Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Regeneration (The Spell)
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kesendeja
My mage developed the spell after a friends daughter lost part of her leg. Rather than see her lose her burgeoning magic to cyber, or the family put under the strain of massive medical bills for clone replacement.

My GM has given tentative approval, both because of good story factor and that my mage has an Arcana skill of 7 specialized in spell design.

Regrowth
Type: P Range: T Duration: P DV: (F/2)+7
This spell allows the caster to regrow lost limbs or repair significant organ damage on a target. It cannot repair fatal damage. Nor can it cause the removal of cyberware. Essence lost is unaffected.
The threshold determines what extent of damage can be healed.
The strain of the regeneration causes a number of boxes of stun equal to twice the number of hits that were originally needed to regrow the body part. This stun cannot overflow into physical damage but may knock the patient out.
CODE
Hits   Effect                                                           Time
1       Minor damage                                                      5 Minutes to 2 hours
             (Fingers, toes, ear, cosmetic regeneration)
2       Moderate damage                                                3 Hours
             (Hand, foot etc...)
3       Severe damage                                                    2 to 4 Days
            (Entire limbs, complex organs like the eye or Kidney.
5+       Near Fatal damage                                                3 to 6 Days
            (Major organs, liver, lung, heart damage)

CODE
Force Effect
-4     Limb available to reattach
-1     Accident happened less than an hour ago
+0     Accident happened between 1 hour and 1 day
+1     Accident happened between 1 day and 1 week
+3     Accident happened between 1 week and 1 month
+5     Accident happened over 1 month

Edited for the thread results
bobbaganoosh
How does force factor in to the spell's effect? It seems like you could just cast this at force 1 without sacrificing anything. Is there any actual benefit to casting it at a higher force?
Additionally, it seems like this is a very powerful spell in that it negates the need for cloned replacement limbs or cyberlimbs. As such, there should be some challenge associated with using or acquiring the spell.
Can the spell be cast on a target only once per "set of wounds"? Does the spell heal all parts of the body that have been affected (for instance, if the subject is missing an arm, a hand, and some toes, and the caster gets 3+ net hits, do all of the subject's missing parts come back, or what?)
How does the spell affect the subject's condition monitors?

I think my biggest concern with introducing a spell like this into a game would be that it makes cyber and cloned limb replacements basically obsolete. There should be a price to pay, either nuyen or essence, for losing a limb. What are the drawbacks to the spell? If there aren't any, then it's too powerful.
Stalag
QUOTE (bobbaganoosh @ Sep 19 2011, 12:59 AM) *
How does force factor in to the spell's effect? It seems like you could just cast this at force 1 without sacrificing anything. Is there any actual benefit to casting it at a higher force?
Additionally, it seems like this is a very powerful spell in that it negates the need for cloned replacement limbs or cyberlimbs. As such, there should be some challenge associated with using or acquiring the spell.
Can the spell be cast on a target only once per "set of wounds"? Does the spell heal all parts of the body that have been affected (for instance, if the subject is missing an arm, a hand, and some toes, and the caster gets 3+ net hits, do all of the subject's missing parts come back, or what?)

I think my biggest concern with introducing a spell like this into a game would be that it makes cyber and cloned limb replacements basically obsolete. There should be a price to pay, either nuyen or essence, for losing a limb. What are the drawbacks to the spell? If there aren't any, then it's too powerful.

I gotta agree, I see several problems with this spell.

First off, essence can't be created from mana. If it could all those essence hungry critters out there would likely have evolved to just suck up mana and convert it. So if the spell is going to restore her essence then the essence will have to come from something (or someone) else just like it does for every other essence "restoration". This leads to the second problem: Whenever one creature takes essence from another creature the stolen essence will fade over time requiring the creature to seek out more. So if this spell works, while the limb it regrows may be permanent, the essence would fade over time and she'd need to repeat the spell to restore it again... ergo you'd be turning her into a vampire of sorts. Which is the third problem: Once you get into Essence exchange you're essentially delving into Blood Magic - a very dark and dangerous place to go. Recall the old saying "The road to hell is paved with good intentions"

Finally (I couldn't come up with another semi-clever segway) if this worked, even without the essence, half the corps in the world be after you to keep you from destroying the limb-replacement industry while the other half would be after you to buy the spell for resale (and then probably kill you after to avoid copyright issues).

Though, really, with an Arcana of 7 I'm kind of surprised the magic dealing corps aren't already sending shadow teams to "recruit" you.
Kesendeja

Hits are capped by force, so you'll need at least a force equal to the threshold.

As it stands now replacement limbs only require money, time and is more of a nuisance than anything. Imagine the cost of a mage casting this spell.

