Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: The Sun Never Sets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
AtroposReborn
"The best I can offer is a demonstration of my archery. I am quite the shot, or so I'd like to think." He pulls his camera from out of his backpack. "Unless they want to look through some old pictures."
phlapjack77
Smohalla smiles at this.

Maybe they would.

We can try our distractions to give Stogie the chance he needs.

Overall, I think we should stay close to the Sisters.

Only by being near them will we ultimately find our answers.

He pauses for a moment, thoughtfully.

Who knows, perhaps our goals and theirs align more closely than we realize.
pbangarth
"Alright, then, boys, the dessert looks ready now. If someone could ask the ladies back into the salon, we can all have a taste." Stogie opens his perception to the astral. In the past, this has been a sure-fire way to tell what people really think about his cooking. He keeps that eager thought in his mind, hoping it will mask the other curiosity.
Tecumseh
The plan is in motion. Stogie shifts his sight and is almost blinded before his senses can adapt. The dark night drops away and is replaced by a vibrant scene so full of life that it's like the world is on fire. He turns to Smohalla and is greeted by the shifter's true form. Stogie wonders for a moment how anyone can walk around a world this bright all the time. Maybe Smohalla has the advantage of flying above it all, limiting the overload to the bright sea of life below.

The Sisters return after they've been gone about half an hour. They walk lightly and seem almost to float along, even the ork and the troll. It's immediately obvious that the're not entirely in the present. They each have a far-away look in their eyes, as if they're seeing or contemplating something far removed from the cozy but modest campsite.

Stogie steals a glance at them and quickly notices that none of them are perceiving on the astral. For the moment, he can freely assense them with no social ramifications. He scans the surrounding forest quickly, looking for signs of K'wa'iti, but there's no trace of the wolf.

They return to their places around the fire, their eyes never seeming to focus on the group, nor any of the myriad rocks or branches that they could potentially trip over. They all seems to share a thousand-yard stare. Ellesar, no stranger to stimulants, can't help but wonder for a moment if they're stoned. The women don't say anything, nor do they give any acknowledgement of the group.
phlapjack77
Smohalla speaks up, trying to draw attention to himself.

He stands and places himself in front of the fire.

Stogie has created an excellent dessert for us to share.

While we eat, I will tell you a story.

I will tell you the story of my people.

As Smohalla is speaking, he is walking and turning around the fire.

He gives a raised, questioning eyebrow to Stogie.
pbangarth
Wondering if anyone has ever developed astral sunglasses, Stogie slowly adapts to the powerful glow from Gaia. If the Sisters stay steeped in this, no wonder they reject the darkness of city construction. He checks the link between him and Jake. Just his luck, Jake happens to be relieving himself in the bushes right now. But the link is strong.

No Wolf. Oh well. He serves the people gathered around the fire, handing bowls of cooked fruit to each, smiling and encouraging them to eat. With each bowl handed to the 'stoned' ladies, he studies their aura deeply, paying particular attention to Ellie. She is strong in Magic, and may very well have developed the ability to hide her true nature.
AtroposReborn
Ellesar sits silently, eating the dessert handed to him. He doesn't want to ruin the story being told by Smohalla and is content with watching the sisters for now. If they are on stimulants then they could be irritable, which may be a problem. However, it would help having their senses dulled.
Tecumseh
Stogie figures that this is his chance. He turns his gaze to the Sisters.
[ Spoiler ]

After a long minute, Stogie's vision returns to the physical plane. He blinks hard, his eyes watering a bit, as his mind readjusts to the night air, the wood smoke, and Smohalla's story in progress.
pbangarth
Stogie takes a moment to reintegrate into the physical world. He calls Jake over to him and ploosters him mightily, scratching both behind the ears and then the chest. With the slightest of nods, and a mental hint, he directs Jake over to Ellie. Jake sidles over, tail wagging, and sits right beside her. He leans into her, expecting the same treatment.

