Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character clinic
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Hida Tsuzua
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 21 2011, 10:57 PM) *
There are no "emotional charges" in an off the rack piece of literature, as they are all produced ib masse, by machines.. smile.gif

Admittingly the support of this was better in older editions where it just said the emotional intent of a work was sensed on the astral (SR3 173). Street Magic page 112 says that you can read the emotional resonance of a significant tome who's had an emotional impact on many people which is a weird way to say "this only applies to family bibles, the Book of Kells, and the US Constitution." Then again maybe she buys manga from otaku who really cared about their collections or something.

As for manifest spirits, it looks like they may or may not be able to read, but at the very least have normal human senses. How much they actually use said senses is left vague behind an NPC (Street Magic 92). So I guess it's one of those changes to spirits that was done from SR3 to SR4 just like flying (all spirits used to fly, now most just don't feel like it).
Ryu
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Oct 21 2011, 08:24 PM) *
Big D said she loves manga. But still, using a tacnet or a smartlink is right out. Books are "dumb" technology after all wink.gif

Either that or higher programming.
Mardrax
QUOTE (Hida Tsuzua @ Oct 22 2011, 03:12 PM) *
So I guess it's one of those changes to spirits that was done from SR3 to SR4 just like flying (all spirits used to fly, now most just don't feel like it).

All spirits fly, some just have the skill to fly a tad faster, like everyone can run, but some people have the skill to run a tad faster.
Froggie
Hey Dumpshock,

Here is an ex DocWagon HRT combat medic turned ghoul character that i've been hoping to play in my groups next new session.

Basic background at this point is that he was infected on a DocWagon response call to a client and was either setup by a co-worker with a bad grudge to get him trapped or cut off inside a ghoul nest. He escapes but without avoiding infection but finds he was left for dead by the corp - I doubt they would let an infected work there in any capacity.

Character generation notes:
- 400BP
- the GM has ruled that since the PC had cyber before getting infected the PC still has magic at 1 until they lose more essence.
- no sns bullets at character generation.

Any suggestions/comments/witty one liners appreciated.

Attributes:
[ Spoiler ]

Skills
[ Spoiler ]

Gear:
[ Spoiler ]

Lifestyle:
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:
[ Spoiler ]

Stingray
...From Runner's Companion (pg 82) Infertile Infected..no fear to infect others by accident..
Surge??

Froggie
QUOTE (Stingray @ Oct 30 2011, 01:30 AM) *
...From Runner's Companion (pg 82) Infertile Infected..no fear to infect others by accident..

Thought about that, but decided against it - lots of elbow length latex gloves and disinfectant before operating.

Surge??

Not sure what you mean. Surge not allowed by GM.
Stingray
QUOTE (Froggie @ Oct 30 2011, 10:22 AM) *
Thought about that, but decided against it - lots of elbow length latex gloves and disinfectant before operating.

Not sure what you mean. Surge not allowed by GM.

Surge- option is out..
hmmm...w/ lot of experience of healing, what about buying Shop (medical) and starting to provide medical help,
i think gangers would provide protection..
..modding the armor is always good idea...
Seriously Mike
Here's a catchphrase for this guy:
"What have you got there, patient or lunch?"
Stingray
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Nov 1 2011, 05:13 PM) *
Here's a catchphrase for this guy:
"What have you got there, patient or lunch?"

..or payment?.. biggrin.gif
Dakka Dakka
I hope I'm not interrupting anything, I got a character of my own on which i could use some feedback:

== Info ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Attributes ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Derived Attributes ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Active Skills ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Knowledge Skills ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Contacts ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Qualities ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Armor ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Weapons ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Martial Arts ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Commlink ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Gear ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Vehicles ==
[ Spoiler ]

I still have 1829 ¥ left to spend. Any ideas what to buy?
Stingray
QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Nov 1 2011, 07:14 PM) *
I hope I'm not interrupting anything, I got a character of my own on which i could use some feedback:

== Info ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Attributes ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Derived Attributes ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Active Skills ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Knowledge Skills ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Contacts ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Qualities ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Cyberware/Bioware ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Armor ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Weapons ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Martial Arts ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Commlink ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Gear ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Vehicles ==
[ Spoiler ]

I still have 1829 ¥ left to spend. Any ideas what to buy?

