Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First character review
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Xahn Borealis
Hoi chummers. Me again. I've been away from Dumpshock and Shadowrun for a few months. Because ponies. Yes, THOSE ponies.

Wanyway. A friend has said she wants to get into SR, and I've been all too willing to introduce her to our twisted ways of shooting people right in the face for money. Now we've crunched up a nice little street samurai together, focussing on wetwork and B&E. Likely Pink Mohawk in flavour, since all she knows about SR comes from this.

Crunch follows:

[ Spoiler ]
phlapjack77
maybe add the Perception skill? Etiquette could also help...
Udoshi
Qualities:
I see -incredible- point inefficiency with your uses of Restricted Gear. Move by wire 2 is a very solid choice.
Buy those drugs with your starting money, before the campaign 'begins'. Better yet, buy Chemistry skill and a Chem Shop (10k is 2bp)
I see a lot of guns on the character. Ambidexterity would be a solid choice to go with your two-weapon style.

Attributes:
raise your body to 4, pick up a Chameleon Suit. This should let you wear FFBA and your invisible-suit at the same time without encumberance.
It seems like you want to cover all the bases - shooting, Conning, at least a little bit. Strongly consider going Elf. Its a break-even proposition at your current stats, and if you're not pumping your edge at start, its almost not worth going human.

Skills:
You have Athletics, so you can Gymdodge, but no Synthacardium.
Breaking and entering is one of the few skill areas which benefits a lot from Enhanced Articulation. Physical skills linked to physical attributes covers a lot of bases.
Perception is critical. Attention coprocessor cyberware is hella cheap and very good for what it does. With a decent perception, intuition, attention co processor, vision magnification, and a specialization for perception your samurai will have vision like a hawk, and nearly nothing will slip by them. Note that krav maga take aim as a free works with your cybereye vision magnification.
Cy

Might I suggest changing Blades to Clubs, as clubs covers gunbashing, pistolwhipping, and all manner of improvised weaponry? Its absolutely fantastic for a Two Weapon style user. Don't forget to put Melee Hardening on your guns, though. However, blades is for spurs.
You can't combine skillgroups with specializations at start, however, this is a really common houserule because BP creation is kinda dumb

Martial arts: Lookin great!
You may want to consider Full Offense. It may be poorly written, but it lets you defend against ranged attacks while in use.
Finishing move is also fantastic, but you usualy want the edge in IP passes on your opponents to make use of it.
Riposte is also amazing, because you're not required to riposte with a melee attack - you can do it with a squirtgun or bullet too, and may fit the theme of the elegant samurai.

Commlink: you can do better.
Analyze 6, ergonomic, optimize 3. Ditto Browse, Command, Edit, Encrypt. Maybe Scan. <-- if cash is tight, go for a Pro user suite. Almost as good, fantastic bang for buck.
Hackware: get Stealth(due to availability limits, you can either get rating 6 at start, or rating 5 + options, like ergonomic), and a rating 6 firewall. If you have an interest in hacking, or would like to assist your decker in the matrix minigame, or not be left out of it - get Exploit, Spoof, Decrypt at a bare minimum. Defuse and biofeedback filter will keep you alive.
Drop the IC, dicepool is worthless at those levels. Maybe get a Singularity Encore - they're cheap - to run your programs and do matrix searches for you.
You can start with a rating 5 commlink within the availability limits fairly easily - its about 10k in total. If you want to run programs, or give it a shot, its worth it. Keep in mind that you can plan to upgrade - a reponse 6 chip is 8k, and can be picked up fairly soon after the game starts, especailly if you have a contact to Negotiate with. Firewall isn't capped by system, and you can buy programs/system at 6, and just run/downgrade it at 5 until you get a better CPU chip.