Stogie looks around the assembly as Smohalla speaks, a gentle smile on his lips, and nods as he looks at each ally. His gaze lingers a long while on the mountain that looms over them...then the women, then the mountain again. He cups the bowl of fruit on his chest and leans back to hear the rest of the story.
phlapjack77
All was One in the beginning.

The Earth, Sun, and Moon had no face. The spirits of the Air, the spirits of the Sea, the spirits of the Fire had no face. The trees, the beasts, they had no face. All were One in the endless ocean of molten stone.

Then the Great Spirit merged with this ocean, and in doing so split into a chaos of fiery drops whose number could not be counted. For seven days and nights the drops scattered. Some continue to scatter even today - these are the stars, the tiny points of fiery stone that light the sky in the darkness of night, a constant reminder of the chaos that gave birth to all.

After seven days and nights had passed, the hottest of the drops joined together to form the Sun, brother of the Earth. These drops never cooled, so the Sun burns still in the sky, a reminder of the featureless molten expanse of the great ocean from which all emerged.

The first drops to cool formed the Moon, sister to the Earth. The Moon still burns itself out in the sky every day - glowing bright only to fade into blackness. In this way, the Moon teaches that all light burns out eventually, but may be born again.

Next, the Earth herself was formed. As her skin cooled, molten stone inside her pushed itself out and became the spirits of the Air, the spirits of the Sea, and the spirits of the Fire. As they pushed their way out, these spirits caused the Earth's skin to bend and stretch, forming the mountains and valleys. Her blood became the rivers and lakes and oceans. Her voice is the wind, if only you listen closely enough.

Lonely as the eons passed, the Earth began longing for her siblings. In her yearning, she stretched toward the Moon and the trees emerged from her body. Still, her yearning to reach the fiery stars continued to burn within her, and animals began to appear from her womb. As her desire reached its peak, the sentient races were born.

Now, these races were at first crude and rough, mere golems of clay and mud and stone. They were young and scared, being born into the world without knowledge or purpose. The spirits already on the Earth had begun to take on personalities, becoming Brother Fox, Brother Wolf, Grandmother Spider, and more. These spirits saw the new creatures and took it upon themselves to remake them in their image. All of humanity was formed and guided by the spirits of Mother Earth, becoming the different tribes, the different races, the different peoples.

Over the ages the different peoples were guided by the spirits, they were tricked, they were saved, were humbled, were raised up. As the magic of the ages waxed and waned, the people's devotion wavered according to the time. In the Fifth Age, the age previous to this one, the people's devotion to the spirits, to the Great Spirit, had declined to the point of despair. Almost no one remembered their history, remembered their power, their wisdom. To most people of the Fifth Age, the spirits were mere legends, stories to scare young children.

But some people, some people still remembered. Some people still kept the old ways and remembered the history. These people lived in the world but were not of the world. They kept to themselves, they rejected so-called modern living, they still revered the Great Spirit and kept alive the stories. These people had many names, many races, many tribes. But they were one in their belief in something greater than themselves, in something greater than technology.

These people saw the horror that was the modern world. They saw the devastation that was wrought on Mother Earth, the atrocities committed against her, how their brother and sister animals were wiped out in the name of progress. They vowed to find places for themselves where they could live in peace and in accordance with their beliefs, their stories.

Far and wide they spread, as far and wide as seed pods caught in a gentle wind. And like a seed pod floating on a current of air, each people, each tribe, found a place where they could settle and live, growing according to their beliefs and their stories, keeping the old ways, waiting for the days when magic would return.

One of those tribes settled in Salish-Shidhe, in the Cascade Mountains area near a mountain known then as Seekseekqua. They called themselves Ni Mii Puu in their tongue, but in this language are called the Shahptian Wanapum. These people revered the old ways and had many great spiritual leaders to guide them. When the Sixth Age arrived, other tribes that had forgotten the old ways were not ready. But this tribe, the Shahptian Wanapum, they remembered. This is my family, these are my true blood. As one we remember the old ways as we honor the Great Spirit and Mother Earth.

