Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Burning Man
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bushw4cker
I have an idea for a Psionic Character I might use for PC or NPC.
His glitches always seem to set things ablaze. Commlinks spontaneously combust. Stunbolt becomes Ignite, Influence becomes Ignite, Levitate is still Levitate, but now it's on Fire, Orgasm..it starts on fire.. All his ware has been acquired due to "Accidents" when spellcasting. Which explains his High Pain Tolerance (Getting shot just doesn't seem quite so bad after literally having great balls of fire)

I haven't done math yet this is just rough draft. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Race:Elf

Attributes Rating
Body 3
Agility 4
Reaction 5
Strength 3
Charisma 3
Intuition 5
Logic 3
Willpower 5
Edge 2
Essence 5.05
Magic 5
Initiative 10
Initiative Passes 1

Running 3
Climbing 3
Gymnastics 3
Swimming 3
Spellcasting (Combat +2) 5
Counterspelling (Combat +2) 4
Dodge (Ranged +2) 5
Unarmed Combat (Touch +2) 3
Perception (Visual +2) 3
Infiltration (Urban +2) 2
Etiquette 2
Pilot Ground Craft 2

Knowledge Skills Rating
Parapsychology 3
Firefighting 2
Local Area Knowledge 3
Trid Shows 3
Music 2
Fashion 2
Chemistry 2
Conspiracy Theories 1

Language Skills Rating
English N
Japanese 2

Positive Qualities
Magician (Psionic)
High Pain Tolerance-2
Focused Concentration-1

Negative Qualities
Aspected Magician (Sorcerer)
Spirit Bane (Fire)
Cursed-3
Gremlins-1

Cyberware (16450)
Cybereyes (Rating 1)
Lowlight Flarecomp
Obvious Cyberhand (Right)
Armor-2
Obvious Cyberhand (Left)
Armor-2
Penile Implant

Armor (1300) Ballistic Impact Fire Resistance
Cyberlimbs 4 4
Lined Coat 6 4 6

Spells (50 Karma)
Orgasm
Stunbolt
Knockout
Influence
Levitate
Heal
Ignite
Phantasm
Invisibility
Detect Individual
Makki
I don't think this works.
first, the spells don't fit the idea of a Psionic. Neither does the idea of setting things on fire. How does he explain this, if he believes Magic does not exist?
second, this guy has 10 dice for spells that are not combat spells.
he glitches on 1 1 x x x x x x x x, m math is not god right now, but the chance is awfully high. And glitch will never do something in your favor...
Traul
Sounds fun, but how long do you think you can last before your own buddies kill you?
Bushw4cker
pyrokinesis

Awakened characters who believe their abilities to be purely
psionic in nature are rare in the Sixth World, however, they pose
a unique perspective on the nature of magic and may provide interesting
roleplaying opportunities for players and gamemasters
alike (p. 45, Street Magic). Most psionics consider the belief in
magic and the supernatural as mere superstition and mystoreligious
nonsense dressed up as pseudo-science and fueled by
yet-to-be-explained psychic and natural phenomena. For instance,
Conjuring is considered the shaping of autonomous psychic constructs
known as “thought forms.” To a psionic it is only natural
that mystics perceive them as spirits and attribute magical correspondences
to them since these are believed to distill aspects of
a psionic’s own psychic abilities (i.e. fire is linked to pyrokinesis,
air is linked to clairvoyance, etc.). Psionics, too, are capable of
“imprinting” and commanding such thought forms on the astral
plane—though depending on concentration and willpower of the
psionic, the thought form may be more or less capable of independent
action. In game terms, these incorporeal “thought forms”
are normal spirits that interact with the physical world through
possession (p. 101, Street Magic)—though psionics do not believe
in preparing vessels through enchanting.
Psionic characters are able to astrally perceive and project
(even to the metaplanes), use Counterspelling, create wards
(“mental shields,”) and may even use appropriate foci (i.e. crystals
to focus their mental energies, etc). The gamemaster and player
should discuss what spells are appropriate for the psionic character
given the character’s understanding of the forces at work.
Because a psionic believes that all of his energies are fueled from
within, these characters may not choose to take a Mentor Spirit.
As a guideline, spells should be restricted to abilities that could be
ascribed to “the power of the mind” and para-scientific paradigm
of psionic abilities. Note that traditionally, psionics encompasses
a wide range of abilities (such as telepathy, empathy, clairsentience,
telekinetics, pyrokinetics, cryokinetics, vitakinetics, to name but
a few), and this limitation can be as restrictive or flexible as necessary
to fit the style and setting of the game.
Alternatively, players wishing to create a psionic character
conforming to a more “classic” conception of mentalist—focusing
on his spell-like abilities and disregarding conjuring—have only
to create a magician character of the psionic tradition and take
the Aspected Magician (Sorcerer) Quality (p. 26, Street Magic)
to represent the limitations imposed by the character’s own beliefs
HunterHerne
I agree with Makki. The concept is a little flawed, too. It sounds like you want to make an unwilling pyrokinetic, but if that is so, Flamethrower makes more sense then ignite (faster time of effect, actually burns things that are highly processed, etc.), but again, Cursed should never be positive.
Detect Individual, Heal, and Phantasm don't strike me as Psionic powers. To me, a Psionic is someone whointeracts with the real world more then the astral, and the individual, in the case of mental manipulations and illusions. Detect Individual strikes me as the Psionic having a mental link to a specific person, and while that is alright, I think a Psion would use something more like Detect Life.
As for Heal, it doesn't strike me as psionic to restore things to natural working order. So, most of the restorative healing spells are out. I can see a Psionic stabilizing, but not reversing damage.

