Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Getting someone IN the game
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Cain
QUOTE (Traul @ Aug 6 2011, 06:21 PM) *
Nothing prevents the Current Edge from exceding the Total Edge. The system supports it, so the GM can just give away free Edge points anytime he wants.

Even if there's no express rule against it, it's a bad idea. The rules support "Edge refresh", not edge overflow.
suoq
QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 7 2011, 03:17 AM) *
Even if there's no express rule against it, it's a bad idea. The rules support "Edge refresh", not edge overflow.

That doesn't make it a bad idea. If all we played with was RAW and published optional rules, this game would be the poorer for it.

RPG tables have a long history of making the gamemaster smile and the words "Add 1 to your next die roll". For a home game, I see no harm in adding a point of edge. Personally, I'm more of the school of adding situational modifiers but there's no reason that the Rule of Cool, can't be used to increase your edge.
Draco18s
Technically speaking, 5/4 edge is not as good as 5/5 edge. Each one of those edge points is still only worth four extra dice.

The other stipulation I'd add is that the edge has to be used by the end of the session, or it disappears.
Aku
How about this?

Optional Rule
Edge Overflow

Edge overflow allows a character to temporarily exceed their normal allowance of spendable edge, due to awards from the GM only. Maximum additional dice are limited to one half of your max edge, rounded up. Whenever the GM refreshes edge, you lose the additional dice.

Mr. Face is in a meeting with a Johnson, and drops a line worthy of a AAA Trid that cracks everyone up, and the GM awards him a bonus point of edge, however he hasnt used any yet, so he overflows to 5/4 edge. The next time he spends edge, he'll follow the normal edge dice rules, but will still be at 4/4 edge dice.
Draco18s
I considered saying "when the GM refreshes edge," although that can vary so greatly that the overflow edge still had a possibility of never getting used.
For instance, my GM does edge refresh at the rate of 1 per day, and we might meet with the Johnson (something awesome happens, awarding edge) then sleep that night, then plan the next day, then do the run the day after.
Aku
Ehh, i think refreshing edge at a set rate, as opposed to everything at once is sort of a fringe, and houserule in general, i think it's intended to be an all or nothing, so your gm might want to adjust it. At that point, you're not really "refreshing" edge, as "renewing" it, so maybe you just dont renew edge while you're above the max and it never resets? Does you edge refresh like that during downtime too? Say you get a job on a monday, involving an exec that is coming into town on friday, you've got all the details sorted by end of day on tuesday, do you regain edge on wed and thurs while you're just waiting?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Aku @ Aug 7 2011, 11:44 AM) *
Ehh, i think refreshing edge at a set rate, as opposed to everything at once is sort of a fringe, and houserule in general, i think it's intended to be an all or nothing, so your gm might want to adjust it. At that point, you're not really "refreshing" edge, as "renewing" it, so maybe you just dont renew edge while you're above the max and it never resets? Does you edge refresh like that during downtime too? Say you get a job on a monday, involving an exec that is coming into town on friday, you've got all the details sorted by end of day on tuesday, do you regain edge on wed and thurs while you're just waiting?

Generally speaking we regain edge during downtime, and generally speaking that downtime is enough for an edge refresh. The 1-a-day rule was for shorter periods of downtime. We don't keep meticulous track of these sorts of things, it's just a general guideline of "did edge refresh yet?"
Aku
So, it sounds like it's more for an extended campaign mission,as opposed to daily life (like, you got caught in Chi-town when the bugs came you're now struggling to get out there is no such thing as true downtime until you escape)
Draco18s
No, no "extended campaign" or anything like that.
Grinchy McScrooge
I know it took a couple years of playing RPG's before I fully grasped the concept of role-playing outside of combat. Sometimes it takes the right situation or moment for it all to click into place. Of course, it probably would have helped if the original group I played with had actually taken the time to explain the concept too me, instead of all of them being too busy trying to hog the spotlight.

Most of the group I'm currently GMing is very stubbornly Pink Mohawk, even though I laid out that the campaign I'd be running is Black Trenchcoat, which they agreed to. I've been trying to coax them into role-playing by a little more liberal with my karma awards for situational choices that don't immediately require us to roll for initiative. If that doesn't work, I have a prime runner named Akira just waiting to meet them... vegm.gif

QUOTE (Crazy Ivan @ Aug 4 2011, 02:00 PM) *
I throw my hat in to the 20Q idea, as well as doing a "background" session if available. But it does really depend on the type of player he is and his comfort level of role-playing.

