Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Run payouts
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
imperialus
Ok... one of the biggest challenges that Shadowrun GM's seem to come across is creating a Nuyen Karma balance when awarding PC's. We typically see topics on it every couple of weeks here. Award too much Nuyen and Street Sams get the short stick, too much cash and you'll see PC's blowing money on high lifestyles, because unless you are a rigger or a street sam you've got nothing worthwhile to spend your cash on...

Not only that but big run payouts really limits who you can offer jobs from. If the PC's won't get out of bed for less than 20K each, then who the heck can afford to hire them? You're pretty much stuck with offering jobs from Corps and Organized Crime syndicates. Unless you totally handwave the funds that other people might have available there is zero grey area for the PC's to get hired by a squatter community being menaced by gangs, or a down on his luck reporter who needs paydata for a big scoop, or anything like that... Why would the PC's even do a run as a favor for a friend if it meant they were getting paid peanuts? Hand-waving it gets pretty ridiculous too. I remember the old adventure Dark Angel where the PC's were offered one million nuyen by Kat, DA's girlfriend... Seriously, the guy hadn't even released an album yet... How the heck was the girlfriend of a supposedly struggling rock start supposed to scrape that kind of money together?

Now I've mentioned on here several times in the past that the Nuyen Karma ratio that I've found works well is approximately 5000 nuyen for every karma. This means that by the time a mage has accumulated 20ish karma for an initiation, the Street Sam has about 100K to upgrade his ware with. For a long time I sort of left the ratio at this and was happy with it... it worked... sort of, but I ran into the second problem of there being too much cash floating around. I wanted my PC's to scrimp and save... worry about how they are going to make rent on next months low lifestyle, remind them that they are the underclass, subhuman trash, dreaming of the big score that could set them free and let them live the high life on some nice tropical island somewhere... It just didn't jive with the fact that after 4 or 5 runs their bank accounts would be sitting and 80,000+.

At any rate, now that you've heard me bitching I'd like to toss out my idea for a solution. I call it the shadowbank (because hey it's Shadowrun we can add Shadow to anything and it sounds cool). Basically the shadowbank exists as a purely metagame mechanic. The characters have no knowledge of it, and the players only have a rough idea of its balance. I track it for each PC behind the screen. Now for each 1000 nuyen that the PC earns they only get to see approximately 100 nuyen of it. The remainder goes in the shadowbank. After the shadowbank has reached a considerable balance, the player can request big ticket items from it, and I will find a way to give them the opportunity to get their hands on the item for free/cheap. Want a move by wire system? Well maybe that Yakuza Oyuban you just risked your life to save is grateful enough, that he is willing to fly you to Chiba all expenses paid and get you wired up in one of the best black-market cyber-clinics on the planet... Want a slick new ride? Hey that Mafia hitman you just assassinated had a Westwind parked out back, and the keys are in his pocket. Sure you'll need to scrub it for RFID tags and the like but that's a small price to pay. It also makes the cool toys that the PC's get their hands on have some narrative weight. That weapon foci is no longer just some piece of gear your physad picked out of the book. He took it from the cold dead hands of the the Yakuza ninja that he killed highlander style in a duel on a warehouse roof...

This also keeps the runners poor... If a run that would have used to have have paid them 20K now pays them 2000 suddenly financial management becomes a bigger issue. Burning through clips of EX explosive ammo or flinging grenades left and right will start having a significant impact on their bottom line. It lets you keep the game at a 'street' level without causing major issues balance wise.

By fiddling with the ratio you can even still reward players financially for jobs that might pay very little, or nothing at all. Maybe they would be willing to help out the squatters being attacked by ghouls in exchange for a hot meal and a place they can use as a bolthole in the future if they know that their shadowbank balance will still go up. Maybe the won't be quite so irate when the Yak Oyuban tells them "Do this gratis or I put a price on your head!" if they know they are still going to get something out of the deal.

You can even fiddle with it further and customize the ratio to each character. Spellslingers in Shadowrun are often perceived within the game world as being more 'valuable' than other archtypes. It comes up in the fluff all the time. Mages are also less likely to need to draw on the Shadowbank so it is entirely possible to up the mages cash to shadowbank ratio to 200/1000 to represent the fact that they command a higher price than a street sam.
Paul
I set up what I see as realistic operating budgets for employers, and I also sometimes have alternate payment schedules set up. (So an employer who works in automotive business might offer to let the players get work done, upgrades etc...where as a company that produces cybernetics will offer a higher payment if the players will spend that payment on their companies wares.) I also come after the P's for their money-contact upkeep, equipment and weapon upkeep and replacement, lifestyle costs, fixing vehicles. I tend to be a little low on the karma side of things, so I have to remember that sometimes they earned it.

I also think the pacing can be affected by how often you play. A once a week game is less frantic than a once a month game.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Paul @ Sep 21 2011, 06:28 PM) *
I set up what I see as realistic operating budgets for employers, and I also sometimes have alternate payment schedules set up. (So an employer who works in automotive business might offer to let the players get work done, upgrades etc...where as a company that produces cybernetics will offer a higher payment if the players will spend that payment on their companies wares.)

That's a simple and very good idea, mentioned in the fluff a good couple of times. Gear, favors, discounts, coupons - useful stuff that isn't cold hard cash.
imperialus
QUOTE (Paul @ Sep 21 2011, 09:28 AM) *
I set up what I see as realistic operating budgets for employers, and I also sometimes have alternate payment schedules set up. (So an employer who works in automotive business might offer to let the players get work done, upgrades etc...where as a company that produces cybernetics will offer a higher payment if the players will spend that payment on their companies wares.) I also come after the P's for their money-contact upkeep, equipment and weapon upkeep and replacement, lifestyle costs, fixing vehicles. I tend to be a little low on the karma side of things, so I have to remember that sometimes they earned it.