These are only my opinion, however. So take it with a grain of salt.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jul 24 2011, 06:26 PM) *
Orgasm...becomes Agony(Elemental Effect: Fire)

Only Combat and Manipulation spells can have elemental effects. Agony is an Illusion spell.
Stahlseele
There is hot potatoe though . . imagine that cast on your little pocket billard set . .
Bushw4cker
Orgasm -It's all mental
Stunbolt -Psychokinesis or telekinesis - Manipulation of matter, space, time or energy.
Knockout -Psychokinesis or telekinesis - Manipulation of matter, space, time or energy.
Influence -Mental
Levitate -Transvection - Bodily levitation or flying.
Heal -Biofield energy healing - Healing by channelling a form of energy
Ignite -Pyrokinesis
Phantasm -Mental images
Invisibility -controlling others minds on what they see or don't see
Detect Individual -Clairvoyance - Perception outside the known human senses
Bushw4cker
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 24 2011, 11:36 PM) *
Only Combat and Manipulation spells can have elemental effects. Agony is an Illusion spell.

Cursed is a negative quality, it's effects should be hindering to the character (and entertaining to others)

Lets say your with your lady friend and you want to show off your bedroom magic, and cast orgasm, and your partner's parts start on fire. I think that would fit the Cursed quality criteria.
Traul
Depends: maybe you wanted her shaven.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jul 24 2011, 07:51 PM) *
Cursed is a negative quality, it's effects should be hindering to the character (and entertaining to others)

Lets say your with your lady friend and you want to show off your bedroom magic, and cast orgasm, and your partner's parts start on fire. I think that would fit the Cursed quality criteria.

But isn't Agony. More like ignite. I have played with the idea of a psionic, and really, I think the best first spell should be a version of Shape [element], based on what you want. In this case, fire. If not, it is a good way to eventually go, as he learns to control his power more effectively.
Tanegar
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jul 24 2011, 07:51 PM) *

So Orgasm becomes Ignite. Agony could make her feel as if her ladybits were on fire, but it couldn't actually set her ladybits on fire.
Bushw4cker
This might be one character, where having a lower logic might actually open up a wider range of "Spells" for the character. A more intelligent character might have a better understanding of the minds limitations.

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate ~ Terry Pratchett
Bushw4cker
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 24 2011, 11:57 PM) *
But isn't Agony. More like ignite. I have played with the idea of a psionic, and really, I think the best first spell should be a version of Shape [element], based on what you want. In this case, fire. If not, it is a good way to eventually go, as he learns to control his power more effectively.

Character is rough draft, I might change spell selection. Shape Fire might be good idea
Bushw4cker
Even one of the examples of Cursed Quality says Conjuring a Water Elemental, caster ends up with clothes catching on fire.
Bushw4cker
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 25 2011, 12:00 AM) *
So Orgasm becomes Ignite. Agony could make her feel as if her ladybits were on fire, but it couldn't actually set her ladybits on fire.

I think by definition of cursed quality it could start them on fire (Talk about Burning Bush!)
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jul 24 2011, 08:10 PM) *
I think by definition of cursed quality it could start them on fire (Talk about Burning Bush!)

That is true. Cursed really isn't restricted to spell selection.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jul 24 2011, 05:27 PM) *
*snip*: Psionic Tradition

Could someone with the updated/reprinted Anniversary Edition please post the description of the Psionic's tradition from it? I heard that it made it into the core book in the latest version, and that it doesn't have any of the arbitrary and stupid limitation that the other traditions don't either.