And so my people came to live in harmony during the Sixth Age.

Smohalla concludes his story and sits down.

He has noticed Stogie's relaxed look and is himself somewhat reassured.

Smohalla makes a hand motion to Ellesar to indicate the metaphorical ball is now his.
Tecumseh
As Smohalla begins to speak, the women produce small, hand-held instruments. Ellie has a handsome flute made out of cedar. The ork has rattles, one made out of sea shells and the other from a rattlesnake rattle. The troll holds a large hollowed-out log with a rawhide elk skin stretched over the opening.

They begin to play, the ork and the troll producing low, guttural chants as Smohalla continues to speak. They're rather loud, actually, to the point where Smohalla has to raise his voice to make himself heard. The effect is dramatic though. The fire brightens with every exhale of the flute, and it flicks up higher and higher with each drum beat. The rattles seem to make the flames weave in a circle, creating a fire whirl that reaches high above the group.

The effect is enchanting, but the downside is that Smohalla's story is completely drowned out. The music stops just as he finishes. Ellie holds out her hand to bid him to stay.

"Sky-Father, my sincerest apologies. I fear that we missed the crux of your story of how your people came to live in harmony during the Sixth World. It seems like a tale full of wisdom, one that would be foolish to miss. Would you be so kind as to tell it again? We will let you do so unaccompanied this time. Please." She smiles apologetically.
pbangarth
Stogie chimes in before the story can restart. "Ellie, I don't see your Wolf friend here. He doesn't seem to be playing any part in events." * a subtle glance towards the men* "Does he not like such festivities."
Tecumseh
Ellie waves her hand airily, not terribly concerned by the matter. "He comes and goes as he pleases. He may be gone for the night to nurse his temper, but I suspect he will turn up for breakfast. As the expression goes, 'The fastest way to a man's heart is through his stomach'!" She sighs with an old memory, her eyes far-away again.
AtroposReborn
"All too true." Ellesar agrees. "A good meal can change the tune of most men. Speaking of tunes, where did you learn to play?" He motions at the instruments.
Tecumseh
"Task spirits."
phlapjack77
Smohalla lowers his head at Ellie's request.

I enjoyed your music very much - there is no need to apologize.

But please excuse me, I am tired now.

My voice is not used to such frequent use anymore.

Perhaps tomorrow will present a good opportunity for me to retell my story.

Tecumseh
Ellie stands and yawns. "We should all rest. The magic exhausts us even as it refuels us. You gentlemen will have the fire tonight. The ladies and I will sleep separately. Mustn't have a scandal, mixing the young men and women!" She titters at her joke. Hester and Selene look on passively, their eyes heavy.

She pats Stogie on the knee as she walks by. "Thank you for dessert, Stogie. It was a good effort."

"Please," Ellie says, "make yourselves at home. We will see you in the morning for breakfast. Say, sunrise? Sleep well, my friends." With that, she shuffles off into the darkness, the length of her dress masking her footsteps. Hester and Selene follow her ponderously, their steps heavy with fatigue. The camp is yours once again.
pbangarth
Stogie waits for the Sisters to take their leave. "Good effort, huh? Oh, well."

He stretches his legs out, warming the soles of his feet close to the fire. Jake curls up under the arch of his legs. "Like I tried to suggest with my earlier comment, I don't think the wolf has any direct control over the women. I didn't see any evidence of his influence in their aura. And I got a helluva good look, let me tell you. What I did see is that this place is a powerful source of magical energy.