I also think the pacing can be affected by how often you play. A once a week game is less frantic than a once a month game.

That doesn't break the original problem though. Why would a mage or hacker risk his skin doing a run for a cybernetics corp if the end result of it is that the Street Sam gets to upgrade his ware? What does he care if the Sam gets an extra initiative pass? Is it just because he likes the guy?

Plus then any time someone wants/needs a big ticket item you need to customize a run around them. This can play hell in a campaign where there is a single narrative that you want to follow. You'll spend more time doing 'sidequests' so that the rigger can get a pimped out bull dog, the street sam can get a move by wire system, the mage can get his power foci, ect, ect, ect. than you will focusing on the larger plot.

Not only that but then the rewarding of big ticket items can end up being somewhat arbitrary. If the PC's have an actual budget operating behind the scenes it makes it easier to ensure that you aren't inadvertently overcompensating on character over another.

As for the incidental expenses, contact upkeep, lifestyle, weapon repairs, ammo ect. Lowering the 'real cash' payouts makes tracking that more important. A player can no longer just assume he has enough cash on hand to buy a crate of grenades whenever he feels like it. It might genuinely come down to choosing between making this months rent, or fixing the van after it got shot up in the last run. It makes things like technical skills a lot more important too. If the rigger can fix the van himself then it's going to be a lot cheaper than going through his mechanic buddy. He might still need to pay for the parts, and to rent space in a garage but at least the labour costs are taken care of.

The Shadowbank system can work well with alternative payment methods too. If you want to give the street sam something extra for that run for the cybernetics corp then he can just cash in some of his shadowbank money to do so.

One side effect of this is that it can create a downward push on the entire shadow economy and the end result is that Nuyen becomes significantly more valuable especially on the service end of things. Sure the Street Sam might need to pay to have the cyberarm he stole off of a Renraku assembly line installed, but the back alley chop doc he goes to could charge him a more reasonable amount for it. Heck if the Sam is willing to let the Doc keep his old cyberarm he might even do it for free since he can turn around and make a profit selling the same arm to some up and coming gangbanger. Once big ticket items hit the street, the price of them would inevitably have to go down since gutter trash simply couldn't afford to pay more than a pittance for them, and the black market dealers would have to sell them to someone...
Loch
In the Caribbean League game I'm in currently, the GM offers us a nice spread of offers every time we're looking for a paycheck. Printed out on a little sheet with a basic description of the job and how much the Johnson is willing to pay (e.g., Data Steal: Evo Research, nuyen.gif 100,000). The only problem I've noticed with this setup is that our first run of the campaign (which the GM assures us was supposed to be a "big job") paid pretty well, about nuyen.gif 85,000 for a team of five. Most of the jobs now being offered pay far less than that, so we've only been going after the high-paying gigs. The party mysad is starting to bitch about not getting enough karma. I think it's just that the expectations of the players were perhaps set a little too high after the first run, so we've only been taking jobs that pay at least as much, if not more than, the first job we did. Mind you, I'd be all up for a job that didn't pay as well if it gave me the opportunity to build up my rep with important people, make new contacts and the like.
Paul
QUOTE (imperialus @ Sep 21 2011, 11:41 AM) *
That doesn't break the original problem though. Why would a mage or hacker risk his skin doing a run for a cybernetics corp if the end result of it is that the Street Sam gets to upgrade his ware?

Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they won't. Not every job has this option. Hell, in my game not every job has a payday. Some games are just consequences, fall out from stuff that's built up, other times it's random or semi-random events.

What does he care if the Sam gets an extra initiative pass? Is it just because he likes the guy?

It could be that simple, or vastly more complicated. There is no hard and fast rule here.

Plus then any time someone wants/needs a big ticket item you need to customize a run around them.

Yeah. This can happen, depending on what we, as a group want.

This can play hell in a campaign where there is a single narrative that you want to follow. You'll spend more time doing 'sidequests' so that the rigger can get a pimped out bull dog, the street sam can get a move by wire system, the mage can get his power foci, ect, ect, ect. than you will focusing on the larger plot.

Well that's where I, as the GM, step in. if it's not fun or it's detracting we can make adjustments. We're not a railroad track man.

Not only that but then the rewarding of big ticket items can end up being somewhat arbitrary.

Yup. That's why it's a judgment call. Not every game can have this sort of payday. Not every game should.

If the PC's have an actual budget operating behind the scenes it makes it easier to ensure that you aren't inadvertently overcompensating on character over another.

This may stick in your craw, but not every character should get paid the same. I let my players do the division. Generally speaking they've been mature enough to do this in what I see as equitable. But yeah sometimes the Mage needs something or deserves something more than the Technomancer.

As for the incidental expenses, contact upkeep, lifestyle, weapon repairs, ammo ect. Lowering the 'real cash' payouts makes tracking that more important. A player can no longer just assume he has enough cash on hand to buy a crate of grenades whenever he feels like it.

Good. That means I'm doing it right.

It might genuinely come down to choosing between making this months rent, or fixing the van after it got shot up in the last run.

Ain't life grand?

It makes things like technical skills a lot more important too. If the rigger can fix the van himself then it's going to be a lot cheaper than going through his mechanic buddy. He might still need to pay for the parts, and to rent space in a garage but at least the labour costs are taken care of.

Sure makes contacts a lot more than just a set of numbers doesn't it?