Ware:
Dermal sheath: Bad idea. really bad. Its expensive, its obvious cyberware, and the bonus armor is affected by weapon AP. Bone Density is better, and the same price as your alphaware sheath, while being better on the essence.
Cybereyes: Why isn't there a smartlink in there? Rating 5 cybereyes are -fantastic- for what they do. Both in price, essence, as bonuses. All cyberguns have built in smartlinks, so you're missing out on bonuses.
Cyberears: The ear options aren't as good as eyes, but the Balance Augmenter is a great way to claim extra dice on gymnastics, which you want if you're planning on Gymdodging.
Regarding the character's taste for chemical warfare, cyberglands, and squirtguns: Take a look at the Chemical Gland bioware in arsenal. You can use this to make an effectively unlimited supply of some drugs, or even hook it up to other ware in order to refill it using the External Release variant. There are two things you can do to make it better: hook it up to a cybergland, so you can build up a reservoir and choose when do use it instead of it being produced all the time(i would hook that up to the various squirtguns in order to refill it). Narcojet is a good compound to choose. Secondly, Second Hand bioware is -fantastic- to put on this. It doubles your money for a very slight increase in spent essence.
Regarding cybersuirt in mouth: Not really iffy. Augmentation has options for oral weaponry already: a dartgun, a spike, and the aforementioned chemical gland can has an exhalation/breath weapon variant for breathing onto people. Cyberskulls can take cyberguns. Not that iffy really.
Cyberspurs: if you've got em, you might as well mod em. Personalized Grip is ace. If you don't necessarily need wolverine claws, Shock Hands are also fantastic.
Regarding cybertits/breast implants: Breast surgery as we think of it is actually covered by Biosculpting, which may give bonus social dice depending on your gm.( see sidebar page 62 aug). Breast implants are incredibly freaky pieces of cyberware that can actually change size on the fly, and your player may not have realized this upon reading it on first glance. If you plan on using Disguise a lot, then i suppose it makes sense. It is, however, not strictly required to pair it with the cybergland, and dropping it may save you essence)

That being said, i LIKE this character. Its really nice to see someone going for the Iconic Samurai - built in guns, nasty chemicals, claws, and a bit of everything. Do not let me discourage you, and sorry if my critique sounds a bit harsh, or is confusing because i'm not citing pages for this stuff - if you have questions about where to find this stuff, or how it works, please just ask.

One thing that really pops out to me when looking over this character - actually, not even the character, just the stats: It would be SO MUCH better in karmagen(the balanced version), just because it doesn't punish people for making a character with average stats in the 2's, 3's and 4's.
Dahrken
Personalized Grip on cyberspurs ?????
HunterHerne
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Nov 2 2011, 09:05 AM) *
Personalized Grip on cyberspurs ?????

I thought cyberweapons couldn't be modded? (Not to mention the rediculousness of personal gripping something that comes out of a joint...)
Xahn Borealis
You guys haven't changed a bit. It's good to be home.

*grabs popcorn*
Seriously Mike
Glitching on a cyber squirtgun loaded with cyanide. I'd LOVE to see that.
Xahn Borealis
The cyanide is loaded in the Breast Implants cybergland, with DMSO. Derp.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Nov 2 2011, 12:49 AM) *
Ware:
Cybereyes: Why isn't there a smartlink in there? Rating 5 cybereyes are -fantastic- for what they do. Both in price, essence, as bonuses. All cyberguns have built in smartlinks, so you're missing out on bonuses.

Just a Note... Rating 5 Cybereyes? No Such Animal... smile.gif
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 2 2011, 12:33 PM) *
Just a Note... Rating 5 Cybereyes? No Such Animal... smile.gif

Inb4 bulk modification.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 01:30 PM) *
The cyanide is loaded in the Breast Implants cybergland, with DMSO. Derp.

No. Just NO.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Nov 2 2011, 12:36 PM) *
No. Just NO.

Mike, she's new. We've all been there.
Seriously Mike
But I didn't put toxin-squirting tits on my female street-sam! I mean, c'mon, I could understand Bubbles the pink ork gunner, but toxin-squirting tits ask for a doubly sucking chest wound.
That and she doesn't have the skill to use her cyber holdout.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Nov 2 2011, 12:56 PM) *
But I didn't put toxin-squirting tits on my female street-sam! I mean, c'mon, I could understand Bubbles the pink ork gunner, but toxin-squirting tits ask for a doubly sucking chest wound.
That and she doesn't have the skill to use her cyber holdout.

She would use the holdout when it was in someone's face. And we both like the toxin-squirting tits.
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 12:44 AM) *
Hoi chummers. Me again. I've been away from Dumpshock and Shadowrun for a few months. Because ponies. Yes, THOSE ponies.

You'll be happy to note that you don't have to leave Dumpshock for that.

And yes, we did miss you. But we have time to reload.

-k
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Nov 2 2011, 01:10 PM) *

All my <3.
HunterHerne
QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Nov 2 2011, 10:10 AM) *

-k
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 10:27 AM) *

All my <3.

