Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question for the discerning infiltrator
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Aria
Do you cast a shadow when you're in a ruthenium coated suit? In theory you would wouldn't you? It is just glorified camouflage rather than any sort of invisibility...

Ghost in the Shell is a way off yet?!?
Yerameyahu
Sure, I'd think so. Lasers also don't go through you. smile.gif I assume that's already factored in, though. That's why it's +X instead of 'you fail to see them'.
pbangarth
Yes, you would cast a shadow, as the ruthenium suit isn't bending light around you, it is projecting an image in all directions. Now, is the projection of a light source on one side of the suit strong enough to cancel a shadow on the other side of the suit? I don't think so. What's more, it would distort the angle at which an observer would see the distant light source. From the right angle, the observer could see two light sources.
Stalag
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Sep 24 2011, 01:55 PM) *
Yes, you would cast a shadow, as the ruthenium suit isn't bending light around you, it is projecting an image in all directions. Now, is the projection of a light source on one side of the suit strong enough to cancel a shadow on the other side of the suit? I don't think so. What's more, it would distort the angle at which an observer would see the distant light source. From the right angle, the observer could see two light sources.

If it was it would be bright enough that in darkness you'd have a glow like a turned on TV with a black screen
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 24 2011, 01:52 PM) *
Sure, I'd think so. Lasers also don't go through you. smile.gif I assume that's already factored in, though. That's why it's +X instead of 'you fail to see them'.

Well, Chameleon suit gives a -4 to perception tests to notice. If it was complete invisibilty, it would give -6, since perception covers more then sight. Or even sight of just the individual.
Ascalaphus
God help you if you're walking through some sort of fog or smoke while emitting light..
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Ascalaphus @ Sep 24 2011, 02:44 PM) *
God help you if you're walking through some sort of fog or smoke while emitting light..

Turn that infiltration into a disco dance-off. It'll all work out in the end
Yerameyahu
Right, HunterHerne, so that missing -2 is things like shadows.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 24 2011, 02:54 PM) *
Right, HunterHerne, so that missing -2 is things like shadows.

That would be my assumption, yeah. It's a good deal, if one asked me.
KarmaInferno
This is why you don't RELY on the chameleon suit to hide. You stack as many perception modifiers as you can on top of it.

The guy standing in the middle of a brightly lit room isn't gonna be able to hide well, even with a chameleon suit.

The guy gecko gripped to the ceiling in deep shadow wearing a thermal~damped radar~shielded Anti~MAD chameleon suit, however...

~k
HunterHerne
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Sep 24 2011, 04:59 PM) *
This is why you don't RELY on the chameleon suit to hide. You stack as many perception modifiers as you can on top of it.

The guy standing in the middle of a brightly lit room isn't gonna be able to hide well, even with a chameleon suit.

The guy gecko gripped to the ceiling in deep shadow wearing a thermal~damped radar~shielded Anti~MAD chameleon suit, however...

~k

This is very true. It's so very much easier to inflict perception penalties then increase your infiltration pool, anyway.
HunterHerne
Double post.
TheOOB
When asking questions about chameleon suits, remember that it's just adaptive camouflage, it's like having a ghili suit perfectly made for the exact spot you're in at any given moment without the weight.

So yes, you cast a shadow, but generally only if people are looking behind you relative to the source of light.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012