One side effect of this is that it can create a downward push on the entire shadow economy and the end result is that Nuyen becomes significantly more valuable especially on the service end of things. Sure the Street Sam might need to pay to have the cyberarm he stole off of a Renraku assembly line installed, but the back alley chop doc he goes to could charge him a more reasonable amount for it. Heck if the Sam is willing to let the Doc keep his old cyberarm he might even do it for free since he can turn around and make a profit selling the same arm to some up and coming gangbanger. Once big ticket items hit the street, the price of them would inevitably have to go down since gutter trash simply couldn't afford to pay more than a pittance for them, and the black market dealers would have to sell them to someone...

It can work this way. The characters in my game aren't wealthy, independent operatives with top notch training. They're people who have no other choice. Most often desperate, and living in disparate conditions. They take jobs doing illegal things to make their lot in life better. Some are seriously flawed-adrenaline junkies, mentally ill, suffering from PTSD, looking to escape the boundaries of normal society. I think adding the occasional alternative payment, nd keeping track of upkeep helps add some grit to our world. a

And so far, since my players show up on a regular basis and say they have fun, I must be doing it right!
Paul
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Sep 21 2011, 11:40 AM) *
That's a simple and very good idea, mentioned in the fluff a good couple of times. Gear, favors, discounts, coupons - useful stuff that isn't cold hard cash.

It can change the dynamics at time. Once the players took payment in consumer items and on their own planned a run to cause a market short fall thereby driving up the price they could sell their loot for. The players planned their own run, one of the more fun games I've ever run.
Ascalaphus
Isn't the seed of the problem, expecting elite secret operatives to continually struggle to meet the rent?

Somebody wrote a good and proper rant on it once, which impressed me, but it boils down to this: from stories like Neuromancer we get the idea of shadowrunners as some sort of "starving artist" types, but the protagonists of Neuromancers were actually unusual; Case was a down on his luck burnt out hacker with serious substance abuse issues. The other two novels in that series feature significantly more well-off protagonists.

---

Anyway, on karma/nuyen balance. I think this is just going to continue to be a problem, as long as two basic "rules" hold:
1) There just isn't all that much "crunchy power" for sale for Awakened characters. After a while, you run out of ways to turn nuyen into power the way riggers and sams do.
2) The party splits the money evenly among all members.

You could mess with either of those rules. For example:
1) There's an initiatory society, but they have expensive membership dues. Part of the money goes to charity, and part to building fancy volcano lairs. Basically, this is a scheme for turning nuyen into a karma discount on Initiation.
1) There is a market for foci and magical gewgaws with impressive powers, that will challenge even the mage's finances.
1) Leave a crumb trail to a delta clinic for the mage; the few implants he does have, he might want to upgrade.
1) Entice the mage player (through his Mentor, perhaps) to pour some of his money into the community, financing projects in line with his tradition's beliefs. A shaman might finance ecological activism, for example. This could yield the character some Contacts and Street Cred now and then.
1) Introduce enemies the wizard's player will hate - hate so much that he wants to use his leftover money to harass them, by hiring NPC runners for example.

2) Suggest that part of a run's payout is reserved for repairs to drones and replenishing ammo. Drones are pretty expensive, and if you start using exotic heavy weapons, so is ammo. Obviously, this will be up to the players to agree on, but you could make a good case for it OOC.
Paul
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 21 2011, 01:18 PM) *
Isn't the seed of the problem, expecting elite secret operatives to continually struggle to meet the rent?

It can be. It does make the assumption that the PC's are elite. I don't think at every table in every game this is true. In some games, absolutely it is. But yeah, this is why I can't see free lance operatives surviving independently for very long. Eventually you make the wrong people nervous-either they think you'll tell, or that you're just too dangerous to be used against them. So they'll try to take you out.

The world of a "shadow" asset is a dangerous, and likely short one.
Warlordtheft
Try running a barter economy in the LA barrens (aka Waterworld)..and then figuring out what the "pay" should be. Granted they don't get a johnson (normally), and it is DIY crime while trying to support a barrens community.

Case in point, they are trying to off load through a smuggle contact the 30 jet ski's they've aquired from the Burning Angels. This is about 86,000 Nuyen's worth of stuff. They plan to use the money to aquire some sustaining Foci for one of the mages.

Karma for this once a month campaign is about 10. This allows everyone to upgrade some thing or get new skills evey month should they choose to do so.

BTW-Mages are much more likely to leave a corp due to philisophical/personality differences. Imagine a business meeting with someone who'e mentor spirit is Loki. smile.gif
imperialus
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 21 2011, 10:18 AM) *

Somebody wrote a good and proper rant on it once, which impressed me, but it boils down to this: from stories like Neuromancer we get the idea of shadowrunners as some sort of "starving artist" types, but the protagonists of Neuromancers were actually unusual; Case was a down on his luck burnt out hacker with serious substance abuse issues. The other two novels in that series feature significantly more well-off protagonists.

And that works great if that's the style of campaign you want to run, but I'd counter your Gibson argument by pointing out a few others. Hero Protagonist in Snowcrash lived in a shipping container. The protagonist from 2XS was a down on his luck PI. Avery Cates in the Electric Church started out the first novel he was in wondering if he could afford to shoot the guy he had been hired to assasinate, or if it would be better to use his knives.

Even look at the archtypes from the core book. The troll bouncer is an elite operative? The Orc Gangbanger? The Street Shaman? Those don't exactly scream "high lifestyle" to me.

@Paul: I think you and I might be talking past each other a bit. At the end of the day it looks like we have a fairly similar system, I've just suggested codifying mine while yours is more reliant on GM fiat (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that). For me personally I've run into enough balance problems with games I've run over the years that I like the idea of having a system to fall back on.