I'm looking at your Ware and stats, and.... something occured to me.
you have 210 BP in stats, and 30 in metatype. Hmn.
In karmagen, you have 350 for stats. Acceptable.

Have you considered going Free Spirit? I can easily see this character being the unwitting spirit of comedic and tragic fire accidents.
Stat wise, you should come out ahead in every way for the cost, particularly if you're using karmagen.(its 340 karma total for race and force 6)
KCKitsune
Bushw4cker, I came up with rules for Psionics. I've attached them here for your (and everyone elses) viewing pleasure. If you prefer a more organized and readable format, then PM me.

Psionics in Shadowrun

Design Principles
When I went about designing these rules I wanted to make sure of three things:

1) These rules were fair, balanced, and not a Power Gamers dream come true.
2) The Psion archtype was something that players would want to play.
3) The rules for Psionics were in line with the rest of the Shadowrun Core gaming system.

If I fail in any of these three things then this just becomes another Fan-Wank munchkin “class”. I want to have something that will be fun to play. If I have failed in this then please email me at kckitsune@gmail.com, and let me know where there problems with these rules so we can discuss the problems and fix them.

Special Thanks to the following people for helping me with these rules: Paws2Sky, Tymeaus Jalynsfein, Ramorta and Kesendeja for their input and willingness to play test these rules.

Fluff explaination
[ Spoiler ]

Crunch
[ Spoiler ]

More Crunch
[ Spoiler ]
CanRay
I misread this and expected a .45 Automatic packing Mormon wrapped up in bandages.
LostProxy
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 24 2011, 09:04 PM) *
I misread this and expected a .45 Automatic packing Mormon wrapped up in bandages.

New character concept found. Stealing this for at the very least an episodic antagonist/protagonist. He'll switch between the two. But if I get the chance my PC.
CanRay
QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 24 2011, 11:04 PM) *
QUOTE (LostProxy @ Jul 24 2011, 11:06 PM) *
New character concept found. Stealing this for at the very least an episodic antagonist/protagonist. He'll switch between the two. But if I get the chance my PC.
Wish it was mine to steal.

Honestly, New Canaanites are the *LAST* people you want to slam the door in the face of when they come to ask you if you've heard about the Church of Latterday Saints!
LostProxy
Why are all the Mormons I know so peaceful. You guys get all the fun nyahnyah.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (LostProxy @ Jul 24 2011, 11:10 PM) *
Why are all the Mormons I know so peaceful. You guys get all the fun nyahnyah.gif
Fallout: New Vegas: Honest Hearts. The guy's name is Joshua Graham, but is called in whispered tones "The Burned Man" by Caesar's Legion. Their enemies, the New California Republic tried to kill him many times, with Snipers confirming headshots on him at, what is to them, short ranges. Yet he still lived.

He failed Caesar, was covered in pitch, lit on fire, and thrown into the Grand Canyon.

He not only survived, he crawled back to his home town and found forgiveness and the Lord once again.

All I can say is that seeing him in the game, his enemies just better pray he never runs out of bullets... The death is quicker and cleaner that way.

EDIT: John Browning, the infamous firearms designer whose weapons are still in modern military units today, was also a Mormon. They're peaceful, but do not push them as a people. Ever.
LostProxy
Ohhh right. I still need to get that DLC. Now that's a vengeful character I wouldn't mind stealing as an NPC. Just reeks dystopia.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Makki @ Jul 25 2011, 12:04 AM) *
I don't think this works.
first, the spells don't fit the idea of a Psionic. Neither does the idea of setting things on fire. How does he explain this, if he believes Magic does not exist?
second, this guy has 10 dice for spells that are not combat spells.
he glitches on 1 1 x x x x x x x x, m math is not god right now, but the chance is awfully high. And glitch will never do something in your favor...

Probability of standard glitch = 50.2%
Probability of critical glitch = 1.3%

So about half the time something is gonna burn.
Aerospider
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 25 2011, 03:48 AM) *
Bushw4cker, I came up with rules for Psionics. I've attached them here for your (and everyone elses) viewing pleasure. If you prefer a more organized and readable format, then PM me.

Psionics in Shadowrun

Design Principles

3) The rules for Psionics were in line with the rest of the Shadowrun Core gaming system.

If I fail in any of these three things then this just becomes another Fan-Wank munchkin “class”. I want to have something that will be fun to play. If I have failed in this then please email me at kckitsune@gmail.com, and let me know where there problems with these rules so we can discuss the problems and fix them.

