Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Minigun attack penalty
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Krrayn
This is my first time playing a street sam, so I'm still trying to pick up the nuances of gun-fu combat. Please bear with me.

Last session we picked up a Vindicator minigun. In the side bar in Arsenal on the next page it says that firing a minigun carried a -14 DP penalty to the attack roll. What? why? does this mean if I get maximum agility enhancement to 9 and maximum Heavy Weapons skill to 6, I can get ONE DIE to roll to attack? if my net DP is 0 or less, I can't even fire the thing?

can anyone give me an example of how I might by RAW overcome some of this crippling? Otherwise this gun is just a fifty pound lump of lead worth some 5,000 nuyen.gif at best.

Again, sorry for my ignorance. I did try a search first but couldn't find any sort of explanation.

Thanks in advance!
Yerameyahu
Recoil. Mount it on a vehicle.
Summerstorm
Hm.. -14?

I thought just double {heavy weapon} of uncompensated recoil. So a raw, unaided shooting is at -28.

But there are so many ways of pushing that down.
Mount it on a vehicle or fit it to the ground = 0 penalty {Or body of Vehicle free}
Or just combine things like Gyroscopic Harness+Super-Strength +Grip+Gasvent+Shock pad or something for like 10 points recoil compensation.

But overall: Yeah. Nobody fires aimed, perfect shots with a damn minigun. And rightly so. Just use it for suppressive fire if you can't handle the awesomeness. And if you can do well enough : Spread the love *g*.
Yerameyahu
Ooh, good point! -28 makes more sense to me. biggrin.gif Good luck with that, smug trollsam. nyahnyah.gif
Bigity
Only Jesse Ventura is awsome enough to fire a minigun standing under his own power.
Loch
Funny you should ask. Heavy Weapons Troll can do this easily. You want:
-Gyro stabilization system
-Gas Vent 3
-Heavy Barrel
-Personalized Grip/Electronic Firing
-Hip Pad

That gets you 12 points of RC. For the last two points, you need Strength 10 or higher (easily done with a cyberarm), provided your DM allows the optional rules from Arsenal for high strength allowing extra Recoil Comp.

For realism's sake, my GM also ruled that it needed gas vent 3 and heavy barrel six times. This brings Natascha to a grand total of 41,325 nuyen before ammo costs (which are roughly as large as the budget of a third-world country).

Remember, shoot straight and conserve ammunition. Watching your back and never dealing with dragons is also highly recommended. cyber.gif
HunterHerne
Also, if your dice pool does go to zero or lower, you always have the option of doing a long shot test. That would be, spend a point of edge to roll only your edge on the test in question (no exploding 6's).
Yerameyahu
Loch, no part of that is 'easily', including the 'easily' Strength 10 arm. biggrin.gif I'm glad to hear your GM is good, though.
Loch
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 23 2011, 08:43 PM) *
Loch, no part of that is 'easily'. biggrin.gif

Easy enough to be doable at chargen grinbig.gif

But yeah, you won't really have time for other guns, especially with all the bullets you'll be buying.
Dez384
QUOTE (Loch @ Oct 23 2011, 08:46 PM) *
Easy enough to be doable at chargen grinbig.gif

But yeah, you won't really have time for other guns, especially with all the bullets you'll be buying.

Your party won't really have time for other guns either.
Loch
Hey, they chose not to have 3+ initiative passes. nyahnyah.gif
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Loch @ Oct 23 2011, 07:32 PM) *
Remember, shoot straight and conserve ammunition. Watching your back and never dealing with dragons is also highly recommended. cyber.gif

But using a mini-gun, by definition means you are not conserving ammo. So in the end a mini-gun by its very nature is not a good thing for running the shadows. Of course there is the rule of cool....
Loch
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Oct 23 2011, 09:53 PM) *
But using a mini-gun, by definition means you are not conserving ammo. So in the end a mini-gun by its very nature is not a good thing for running the shadows. Of course there is the rule of cool....

We're playing a pink mohawk game set in the Caribbean; certain freedoms come with that territory. Not that you'd know it by the black trenchcoat Voodoo mystic we pal around with, but there's no changing some people wobble.gif
crash2029
QUOTE (Loch @ Oct 23 2011, 04:32 PM) *
-Gas Vent 3
-Heavy Barrel
-Hip Pad

That gets you 12 points of RC. For the last two points, you need Strength 10 or higher (easily done with a cyberarm), provided your DM allows the optional rules from Arsenal for high strength allowing extra Recoil Comp.