The impression I get from what you've described (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that your players will ask for assorted gee-gaws and other high ticket items and then you figure out a way to work them into the campaign at some point. At the end of the day, the way I see the Shadowbank operating is no differently. It just provides me with a mechanic that I can use to keep the players roughly on pace with each other. It also lets the players know that even if a run may not benefit them directly, they can still get some material benefit from it and ensures that they don't get forgotten about. Like your system not every run will have a big payday for every PC. It depends on when, and how they want to cash in their shadowbank money.

Also, I like the idea that different characters can get paid more or less than each other. That's why I think it's a good idea that the shadowbank contributions can be adjusted for different PC's. Remember, the Shadowbank is a purely metagame concept. The characters themselves have no idea it even exists, no moreso than they know how much Karma they have. As a matter of fact that's not a terrible way to think of it. It's Karma for street sams.
CanRay
UCAS$5 in spare change found in the Mr. Johnson's couch and a 75¥ gift certificate for Stuffer Shack.
Wiseman
Can't say I'd enforce a reward system/bank, since balance tends to change based on what the players spend the rewards on, and usually its only a problem because it was something I didn't expect to have so great an impact on play.

Spending a few thousand nuyen on a warehouse versus some move by wire cyberware can have grossly different implications in play. Examples: there isn't a lot of combat this session or the warehouse is a chemistry shop

I set the rewards for nuyen based on the job they're doing, and the karma based on mission difficulty and roleplaying.

Everything else get's balanced at the table. My only concerns are that no one steals all the spotlight, no one is left out, everyone has fun, and I get to watch them squirm when I start throwing dice and making dubious "hmmmm" sounds.

Lifestyles and bank accounts are tied to Fake SIN's, and those things can be burned. So it's really just cyberware and magicians that can be trouble. Cyberware is capped by essence though, and magicians will never have enough karma.

I like the idea though! Probably too much bookkeeping to be worth it to me.
Paul
QUOTE (imperialus @ Sep 21 2011, 02:03 PM) *
@Paul: I think you and I might be talking past each other a bit.

A little, yeah. Sorry. Heh.

I've just suggested codifying mine while yours is more reliant on GM fiat (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that).

It's equal parts GM Fat and Committee decision, and individual player desire. At various times we've agreed some things should be played out, or I've had player on their own decide they don't need whatever payment is offered. I'm pretty lucky my players are great guys, who's goal are a lot more broad reaching than just "Make money!"

The impression I get from what you've described (and correct me if I'm wrong) is that your players will ask for assorted gee-gaws and other high ticket items and then you figure out a way to work them into the campaign at some point.

Basically. Before we even get to that we decide if it's item that should be purchased out of game or in game. No sense in role playing going to buy dish soap refills, but maybe a Move By Wire rating 4 is a little more complicated, under the setting, and should be played out. That's where the Committee decision making process comes in.
Stalag
What we've found works reasonably well is to pay enough to keep the Sammy's happy and allow characters to donate money to a charity to let them gain 1 Karma per 2500 Nuyen (yes, same as KarmaGen). They still get Karma rewards for the mission, the Karma based characters can just exchange their excess cash for more.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Stalag @ Sep 21 2011, 07:06 PM) *
What we've found works reasonably well is to pay enough to keep the Sammy's happy and allow characters to donate money to a charity to let them gain 1 Karma per 2500 Nuyen (yes, same as KarmaGen). They still get Karma rewards for the mission, the Karma based characters can just exchange their excess cash for more.

Our group uses this, and uses it both ways. It means that anyone can play any archetype they want, and not worry too much about their advancement.

Seerow
QUOTE (Stalag @ Sep 22 2011, 02:06 AM) *

Our group does something similar, but it's 10,000 nuyen per karma, and the amount you can buy is capped at half of what you got from your last mission reward. (So if you got 4 karma from the mission, you can buy 2 karma by donating 20,000 nuyen)
SleepMethod
This is a very interesting topic we're delving into in my group. At the moment we're looking at a 5000 Nuyen to 1 Karma ratio but didn't have a way to RP it, though the charity/community investment idea seems like a good one smile.gif

I also like the idea to getting items instead/as well as a payout. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to get my grubby little hands on my rating 4 muscle toner that has availablity of 20R but i might get a contact at the end of a mission that can help, or something along those lines
Stalag
QUOTE (SleepMethod @ Sep 22 2011, 08:15 AM) *
I also like the idea to getting items instead/as well as a payout. I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to get my grubby little hands on my rating 4 muscle toner that has availablity of 20R but i might get a contact at the end of a mission that can help, or something along those lines

A contact which could be purchased with Karma depending on how the table wants to implement it. Lots of options
imperialus
The problem with the Karma/Nuyen exchange (as I see it) is that apart from a very small subsection of archtypes what sort of runner would donate 20K to an orphanage leaving themselves with next to nothing? You're forced to come up with some increasingly convoluted justifications to explain why a bunch of hardened mercenaries would want to give up money that they risked their lives to acquire in order to get a warm fuzzy feeling.

It also fails to solve the Nuyen Karma imbalance. Say you give out 20,000 for the successful completion of a run that also nets the characters 4 karma. If the mages then turn around and donate their money at a 2500-1 ratio they've now earned a total of 12 karma. They're halfway to initiation... Hell if they were really gaming the quest/initiate group angle they could probably initiate already. That puts them way ahead of the power curve.
Miri
QUOTE (imperialus @ Sep 22 2011, 09:16 AM) *
The problem with the Karma/Nuyen exchange (as I see it) is that apart from a very small subsection of archtypes what sort of runner would donate 20K to an orphanage leaving themselves with next to nothing? You're forced to come up with some increasingly convoluted justifications to explain why a bunch of hardened mercenaries would want to give up money that they risked their lives to acquire in order to get a warm fuzzy feeling.

