Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What mini-net release book would you like?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Rubic
QUOTE (sabs @ Jul 15 2011, 10:20 AM) *
Sure but the Quebecois don't even think the Acadians are speaking real french smile.gif
And really, for shadowrun that sort of rampant culturalism makes for awesome gamage. Quebec is one of my favorite Shadowrun settings to run a game in. Although I admit, my Quebec isn't SR-RAW.

The basics of Quebec for me:
1) All corporations must be owned by someone with Quebec Citizenship.
2) Most of the population is centered around Montreal and Quebec City.
3) The wilderness is a giant Awakened Critter wilderness. There are small communities of independents dotting the landscape, but they tend to get run over by horrible magical crap.
4) The #1 Magic Tradition is Catholicism. The Quebec Catholic Church trains Mages, and they tend to go out and protect said small communities.
5) The racism is rampant, but weird. Naga, Centaurs, etc are non-humans. They are hunted, and served in some of the finer restaurants. Metahumans are treated like trash, and Trolls keep on running into this problem that the Government can't decide if they should be on the bounty list or not. Unless, they are Native French Speakers. That's the most important trait. A French Troll is given more respect, than an non-french Human.
6) Only Native French Speakers are Quebec Citizens. Non-French speakers are literally second-class citizens, or immigrant workers with "work visas" who are forced to live in the 'Barrens'. Because in order to be a citizen, and have a valid Quebec SiN, you must speak french.
7) There are very few sinnless, but most people have 'work sins' and still live in the barrens.

It really makes for some amusing 'running.

I think I may like this better than RAW... need to go compare notes...
sabs
Oh another thing I forgot.

Quebec didn't get as badly decimated financially. So they've actually got a pretty nice high-tech society going.
Their chief money makers are:
1) we rent out remote wilderness locations for super-secret facilities, and we look the other way long as nothing bad escapes.
2) a fair bit of Matrix-Programming gets done in Quebec.
3) Magical Components. Things harvested from Paracritters, or from magical plants, or rocks.
4) factories, with cheap labor. The only caviat, is that the Factory has to be owned by a Quebecois. So for AAA's that means the Regional Director has to be Quebecois. That's not as big a deal as it might sound.
CanRay
Sounds like what I've heard about Quebec City IRL. 'Course, most of that was after my Father was denied medical attention after the breaks on his trailer locked up and he rolled his transport truck.

Made the mistake of talking to them in Ontarian French-Canadian. They left him, covered in glass, in the ER Hallway, while taunting the "Poor widdle Anglo that hurt himself."

My views of things might be just a tiny bit biased.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 15 2011, 09:13 AM) *
Sounds like what I've heard about Quebec City IRL. 'Course, most of that was after my Father was denied medical attention after the breaks on his trailer locked up and he rolled his transport truck.

Made the mistake of talking to them in Ontarian French-Canadian. They left him, covered in glass, in the ER Hallway, while taunting the "Poor widdle Anglo that hurt himself."

Biased? Really? Say it isn't so...
Have to say, though, that that sucks...
squee_nabob
A netbook with matrix stuff! specifically sample nodes, and examples on matrix actions
Kyrel
Amongst other things I'd personally like to see:

Sourcebook: Scandinavia
Sourcebook: Germany
Sourcebook: Russia
Maybe a selection of different building and luxury vehicle blueprints/floorplans.
Tanegar
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 15 2011, 12:13 PM) *

So, how much did he sue the hospital for?
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 15 2011, 07:26 PM) *

Yah, just wanted to ask the same.
Nebular
QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 15 2011, 04:56 AM) *
There's DeGenesis for that.

ARGH! I really wish I understood German! The English preview sounds really neat.

Be nice if the net books had more content that was available to the characters rather than a bunch of expensive (though very neat) vehicles and gear that was designed for NPC/military use.
ravensoracle
Since Magic has been around as long as it has in the SR verse. I'd like to see some new developments that actually allow a team to deal with magic that doesn't involve a mage. Yes magic is rare... Yes magic deals with magic... But youd think after all that time there would be something more developed along the lines of mundanes protecting themselves from magic that doesn't involved something Awakened.

And with that I mean something a little more subtle than just "Geek the Mage, First."
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 15 2011, 01:26 PM) *

Probably not much. In Canada, one can't sue for things like mental trauma or anything like that. The most anyone can really hope to achieve is sueing for lost wages, and that's it.
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (ravensoracle @ Jul 15 2011, 07:36 PM) *
Since Magic has been around as long as it has in the SR verse. I'd like to see some new developments that actually allow a team to deal with magic that doesn't involve a mage. Yes magic is rare... Yes magic deals with magic... But youd think after all that time there would be something more developed along the lines of mundanes protecting themselves from magic that doesn't involved something Awakened.

And with that I mean something a little more subtle than just "Geek the Mage, First."

