Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improvised and DIY Warfare in Libya
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
MikeKozar
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/06...-rebels/100086/

A great photo series showing rebels rebuilding scavenged/captured weapons for use against the government. My personal favorite is the pickup-mounted rocket pod. RIGGER 2074, Maybe?
Tanegar
Necessity is the mother of invention, and all that.
CanRay
Do not F*** with rednecks, no matter where they come from.

A bunch of civilians with scrap equipment and jury-rigged combat vehicles versus armed mercenaries and a nutbar ruler who fights to hold onto whatever power he can. Even the peaceful folks had some damned good ideas that I'll be stealing for games, and was even more damned happy to see. Too many Non-Violent folks just don't get into situations at all.

Run hard and fast, Qaddafi. 'Bout the only chance you got.

Additional: People fighting for a cause tend to have a bit more to fight for than folks fighting just for money. And this has been proven yet again. Also, there's only so far you can push a person. Pushing people, that's an even bigger whuppin'.

Do they have woodsheds in Libya?
Fix-it
they are hardly "rednecks" now. the last few months of stalemate have been spent training with NATO SF advisers.
Seriously Mike
Wonder how many of them play video games. If I got my hands on that FN F2000, I'd only go "MINE!" and then run off to source more ammo for it. Nothing like some reckless samfishery for the greater good. biggrin.gif
Tanegar
I wondered why that gun looked so familiar.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Aug 23 2011, 04:02 AM) *
Wonder how many of them play video games. If I got my hands on that FN F2000, I'd only go "MINE!" and then run off to source more ammo for it. Nothing like some reckless samfishery for the greater good. biggrin.gif

I know what you mean. That's a sexy piece of weapon right there.
Seriously Mike
Hey, I'll throw together an airsoft version of this baby when I can afford it!
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Aug 23 2011, 06:52 AM) *
they are hardly "rednecks" now. the last few months of stalemate have been spent training with NATO SF advisers.

And have had NATO air support for some time.
CanRay
QUOTE (Fix-it @ Aug 22 2011, 11:52 PM) *
Which makes them Rednecks with training. nyahnyah.gif

Sometimes by fellow Rednecks from the USA and Canada!
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 23 2011, 08:36 AM) *
And have had NATO air support for some time.
I liked how the French showed complete contempt by dropping concrete training bombs on the tanks. "I'm sorry, you're not even worth the price of explosive ordinance. Now run away before we bomb and taunt you a second time!"
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 23 2011, 07:19 AM) *
Sometimes by fellow Rednecks from the USA and Canada!I liked how the French showed complete contempt by dropping concrete training bombs on the tanks. "I'm sorry, you're not even worth the price of explosive ordinance. Now run away before we bomb and taunt you a second time!"

Heh... STILL laughing at that line...
CanRay
"Oh, you have not learned your lesson, you silly mercenary types? Fetche la vache!!!"
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 23 2011, 04:19 PM) *
Which makes them Rednecks with training. nyahnyah.gif

Sometimes by fellow Rednecks from the USA and Canada!I liked how the French showed complete contempt by dropping concrete training bombs on the tanks. "I'm sorry, you're not even worth the price of explosive ordinance. Now run away before we bomb and taunt you a second time!"

Just think if them as a forerunner to Thor shots.

250KG at terminal velocity is likely to leave quite a dent wink.gif
Sengir
Damn, now I want to drop what I'm doing and complete my campaign notes on homemade AT weapons biggrin.gif

The occupational safety standards in pic No. 14 are also great
SecGuard
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 23 2011, 03:45 PM) *
Just think if them as a forerunner to Thor shots.

250KG at terminal velocity is likely to leave quite a dent wink.gif

Ah yes kenetic energy, gotta love the physics.
Brazilian_Shinobi
Not only terminal velocity, but even beyond it, the concrete bombs have guiding systems and propulsion, which means it has gravity plus fuel increasing its velocity.
CanRay
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Aug 24 2011, 04:53 PM) *
Not only terminal velocity, but even beyond it, the concrete bombs have guiding systems and propulsion, which means it has gravity plus fuel increasing its velocity.
Which cost more than the bomb. nyahnyah.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Aug 24 2011, 04:53 PM) *

Most inert bombs don't have a propulsion system. They do have a guidance system, but no propulsion. It doesn't make them any less nasty. Kinetic Energy is a bitch.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 24 2011, 07:24 PM) *
Which cost more than the bomb. nyahnyah.gif

Yes they do smile.gif
Guidance System: U$30.000
Propulsion System: U$20.000
Concrete Payload: U$500
Destroying Khadaffi Tanks with concrete bombs: Priceless. For everything else there's NERPS.
CanRay
US$50,000+ to take out a T-54/55 that probably cost less than half that... Or less. *Shakes Head*

Of course, a friend of mine was in a tank that used a 120mm HE shell against one guy with a 9-volt battery, so I guess I shouldn't throw stones.