It also fails to solve the Nuyen Karma imbalance. Say you give out 20,000 for the successful completion of a run that also nets the characters 4 karma. If the mages then turn around and donate their money at a 2500-1 ratio they've now earned a total of 12 karma. They're halfway to initiation... Hell if they were really gaming the quest/initiate group angle they could probably initiate already. That puts them way ahead of the power curve.

Right.. and so that Street Sam who converts that 4 Karma into another 10k and picks up a set of Wired Reflexes 2, or Alpha Grade Titanium Lacing, or with a little extra cash a Rank 2 Muscle Toner isn't getting a nice big power boost either huh?
SleepMethod
QUOTE (Miri @ Sep 22 2011, 04:27 PM) *
Right.. and so that Street Sam who converts that 4 Karma into another 10k and picks up a set of Wired Reflexes 2, or Alpha Grade Titanium Lacing, or with a little extra cash a Rank 2 Muscle Toner isn't getting a nice big power boost either huh?

Sounds like a decent system so smile.gif
Paul
I think my players would kiss me on the face if allowed them to buy Karma. At the very least they'd not eviscerate first when the revolution comes. When they are King, we're all face first up against the wall...
Seerow
The biggest problem with conversion of money to karma is that the karma:money ratio was clearly designed with starting characters and regular grade gear in mind.

So while 2.5k : 1 karma is fine at the start, when the sammy is struggling to get his first cyberware implant or get his wired reflexes from rating 1 to rating 2.... look at it much further down the line.

Sammy is now upgrading to a Betaware Move By Wire 3. This costs 700,000 nuyen. At the same conversion rate being accepted at char gen, that translates into 280 karma. Does anyone legitimately think that a beta move by wire is worth THAT much karma? I doubt it. With that much karma, you can literally take your Magic 5 magician up to Initiate Grade 8, with 9 magic, with some karma to spare. Now look at what each character is getting, do those look remotely comparable? Also is any character ever likely to get anywhere near the 350 karma or nearly 1mil nuyen for this upgrade?

Gear cost simply scales far too quickly for any conversion to balance out over the long term. That was an extreme example, but even something as simple as a set of alphaware muscle augment/toner runs a character about 120k, which translates into 48 karma, which is a pretty huge fricken chunk.

The game seems to assume that as you progress, you continue getting about the same karma, while your monetary gain goes up greatly. As long as this assumption is in place, any sort of unlimited conversion at a fixed is going to cause problems.

edit: Modified numbers, multiplied cost by 5 instead of 4 for betaware.
Paul
Just out of curiosity how do different groups approach liberating gear adrift? Looting, as it were.
Zaranthan
QUOTE (Paul @ Sep 22 2011, 02:32 PM) *
Just out of curiosity how do different groups approach liberating gear adrift? Looting, as it were.

Don't. The main reason Ares doesn't come after you once you get their expensive MacGuffin off their property is by the time they track you down, you don't have it anymore. If you take something and keep it, you've given them financial incentive to park a sniper outside your window.

Unless it's a really awesome piece of swag that you'll never get your hands on otherwise. Then it's probably worth the risk. biggrin.gif
Udoshi
QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 22 2011, 12:21 PM) *
The biggest problem with conversion of money to karma is that the karma:money ratio was clearly designed with starting characters and regular grade gear in mind.
So while 2.5k : 1 karma is fine at the start, when the sammy is struggling to get his first cyberware implant or get his wired reflexes from rating 1 to rating 2.... look at it much further down the line.

Gear cost simply scales far too quickly for any conversion to balance out over the long term. That was an extreme example, but even something as simple as a set of alphaware muscle augment/toner runs a character about 120k, which translates into 48 karma, which is a pretty huge fricken chunk.

The more interesting houserule I've heard is to vary the exchange rate depending on the rewards for the mission.

Basically, at the end of a completed adventure, payout and karma is tallied.
The exchange rate goes both ways, and is based on the total rewards(nuyen%karma), instead of a flat value. (though I do think its based on the cash reward before its split among the group, otherwise it would throw everything off)
What this means is that the actually monetary value of karma changes from mission to mission, and it creates a new minigame for the players to enjoy. Kind of like playing the stock market, its possible to come out ahead over time.

Though it may be slightly broken, and take a lot more planning to not imbalance things.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Paul @ Sep 22 2011, 01:32 PM) *

It's not a big deal as people seem to think, IMO. Remember, if they are selling looted stuff they get very little of the original price tag. Things that were used in crimes knock down the returns and increase the risk even further.
SleepMethod
QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 22 2011, 07:21 PM) *

Sammy is now upgrading to a Betaware Move By Wire 3. This costs 700,000 nuyen. At the same conversion rate being accepted at char gen, that translates into 280 karma. Does anyone legitimately think that a beta move by wire is worth THAT much karma? I doubt it. With that much karma, you can literally take your Magic 5 magician up to Initiate Grade 8, with 9 magic, with some karma to spare. Now look at what each character is getting, do those look remotely comparable? Also is any character ever likely to get anywhere near the 350 karma or nearly 1mil nuyen for this upgrade?

The game seems to assume that as you progress, you continue getting about the same karma, while your monetary gain goes up greatly. As long as this assumption is in place, any sort of unlimited conversion at a fixed is going to cause problems.