"There is a mana line here, and it runs right up to the mountain, which is itself a strong power site. What I did see is that the mana collecting here is pumping up the Sisters' power in this place, and they seem to be getting almost drunk on the power. It's like they are losing touch with the physical world, and wandering off into the astral. I don't know what the chummer in the tower was doing, but if he was poking at the mountain, he was toying with their fuse box. As far as their motivation, I can't see much difference in them from me or you boys. Maybe they've stepped over the line lately, but I can't say they are Twisted or Toxic. I think they just have skirted the edge of a slippery slope. Honestly, I think it is possible to bring them back from that brink, though I don't know for sure how. Maybe somebody they respect can work that angle." He glances at Smohalla.

"I do believe that the more they act in a way that has deadly consequences, the more likely they will find it proper to do so. Maybe if they could somehow be brought to understand what it feels like to be on the receiving end of their devotion, they would become more balanced again. But we're dealing with devoted and determined women here, who are prepared to risk all for their cause."
phlapjack77
I agree with your conclusions.

Perhaps we should stay with them awhile.

We could help with their plans, steer them towards a more reasonable result.

Smohalla pauses for a second, his eyes lighting up.

And I would like more time to study this mana line.
AtroposReborn
"Yes, I like your way of thinking. If we stay and help these sisters we may be able to lead them back towards a more socially acceptable path. It will give us time to study both their connection with this mana line and the wolfman." He looks towards the mountain. "While we're at it perhaps we can find some way to sever their ties with the vast amount of power here. It may help them come to their senses."
phlapjack77
I would also like to work to lessen Brother Wolf's influence.

He does not seem to have accepted his new-found metahumanity, but rather struggles against it.

It is a common problem among our kind.
Tecumseh
The night stretches on. There are woodland sounds in the trees around you as the nocturnal critters come to life. The fire doesn't show any evidence of dying down. It seems to be fueled by the mana of the area, its golden halo pushing back the darkness. It's kicking off enough heat to ward away the chilly night, although it might be a little bright for optimal sleeping.

It's not long before the aches set in. You've walked over twenty kilometers today, including a very intense interlude with Toothy, and now you can feel the effects. The adrenaline from the encounter has left you, allowing the soreness in your muscles to bloom. Your feet throb. Dinner and dessert tasted good but now they're putting you to sleep. It's time to figure out a plan for the night.
pbangarth
"Well, it's time to decide who takes what watch. As much as I would like to think the Sisters have this place covered, I don't think the rest of the fauna here have the same idea." Stogie thinks for a minute. "Here's an idea! I can take some time to massage the kinks out of you guys, but I can't do it for myself. And I can make do with just a few hours sleep, so if you want, I can take over in the middle of the night, say in about four hours, and have some coffee started when you wake."
phlapjack77
Thank you Stogie.

I will keep watch for a while.

In my old age, I don't need as much sleep as I used to.

You and Ellesar should get some sleep.

I will wake Ellesar after some time.
AtroposReborn
"Sounds good. I could use some sleep. All this good food is making my eyes heavy." He unrolls his sleeping bag and slides inside without a second thought.
pbangarth
Stogie stretches out by the fire and calls Jake to him. Jake curls up in the crook of Stogie's knees... then jumps up, runs to the bushes, relieves himself, and returns to curl up once more. Within seconds both are snoring.
phlapjack77
Smohalla steps to the trees, his image blurring and shifting until his clothes drop from the eagle now present.

The eagle flies to a nearby pine that has a good view of the campsite and alights on a branch.

Throughout the night sharp eyes keep watch on those sleeping below.
Tecumseh
It should come as no surprise that the eagle's eyes are sharp as monowhips. One could hardly ask for a better watchman. He keeps guard over his friends sleeping peacefully below.

[ Spoiler ]

phlapjack77
Smohalla's left wing dips as his right wing rises, bringing him in a wide circle around the fire.

His slow, spiralling flight gives him a good view of where everyone is relative to the intruder.

He especially keeps his eye out for Jake.

The descent ends with him landing at the edge of the campsite, in full view of the bear.