Internal Air Tank- (alphaware) ( immunity to breath-taking chemical (do not remember name and i' at work..)
..looking again at essence number....maybe something else..
latex mask/nanopaste disguise
Stun baton/stun gloves
tag eraser/scanner
white noise generator
Dakka Dakka
QUOTE (Stingray @ Nov 1 2011, 05:29 PM) *
Internal Air Tank- (alphaware) ( immunity to breath-taking chemical (do not remember name and i' at work..)
..looking again at essence number....maybe something else..
Already got a gas mask, which as of SR4A (or was it one of the errata for SR4?), provides the same immunity.

latex mask/nanopaste disguise
Good idea. Wearing an obvious mask is not always an option.

Stun baton/stun gloves
Not so sure about that. In places where you cannot take the weapons with SnS, you probably can't take those either. In that case he still can subdue people with 9S/Complex Action.

tag eraser/scanner
white noise generator
Got those now.

With the remaining 729¥ the character will build a fake moon landing site - with blackjack and hookers.
On second thought, forget the moon landing site. wink.gif
Froggie
QUOTE (Stingray @ Nov 1 2011, 09:40 AM) *
..or payment?.. biggrin.gif

I freaking love this. spin.gif
Seriously Mike
Do we have any "skeletons" for Hacker characters, ie. partial builds or other recipes focusing on what a Hacker should absolutely have?
Seriously Mike
And again with the hackers (and technomancers): does a TM hacker need to have Encrypt/Decrypt CFs, or should he thread them instead when needed? I mean, you can thread yourself a pretty mean CF if you have enough dice, and Encrypt isn't really necessary for everyday use. With Decrypt, the matter is a little different, but from what I see, you could have it threaded when needed, decrypt what you need to decrypt and then drop the sustaining.
Also, the Corebook hacker vs. the Archetypes hackers: I noticed that the CB hacker is more versatile, and won't get shot up easily, while the Archetypes are pretty much spazzes - well, maybe with the exception of "combat hacker", who's best at hacking... opponents with a hatchet. What am I not seeing in those builds?
squee_nabob
Encrypt doesn’t’ require a roll, it just sets the threshold for decryption (2x Encryption Rating, 1 combat turn).

Normally the max rating is 6, so that is threshold 12. To buy 12 hits, you need 11 dice of Initiate Cryptanalysis (Decrypt + Electronics Warfare skill). Thus, if you can get up to 11 dice with threading or sprites, you don’t need the Decrypt CF.

TM’s can’t Encrypt their bionode, only files and communications. They can’t store files on their bionode,, so really that just means your communications. If you feel that is important enough, then either thread or buy the Encrypt CF. Otherwise just own a comlink with the Encrypt Program and run that on your files and communications (through the comlink). It takes no skill, so it doesn’t matter that you are a TM.

Hope that answered the TM question.
UmaroVI
There's 2 hacker-types in the core book, the Hacker and the Technomancer, and 5 in the Archetypes: the Generalist, Combat Hacker, Mercenary Rigger, Technoshaman, and Info Savant.

The Technoshaman and Info Savant both are spazzes in meatspace combat, because it's pretty much impossible not to be as a technomancer without being either a really specific, really finickety type of Logic technomancer, or being bad enough at technomancy that you should have been a hacker. Both of them should hide in drones during fights or just hide. However, they are actually still less awful than the Technomancer CB character, who has body 2, and armor that encumbers him.

The Generalist, Combat Hacker, and Mercenary rigger are all OK to pretty good at meatspace combat, and all three are better at actual hacking than the Hacker (and are dramatically better at things like fighting and B&E). The main reason for this is that they are using skill-enchancer effects like Encephalon, PuSHeD, and NeoCortical that don't exist in the core book, and also that the Hacker is poorly built in general.

The core book hacker is better at meatspace combat than the Archetypes technomancers (although not really enough to matter, and only once he throws away his armor and buys proper armor), but that's kind of an apples-oranges comparison.
Seriously Mike
Oh well, I outright banned anything based off Archetypes in my campaign (I said "I see anything like 20 dice on HMG, 15 dice on Sneak and 16 dice on soak at Day One, the guy gets fed to Shedim."). That kinda solves my problem.
As for Decryption - there is a real chance my players will need to decrypt something, be it a phone call or a drone control link. I want to know what to advise, as they're all first-timers.
Seriously Mike
OK. So I wanted to build a wheelman/car thief. She can steal a car, evade the cops, then roll to the garage, clear the ride and repair it if necessary. Considering what sort of crazy stunts Turbo Bunny could pull, I wanted a Rigga With Attitude - someone who can drive like crazy, be it hands-on or remote. So I bashed together a quick one in Chummer, using PACKS kits for main focus skills. And then I ran out of options. And BPs.

