Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fomori and Magic Usage
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
Ok so it says in the fluff that fomori can use magic as well as being resistant to magic. However they are listed as having arcane arrester in RC which by RAW automatically disallows magic usage.... which is it or has this been errattad?

pg 56 RC

Another peculiarity of the fomori metavariant is exposed by
British Administrative Bureau statistics which indicate a higher
than average incidence of magical talent among the fomorian population
(as much as 4% higher). A controlled study undertaken by
the Oxford Royal College of Thaumaturgy in 2048, however, indicates
that fomori seem to be demonstrably more resistant to spell
effects and magical powers than the average metahuman (with the
possible exception of gnomes). The mechanisms and reasons (both
genetic and evolutionary) for these apparently contradictory traits
are still unknown.

pg 111 RC

Arcane Arrester
Cost: 25 BP
When affected by a spell (including a critter’s Innate Spells),
the character—and she alone—treats Force-based effects (damage,
paralysis, etc.) at half (round down) actual strength. Note that the
actual Force of the spell is not actually reduced. For instance, a
character with Arcane Arrester targeted by a Force 5 spell would
resist it as if it were a Force 2 spell, though the spellcaster could
still add hits to improve the effect. Arcane Arrester cannot be
combined with Magic Resistance (p. 79, SR4). This quality can
be taken by characters with a Magic attribute.
HunterHerne
You have the actual quote there, and claim it says something it doesn't. The last line clearly states characters with a magic attribute CAN take the quality.
onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk
i feel retarded >< wooops
Neraph
QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Sep 15 2011, 08:12 PM) *
i feel retarded >< wooops

Happens to the best of us. Don't let it get to you.
EpicSpire
i believe he was thinking of Magic Resistance quality which, if i remember correctly, says it cannot be possessed by an awakened character.
Traul
But the Adept can get the equivalent as a Power. And the mage don't care since Counterspelling is cheaper and better.
Yerameyahu
Yup. It is a messy little set of overlapping and duplicate abilities.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 16 2011, 11:58 AM) *
Yup. It is a messy little set of overlapping and duplicate abilities.

Which allows a mundane to better resist Magic. smile.gif
Yerameyahu
A *set*, TJ. I'm talking about all the abilities together (and Hazing, etc.). I thought that was pretty clear. wink.gif

Magic Resistance is a pretty cruddy one, though. It's the only thing a mundane can get, only at chargen, and it'll probably hurt them as much as it helps.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 16 2011, 12:29 PM) *
A *set*, TJ. I'm talking about all the abilities together (and Hazing, etc.). I thought that was pretty clear. wink.gif

Magic Resistance is a pretty cruddy one, though. It's the only thing a mundane can get, only at chargen, and it'll probably hurt them as much as it helps.

Was not all THAT clear. Heh. smile.gif

Besides, Magic Resistance can be acquired in play as well. So it is not all THAT bad of a Quality. Equal to a Counterspelling of 4 (when maxed out), which is pretty good, all things considered. So, you can't voluntarily lower it. So what.
Yerameyahu
Only if the GM waves his magic hands and gives it to you. And yes, it's fine… if you never want a beneficial spell cast on you.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 16 2011, 12:53 PM) *
Only if the GM waves his magic hands and gives it to you. And yes, it's fine… if you never want a beneficial spell cast on you.

No Magic Wand Required. You can always work towards it in play. No reason to deny the character advancement in that direction if he so chooses (it is not optimal, to be sure). As for Never having beneficial spells, that is not always the case, you just always resist them. Of course, those that require voluntary subjects, well, yeah, none for them. But lets face it. In the grand scheme of the world, most Non-Awakened would gladly accept the ability to resist spells more easily, as they are not likely to go looking for their benefits in the first place.
Yerameyahu
You can't just acquire random magical Qualities out of nowhere. nyahnyah.gif

I agree that mundanes might want it because it's their only option; that's the *problem* I was originally referring to.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 16 2011, 02:06 PM) *
You can't just acquire random magical Qualities out of nowhere. nyahnyah.gif

I agree that mundanes might want it because it's their only option; that's the *problem* I was originally referring to.

But you can work towards that goal. It is pretty easy to rationalize after all. smile.gif
True, it is the only option for mundanes, but is that really a problem? I don't think so.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 16 2011, 04:54 PM) *
But you can work towards that goal. It is pretty easy to rationalize after all. smile.gif
True, it is the only option for mundanes, but is that really a problem? I don't think so.

Well, a high willpower and tricking a spirit into servitude with calling can also work (although poorly, and at the cost of other benefits, or great risk)
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Sep 16 2011, 05:01 PM) *
Well, a high willpower and tricking a spirit into servitude with calling can also work (although poorly, and at the cost of other benefits, or great risk)

This is an option, complete with its own risks, to be sure. smile.gif
LurkerOutThere
Or there might be a scientific means to duplicate the ability, of course that would violate the principles of magicrun.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 16 2011, 07:10 PM) *
Or there might be a scientific means to duplicate the ability, of course that would violate the principles of magicrun.

I don't know; I always considered Cybering up a valid excuse to purchase Magic Resistance. smile.gif
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 17 2011, 10:50 AM) *
I don't know; I always considered Cybering up a valid excuse to purchase Magic Resistance. smile.gif

Sounds like a good reason to me.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Sep 17 2011, 09:15 AM) *
Sounds like a good reason to me.

Yep... smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012