Damn bronies...
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 2 2011, 01:38 PM) *
Damn bronies...

I was giving love because he said I was missed. I'm leaving my pony fandom at the door here.

For now.

I may crunch up a centaur or two.... with a nanotat cutie mark....
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 05:59 AM) *
She would use the holdout when it was in someone's face. And we both like the toxin-squirting tits.

Besides, I would think that they would be more useful when they are being suckled upon. You know, as in used clandestinely. Of course, that is just me. wobble.gif
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 2 2011, 01:57 PM) *
Besides, I would think that they would be more useful when they are being suckled upon. You know, as in used clandestinely. Of course, that is just me. wobble.gif

That was sort of the point. Also, a good defence if someone tries to grope them.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 08:01 AM) *
That was sort of the point. Also, a good defence if someone tries to grope them.

Indeed. That was the first thing that I thought of. smile.gif
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 2 2011, 02:49 PM) *
Indeed. That was the first thing that I thought of. smile.gif

As soon as I showed her the description of the cyber breasts, how they could change size and shape, she had to have them. She's going through the adorable, "My character is so cool!" stage.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 09:02 AM) *
As soon as I showed her the description of the cyber breasts, how they could change size and shape, she had to have them. She's going through the adorable, "My character is so cool!" stage.

You just have to love new players. smile.gif
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 2 2011, 03:21 PM) *
You just have to love new players. smile.gif

She's already attached. I had to promise her the above situation with the boobs glitching would never happen. I'm also gonna be adding a Loyalty 6 Contact to look after her.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 09:25 AM) *
She's already attached. I had to promise her the above situation with the boobs glitching would never happen. I'm also gonna be adding a Loyalty 6 Contact to look after her.

Heh... Sounds like a lot of fun. Good Luck... smile.gif
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 2 2011, 03:34 PM) *
Heh... Sounds like a lot of fun. Good Luck... smile.gif

She should be here shortly, as soon as her account is validated. She goes by BerryPunch.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 09:52 AM) *
She should be here shortly, as soon as her account is validated. She goes by BerryPunch.

Will keep an eye out for her.
Seriously Mike
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 01:59 PM) *
She would use the holdout when it was in someone's face.

It's still 3 to 5 dice, depending if the laser sight is on or off. Cue critch causing the mechanism to jam or break. Taking some important mechanisms of the cyberarm with it.
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Nov 2 2011, 04:52 PM) *
It's still 3 to 5 dice, depending if the laser sight is on or off. Cue critch causing the mechanism to jam or break. Taking some important mechanisms of the cyberarm with it.

If I was GMing, I wouldn't call for a Pistols roll in that situation, firing point blank. That's just my preference. Some sort of Opposed Roll to position the gun port, but I wouldn't call for Pistols.
Udoshi
QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 2 2011, 05:14 AM) *
I thought cyberweapons couldn't be modded? (Not to mention the rediculousness of personal gripping something that comes out of a joint...)

Accessories are not mods.

Arsenal even points out you can use both on a single gun. And besides, it makes sense that piece of cyberware would be tailored for its recipient. In fact, they already are, personalized grip just expands on it.

And yes, i did mean rating 4 cybereyes. I was thinking of how much essence the took, whoops.

Since you're using Longarms already, I would also suggest grabbing an AA-16 with starting money, and putting an auto-adjusting weight(mod) on it. An Additional Clip takes the last two mod slots. For accessories, a Top-mount Smartlink. Pick up some armor piercing flechettes from War!, and stick either slugs or stick and shocks in the other clip. The end result is a really versatile weapon that has good range(no really, non-flechette ammo goes pretty far), great damage(9p ap-1), and can long burst without penalty.
There are also some shotgun pistols that exist, and may be worth looking into. If your Gm allowes it, the Altmyr SP(from the german extra content) should do just nicely. May save you from having to buy multiple skills.
Dahrken
The description of Personalized Grip in Arsenal says :
"Available for all kinds of ranged and melee weapons that include a handle or grip". Implanted blades (and guns) have no grip or handle.
Xahn Borealis
Just so you know, the goal of the character, in terms of concept, is a sexy female Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: Human Revolution. That's why the cyberarms and blades. Everything else was just thrown in for fun. The ToxinTits, the Barret, the Mirage, all that.
Warlordtheft
IMHO or .02 Nuyen: She needs a point in perception and a point in either thrown weapons or a few in pistols. She needs something less obvious for ranged when she is out to meet the Johnson. Of course if it is full blown pink mohawk, you may not need to bother.