Alexandria Jane "Lex" Vincent

== Attributes ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Active Skills ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Qualities ==
[ Spoiler ]

==SWAG==
[ Spoiler ]

Am I even doing this right?
Udoshi
Couple nitpicks.

If you want to reliably STEAL vehicles or drones, you almost certainly want a big van with a faraday cage to put them in until you can get them TO the chop shop. I'm a fan of the hermes.

No infiltration skill. You need it to sneak vehicles past sensors.

Pilot ground: Wheeled is pretty much the best specialization. There is no reason to use anything but.

Get thyself an external sim module and a reality filter 6, optimized 3, ergonomic. Rigging in 4th doesn't require a Control Rig, but it helps, and you -want- the option.

You forgot all your mechanic tools. Get toolkits and shops at the bare minimum.
Seriously Mike
Turns out I blew way too much money on a set of wheels I could easily gotten cheaper. So, once again:

Lex Vincent, Human

== Attributes ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Skills ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Qualities ==
[ Spoiler ]

== SWAG ==
[ Spoiler ]
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Dec 2 2011, 01:18 PM) *
Couple nitpicks.

If you want to reliably STEAL vehicles or drones, you almost certainly want a big van with a faraday cage to put them in until you can get them TO the chop shop. I'm a fan of the hermes.

Can I use a tag eraser instead? Or is there something more I should know about?

No infiltration skill. You need it to sneak vehicles past sensors.

Stealth group. Only at 2, but should be enough for a start.

Pilot ground: Wheeled is pretty much the best specialization. There is no reason to use anything but.

Yeah, I'll get around to changing that.

Get thyself an external sim module and a reality filter 6, optimized 3, ergonomic. Rigging in 4th doesn't require a Control Rig, but it helps, and you -want- the option.

Considering that I've already built a damn good hands-on driver, and that I wouldn't use Rigging for anything besides driving the car remotely, I just ditched the idea of building a rigger and decided to have a car that will come pick you up when you send a proper command via commlink.

You forgot all your mechanic tools. Get toolkits and shops at the bare minimum.
Shit, I really did. There goes the 15k nuyen.
MortVent
New character idea (ex ganger turned face) haven't done gear/augments yet (not sure if going to start out with any cyber/bio yet)

Character is a recovered BTL addict (hence the lower than expected physical stats), wasn't the top end of the gang's muscle. But near the top on interacting with others (wound up being a messenger more than a shooter, but still able to kick in heads)

Ishtar Haskins "Fancy"

Ork (20)

Attributes (195 + 20)
[ Spoiler ]

qualities (0 net)
[ Spoiler ]

Active skills (144)
[ Spoiler ]

Knowledge skills (24 free)
[ Spoiler ]

Contacts:(16)
[ Spoiler ]

Resources (5): 25000
Seriously Mike
One of my players wants to "tweak" the Drone Rigger (from SR4 corebook). This character is so fucking wrong it's not even funny. I even decided to share my thoughts on it.

Any suggestions about building a Dwarven mechanic? If he has some rigging capability, it's even better.
X-Kalibur
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Feb 3 2012, 01:42 PM) *
One of my players wants to "tweak" the Drone Rigger (from SR4 corebook). This character is so fucking wrong it's not even funny. I even decided to share my thoughts on it.

Any suggestions about building a Dwarven mechanic? If he has some rigging capability, it's even better.

I was wondering how you real feel about the rigger AT. Was that the SR4 sample or the 4A sample? I don't remember if they updated the 4A one to not be total shite as written (but still subpar, I remember massaging it a little for my gf to make it playable).
Seriously Mike
SR4, with all those stupid errors like Autopicker with no rating and Gear section apparently assembled by a retarded monkey.
Seriously Mike
== Info ==
Street Name: Sunshine
Name: Liza Underhill
Movement: 8/20, Swim: 4
Street Cred: 0
Notoriety: 0
Public Awareness: 0
Dwarf
Composure: 7
Judge Intentions: 7
Lift/Carry: 6 (45 kg/30 kg)
Memory: 9
Nuyen: 0

== Attributes ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Active Skills ==
[ Spoiler ]

== Contacts ==
Charlie Kwan (Fixer) (3, 2)
Lin (mechanic) (2, 1)

== Qualities ==
[ Spoiler ]

== CRAP: ==
[ Spoiler ]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012