There's no reason why when you get to those levels you can't change the karma to nuyen ratio to something more reasonable like 100,000 nuyen to 1 karma or whatever suits the table at the time. Just like a currency exchange rate changes depending on the market smile.gif

QUOTE (Paul @ Sep 22 2011, 07:32 PM) *

In our group it's pretty much based on whay we could reasonably carry smile.gif Our hacker takes every comlink he can find for no reason I can fathom lol
enkidu
QUOTE (SleepMethod @ Sep 22 2011, 09:23 PM) *
In our group it's pretty much based on what we could reasonably carry smile.gif Our hacker takes every comlink he can find for no reason I can fathom lol

He's told me why. Assume it's disturbing and move on. biggrin.gif
Socinus
QUOTE (imperialus @ Sep 21 2011, 04:15 PM) *
Not only that but big run payouts really limits who you can offer jobs from. If the PC's won't get out of bed for less than 20K each, then who the heck can afford to hire them? You're pretty much stuck with offering jobs from Corps and Organized Crime syndicates. Unless you totally handwave the funds that other people might have available there is zero grey area for the PC's to get hired by a squatter community being menaced by gangs, or a down on his luck reporter who needs paydata for a big scoop, or anything like that... Why would the PC's even do a run as a favor for a friend if it meant they were getting paid peanuts?
Then tell them to make their own fun. Shadowrunners are criminals, they shouldnt be above going out and comitting some crimes if what the fixer is offering isnt good enough. If they dont want to do anything unless the way has been paved for them, fine, rent day and the bottom of their bank accounts WILL meet at some point. If they're too good to go knock over a truck or break into an R&D facility without someone telling them to, they need to reconsider their line of work.

At any rate, now that you've heard me bitching I'd like to toss out my idea for a solution. I call it the shadowbank (because hey it's Shadowrun we can add Shadow to anything and it sounds cool). Basically the shadowbank exists as a purely metagame mechanic. The characters have no knowledge of it, and the players only have a rough idea of its balance. I track it for each PC behind the screen. Now for each 1000 nuyen that the PC earns they only get to see approximately 100 nuyen of it. The remainder goes in the shadowbank. After the shadowbank has reached a considerable balance, the player can request big ticket items from it, and I will find a way to give them the opportunity to get their hands on the item for free/cheap.
I can see where that might be useful, but honestly it comes off like having a tight-fisted spouse. It would be difficult for me, as a player, to plan for things to buy because I have no idea how much I really have. Also, it'll mean you have your entire group after every reward asking "Can I afford XYZ?" I can see the utility, but it honestly seems like a pain in the butt.

Personally, I prefer to have a "character development" requirement. The rewards may be high, but as GM, I would require that you spend some money on character development. It may not necessarily have a direct in-game effect or benefit, but it fleshes out your character more.
Stalag
QUOTE (Seerow @ Sep 22 2011, 01:21 PM) *
or get his wired reflexes from rating 1 to rating 2

There's an option less than 3?? biggrin.gif cyber.gif
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Stalag @ Sep 23 2011, 03:05 AM) *
There's an option less than 3?? biggrin.gif cyber.gif

Actually, yes. For those situations where you have two standard cyber-arms fitted with spurs, cybereyes and no biocompatibility.
Ascalaphus
Isn't it much more cost-effective to replace Wired Reflexes with Synpatic Booster 3?

Beta WR-3 400.000 nuyen.gif 3.5 Essence
Standard SB-3 240.000 nuyen.gif 1.5 Essence
Midas
The whole shadowbank metaconcept seems totally redundant to me, as well as another way to dilute the "realism" of the game.

My players start as per RAI as competent professionals just starting to make names for themselves, with average payout about 5,000 per run. 5-10 runs down the line (depending on their success rate) they start getting the harder AA-corp type jobs with average payout around 20K. If they are good at that, then the odd high-risk big-payout AAA run might start dropping in their laps. So yes, at first they don't save much more than their cost of living, but as their rep goes up so does their bank balance.

I am amenable to karma newyen exchange at 10,000 for 1 karma, or 1 karma for 5,000 newyen, but none of my players have ever taken the option - the mundanes want to improve/diversify skills and raise attributes with karma as much as they want that shiny synaptic booster 3, and the awakened want small amounts of shiny expensive alpha-plus ware as much as they want to initiate/improve their skillset.

The character advancement imbalance you are worried about should only really start rearing its ugly head when the characters have amassed 200 karma or more, by which time the mundanes should have saved enough for a top-range implant. Initiating and raising magic give a great power boost, but are not exactly karma-shy. And if awakened characters in your game aren't also divesting themselves of karma for improving skills and spells as well as initiating, you probably aren't challenging them enough outside their comfort zone. As another poster suggested, making them pay for membership of magical groups could also deplete their bank balance if you are so inclined.