Special Thanks to the following people for helping me with these rules: Paws2Sky, Tymeaus Jalynsfein, Ramorta and Kesendeja for their input and willingness to play test these rules.

Fluff explaination
[ Spoiler ]

Crunch
[ Spoiler ]

More Crunch
[ Spoiler ]

I really like this version of Psionics – making them more than a self-inihibited magician is something I've been meaning to have a go at myself.

I find it odd, though, how the element of fire always seems to gain special access to the world of psionics where the others don't. perhaps someone can correct me on this, but I can only assueme this has come about from external fiction conventions whereby a city threatened by a 'firebug', say, is more cinematically exciting than a psion who can manipulate air.

Any thoughts on having paths for the aquakinetcs, terrakinetics and aerokinetics?
Bushw4cker
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 25 2011, 03:48 AM) *

Psionics in Shadowrun

Design Principles

Fluff explaination
[ Spoiler ]

Crunch
[ Spoiler ]

More Crunch
[ Spoiler ]

Interesting, so no thought forms (Spirits)?
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Jul 25 2011, 08:35 AM) *
I really like this version of Psionics – making them more than a self-inihibited magician is something I've been meaning to have a go at myself.

I find it odd, though, how the element of fire always seems to gain special access to the world of psionics where the others don't. perhaps someone can correct me on this, but I can only assueme this has come about from external fiction conventions whereby a city threatened by a 'firebug', say, is more cinematically exciting than a psion who can manipulate air.

Any thoughts on having paths for the aquakinetcs, terrakinetics and aerokinetics?

The "firebug" is defenitely more cinematic, but I would be more afraid of some of the others. Having a fire-hose constantly hitting you without ever letting up is a frightful concept to me. As is being crushed by the air pressure, or having a spike of bedrock suddenly impale me. Even worse since theydon't naturally die down, and are readily available to almost everyone.
Other kinesis are equally as dangerous.

Photokinetic- someone who can control photons; literally making lasers out of ambient light.
Vitakinesis- able to interfer with the flow of life directly; cancer anyone?
Cryokinesis- the ability to lower temperatures to the freezing point and beyond; frost bite in the desert
would really suck
Electrokinesis- firing off lightningbolts and increasing static charges is always fun

There are lots others, but these are some of the more common non-fire ones.
Tanegar
If you can find a copy of Trinity (or Aeon, as it was originally known), it presents a wide variety of psionic disciplines. At least one (teleportation) is out of bounds for Shadowrun, but there are excellent ideas in there for almost any other type of psychic character.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Jul 25 2011, 06:35 AM) *

Thank you Aero. That was what I was shooting for.

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Jul 25 2011, 06:35 AM) *

I understand what you're asking, but I only wanted to use those Paths, because otherwise these guys become "Mage lite", rather than something unique. If you want to play with these rules and add in an Aqua or Terrakinetic, then by all means. It would be your game. If you do so, could you please PM on how it went? Like I said in my post, I want my rule set to be playable, fun, balanced, and not a "I WIN AT SHADOWRUN!!!!" button.

QUOTE (Bushw4cker @ Jul 25 2011, 06:53 AM) *
Interesting, so no thought forms (Spirits)?

Nope. These guys are NOT mages. You want to summon spirits, play an Awakened.

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 25 2011, 11:32 AM) *
If you can find a copy of Trinity (or Aeon, as it was originally known), it presents a wide variety of psionic disciplines. At least one (teleportation) is out of bounds for Shadowrun, but there are excellent ideas in there for almost any other type of psychic character.

I think the hard rule on Teleportation is bullshit. I mean, JK fraking Rowling came up with a PERFECT way to deal with teleportation, and that was with Wards. You know that you can't teleport into or out of Hogwarts?

I understand why they didn't do it because it would break the game, but it's not that hard to plug that hole. If I didn't have a Microbiology test coming up in 5 hours, I would go over them.
LurkerOutThere
I think people are needlessly limiting the concept of Psionics, personally the belief that all magic is psionics and figuring out how to duplicate spell effects through use of your mind seems like a valid approach. There is already enough popular culture refrences to pyrockinetics that it should be a valid discipline. THe actual problems with the mechanical issues are for you to resolve with your GM. If this is an NPC then the fix is realitively easy. If this is a GM PC you should scrap the concept now and start over.
Tanegar
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 25 2011, 12:33 PM) *
I think the hard rule on Teleportation is bullshit. I mean, JK fraking Rowling came up with a PERFECT way to deal with teleportation, and that was with Wards. You know that you can't teleport into or out of Hogwarts?

