Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Loaded Agents/Sprites
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aerospider
Can anyone help clarify this for me please?

You load an agent in your node so that it can assist you wherever you go. You hack into a node, find a file and start making certain 'corrections'. A spider finds you and launches an attack. Your agent has a copy of your Attack program loaded, so can you command the agent to attack the spider whilst you get on with your work? Could you even both attack the spider at once?

Can the spider attack the agent instead of you?

Presumably the same would apply to sprites...?
Kirk
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Aug 27 2011, 05:22 AM) *
Can anyone help clarify this for me please?

You load an agent in your node so that it can assist you wherever you go. You hack into a node, find a file and start making certain 'corrections'. A spider finds you and launches an attack. Your agent has a copy of your Attack program loaded, so can you command the agent to attack the spider whilst you get on with your work? Could you even both attack the spider at once?

Can the spider attack the agent instead of you?

Presumably the same would apply to sprites...?

Yes.

Seriously, the answer to each of your questions is "yes".

One minor thing, however. Don't turn your back on the spider and "get on with you work". The spider can still attack you while being attacked by your agent. That could be very bad. biggrin.gif
KarmaInferno
If it helps, think of the agent as a Drone.

-k
Aerospider
Thanks guys.
Mardrax
Ehrm. Doesn't the Agent need acces to the node you're in first as well? Or can you ride a single Agent on your own subscription?
Yerameyahu
Either, IIRC.
Neraph
Also, whatever programs your Agent is loaded with are also cutting into your comm's System - in your above example you have at the least 3 programs running (two Attack programs and the Agent itself).
Aerospider
QUOTE (Neraph @ Aug 29 2011, 04:49 PM) *
Also, whatever programs your Agent is loaded with are also cutting into your comm's System - in your above example you have at the least 3 programs running (two Attack programs and the Agent itself).

Ah, now wait a moment. I was of the understanding that this was only true of independent agents. Have I got that the wrong way round?
Yerameyahu
They have to run somewhere. Either they're running on your machine, or they're running on the remote machine (or, possibly, a dedicated machine that is the agent's 'home'). If it's not the latter options, then yes, they're using up your node's resources. 'Equpped'-but-not-running programs do not count.
hobgoblin
Note that i think you can pass a running Attack program between you and any agent running on your comlink.

Also makes Nexi hacking such a powerful weapon, as you can stack up on programs and agents. Problem is that you likely need a van to transport it around wink.gif
Yerameyahu
Well, some are smallish. A troll's backpack could certainly carry some of the low-/mid-level ones.
Neraph
That's why I prefer Clustering. It's kinda expensive, but I had an AI-in-drone-body character that used his Home Node (drone's node) clustered with two R5 Commlinks in the drone's arms as his mega-node.
hobgoblin
ugh, reminds me that i have a full borg hacker here somewhere that stuffed as many comlinks as he could inside his cyberlimbs. Came out kinda crazy.
Aerospider
Ok, here's a follow-up query regarding sprites –

If a sprite has a CF that the TM doesn't, can the sprite 'give' it to the TM for his own use?

The closest I can find to any rules on the matter is that sprites function mostly like agents. So if agents can do this with programs can sprites do the same with CFs?
Mardrax
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Aug 30 2011, 01:50 PM) *
If a sprite has a CF that the TM doesn't, can the sprite 'give' it to the TM for his own use?

No. A sprite can lend a TM or other sprite use of its CFs as much as a Spirit might lend a mage use of its powers or spells.
They could however Assist Operation or whatever it's called.
Aerospider
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Aug 30 2011, 12:53 PM) *
No. A sprite can lend a TM or other sprite use of its CFs as much as a Spirit might lend a mage use of its powers or spells.
They could however Assist Operation or whatever it's called.

That's pretty much what I thought, though it seems to be a common sense thing rather than RAW since CFs are analogous to programs rather than powers or spells. I guess Assist Operation is already pretty awesome, what with the sprite not needing to know the CF themselves.
hobgoblin
the CFs are analogous to programs in what they can be used for, not in every last detail of their behavior.
LurkerOutThere
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Aug 30 2011, 08:12 AM) *
the CFs are analogous to programs in what they can be used for, not in every last detail of their behavior.

This, it's matrix with your mind, you loose some of the utlity of traditional programs because you summon them up from the Aether.
Neraph
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Aug 30 2011, 05:50 AM) *
Ok, here's a follow-up query regarding sprites –

The closest I can find to any rules on the matter is that sprites function mostly like agents. So if agents can do this with programs can sprites do the same with CFs?

Basically they covered it, but they missed a Free Sprite entering into a Networking Resonance Bond with a Technomancer (page 160, Unwired).
LurkerOutThere
True but that's so far outside the normal that's it's borderline not worth muddying the issue.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012