Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hello smart pants
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
hobgoblin
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/09/smart-jeans/

SR meets RL, fight!
suoq
Those would be great for people on TextsFromLastNight.

"Used Twitter to find my pants. They were flying from the frat house flagpole."
CanRay
When they put an RFID tag in my Driver's License, I'm getting this. (I don't carry credit cards.).

And, in the far more likely possibility of a RFID tag in my Passport, this.

If I start seeing RFIDs in my clothing, I'm going to start visiting scrap yards and finding that damned electromagnet.
Ascalaphus
I was at a computer science symposium focusing on computer security a few years back, where they presented this, which is rather shadowrunny...
suoq
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 23 2011, 08:10 AM) *
When they put an RFID tag in my Driver's License, I'm getting this. (I don't carry credit cards.).

And, in the far more likely possibility of a RFID tag in my Passport, this.

If I start seeing RFIDs in my clothing, I'm going to start visiting scrap yards and finding that damned electromagnet.

In addition to the above, buy a RFID tag reader. Our in-office tests of RFID blockers (like the ones you linked) found that, for the most part, they sucked wind. It turned out that it was much more difficult to block the signal than we thought it would be. Getting a complete, no gap, envelope around the tag while being able to access the tag quickly was non-trivial.

As with most security, what we found was RFID blockers provided the "illusion of security" rather than actual security. Actual security was not without it's impact on usability.
CanRay
Great. Now I have to wrap the damned thing in tinfoil.
Shortstraw
Luckily my house wears an alfoil hat smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 23 2011, 10:03 AM) *
Great. Now I have to wrap the damned thing in tinfoil.

Is there any proof that wrapping an RFID tag (which is essentially a loop of copper wire attached to a computer chip that when it receives and electromagnetic source it generates power to do its thing) in foil like that would block the signal?

Also:

Latest tweets from @myPants:

2:20am, in the dirty clothes pile
2:30am, in the dirty clothes pile
2:40am, in the dirty clothes pile
2:50am, in the dirty clothes pile
3:00am, in the dirty clothes pile
3:10am, in the dirty clothes pile

wink.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 23 2011, 09:24 AM) *
Is there any proof that wrapping an RFID tag (which is essentially a loop of copper wire attached to a computer chip that when it receives and electromagnetic source it generates power to do its thing) in foil like that would block the signal?
No. I was being sarcastic and referring to Tinfoil Hat-Wearers.

No, I get a Passport with a RFID Tag in it, I'm going to see about building an actual Faraday Cage for it. Or, if one's built well enough that I can trust it, buy one.

I've kind of burnt and electrocuted myself enough times to think twice about building things when I don't have to.
Yerameyahu
You can make a tinfoil-ducttape wallet for it. I'm not saying it *works*, just that it's a thing you could make. wink.gif
Traul
How about merging smart pants, endowment and the multitool in a single perv thread?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 23 2011, 11:36 AM) *
How about merging smart pants, endowment and the multitool in a single perv thread?

It lacks dragon body fluids and luscious brown elf nipples.
Dr.Rockso
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 23 2011, 11:13 AM) *
It lacks dragon body fluids and luscious brown elf nipples.

I'm not sure whether I should be proud or ashamed that I understand this. Probably a mix of both.
Squiddy Attack
QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Sep 23 2011, 12:52 PM) *
I'm not sure whether I should be proud or ashamed that I understand this. Probably a mix of both.

You know you feel proud deep down.
Drace
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 23 2011, 09:24 AM) *

Your talking about booster bags and the like, and to a degree they do work pretty damn well if lined properly with tinfoil. With that said though, for stopping the transmission of a 'smart' RFID that transmits? No, it is generally thought that the new smarter security system RFIDs used in some stores anti-theft devices aren't fooled by booster bags and other similiar concepts, but their 'stupid' cousins (EAS systems and cheaper passive RFIDs), which don't transmit and merely signal off when going past a checking device (those nice little pillars and the like at store exits.) if they haven't been deactivated.
JanessaVR
If this becomes widespread, I'll just buy a cheap RFID reader off the internet, use it to find out where the tags are in my clothing, snip them out with a little pair of scissors and then stitch them back up. Problem solved, no big fuss.

EDIT:

Say, something like this.
CanRay
Pants, yes. Can't do that on the exceptional amounts of information on other RFID stuff that's becoming standard on things like driver's licenses and passports.

And, considering how close I am to the US, this is a concern of mine whenever I want to cross the border. Just who can get what info off of me when I flash my passport to the nice border guard who will hopefully not grab me for the full body cavity search.

Still better than flying.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012