Udoshi
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Nov 2 2011, 11:54 AM) *
Implanted blades (and guns) have no grip or handle.

And how do you propose they are attached to the character, if they don't have any sort of grip or handle?
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Nov 2 2011, 07:20 PM) *
IMHO or .02 Nuyen: She needs a point in perception and a point in either thrown weapons or a few in pistols. She needs something less obvious for ranged when she is out to meet the Johnson. Of course if it is full blown pink mohawk, you may not need to bother.

This. I'mma need a few more points from somewhere for Perception and a Loyalty 6 Contact, which I count as 20 BP I need to pull out of somewhere. I'm thinking dropping the Magic Resistance? I've promised her a mage friend who will try and Heal her as much as possible, and MR blocks voluntary spells.

And I'm not adding Personalised Grip to the Cyberspurs.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Nov 2 2011, 01:21 PM) *
And how do you propose they are attached to the character, if they don't have any sort of grip or handle?

Simple, they have a MOUNTING point, which are neither a grip, nor a handle. Grips and Handles are for things used IN HANDS...wobble.gif
Dahrken
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Nov 2 2011, 08:21 PM) *

A grip or a handle is to hold something, and customized grip allow the item to better fit you hand(s) so you have a better control.

Cyberspurs or cyberguns are either implanted inside a meat part of the body and anchored to the bone structure or built into the structure of a cyberlimb, with some kind of telescoping mount for retractable weapons like spurs. They have no grip or handle because they are not hand-held items to begin with.
Dahrken
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Nov 2 2011, 08:21 PM) *

A grip or a handle is to hold something, and customized grip allow the item to better fit you hand(s) so you have a better control. Cyberspurs or cyberguns are either implanted inside a meat part of the body and anchored to the bone structure or built into the structure of a cyberlimb, with some kind of telescoping mount for retractable weapons like spurs. They have no grip or handle because they are not hand-held items to begin with.

Would you allow the use of Personalized Grip on a turreted weapon ?
Udoshi
QUOTE (Dahrken @ Nov 2 2011, 12:59 PM) *
Would you allow the use of Personalized Grip on a turreted weapon ?

Bad example. Turret+manual controls = controls to hold onto
Yerameyahu
Yeah, the idea of P-Grip on an implant is just incredibly beyond cheese.

Even for a manual mounted weapon, it seems silly that the P-Grip would appreciably influence the RC (which is the only thing P-Grip does on ranged weapons). This is aside from it being a bad idea to *personalize* a weapon that almost by definition is used by whoever's available to man it. I guess I'd allow it, just because it's not totally insane, and who even needs RC on a mounted gun anyway?
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 2 2011, 08:38 PM) *
Yeah, the idea of P-Grip on an implant is just incredibly beyond cheese.

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 07:25 PM) *
I'm not adding Personalised Grip to the Cyberspurs.

Have we got that?
Warlordtheft
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 03:25 PM) *
This. I'mma need a few more points from somewhere for Perception and a Loyalty 6 Contact, which I count as 20 BP I need to pull out of somewhere. I'm thinking dropping the Magic Resistance? I've promised her a mage friend who will try and Heal her as much as possible, and MR blocks voluntary spells.

And I'm not adding Personalised Grip to the Cyberspurs.

Probably could break the athletics group apart and put lower skills (like a 1) in the less useful skills. Also, drop magic resistance as you thought. I agree it is a double edged sword...
Yerameyahu
I know, Xahn. smile.gif Udoshi's the one.
BerryPunch
Oh look it's my character! biggrin.gif
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (BerryPunch @ Nov 2 2011, 09:30 PM) *
Oh look it's my character! biggrin.gif

Hoi chummer. How's biz?
BerryPunch
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 04:36 PM) *
Hoi chummer. How's biz?

Who be dissing my awesome cyanide tits?!
Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (BerryPunch @ Nov 2 2011, 09:42 PM) *
Who be dissing my awesome cyanide tits?!

Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Berry Punch. Yes, THAT Berry Punch.
BerryPunch
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Nov 2 2011, 04:45 PM) *
Ladies and gentlemen, Miss Berry Punch. Yes, THAT Berry Punch.

Thank you, thank you. -bows-
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Welcome to the Insanity, Berry Punch... smile.gif
whatevs
The only thing better than two implanted cyanide tits is... Wait for it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012