Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Psychotropic Black Ice
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Daddy's Little Ninja
I always liked that as a plot device. Was the dackers just knockedo ut by grey ice? Survived Black or did she get reprogrammed?
Yerameyahu
It's in Unwired.
Daddy's Little Ninja
Can you say what page? I keep missing it. That was why I posted here.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Jul 22 2011, 05:48 PM) *
Can you say what page? I keep missing it. That was why I posted here.

Unwired, 115.
Daddy's Little Ninja
vegm.gif Thanks.
Fatum
I kinda sorta feel using those is kinda a dick move by a GM - there's a random chance you're giving a character a crippling permanent disorder, even if he hasn't done anything wrong.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Which, in theory, you could get removed through Psychotherapy... Just Sayin' smile.gif

Makes for an interesting Story.
Fatum
Makes for an interesting story, if the player's ready to tell it. Most players I know are not.
CanRay
I gave it to one of my PCs in a campaign that fell apart. It went into his Datajack's hardware memory (Limited though it was) and stuck him in a Simsense Loop where he was in a room with four doors, that lead to a room with four doors...

He never took a door for granted ever again.
Wakshaani
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 22 2011, 11:11 PM) *
I kinda sorta feel using those is kinda a dick move by a GM - there's a random chance you're giving a character a crippling permanent disorder, even if he hasn't done anything wrong.

Well, aside from illegally break into some secure area and started poking through someone's private files, looking for stuff to steal and sell off for cash.

But, you know, aside from *that*...

biggrin.gif
Yerameyahu
Sorry, Daddy's Little. I forget that the books exist in non-PDF (searchable!) form. biggrin.gif
CanRay
I like my books printed on the dead bodies of many, many trees!
Halinn
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 23 2011, 12:33 PM) *
I like my books printed on the dead bodies of many, many trees!

Stop that newfangled drek. You need them carved onto giant slabs of rock.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 22 2011, 05:52 PM) *
Makes for an interesting story, if the player's ready to tell it. Most players I know are not.

That may very well be the case. But you really have to trust your GM. If you can't do that, the story will go nowhere anyways. wobble.gif
Sir_Psycho
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 22 2011, 06:11 PM) *
I kinda sorta feel using those is kinda a dick move by a GM - there's a random chance you're giving a character a crippling permanent disorder.

You're right, I'm going to have the sam shot in the kneecap and the mage's eyes gouged. Happy now?
Halinn
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jul 23 2011, 06:14 PM) *
You're right, I'm going to have the sam shot in the kneecap and the mage's eyes gouged. Happy now?

The sam probably has more armor in the cyberleg, and the mage will get better with cybereyes anyhow. This makes me happy.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Sir_Psycho @ Jul 23 2011, 12:14 PM) *

Or just play in my games, where a good amount of regular damage can lead to any and all of the above. Plus the slow heal times in which you'll be in trouble, if not completely gimped, when you try to do a good paying run.
Jhaiisiin
I feel sad every time I see someone post about how their players won't roll with some issue imposed upon their character. I've been hella fortunate in that nearly every player I've gamed with could take a crippling psychosis and integrate it and build a story off of it in a heartbeat.

Makes me count my blessings for the group I have, that's for sure.
Socinus
Last time I used it was against a player that couldn't take the hint that a ROLE playing game meant you had to actually ROLE play, not just nod your head and say "Ok" whenever something happened.

If I'm GMing, I tend to reserve dick moves for when a player needs a...gentile reminder of some very important fact.
Jhaiisiin
Yeah, unfortunately too many people think it's Roll-playing instead of Role-playing.
CanRay
I crave any further chances to drive my characters insane.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Socinus @ Jul 24 2011, 08:42 PM) *
If I'm GMing, I tend to reserve dick moves for when a player needs a...gentile reminder of some very important fact.

As opposed to Jewish Reminders? smile.gif
Socinus
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 25 2011, 01:01 PM) *

**Headdesk** I HATE making that mistake. They BOTH look fucking correct!
Aku
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 25 2011, 08:01 AM) *

A friendly Jewish Reminder, from your Friend, Adam Sandler:

Pu on your Yamaka, it's time to celebrate Hanukkah!
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Socinus @ Jul 25 2011, 10:34 AM) *
**Headdesk** I HATE making that mistake. They BOTH look fucking correct!

Heheheh... No Worries... And I got a good laugh out of it... smile.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 25 2011, 08:01 AM) *
Or Mormon ones?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 25 2011, 03:28 PM) *
Or Mormon ones?

Those too... wobble.gif
Bigity
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jul 22 2011, 05:11 PM) *

Never play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay then. Getting insanities is part of the game, along with mutations that make you an enemy of everyone except the bad guys you've been fighting your whole adventuring career.

