Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Critter Powers as Adept Abilities
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kesendeja
I was thinking of turning the critter powers into adept abilities but ran into a stumbling block about their cost. Any help would be appreciated.
Makki
Blood Path Adepts can feast on critters and learning their powers. So not really worth it and cost effective for PCs.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Makki @ Sep 14 2011, 04:13 AM) *
Blood Path Adepts can feast on critters and learning their powers. So not really worth it and cost effective for PCs.

True but I was thinking of using this for normal PC's. We had one player take regeneration (he was playing Deadpool) and it worked well, but the cost really stumped us. Not all of the powers are equally useful or powerful, so should cost differently. BTW Regeneration cost 5 points.
Irion
Hunting vampires for their powers. The sucker sucker so to speak. Very funny...
But unfortunatly not permanent...
Machiavelli
Basically a nice idea, but costs are very difficult to decide. Regeneration for 5PP seems much, but optional PPīs instead of an metatechnique could quickly imbalance the game. I would have proposed "use the costs from the creation table for free spirits as PCīs" but i fear Players with a gun, the fear power, regeneration etc. Difficult.
Kesendeja
I was thinking of making them take a metamagic ability first. Something like Paranormal Attunement, where the mage attunes themselves to a paranormal creature or spirit which lets them buy powers off of their listed abilities. Then use the costs under the free spirit PC's for powers.
Machiavelli
Doesnīt make it better. Just one step more to gain unlimited power. ^^
Elfenlied
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 14 2011, 09:41 AM) *
Basically a nice idea, but costs are very difficult to decide. Regeneration for 5PP seems much, but optional PPīs instead of an metatechnique could quickly imbalance the game. I would have proposed "use the costs from the creation table for free spirits as PCīs" but i fear Players with a gun, the fear power, regeneration etc. Difficult.

They're called possession mages nyahnyah.gif
Machiavelli
Right. ^^ Besides that you can get access to this powers throug a guidance spirit. They have a power that can grant you one of his powers...maybe the least difficult solution.
Critias
I can think of quite a few Critters powers that would be overpowered to give to any PC, adept or otherwise. In fact, in almost every case I could see quite a few Critter powers, no matter how much you charged for them, being all anyone was interested in, when they made that adept, instead of ever bothering with other adept powers.

How many PP do you charge for Movement, or Concealment, or Fear, for instance?
Yerameyahu
Right. Critter powers are bad enough for Critters to have! smile.gif
Machiavelli
What Critias said. Of course you can also get access to this powers through a spirit, but not without appropriate skills and timing. Without these restrictions, it is even more uber than it is anyway. I would let the thought die....did i say that really? Where is the powergamer in me gone to?^^
Makki
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Sep 14 2011, 06:52 PM) *
What Critias said. Of course you can also get access to this powers through a spirit, but not without appropriate skills and timing. Without these restrictions, it is even more uber than it is anyway. I would let the thought die....did i say that really? Where is the powergamer in me gone to?^^

I'm currently planning on using this in some weird way nyahnyah.gif
Udoshi
QUOTE (Critias @ Sep 14 2011, 09:40 AM) *
I can think of quite a few Critters powers that would be overpowered to give to any PC, adept or otherwise. In fact, in almost every case I could see quite a few Critter powers, no matter how much you charged for them, being all anyone was interested in, when they made that adept, instead of ever bothering with other adept powers.

How many PP do you charge for Movement, or Concealment, or Fear, for instance?

What I would, however, like to see are PC Free Spirits able to take adept powers with their Power Points.

It would do wonders to actually make them a lot more viable and interesting on a whole.

We've had a few people try making free spirits over here, and a common complaint is that mortal mages are just so much better once you peel off the shiny surface of 'oh god i have itnw smile.gif and 6 edge' and dig into what's possible.
Yerameyahu
But the mages can't teleport. Honestly, I assume they can't get adept powers because they can't get cyber. A normal player has the option, with its tradeoffs. A spirit has literally no reason not to get adept powers (often cyber/gear equivalents), except for their cost.
Udoshi
In their case, the tradeoff comes from NOT taking critter powers - and some of the ones they have access too are very, very good.
Yerameyahu
Agreed, both counts. But I'm saying access to adept powers gives Free Spirits things they have no other way of getting, as opposed to cyber-able metahumans.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 14 2011, 09:03 PM) *
Agreed, both counts. But I'm saying access to adept powers gives Free Spirits things they have no other way of getting, as opposed to cyber-able metahumans.

Some powers are available as magical compounds. And more, if you can make a convincing case to the GM. However, they are limited and nuyen costly.
whatevs
Ohman, it would be awesome to have an adept with the concealment power.

I know it's a (somewhat unliked) spirit power, and not necessarily a critter power, but still.

HunterHerne
QUOTE (whatevs @ Sep 20 2011, 08:50 AM) *

I know it's a (somewhat unliked) spirit power, and not necessarily a critter power, but still.

What do you mean not a critter power? Many critters have it (though limited to themselves) like pixies, Devil rats and others.
Elfenlied
QUOTE (whatevs @ Sep 20 2011, 11:50 AM) *

You can. Buy Lil' Smoke from Arsenal, it grants you concealment for several hours. At your magic attribute, no less.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 20 2011, 10:02 PM) *
You can. Buy Lil' Smoke from Arsenal, it grants you concealment for several hours. At your magic attribute, no less.

Yes. Good good. *sets glee level to maximum*
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Sep 20 2011, 05:02 AM) *

At your Essence Rating actually.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012