As with normal curative magic it is once per set of wounds, and may only be cast once per wound.

It doesn't. This is not a curative spell, it was designed to fix the secondary effects of wounds.

This spell was designed for medical mages in areas where clonal replacments or decent cyberware are rare. Like a shadowrun team in a hideout or in the barrens. Most people will find it easier to still take the time and money to go to the hospital for mundane replacements.
EuroShadow
I think this is good spell.

However, I am sure that you need to mention that it doesn't cure any Essence loss (otherwise it will be abused).
Aerospider
I think the spell should be harder to succeed reliably. How about net hits are the new organ/limb's attributes (capped at the old limb's attribute ratings)? So sure you got your leg back, but you still don't jump so good ...
Aerospider
QUOTE (Stalag @ Sep 19 2011, 07:26 AM) *
First off, essence can't be created from mana.

Essence does not equal sum of body parts remaining.

You can lose a whole leg with no effect on your Essence and take a reduction as soon as you fit a cyberleg. You might think it illogical, but it's true.
Ascalaphus
I think you might want to move up the required hits per body part to be regenerated, to make sure that most mages need to overcast to heal serious damage. That way, only a handful of badass mages are comfortable using this spell, and the corporate market position won't be threatened too much by a cheaper alternative to cloned organs.

It might also be interesting to differentiate needed hits based on:
* How long ago the injury occurred.
* If the severed body part is available to reattach (makes it easier, can make it a fun sidequest to recover a lost arm because otherwise the spell is too hard to safely cast).

If you fiddle with the numbers to keep it balanced, I think in principle the spell is good.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 19 2011, 04:34 AM) *
It might also be interesting to differentiate needed hits based on:
* How long ago the injury occurred.
* If the severed body part is available to reattach (makes it easier, can make it a fun sidequest to recover a lost arm because otherwise the spell is too hard to safely cast).

I really like the idea. I'll have to see what I can do.
Traul
The Yakuza will love it biggrin.gif
Faelan
I would probably make the regrowth take a number of weeks equal to the number of hits required for the body part. I don't think the intent is to have an instant TADAAA!!! here is your new leg.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 19 2011, 05:57 AM) *
The Yakuza will love it biggrin.gif

Ha. No. The Yakuza would enforce a strict "no regeneration" policy for failure, I think. Since the lost finger parts are from punishment.
ChatNoir
Yep, I'm sure there would be some thing like ths :
Yakuza boss : oh, you regenerate your finger ?
Yakusa grunt : Hmmm .... well, you see ....
Yakuza boss : Try regenerate your head now ... *slash* biggrin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (EuroShadow @ Sep 18 2011, 11:37 PM) *
I think this is good spell.

However, I am sure that you need to mention that it doesn't cure any Essence loss (otherwise it will be abused).

Losing a Limb does not incur Essence Loss. Ever. Only replacing it with Cyber does that. smile.gif

EDIT: Oops, Missed Aerospider's original Post on this subject.
DMiller
I agree I like it. I also like the idea of making it a little harder. Maybe adding a threshold of say 7 - Target's Essence. That way a cybered-up person becomes that much harder to regenerate. But an unmodified child is still pretty easy. All that this would do is change your chart from 'Hits' to 'Net hits'.

-D
Adarael
It seems okay in general, but I do question its necessity.

If a little girl loses a leg in 2011, it's tragic. In 2073, it's more of a "terrible accident" at worst, and at best, a minor inconvenience. She can have a new leg cloned from her tissue, force-grown to the right size, and reattached. Or she can buy an off-the-rack Type 0 leg. Or, if you're destitute, you can steal a leg from another little girl and attach it.

I can understand it from the perspective of "I know a mage and he fixed my little girl because he knows healing magic." From a wider perspective, there are more commerically viable ways of attaching legs to little girls.
Yerameyahu
On a magic-theory note: if regrowth takes weeks… what's the mage doing during that time? I think he'd have to be sustaining. frown.gif
Mardrax
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 20 2011, 12:14 AM) *
On a magic-theory note: if regrowth takes weeks… what's the mage doing during that time? I think he'd have to be sustaining. frown.gif

Handwave it as needing x hours of attention from the mage per week?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 19 2011, 03:35 PM) *
Handwave it as needing x hours of attention from the mage per week?

Why? If you say it takes weeks, the magic is still not completed until it is regenerated, so it should be maintained.
*shrug*
Yerameyahu
I'm just not sure magic works that way, that's all. Things are either instant, sustained, or permanent.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 19 2011, 03:59 PM) *
I'm just not sure magic works that way, that's all.