If as a DM, you don't feel comfortable for whatever reason handing out drama/humor/role-playing rewards, a system my groups tend to use is the "point" system (though we tend to call it the waffle system, in honor of Dorkness Rising)--
Essentially, when something stunning or exceptional happens in game through role-playing (everyone is cracked up laughing from an in-game joke, touched by a piece of role-playing, or whatever), someone who thinks it is extra karma (or xp, regardless of the system) worthy, calls out point or waffle. If the majority of the party agrees, then extra goodies are awarded at the behest of the players. To prevent abuse, I usually cap the amount per session at 2, maybe 3 at the most.

I boisterously applaud the use of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising. A severely underrated gem in my opinion. notworthy.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ Aug 7 2011, 02:10 PM) *
I boisterously applaud the use of The Gamers: Dorkness Rising. A severely underrated gem in my opinion. notworthy.gif

Just the one section ("why are you wearing a dress?") I reply with:

People need to gender-bend more often. Especially guys who play female characters.
Crazy Ivan
Dorkness Rising is a blast. I thought I was going to die from laughing so hard.

In regards to the gender-bender, I've never been one to be afraid of playing female characters in games. Two of my favorite characters from D&D that I played to legendary effect were both female (a favored soul of kossuth and a fighter), and it wasn't an issue for me. Some guys play gender benders too far, taking stereotypes to insane lengths (pink armor?), but in general, most guy players could do with a dose of a female perspective.

On a comical side-note to that, my newborn daughter is named after one of those characters, though in part as a tribute to my uncle who passed away during my wifes pregnancy (he was a big gamer, introduced me to the PnP game world, and after we decided to find a tribute name for him, I refused to find a variation of the name "Bart"). So "Ember" was welcomed into the world just over 24 hours ago.
Grinchy McScrooge
QUOTE (Crazy Ivan @ Aug 7 2011, 03:06 PM) *
Dorkness Rising is a blast. I thought I was going to die from laughing so hard.

I highly recommend checking out JourneyQuest then. It's just as hilarious, has slightly higher production values, and is a webseries that can be viewed entirely on their website or Youtube. After that, if you're feeling particularly adventurous, check out some of their earlier works. There's The Gamers (definitely cheesy & NSFW for language ), Demon Hunters (their mega-awesomely cheesy original student film), and their improv sketches (they're mostly awful, but the jokes will stick in your head and make you chuckle for days afterwards, YMMV). I sadly own all their DVD's and have enjoyed them repeatedly. Not a fanboy though. I swear. Honestly. silly.gif

In regards to the gender-bender, I've never been one to be afraid of playing female characters in games. Two of my favorite characters from D&D that I played to legendary effect were both female (a favored soul of kossuth and a fighter), and it wasn't an issue for me. Some guys play gender benders too far, taking stereotypes to insane lengths (pink armor?), but in general, most guy players could do with a dose of a female perspective.

I agree as well. As somebody who tries to see issues from all angles, and loves to play devil's advocate, I believe everybody can benefit from a change in perspective. That being said, too many guys play female characters as slutty succubi, chainmail bikinis and all.

On a comical side-note to that, my newborn daughter is named after one of those characters, though in part as a tribute to my uncle who passed away during my wifes pregnancy (he was a big gamer, introduced me to the PnP game world, and after we decided to find a tribute name for him, I refused to find a variation of the name "Bart"). So "Ember" was welcomed into the world just over 24 hours ago.

Congratulations!! smokin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Crazy Ivan @ Aug 7 2011, 02:06 PM) *

Congratulations... May she bring great joy to your life.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ Aug 7 2011, 06:06 PM) *
I agree as well. As somebody who tries to see issues from all angles, and loves to play devil's advocate, I believe everybody can benefit from a change in perspective. That being said, too many guys play female characters as slutty succubi, chainmail bikinis and all.

I have played all manner of characters, male and female, core book and monster manual. The most ditsy female character I ever played had stat reasons I was playing up (her willpower I think was cool.gif. Unfortunitely, that campaign didn't last, as it was supposed to be Ravenloft, and the most memorable moment involved the hugely overweight mage creating a new hand signal that became banned by law (Jazz-hands. Followed by a kick to the crotch. He did it three times before the GM got fed up, and gave him an extra finger to mark him)
Cain
QUOTE (Crazy Ivan @ Aug 7 2011, 12:06 PM) *

Congratulations!

I introduced my daughter to gaming four years ago. I don't think she's caught on that the fairy game with dice and wings is the same thing as daddy's D&D, but she will soon. wink.gif
Troyminator
So "Ember" was welcomed into the world just over 24 hours ago.

Congrats! Life just got a lot more interesting and frustrating! I have two: 16 year old daughter and a 5 year old son.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012