For realism's sake, my GM also ruled that it needed gas vent 3 and heavy barrel six times. This brings Natascha to a grand total of 41,325 nuyen before ammo costs (which are roughly as large as the budget of a third-world country).

[/russian accent]"WHO TOUCHED MY GUN?!?"[/russian accent]
TeOdio
Miniguns when not mounted to a troll or a vehicle aren't really finesse weapons. They are lead hoses. Just look up suppression fire rules. Don't bother aiming at your targets. Just get explosive rounds and lay the lead hose on them suppression style and see them dance a jig not to get smacked with 10P damage. Keep them prone with the copious amounts of ammo it has until your teamates get them flanked or take more precise shots on them. Oh, yeah, that move doesn't cost you a dime to implement as well.
Yerameyahu
How many dimes is minigun suppression with explosive rounds? nyahnyah.gif Being prone doesn't really impede you, either… hopefully they don't have S&S.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Bigity @ Oct 24 2011, 07:58 AM) *
Only Jesse Ventura is awsome enough to fire a minigun standing under his own power.

Why no love for Arnie? Just because he was a cyborg...
Bodak
Why no love for Blain? Just because he ain't got time to bleed...
CanRay
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Oct 23 2011, 11:00 PM) *
Why no love for Arnie? Just because he was a cyborg...
0.0 Casualties, that's why no love for him. Tree-Hugging Hippie Peace Loving Pinko Terminator that he turned into. nyahnyah.gif
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Bodak @ Oct 24 2011, 12:28 PM) *

That was Jessie Ventura, right?

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 24 2011, 01:13 PM) *
0.0 Casualties, that's why no love for him. Tree-Hugging Hippie Peace Loving Pinko Terminator that he turned into. nyahnyah.gif

BLAM! "I thought I told you not to kill anyone!" "...He'll live"
thanks, now I have to go watch that movie again nyahnyah.gif
Makki
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Oct 24 2011, 02:36 AM) *
Also, if your dice pool does go to zero or lower, you always have the option of doing a long shot test. That would be, spend a point of edge to roll only your edge on the test in question (no exploding 6's).

Oh, my Mr Lucky would have fun with a long shot. Although he actually has Agi 3 and Heavy Weapons 1.

"Hey big guy! Give me that Vindibaby. I'll try my luck with it" Rolls 7 dice.
Stingray
QUOTE (Loch @ Oct 24 2011, 03:32 AM) *
-Gas Vent 3
-Heavy Barrel
-Hip Pad

..adding a Underbarrel weight-mod gives 1 point of rc, so w/ STR 6, u are good to go..
Grinder
Does an underbarrel weight fit at a minigun?
Stingray
QUOTE (Grinder @ Oct 24 2011, 12:19 PM) *
Does an underbarrel weight at a minigun?

only weapon-type that underbarrel weight-mod can not be added is hold-out pistol.
so, minigun w/underbarrel weight -mod do work..
Grinder
Sounds about right. Not. grinbig.gif
hobgoblin
Gas vent on a minigun?!
Stingray
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Oct 24 2011, 01:39 PM) *
Gas vent on a minigun?!

Vindicator minigun is a Light Machine gun, Gas vent system can be added to ALL machine guns (if not specially noted for not able to), so yes..
Kliko
A shotgun version of a minigun!
hobgoblin
Ugh, why did they even bother leaving that sidebar in there...
Loch
QUOTE (Stingray @ Oct 24 2011, 05:03 AM) *
..adding a Underbarrel weight-mod gives 1 point of rc, so w/ STR 6, u are good to go..