A nice juicy manatech and mana-countertech book would be nice yeah.
hermit
Sourcebook: Scandinavia

Shadows of Europe

Sourcebook: Germany

Germany Sourcebook? biggrin.gif Or have the Berlin and Rhine-Ruhr boks translated. Berlin's pretty good, and Rhine-Ruhr looks to be the same.

Sourcebook: Russia

Shadows of Asia and Target: Smuggler Havens.

Maybe a selection of different building and luxury vehicle blueprints/floorplans.

Something like a new Sprawl Sites, with plans for all kinds of things and encounters? +1 on that!

ARGH! I really wish I understood German! The English preview sounds really neat.

I'm not such a fan of the rules, but it is a very ncie world, and DeGenesis has, hands down, the best art I've ever seen in an RPG supplement.
Tanegar
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 15 2011, 04:05 PM) *
Probably not much. In Canada, one can't sue for things like mental trauma or anything like that. The most anyone can really hope to achieve is sueing for lost wages, and that's it.

Does the concept of malpractice not exist in Canada? Pretty sure that leaving a trauma patient in the hallway with no treatment whatsoever counts.
Megu
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jul 15 2011, 02:11 PM) *
A nice juicy manatech and mana-countertech book would be nice yeah.

I'd get behind this.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Megu @ Jul 15 2011, 11:06 PM) *
I'd get behind this.

me too, but i'd be there with a big huge axe or something . .
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 15 2011, 04:36 PM) *
Does the concept of malpractice not exist in Canada? Pretty sure that leaving a trauma patient in the hallway with no treatment whatsoever counts.

Malpractice exists, but more as a means of taking people out of their job, instead of as a way to get rich from their failure to help.

Even with Canada's universal healthcare, it is worth noting that they only need to make sure you will live. And the health care providers are generally over taxed, like everywhere else. If the nurses and technicians didn't think your injuries were severe enough to warrent immediate attention in the ER, they can leave you in the hall until they can get to you.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 15 2011, 02:46 PM) *
Malpractice exists, but more as a means of taking people out of their job, instead of as a way to get rich from their failure to help.

Even with Canada's universal healthcare, it is worth noting that they only need to make sure you will live. And the health care providers are generally over taxed, like everywhere else. If the nurses and technicians didn't think your injuries were severe enough to warrent immediate attention in the ER, they can leave you in the hall until they can get to you.

Triage sucks... frown.gif
CanRay
Also, it would have meant having the law suit in the city/province of origin. And, frankly, who is the judge (Who just might be a former FLQ member. That's right, Canada's own Home-Grown Terrorists are now JUDGES!) going to believe?

The Anglo truck driver from Ontario, or the good honest and true doctors and nurses from Quebec?
KarmaInferno
I just remember a quote I heard awhile back.

"There are more MRI machines on one street in New York than the entirety of Quebec."

I dunno how true it is, but I would not be greatly surprised if it were.

-k
CanRay
Considering there's more PEOPLE in New York City than there is in Quebec...
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Jul 14 2011, 12:18 AM) *
I'd like a booklet on BTLs and drugs. I'd really like BTLs with game effects, just like drugs get right now, including all the downsides. And personafixes.

When Unwired was being put together, the one chapter that really hit my buttons was on Skillsofts/BTLs/Personafixes. My first-ever submission as a freelancer and it didn't get picked, but I still have my very loose work around here (Which didn't get sent in mind you! It was a fluff-only submission, sans crunch.) I'd be thrilled to spin it up into 8 pages for a PDF download. (Well, a quarter of a 32 page download, but, you know what I mean.)

Aside from that, I'd personally love to see a NERPS! download, full of brand names, style, and media notes ... something closer to Shadowbeat than Attitude. Even a simple list can give the universe color... for example:

Ares Predator IV -- Effectively identical weapons form other companies include the Aztechnology Jaguar, Lone Star's Ruger Thunderbolt, Ranraku's Wakizashi-2066, Cavalier Arms Ltd's CAL-19, and Telestran Industry's Illustreal

You'd add some new mechanics, since everybody loves a couple new pages of crunch, but the majority can simply be fluff, because, well, that's groovy.

After that? Geeze, uhm, the 320 level for runners remains a personal fave (I love me some rookies), a book full of art is always nice (And a good tryout for new artists, see who can make deadlines and such), the aforementioned need for a few new civillian vehicles, uhm. Oh! Yes, updated maps ala Sprawl Sites... all of us D&D guys are addicted to maps and minis, so, a small bone thrown is always nice.

With the PDF microbook format, you can cover a LOT of concepts that would never see play for a 'real' suppliment.
Kyrel
Hermit!

Thanks for the info on the old books. I only got into SR with the SR4A edition, so I'm not very familiar with the old books.

/Kyrel
hermit
You'r ewelcome. Figured as much. Check them out, they're worth it (except Germany SB, except if you're really into Pink Mohawk). Shadows of Europe has updates on Germany SB.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012