So don't make it take weeks. Treat it like Standard Healing. Takes a few Turns and done. There is a reason there is no Regeneration spell currently. It can work, but you have to make the choice. Either it takes time, and should be maintained (sustained) or it is a Permanent Spell, and uses those rules. *shrug*
Yerameyahu
But that results in insta-limbs, which I gathered they were trying to avoid here. And it *is* a permanent either way, just like Heal is.

I view this spell as largely flavor, because it relies on people even using the Advanced Wound rules in the first place. So I'm not too worried about balancing it. The services of a mage are expensive, so there's theoretically a fair balance between medical and magical treatment of these kinds of non-Damage wounds.
Ascalaphus
Maybe instead make it a Metamagic that uses Ritual Spellcasting?

I like the general idea of magical regeneration, but I wouldn't want it to be a commercially sound alternative to biotech.

Maybe components? Use Enchanting and reagents? Those are the typical ways to make magic-use expensive.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 20 2011, 01:15 AM) *
I like the general idea of magical regeneration, but I wouldn't want it to be a commercially sound alternative to biotech.

Maybe components? Use Enchanting and reagents? Those are the typical ways to make magic-use expensive.

Hence my more extended-test proposal. Paying a mage for that ammount of time is expensive.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 19 2011, 04:08 PM) *
But that results in insta-limbs, which I gathered they were trying to avoid here. And it *is* a permanent either way, just like Heal is.

I view this spell as largely flavor, because it relies on people even using the Advanced Wound rules in the first place. So I'm not too worried about balancing it. The services of a mage are expensive, so there's theoretically a fair balance between medical and magical treatment of these kinds of non-Damage wounds.

True... I can see that. smile.gif
Yerameyahu
Perhaps days as a happy medium? Significant time, and slow enough to be 'reasonable', but not so long as to be totally prohibitive.
Stalag
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 19 2011, 10:15 AM) *
Losing a Limb does not incur Essence Loss. Ever. Only replacing it with Cyber does that. smile.gif

EDIT: Oops, Missed Aerospider's original Post on this subject.

which, as he also noted, really makes no sense.
Yerameyahu
It's magic, it doesn't have to make sense. smile.gif They changed the rules since 3rd, but hey. It's only even a factor if you use the optional rules in the first place, and the lost of huge amounts of karma (for Awakened) can be pretty harsh… as can random death, for cybers.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stalag @ Sep 19 2011, 07:16 PM) *
which, as he also noted, really makes no sense.

Makes Perfect Sense. *Shrug* smile.gif
Lansdren
Or it could be a quickened spell (think thats the right metamagic) where part of the cost is the point of karma it costs for the mage to cast the spell to be self sustaining on the person so they can go home and rest up for a number of days whilst they heal up.
Kesendeja
Added some die modifiers to the test based on the amount of time since the injury.

CODE
Die    Effect
+4     Limb available to reattach
+1     Accident happened less than an hour ago
-1     Accident happened between 1 day and 1 week
-3     Accident happened between 1 week and 1 month
-5    Accident happened over 1 month
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Sep 24 2011, 02:47 AM) *
Added some die modifiers to the test based on the amount of time since the injury.

CODE
Die    Effect
+4     Limb available to reattach
+1     Accident happened less than an hour ago
-1     Accident happened between 1 day and 1 week
-3     Accident happened between 1 week and 1 month
-5    Accident happened over 1 month

I'd make them Force modifiers. Dice pool modifiers on spells are rare, and comparable spells use Force to differentiate difficulty levels. Also, Force modifiers work even against munchkins with unexpectedly high dice pools.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 24 2011, 05:04 AM) *
I'd make them Force modifiers. Dice pool modifiers on spells are rare, and comparable spells use Force to differentiate difficulty levels. Also, Force modifiers work even against munchkins with unexpectedly high dice pools.

One side effect of that would be that overcasting would be the only way to cast the spell. I'm not sure that would be the best way, but then again it makes sense for something this powerful.

CODE
Force Effect
Ascalaphus
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Sep 25 2011, 12:14 AM) *
One side effect of that would be that overcasting would be the only way to cast the spell. I'm not sure that would be the best way, but then again it makes sense for something this powerful.

CODE
Force Effect

I think forced overcasting is exactly right; it's a good motivation to really work on finding that lost limb to reattach.
Kirk
Alternate "burdens":
1) Ritual magic only.
2) Ingredients.
Traul
QUOTE (Kirk @ Sep 25 2011, 03:43 PM) *
2) Ingredients.