Players should be enjoying playing their character, and hopefully see them improve over time, and that should be all that matters to them. If they are looking over their shoulder and saying "It's not fair!" because another PC is getting more spotlight time, make sure you adjust your runs so everyone gets time to do their thing. And find a way to take the powerful character down a notch or two.
Psikerlord
We've never had an SR campaign go long enough to worry about balance issues between cash and karma. Everyone's always seemed to be wanting more of both! I guess if a campaign went on for years you might see a bit of a balance issue but the GM will hopefully see it coming an accomodate (cash wise - either more or less, depending on the what the magic types are doing with their karma)
Juno
QUOTE (enkidu @ Sep 23 2011, 12:00 AM) *
He's told me why. Assume it's disturbing and move on. biggrin.gif

That's a vicious three-quarters truth! (I'm nearly sure I didn't tell you why!)
Blade
The problem is that players don't have the mindset of professional criminals who lived in the worst conditions for years.
Realistically, most PCs wouldn't save money. They'd blow it on parties, luxury items (for them and their family/friends) and a luxury lifestyle for as long as they can until it's all gone and they need to get a new job. They wouldn't save to buy new ware: they'd borrow money from some loan sharks to get the ware they need and repay with the money they'd make in their next job.
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Blade @ Oct 11 2011, 02:51 AM) *
The problem is that players don't have the mindset of professional criminals who lived in the worst conditions for years.
Realistically, most PCs wouldn't save money. They'd blow it on parties, luxury items (for them and their family/friends) and a luxury lifestyle for as long as they can until it's all gone and they need to get a new job. They wouldn't save to buy new ware: they'd borrow money from some loan sharks to get the ware they need and repay with the money they'd make in their next job.

That's the assumption the game designers want to force on you to make the game "work." While true for some, if not many, of these professional (keyword) criminals, there's definitely going to be a fair share who see risking their lives as a gamble in order to get out of the shadows. They're not just in it for women and booze, and they're not suicidal sociopaths out for a good time. And, even worse, when you are looking to hire some people to commit corporate espionage for you, you'd rather hire people who are actual professionals rather than the carousing nitwits who don't care if they live or die. So those types of character getting hired for anything beyond suicide or strong arm missions is pretty unbelievable in and of itself.

I prefer the boozing, whoring, sociopathic type characters myself. But it's not really practical in a field that has so much competition. It's not like there's only five runners operating in any given metroplex. It's an entire subculture. So why would a Johnson hire my borderline street trash over a real professional who'd be just as welcoming of the paycheck as I would be?
Paul
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Oct 11 2011, 05:07 AM) *
That's the assumption the game designers want to force on you to make the game "work." While true for some, if not many, of these professional (keyword) criminals, there's definitely going to be a fair share who see risking their lives as a gamble in order to get out of the shadows. They're not just in it for women and booze, and they're not suicidal sociopaths out for a good time. And, even worse, when you are looking to hire some people to commit corporate espionage for you, you'd rather hire people who are actual professionals rather than the carousing nitwits who don't care if they live or die. So those types of character getting hired for anything beyond suicide or strong arm missions is pretty unbelievable in and of itself.

I prefer the boozing, whoring, sociopathic type characters myself. But it's not really practical in a field that has so much competition. It's not like there's only five runners operating in any given metroplex. It's an entire subculture. So why would a Johnson hire my borderline street trash over a real professional who'd be just as welcoming of the paycheck as I would be?

And besides all of this is personal preference. At my table there isn't a whole subculture, and often runner's are street trash-so the professionals stand out. So do the sociopaths.
Ascalaphus
Players tend to see cash as a way to improve their characters, while "realistically", characters see cash as A) retirement savings or B) something to spend on lifestyle.

It's really something you'd like players to work with themselves because they want to roleplay, not force them through rules. Of course, saving up money for retirement has benefits; if you happen to amass a pile of money, that's also money you can splurge on something other than retirement, such as bailing people out of jail, or funding revenge on the corporation of your choice.
Tiralee
Will do a longer reply but it's late and I'm not thinking so great.

We tend to go by book prices and book codes (supply & Demand) but I don't need to enforce SOTA costs - the players do that automatically. Yes, the players scrimp and save and store favours like nuts and dead hookers (Don't ask) but they're also smart about trying to "finesse" the good stuff. Yeah, you might have an uber contact with the right gear - but because you've made the scene a little hot, they're incommunicado until it dies down.

And laundering the money goods takes a swinging great whack off of that loot you've gotten. 1 million is great, 300,000-500,00 not so good between 6 people because your face ran into an absolute bastard of a negotiator, less the costs incurred and the 6-month hiatus you're going to have to have because your faces are all over the trid.

Shadowbank is an interesting concept, but more on that later
-Tir
DireRadiant
I just ask the players what they want. smile.gif They might not get it, but at least I know what will make them happy. Or what they think will make them happy. Sometimes it's just cookies.
cndblank
The other thing is if the runners are professionals with a decent rep then they are not going to be living hand to mouth because they will have to have a considerable investment in untraceable equipment (vehicles, gear, or ware).

The Johnson has to not only pay for their professional services and risk to their lives, but also cover the use and the risk to their working gear.

Gear that is hard to come by and can not be traced back to the Johnson's home office so at a premium.
Sure a good fixer can supply the needed gear, but that can get expensive fast and leave a trail.
And the runners will need time to familiarize themselves with it.
Much better to go to a runner team that already has the gear.

A rigger, hacker, or Street Samurai can have well over 100K in vehicles, gear, or ware. A Mage can use 10k in services for bound spirits in a run.

If there is a 10% chance that a quarter of their gear could be expended in the average run, then the runner has to take in 2500 nuyen per run just to cover base replacement cost let alone cover the cost of keeping up with SOTA or getting a fair price for the use of their gear. Plus cover any normal expenditures.

So if a runner is working four runs a month, to just be making as much as a lower middle class wage slave, he has to be clearing around 15K.

And two thirds of that goes to maintaining and replacing gear.

So the runner really needs to make more like 5K per run.