And technicially, the decker did do something wrong, and went up against the wrong system.
CanRay
"Ma's Groceries has Psychotropic IC? WHY THE HELL DOES MA'S GROCERIES HAVE PSYCHOTROPIC IC???"
Bigity
If they could afford it, it would program deckers to eat groceries from there and only there.
CanRay
"How long has he been screaming about Ma's Groceries?" "Ever since we did that PCC DMV run. I think it's a new form of paid advertising." "Are there any Ma's Groceries outlets in Seattle?" "No, but there's one in the Cascade Ork territory."
Erik Baird
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 26 2011, 03:51 PM) *
"How long has he been screaming about Ma's Groceries?" "Ever since we did that PCC DMV run. I think it's a new form of paid advertising." "Are there any Ma's Groceries outlets in Seattle?" "No, but there's one in the Cascade Ork territory."

I have got to fit that into a campaign sometime.
CanRay
"ANOTHER smuggling run into the Cascade Ork lands?" "Need Ma's Groceries! They have a deal on TOILET PAPER!!!" "We really got to get that guy's brain fixed." "A few more 'Runs, and we'll be able to afford the chair from 'A Clockwork Orange'."

Feel free to use it.
Dreadlord
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 27 2011, 03:16 PM) *
"ANOTHER smuggling run into the Cascade Ork lands?" "Need Ma's Groceries! They have a deal on TOILET PAPER!!!" "We really got to get that guy's brain fixed." "A few more 'Runs, and we'll be able to afford the chair from 'A Clockwork Orange'."

Feel free to use it.

You sir, are chock full of awesome! You have GOT to write that up in a short story!
Fatum
QUOTE (Bigity @ Jul 26 2011, 11:07 PM) *
Never play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay then. Getting insanities is part of the game, along with mutations that make you an enemy of everyone except the bad guys you've been fighting your whole adventuring career.

And technicially, the decker did do something wrong, and went up against the wrong system.
See, when it's part of the game from the very beginning, like in WH-related systems, the players are prepared for it, so they have no qualms about it.
The problem is not choosing the wrong system (after all, it's very hard to predict whether that particular host will have psychotropic IC), it's the fact that everything standing between a competent hacker doing his job well and permanent insanity is a single botched dice roll.
Bigity
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 4 2011, 02:48 AM) *
See, when it's part of the game from the very beginning, like in WH-related systems, the players are prepared for it, so they have no qualms about it.
The problem is not choosing the wrong system (after all, it's very hard to predict whether that particular host will have psychotropic IC), it's the fact that everything standing between a competent hacker doing his job well and permanent insanity is a single botched dice roll.

And having used up all his Edge on previous botched die rolls, a hint that they may be into something they aren't prepared for.
Fatum
Not really - a hacker isn't likely to reroll failed defense rolls against IC unless he knows it's psychotropic, and he isn't too likely to analyze every IC he encounters, either.
Troyminator
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 23 2011, 12:30 PM) *
Plus the slow heal times in which you'll be in trouble, if not completely gimped, when you try to do a good paying run.

What are your rules for healing if they are different from the SR4A rules on Pg. 252 and 253?
Troyminator
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 25 2011, 05:28 PM) *
Or Mormon ones?

They remind me enough knocking on my door on Saturday mornings. smile.gif

ps if you can't tell, I haven't figured out how to use "multi-quote" yet.

<edited for PS>
CanRay
I lived two houses down from the staging area that the Mormons had for the neighborhood. They finally got the hint when they woke my Stepfather (A truck driver with many, many tattoos and a bad, bad attitude) literally an hour after he got off the road. They didn't even bother saying anything except for: "Sorry for waking you, sir.", and ran. Very quickly. nyahnyah.gif

MA'S GROCERIES!!! NEED MORE MA'S GROCERIES!!!
Rubic
I designed a character that I released into GM hands as an NPC who used a psychotropic less-lethal black hammer. The effect was a negative to social rolls as the person affected would compulsively, without knowing, do the "loser" salute with their right hand. The reason it was this innoccuous is the character's designed personality being playful, rather than destructive. This works two-fold: 1) makes the target more easily identifiable after the fact, 2) is entertaining while less likely to get a series of bullets through the head like a more problematic effect would.
Troyminator
QUOTE (Rubic @ Aug 8 2011, 12:54 PM) *
I designed a character that I released into GM hands as an NPC who used a psychotropic less-lethal black hammer. The effect was a negative to social rolls as the person affected would compulsively, without knowing, do the "loser" salute with their right hand. The reason it was this innoccuous is the character's designed personality being playful, rather than destructive. This works two-fold: 1) makes the target more easily identifiable after the fact, 2) is entertaining while less likely to get a series of bullets through the head like a more problematic effect would.

I like it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012