Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First Mage Concept
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
The Wrestling Troll
So after 8 years of not playing Shadowrun I found some friends to play again. But since i'm only familiar with SR3 rules, I had to adapt and learn the new Stuff from SR4.
I'm still not sure if I made a Mage that can survive good enough so I would like your Opinions!

Edit: I followed the Instructions and optimized the build based on feedback I got in this Thread (thanks again for showing me the flaws in this build!)
Thanks for the tipp with the Orc, it really does give me +1 BOD and +1 STR for free.... Changed it now.

And for the Background Story..... I really haven't got one yet. But as soon as I write one I will post it for you guys smile.gif

Hans Von Bergstein aka "Ze German"
[ Spoiler ]
Paul
I like him, but my initial question may strike you as a weird spot to take issue with-but by all means he looks like a suave urban magician, so why does he an off road bike?

But yeah my initial view of the numbers is favorable. What's the back story?
Paul
In fact I like him enough where i think I'm going to use him as an NPC in my upcoming game.
HunterHerne
Special note: You can't take specializations for skills you don't have at least one rank in, in this case, Perception.

Buy some glasses, or contacts, with image link, vision enhancement, and smart link. And don't forget to pick up a commlink, they are necessary gear in SR4, being your passport/driver's license/SIN/phone/PC/etc.
Paul
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Oct 2 2011, 01:41 PM) *
Special note: You can't take specializations for skills you don't have at least one rank in, in this case, Perception.

Oops, yeah he's right. I missed that.
UmaroVI
Problems:

The Psionic tradition comes with a whole pile of "and fuck YOU for wanting to be a psychic, sir," including the restriction that you cannot have a mentor spirit. You also can't prepare vessels, FYI.

Powergaming:

I would switch the ratings of the two foci (actually, I would replace them with a force 3 health focus for Improved Reflexes and a Force 4 power focus, like every optimal magician ever, but I'm assuming you know that and didn't want to). Low-force illusions are rather iffy, because a force 3 illusion will just never work against stuff like drones, and a lot of people can see through it. Force 3 sustained manipulation spells are still nifty though, because they generally have unopposed effects.

I'd switch Agility and Reaction.

Banishing is a trap option in SR4. Your character can "banish" spirits with a Powerbolt more effectively and safely than with Banishing.

Chaotic World and Animate are both for silly. Influence is a much better spell and is Manipulation, also in line with Psionics. Levitate is also super useful and again a classic psionic power.

You need to indicate which of your spells use fetishes. Right now it appears none do but you did buy fetishes.
The Wrestling Troll
Thanks for showing me the flaws in my build!

I will adjust it and post the "better" build as soon as I got the time wink.gif

Like I said ... haven't played for 8 years and forgot some basic rules and PG tricks hehe
Traul
QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Oct 2 2011, 08:01 PM) *
Problems:

The Psionic tradition comes with a whole pile of "and fuck YOU for wanting to be a psychic, sir," including the restriction that you cannot have a mentor spirit. You also can't prepare vessels, FYI.

Where is it described?
The Wrestling Troll
I followed all your advises and reworked my Mage a little bit.

Waiting for more precious, juicy feedback to improve him even more!
If you like my mage feel free to use it as a NPC or PC in your campaign !
Traul
It is a bit sad to admit, but if you make exactly the same character as an Ork you get +1 BOD and +1 STR for free.
The Wrestling Troll
Yeah you're right. Being an Orc really gives free Stats.
Since I haven't made a background story yet, "Mr. Von Bergstein" is now an Orc hehe
Ryu
With that power focus 4 I would lower Magic to 5 (-25 BP). Replace the individual spellcasting skills by Sorcery 4 (-10 BP). Get the Perceptive 2 quality (10 BP). Increase Summoning to 6 (20 BP). Have 25k¥ in ressources (5 BP).
UmaroVI
QUOTE (Traul @ Oct 2 2011, 02:51 PM) *
Where is it described?

Digital Grimoire.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012