10kg of red meat? It's not that easy to find in the SR world...
Yerameyahu
It might be extremely easy to find. Is metahuman meat pink or red? wink.gif
Kirk
grin - I was actually thinking of more esoteric requirements, but "4 pints of freshly drawn blood and 10 kg of meat that was living not less than 1 hour ago" has its temptations.

"Good" blood magic?
Traul
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 25 2011, 05:35 PM) *
It might be extremely easy to find. Is metahuman meat pink or red? wink.gif

Trog is green.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (Kirk @ Sep 25 2011, 03:22 PM) *
grin - I was actually thinking of more esoteric requirements, but "4 pints of freshly drawn blood and 10 kg of meat that was living not less than 1 hour ago" has its temptations.

"Good" blood magic?

I'd prefer not to have it blood magic.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Sep 26 2011, 02:06 AM) *
I'd prefer not to have it blood magic.

And the crusaders would prefer to not be known as a bunch of anti-semitic, anti-islamic, pro ethnic cleansing, pillagers and rapists. wink.gif

Also, Toxics more often than not believe they're doing the Good thing.

And after all, what's in a name?
LurkerOutThere
Personally I hate it for the same reasons people will expect knowing me.

There shouldn't be a magical fix for everything. Not every problem should be able to be solved with a trip to your local mage world and buying the right spell formula. I've said my piece. As far as the spell, it should likely require at least a few hours sustainingment if not days, basically a much slower version of the heal spell because in effect this is macro level healing magic.
Kesendeja
While the spell itself doesn't need to be held for hours the regrowth can be far from instant. The time is still much shorter than a regular clonal replacement but can take hours, based on the amount of damage being repaired.

CODE
Hits      Effect                                                   Time
1         Minor damage (Fingers, toes, ear, cosmetic regeneration)        5 minutes to 2 hours
2         Moderate damage (Hand, foot etc...)                                 3 Hours
3         Severe damage (Entire limbs, complex organs, eye or Kidney.          2 to 4 Hours
5+       Near Fatal damage (Major organs, liver, lung, heart damage)          3 to 6 Hours

Or would days be better for the regrowth?
bobbaganoosh
Superficial damage might take a few hours. But the "near fatal" stuff should take days, not "3 to 6 hours".
Kesendeja
QUOTE (bobbaganoosh @ Sep 26 2011, 10:34 PM) *
Superficial damage might take a few hours. But the "near fatal" stuff should take days, not "3 to 6 hours".

Altered the times, does it look better this way? Sorry I can't seem to get the chart to format correctly.

CODE
Hits      Effect                        Time
1         Minor damage                    5 minutes to 2 hours
        (Fingers, toes, ear, cosmetic regeneration)
2         Moderate damage                     3 Hours
        (Hand, foot etc...)    
3         Severe damage                  2 to 4 Days
        (Entire limbs, complex organs, eye or Kidney)
5+       Near Fatal damage                   3 to 6 Days
        (Major organs, liver, lung, heart damage)
bobbaganoosh
Those times look a lot better. And it seems like having a finger grow back in two hours would be a bit uncomfortable. Maybe the spell should deal stun damage that can't overflow to body? Kinda like surgery damage, but like Blackout in that it doesn't overflow.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (bobbaganoosh @ Sep 27 2011, 01:24 AM) *
Those times look a lot better. And it seems like having a finger grow back in two hours would be a bit uncomfortable. Maybe the spell should deal stun damage that can't overflow to body? Kinda like surgery damage, but like Blackout in that it doesn't overflow.

Like a number of boxes equal to the number of hits that were needed to regrow the limb in the first place?
bobbaganoosh
QUOTE (Kesendeja @ Sep 26 2011, 11:28 PM) *
Like a number of boxes equal to the number of hits that were needed to regrow the limb in the first place?

Or even twice the number of hits needed. After all, you can roll to get rid of stun every hour that you "sleep", from natural healing. Having near fatal wounds magically healed over the course of a few days should give you a bunch of stun. It makes sense to have the stun dealt when the spell is cast, so you can start healing it off as the limb(s) or organ(s) come(s) back.
Kesendeja
QUOTE (bobbaganoosh @ Sep 27 2011, 01:31 AM) *
Or even twice the number of hits needed. After all, you can roll to get rid of stun every hour that you "sleep", from natural healing. Having near fatal wounds magically healed over the course of a few days should give you a bunch of stun. It makes sense to have the stun dealt when the spell is cast, so you can start healing it off as the limb(s) or organ(s) come(s) back.

I like that, twice the number of original hits needed it is then.
Dahrken
Alternatively, you can make it as a lower number of "unhealable" stun boxes gradually removed along the regeneration time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012