Man, that would be so cool, except that underbarrel weight RC isn't cumulative with gyromount RC...
Stingray
quote name='Loch' date='Oct 24 2011, 02:13 PM' post='1117335']
Man, that would be so cool, except that underbarrel weight RC isn't cumulative with gyromount RC...
[/quote]
..forget about that...
well..
cyberhand w/str enc. mods would do then..

or tossing minigun away and buying regular Heavy/Medium machine gun and modding it would be better option (IMOO)
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Stingray @ Oct 24 2011, 07:23 AM) *
quote name='Loch' date='Oct 24 2011, 02:13 PM' post='1117335']

..forget about that...
well..
cyberhand w/str enc. mods would do then..

or tossing minigun away and buying regular Heavy/Medium machine gun and modding it would be better option (IMOO)

Personally, I prefer weapons that aren't as big as all that...
Like an AA-16
Stingray
.. i prefer Assault Rifle for max. for size vice..
assault rifles,heavy/light pistols,SMG's, and machine pistols would do their work, (for shotguns, some like them, some do not..i have no opinion of them..)
if neeeded for heavier firepower, drones fitted w/ heaviest gun they can carry...
Bigity
QUOTE (Bodak @ Oct 23 2011, 11:28 PM) *

That is Jesse Ventura. You would think that since you linked IMDB you would have noticed that nyahnyah.gif
Dez384
QUOTE (Stingray @ Oct 24 2011, 07:33 AM) *
.. i prefer Assault Rifle for max. for size vice..
assault rifles,heavy/light pistols,SMG's, and machine pistols would do their work, (for shotguns, some like them, some do not..i have no opinion of them..)
if neeeded for heavier firepower, drones fitted w/ heaviest gun they can carry...

But nothing screams pink mohawk more than a minigun!
Loch
QUOTE (Dez384 @ Oct 24 2011, 09:19 AM) *
But nothing screams pink mohawk more than a minigun!

Except a minigun with an underbarrel monofilament bola launcher spin.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Kliko @ Oct 24 2011, 03:48 AM) *
A shotgun version of a minigun!

This.... For the Win...
What a Brutal Weapon Indeed. smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Loch @ Oct 24 2011, 06:26 AM) *
Except a minigun with an underbarrel monofilament bola launcher spin.gif

Or a 12-Gauge Stotgun Minigun. Now I have to talk my GM into letting me have one of these. Are you taking notes Te0dio?
Loch
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 24 2011, 09:30 AM) *
Or a 12-Gauge Stotgun Minigun. Now I have to talk my GM into letting me have one of these. Are you taking notes Te0dio?

Gatling shotgun, eh? I can dig it. A vindicator loaded with flèchettes is basically the same thing, just less direct about it.

Make sure you get full RC on that though. A heavy weapon shotgun kicks like a stable full of mules (double DOUBLE uncompensated recoil penalty...ouch).
raben-aas
QUOTE (Bigity @ Oct 24 2011, 01:58 AM) *

"Jesse Ventura is a pussy" sez F

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/297...aas-d4dsyfw.jpg
Kliko
Minigun shotguns are here!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Loch @ Oct 24 2011, 08:40 AM) *
Gatling shotgun, eh? I can dig it. A vindicator loaded with flèchettes is basically the same thing, just less direct about it.

Make sure you get full RC on that though. A heavy weapon shotgun kicks like a stable full of mules (double DOUBLE uncompensated recoil penalty...ouch).

Oops. RPGmath kicks in.

Is it 1 uncompensated recoil as -4 DP, or -3?
Yerameyahu
I don't think you get double-double at all, whether *2*2 or +1+1.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 24 2011, 09:16 AM) *
I don't think you get double-double at all, whether *2*2 or +1+1.

Also true.
Miri
Minigun Shotgun.. Streetsweeper.. eat your heart out.
Bigity
QUOTE (raben-aas @ Oct 24 2011, 07:47 AM) *

Until that guy becomes more than a weird poster, The Body wins.

Of course, Ventura is batshit insane these days so maybe the recoil scrambled his brains.
Bodak
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Oct 24 2011, 03:48 PM) *
That was Jessie Ventura, right?
That's right. Humour is a funny thing.
QUOTE (Bigity @ Oct 24 2011, 10:22 PM) *
That is Jesse Ventura.
This guy seems to understand my sense of humour (that is, if immitation is anything to go by).
Traul
QUOTE (Loch @ Oct 24 2011, 01:32 AM) *
-Gas Vent 3
-Heavy Barrel
-Hip Pad

Add an anchor in each foot and you're good to go.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Bodak @ Oct 25 2011, 07:21 AM) *
That's right. Humour is a funny thing.
This guy seems to understand my sense of humour (that is, if immitation is anything to go by).

Sorry, I'm confused - we both said the same thing, but I doubt there was imitation there. Maybe you can explain your sense of "humor" smile.gif
Seriously Mike
Guys, remind me: where are the rules for weapon mounts, tripods and other stationary mounts?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012