthoskin with Smart Insulation!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 19 2011, 09:33 PM) *
Man, I miss Scouting sometimes.

Only Sometimes. About as much as I miss the "Camping" involved with being deployed to the Deserts of Saudi Arabia, Iraq, and Kuwait. I have pretty much had my fill of it over the years.
CanRay
"Join the Military, it's like the Boy Scouts, only people try to kill you. If you're lucky, it's not your own side!"
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 20 2011, 11:53 AM) *
"Join the Military, it's like the Boy Scouts, only people try to kill you. If you're lucky, it's not your own side!"

Heh... Indeed. Not saying I did not enjoy the Military. I enjoyed the hell out of it. Just saying that I have put in my time in the wilds. I like Civilization, thank you very much. smile.gif
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 20 2011, 11:53 AM) *
"Join the Military politics, it's like the Boy Scouts, only people try to kill you. If you're lucky, it's not your own side!"

HunterHerne
Complete with all the sexual deviance,
CanRay
Please, there's sexual deviance everywhere you go. It's just exposed more in some areas than others, and a few folks are more honest about it.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 21 2011, 03:15 AM) *
Please, there's sexual deviance everywhere you go. It's just exposed more in some areas than others, and a few folks are more honest about it.

Yeah, I know.
Daddy's Little Ninja
My husband is English and was in the British army before coming to America. He is a re-enactor now and has to admuit that the hot weather is too much for him. Though I do not think most runners would wear a wool frock coat and bear skin hat.

"My northern european blood" he is fond of saying, keeps him from really doing much in the summer but in winter he is unstoppable. Or is he just trying to avoid restaining our porch?
CanRay
I'm from the Northern Ontario Mountains (A valley to be exact), and moved to Winnipeg. We've had a record breaker here for heat, and a light t-shirt was too much for me. And it's not as hot as things are going for other folks in the US.

I think. Stupid ancient measuring system still confuses me and makes me go, "Why the hell isn't water boiling at that temperature!"
Aku
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 22 2011, 08:46 PM) *
I'm from the Northern Ontario Mountains (A valley to be exact), and moved to Winnipeg. We've had a record breaker here for heat, and a light t-shirt was too much for me. And it's not as hot as things are going for other folks in the US.

I think. Stupid ancient measuring system still confuses me and makes me go, "Why the hell isn't water boiling at that temperature!"

Imagine feeling that weather! sometimes i walk outside and think the same thing!
Angelone
The whole "northern European blood" thing is fairly accurate. I'm the same way if it's cold out I'm great get me in temperatures much above 70 and I'm done. It's been triple digits here the last couple of weeks. /sad dropbear

I could have sworn all armor had climate control, is it in the basic description maybe?
Brazilian_Shinobi
Complain about heat when you come to Recife (Hellcife as we call it sometimes) where the lowest temperature of the year is 22ºC at night in July and the highest can go as much as 35ºC ALL DAY during summer
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jul 25 2011, 05:13 AM) *
Complain about heat when you come to Recife (Hellcife as we call it sometimes) where the lowest temperature of the year is 22ºC at night in July and the highest can go as much as 35ºC ALL DAY during summer

Copmplain about the Heat when the average Swing Temperature is over 100 Degrees from Day to Night. 125-130 in the day, and below freezing at night. That really sucks. For reference: Kuwait, sometime between August and March.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 25 2011, 08:21 AM) *
Copmplain about the Heat when the average Swing Temperature is over 100 Degrees from Day to Night. 125-130 in the day, and below freezing at night. That really sucks. For reference: Kuwait, sometime between August and March.

Same idea in the Andes mountains of Peru, up close to the equator. Though not quite so dramatic a change. It doesn't even need a full day-night shift. At 4000+ meters altitude, just walk into the shade and back out.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jul 25 2011, 06:24 AM) *
Same idea in the Andes mountains of Peru, up close to the equator. Though not quite so dramatic a change. It doesn't even need a full day-night shift. At 4000+ meters altitude, just walk into the shade and back out.

Heheh... Yeah, that would suck, though I could see some benefits to that. smile.gif
CanRay
On the flip side to the equation, I have a Swiss Army Mountain Greatcoat (The same type that some bullets bounce off of) that I've worn only a few times here. Every other time, it'd be like walking around in an oven, even when it's well below freezing outside.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 25 2011, 03:26 PM) *
On the flip side to the equation, I have a Swiss Army Mountain Greatcoat (The same type that some bullets bounce off of) that I've worn only a few times here. Every other time, it'd be like walking around in an oven, even when it's well below freezing outside.

There are definitely times, here in Colorado, that I would like to have something like that.
Ascalaphus
If you're feeling mischievous as a GM, you can have a spell of freak weather, too. (I just got back from a weeklong holiday in Glasgow. The weather was sunny all week long; everyone was confused about it. I'd brought lots of bad-weather clothing of course...)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012