And a Johnson is wasting his company's cred if he is hiring runner without access to the gear needed to make sure the run will succeed.
If the operation is worth 250K with a 50% chance of success then a 25K investment for the research, fixer fee, and upfront cred to the runners with 25K more to the runners if a success would be a 400% return on the operation.
Are you going to risk 250K in order to save ten or twenty K on the runner team?
cndblank
The other thing is that the upfront cred and any payment they get even if the run goes south has to cover the risk to the vehicles, gear, or ware.
The more gear a team is bringing to the table (that will be used in the run) the more upfront and guaranteed cred a team is going to demand.

Paul
QUOTE (cndblank @ Oct 13 2011, 12:46 PM) *
The more gear a team is bringing to the table (that will be used in the run) the more upfront and guaranteed cred a team is going to demand.

Huh. I guess we just don't see it that way. We generally expect that you, as a professional, have the gear required to do the basic job. You might request funds to cover especially expensive specialized equipment-but then from the looks of this thread I think our group has a pretty unique approach to...well a lot. Heh. smile.gif
Ol' Scratch
QUOTE (Paul @ Oct 13 2011, 12:03 PM) *
Huh. I guess we just don't see it that way. We generally expect that you, as a professional, have the gear required to do the basic job. You might request funds to cover especially expensive specialized equipment-but then from the looks of this thread I think our group has a pretty unique approach to...well a lot. Heh. smile.gif

It's a realism vs. metagame problem.

In reality, you're trying to earn money. Not spend it just so you can play the game. Real professionals using real equipment with a sizable price tag on it are going to expect a larger pay check, especially if that equipment is going to be at risk. They didn't buy that equipment just so they can play an RPG, they bought it because it increases their value as professionals.

That said, shadowrunners are in a buyer's market. Despite what individual GMs prefer in their take of the game world, shadowrunners are a dime a dozen, especially in major cities like Seattle or Denver. If a group of runners won't do a job for a buck fiddy, a Johnson can just have the Fixers find some that will.

If you are one of the GMs who plays in a world where shadowrunners aren't easy to find, then it becomes more of a problem for one's suspension of disbelief. Runners should be setting the price, not the Johnsons. That's how it is in most works of fiction, too. Want to hire an assassin, thief, or other criminal? They tell you how much it'll cost, not the other way around, and the more professional they are and the more toys they have to use to get the job done, the bigger that price tag is.
Paul
QUOTE (Ol' Scratch @ Oct 13 2011, 01:43 PM) *
It's a realism vs. metagame problem.

Uhmmm...okay.

In reality, you're trying to earn money.

Well that's kind of limiting isn't it? In reality some people are looking to earn. Others are action junkies. Still others just have nothing else. Many more options than just earning as I see it. But then too much of conversation-in the whole thread-makes a lot judgments based on the system. I think that's the problem half the time-people make their assumptions based on game information. I guess that's what you were getting at in the first sentence?

So I guess we're agreeing then? Sure we vary on some of the details-but overall I'd say we have at least a similar slant. There is one area I think I see things differently that I'd like to address however

If you are one of the GMs who plays in a world where shadowrunners aren't easy to find, then it becomes more of a problem for one's suspension of disbelief.

I don't agree with this premise, but let's look at the rest so I can make sense of my opinions, shall we?

Runners should be setting the price, not the Johnsons.

Why? I'd say it's kind of a two way street. The Johnson realistically only has so much of an operational budget. Now that total can be influenced by the players-but the idea that only the players (Which is what you seem to suggest, so correct me if I'm wrong.) should set the price seems a little off.

That's how it is in most works of fiction, too. Want to hire an assassin, thief, or other criminal? They tell you how much it'll cost, not the other way around, and the more professional they are and the more toys they have to use to get the job done, the bigger that price tag is.

Ah buut the market can only bear so much. Yeah Walmart get's to set the price on it's shelves, but if Meijer's, K-Mart and Target under sell them, they'll have to lower their prices right? If a team of runner price themselves out of the market, it's no different, right?
Ol' Scratch
Just because the runners are setting it, that doesn't meant he Johnson will accept it or won't offer his own counter-offer, nor does it mean that there isn't competition out there willing to do it for less (which is a non-issue if you play in a version of the game where runners are extraordinarily rare). It also doesn't mean that the Johnson can't just put an open offer out through various Fixers in the hopes of finding someone that way.

But if you want the guys with all the best skills and all the coolest toys, you have to be prepared to pay a lot. If they weren't looking to make money, they wouldn't invest all the time and effort into getting those skills or those grossly overpriced pieces of equipment. They'd be too busy blowing their cash on tequila and joytoys.

It's the goofy mindset that the Johnson always offers up anything they want and the players either have to take it or starve that's unbelievable. Especially when they've invested a hundred times that offer on their latest gadget, and doubly so when the job requires them to burn through more resources than they're earning. That's where it goes from unbelievable to absurd.
cndblank
What ever works for you.

I personally don't think that riggers with a 100k of top of the line untraceable surveillance and combat drones can be found hanging around the local Stuffer Shack.
Same goes for hot shot hackers, SOTA street samurai, and high power mages.

I just find it hard to believe these guys would risks their hard to get toys for peanuts from some Johnson.

Also note that the runner was putting over half his paycheck just to replace and upgrade his gear.

Certainly the Johnson is not paying for what he doesn't expect to use.
If the run is all about surveillance then he is not paying for the use of any combat drones or bound Spirit services.
And a Johnson can going go up as far as his budget.

Also work goes up and down.
Some times after a dry spell the runners are going to be hungry for a run just to keep their rep up and a roof over their head.
Other times you will be flush and can afford to pick and chose.
Other times you can't work because of the heat or injuries and you still have to make rent.

Certainly when you are starting out you are at your fixer's mercy. Newbie runners are a dime a dozen.
And if you have to start over, then you have to rebuild your rep and your resources.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012