The eagle spreads his wings out to the full 2.3 meters of wingspan and hisses.
pbangarth
Jake jerks awake at the sound of Smohalla's hiss, and shakes himself when he notices the smell of the bear. Somewhere in the depths of canine intelligence, a murky thought almost forms, "Gettin' old." He pokes Stogie with his nose, till Stogie swoons awake. Jake slithers over to the other side of the fire and watches the story unfold.
Tecumseh
Ellesar dreams about his friend from the Elven Peace Force that he hasn't seen in a while. Jake dreams about this great dog agility competition course that Stogie designed for him once. Stogie dreams, his leg twitching occasionally, about added recoil compensation for his shotgun.

[ Spoiler ]
phlapjack77
The posturing was effective, the intruder warned off.

Wings spread to intimidate now beat the air as the eagle takes off.

Once more he settles on a tree branch overlooking the campsite.
Tecumseh
Smohalla eyes the forest, cautious of any potential threats. He watches Ellesar sleep, the elf's aura swirling with dreams.

Stogie blinks hard, confused by his surroundings. He's been woken up out of his deep sleep cycle and is feeling disoriented as a result. He's had about two hours of sleep but really needs a third before he's going to feel fully rested.
pbangarth
Jake comes back to Stogie's side and settles in once more, ears perked up. Stogie tries to read Jake's senses, and gets the faintest of images of a bear with wings. Shit, boy, can you keep your dreams to yourself? He rolls over and shifts a bit closer to the fire. Soon he is snoring.
phlapjack77
Smohalla lets the excitement of the moment slowly leave his system over the course of the next hour.

As his heartbeat returns to normal, he feels the effects of the day wear on his alertness.

He descends from the tree and assumes human form again.

Ellesar is awakened with a gentle shake of the shoulder.

It is your turn for watch.

Be aware, there was a bear prowling nearby.

With this, Smohalla lays down by the fire and lets sleep claim him.
AtroposReborn
Upon feeling the hand on his shoulder Ellesar grabs for the hatchet by his side. His body begins to catch up with his mind as he realizes it's just Smohalla. He eases up, slipping the hatchet into a notch on his suit. "Good morning to you brother. Or perhaps I should say good night. Go rest and let me worry about the bears."

The elf takes his post up against a nearby tree close to the coast of the water. From a strap on the side of his pack he pulls his bow and begins to restring it. He watches over the campsight, listening closely to the sounds of the night.
Tecumseh
Ellesar leans against his tree, eyeing the clearing. He slows his breathing to listen to the forest - not that he's been taught to do that, but it just seems like the logical thing to do.

[ Spoiler ]

AtroposReborn
Notching an arrow to his bow Ellesar begins to back away from the tree. He moves to the right, attempting to peer around the tree. This had better not be another troll....
Tecumseh
Ellesar peeks around the tree and sees...

[ Spoiler ]
AtroposReborn
Ellesar keeps the arrow held fast in its location with his left hand. With the other he squats down and picks up a small stone. Without taking his eyes off the trees he tosses the stone in the direction that he heard the noises.
Tecumseh
Ellesar has a pretty good arm. He whips the stone into the darkness, barely managing to avoid hitting his hand on the tree trunk during his follow-through. He feels pretty clever about his stone-throwing idea as he hears it break through some leaves and small branches en route to its destination. There's a light *thump* as it connects to its target, followed by the annoyed growl of a large animal.

He can't be sure, but it sounds like the bear never really left. He glances around behind him at the campsite. He sees the remains of Stogie's dessert, which might appeal to the bear's less-discerning palate. There's also his own pack, which contains some rations that the bear might like. Ellesar's a good runner and figures he could outrun Stogie if it came down to it. That's a relief.
phlapjack77
Smohalla sleeps, dreams

Soaring high above, searching...