Or concrete training bombs. nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Aug 25 2011, 01:10 AM) *
Yes they do smile.gif
Guidance System: U$30.000
Propulsion System: U$20.000
Concrete Payload: U$500
Destroying Khadaffi Tanks with concrete bombs: Priceless For everything else there's NERPS.

Source? A bomb is separated from a rocket or a missile by the fact that it do not have a propulsion system.

Once it is dropped it is just inertia inherited from the aircraft and gravity that is acting on it (tho if there is a guidance system, it got movable tail fins so it can alter its flight path to some degree).
Seriously Mike
Also, I got idea for another chase in my campaign. This time, if players pass a Pilot Watercraft test, they can maneuver their opponents' speedboat armed with a jury-rigged missile pod to cook the following jetski-riders with backblast.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 24 2011, 09:13 PM) *
Source? A bomb is separated from a rocket or a missile by the fact that it do not have a propulsion system.

Once it is dropped it is just inertia inherited from the aircraft and gravity that is acting on it (tho if there is a guidance system, it got movable tail fins so it can alter its flight path to some degree).

Sorry, I wasn't being literal. Yes, bombs don't have propulsion systems but in Brazil we usually mean to any air-to-ground weaponry that is not a gun as a 'bomb'. But there are lots of air-to-groun missiles (AGM) and those do have propulsion system.

The price I wrote were just from my head, since after a quick research I could find AGM as cheap as U$70k.
hobgoblin
So a unguided rocket, say from a rocket pod, would be considered a bomb in Brazil?
Seriously Mike
Hey, they consider Everquest a "murder simulator", cut them some slack.
But I wonder, what next, Taurus PT92 considered a "machine gun"?
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 25 2011, 10:11 AM) *
So a unguided rocket, say from a rocket pod, would be considered a bomb in Brazil?

If it is meant to be targeted at a ground target, yeah.
I mean, anything that is launched from an airplane to hit something on the ground we colloquially call it 'bomba'. Anything that is launched from an airplane to hit something that is flying we colloquially call it 'míssil', even if it is a rocket (where a missile is just a rocket with guidance systems).
So, I was thinking in portuguese but writing in english and made this confusion, sorry.
Cheops
I liked the photo of the office chair anti-aircraft system. You need good lumbar support if you are going to spend all day pointing a gun up at the sky.

The dude with the fancy mattress strapped to the seat of his big ass gun was pretty hilarious too.
CanRay
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Aug 25 2011, 07:26 AM) *
Sorry, I wasn't being literal. Yes, bombs don't have propulsion systems but in Brazil we usually mean to any air-to-ground weaponry that is not a gun as a 'bomb'.
Translations can be tricky, especially with jargon. Or even without.

I remember Korean trainers had difficulty in teaching the locals to do something as simple as changing a headlight in a Jeep, as there was no local word for "Headlight" yet. They used a term that meant "Candle In A Rice Bowl". (Just a case of language not catching up with technology. Look at the Uberwords Germans use!)
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Aug 25 2011, 08:32 AM) *
Hey, they consider Everquest a "murder simulator", cut them some slack.
But I wonder, what next, Taurus PT92 considered a "machine gun"?
Why not, North American Newscasters isn't much smarter about those kinds of things.

"Bolt-Action Fully Automatic Sniper Rifle" was used to describe an SMLE Rifle once. (British WWI/II Bolt-Action Rifle, BTW. One of the most common hunting rifles in Canada now.).
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 25 2011, 05:43 PM) *
Look at the Uberwords Germans use!

Heh, all languages with a germanic root have this feature where one join up several smaller ones to make a single big one. Makes it a pain when going between one of them and english.

Here in Norway a artist (combining instrumental techniques from bluegrass with clever lyrics) made a song about a job title: "overbuljongterningpakkmesterassistent". The word is technically valid, but so much nonsense. Still, there is a actual job title known as "Høgsterettsjustitiarius". Basically the person that is the highest ranking judge in the Norwegian supreme court. And yes, it is a tongue twister...
CanRay
At least it's not Welsh. nyahnyah.gif
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Aug 25 2011, 08:44 PM) *
At least it's not Welsh. nyahnyah.gif

Oh dear wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012