That works in the Potterverse because virtually everyone we meet is a wizard. Allowing teleportation in Shadowrun only serves to make magicians even more godly than they already are. Unless you want every building in every city in every country to be warded (i.e., full-time employment for a number of magicians several times larger than the total canon Awakened population of the world), you can't allow teleportation. If you want to depart radically from canon in your game, by all means do so, just be aware that you are no longer playing Shadowrun.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 25 2011, 09:33 AM) *

Well, You do know that Dobby and Dumbledore have done so right?
KCKitsune
Taking a break before going back to study...

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 25 2011, 01:16 PM) *
Well, You do know that Dobby and Dumbledore have done so right?

Dobby: yes,
Dumbledore: nope. That was Fawkes the phoenix, taking Dumbledore for a ride.

It seems only human wand wavers can't teleport into or out of Hogwarts. The House Elves might have received special exemption from the Wards, and the Phoenix might have been too powerful for the Wards to contain.

@Tanegar: Yeah, I know, that was the reason I said it would break the game. Also, like I said, I think I can come up with a way to plug that hole.

@LurkerOutThere: Psionics as a force of reality in the Shadowrun world was introduced with Technomancers. Their powers work in space & in Mana warps/voids. They can use their abilities to move as fast as an Adept who spent a large number of power points (therefore Magic). My rules for Psionics keeps a Psion limited (like a Technomancer), but still would be fun to play.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jul 25 2011, 05:32 PM) *

I can also recommend Necroscope (books by Brian Lumley, RPG by West End Games (possibly out of print)) for a good range of ESP talents.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 25 2011, 01:07 PM) *
Taking a break before going back to study...

Dobby: yes,
Dumbledore: nope. That was Fawkes the phoenix, taking Dumbledore for a ride.

Can't remember the Book (going to go re-read them here soon), but in the 6th Movie, Dumbledore did so without the need for Fawkes, and he took Harry through, both ways, with him.

LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 25 2011, 01:07 PM) *
@LurkerOutThere: Psionics as a force of reality in the Shadowrun world was introduced with Technomancers. Their powers work in space & in Mana warps/voids. They can use their abilities to move as fast as an Adept who spent a large number of power points (therefore Magic). My rules for Psionics keeps a Psion limited (like a Technomancer), but still would be fun to play.

Technomancers are not psionics. While it has been hinted in some NPC fluff that psionic ability might function in space no hard rules have been presented otherwise. In fact it could all be propganda or just an example of a really powerfull magic user operating in spite of the mana warps/voids.

Giving mages teleporting abilities, as someone else said doesn't follow any definition of limited.
KCKitsune
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 25 2011, 03:21 PM) *
Technomancers are not psionics. While it has been hinted in some NPC fluff that psionic ability might function in space no hard rules have been presented otherwise. In fact it could all be propganda or just an example of a really powerfull magic user operating in spite of the mana warps/voids.

OK Lurker... how does a Technomancers abilities work? I know that a Technomancer's abilities work in space because otherwise it would have been in the rulebook... just like it has for the Awakened.

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 25 2011, 03:21 PM) *
Giving mages teleporting abilities, as someone else said doesn't follow any definition of limited.
Disallowing teleportation is just a game balancing mechanism. I'll drop the whole line of thought though. It's not worth getting into an argument.
Marvelous Marvin
Hmm, I find it funny that no one has caught on to the cybereyes problem.

No line of sight, thus he can only cast touch spells.
CanRay
If you pay for Cyberoptics with Essence, you can cast spells with what you see through them, as long as they're connected to your head.
Tanegar
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 25 2011, 06:42 PM) *
OK Lurker... how does a Technomancers abilities work? I know that a Technomancer's abilities work in space because otherwise it would have been in the rulebook... just like it has for the Awakened.

Disallowing teleportation is just a game balancing mechanism. I'll drop the whole line of thought though. It's not worth getting into an argument.

Technomancers get their powers from Resonance, as is explained in the book. The actual nature of Resonance is up for debate, but we know it isn't a psychic phenomenon.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jul 25 2011, 06:42 PM) *

Yes but once again, their is magic and there is technomancy and they are two different animals. Psionics is not technomancy psionics is one tradition of magic that there has been some fluff rumors that it works in space. Completely unrelated nothing about space affects technomancy. But nothing about space affects a stun baton. By your logic train a stun baton is therefore psionics because it works in space.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012