Fallen leaves below
AtroposReborn
Ellesar begins to back away slowly, recalling his basic survival training. He fingers the shaft of the arrow, keeping it straight against the bow. The barbed head gleams in the light of the campfire. He calls out to the darkness, his voice calm and smooth. "I know you are there. If you can understand me then come on out. I mean you no harm."

The adrenaline claws at his nerves.
Tecumseh
There's a grunt in the forest and the sound of leaves rustling. From the sound of things, it (whatever it is) is moving away. After a minute of movement trailing off, there's no sound to be heard.

Only another hour to go before it's Stogie's watch!
AtroposReborn
Ellesar allows himself to relax as he hears the noises trail off. He remains where he is, keeping his eyes towards the trees.
Tecumseh
Ellesar kneels near his friends, his bow ready as he scans the darkness surrounding the circle of light. His only company is the owl perched on a tree branch above the clearing. It watches his movements attentively, never stirring or pursuing any prey.

The minutes tick by. Ellesar paces the edge of the clearing, looking out into the darkness. He hears the nighttime sounds of the forest but no sounds of movement to indicate that anything is approaching the campsite. The temperature continues to drop, Ellesar's breath crystallizing into a fog whenever he gets too far away from the fire. His hands start to go a little numb, exposed from holding the bow.

He reaches the end of his shift. He feels fatigued, both from the previous day plus the stress of warding off animals in the night.
AtroposReborn
His eyes weary, Ellesar makes his way back to the others. The fire warms his skin as he nears it, causing his fingers to ache as the feeling returns to them.

Upon reaching Stogie he nudges him awake gently. "It is time to be up, friend. Hopefully you have rested wel...." A yawn breaks his speech. "Ah, excuse me. There was an unknown creature that approached earlier and it had me on my toes for some time. Must have worked up more adrenaline than I thought. Well I'm off to sleep. Hopefully the owl over there will keep you company throughout your watch as well." With that the elf lays down and promptly falls asleep.
Tecumseh
Stogie wakes easily, his adept abilities granting him wakefulness and a clear head after only three hours of sleep and one strange dream. He's greeted by the cold night air as he sits up, although the fire helps ward some of that away. The flames don't seem to be any dimmer or any cooler from when he went to sleep.

The owl flies off, gliding into the night.
pbangarth
The rest Stogie had snatched in a few hours is more than enough. With a mighty stretch he rises from his place by the fire, pulls his jacket closer around him, and walks the perimeter of their little camp.

Jake raises his head to watch Stogie, but drops down again when his master takes a seat near the fire. Stogie watch. Safe.
Tecumseh
Stogie, having finished circling the clearing, takes a seat next to the fire. He picks the log where the ork had been sitting, which is close enough to the fire to be comfortable but not so close that the fire blinds him of anything happening on the other side.

He flicks his sight to the astral for a moment, but that's not productive. The forest is so alarmingly bright with life that the entire thing might as well be on fire. He switches back to his human vision, which, however limited, at least allows for a better contrast between safe, stationary things - like trees - and unfixed, lethal things that go bump in the night.

Stogie's currently enjoying that mental alertness that often accompanies someone for the first few hours after a good sleep. He's feeling sharp and easily picks out the details of the surrounding scene. Nothing seems out of place, so he closes his eyes and focuses on the sounds of the forest instead. There's a wind that moves the tree tops high above, but the camp is sheltered enough not to feel it too acutely.

Ten minutes pass and Stogie's starting to wonder how he's going to pass the time when he hears a branch snap. It's probably fifty meters out, well beyond the wall of plants and trees that block his view. He listens again and hears another crunch, sounding like dry leaves and needles grinding together underfoot. He pauses, wondering if he can smell the newcomer - his enhanced abilities are good enough to try. Inhaling deeply, he feels the brisk rush of the cool forest air fill his head. However, whatever's out there is downwind and Stogie can't smell it. Of course, being downwind might suggest that whatever it is might be tracking your scent upwind, but that would only make sense if you were in a wilderness area surrounded by potential predators.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012