Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: IC: The Sun Never Sets
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
pbangarth
Stogie rubs his hands together and digs quickly through his backpack. He pulls out a small metal cup. "I haven't had caffe in years! I wish I had the right kind of cup. This metal thing will cool the coffee too quickly. Maybe I'll just heat it by the fire a bit." Stogie places the cup near the fire. Then he digs out a bag of kibble for Jake. In a metal bowl he places some down for Jake, who greedily attacks the food and consumes it quickly, keeping an eye on the walking rock pile, as if it might try to take his food.

"Well, boys, it looks like the ladies' spirits possess things rather than materialize. Makes sense. Three women out in the woods. What do you call that magical tradition? Hedge witchcraft? Almost like we're in a story by Shakespeare."

Stogie watches with obvious pleasure as the spirit-pot brews some strong, thick, foamy coffee, and then mixes it with a little sugar in a secondary pot. Stogie grabs his cup, "Good! Warm, but it won't burn me." and pours himself a couple of ounces of the coffee. "Take care, boys, this stuff will be strong!"

He gingerly sips some of the brew. "Ahhhhh....."
phlapjack77
Good morning Stogie.

Please have some goat if you would like, there is plenty.

Of course you can have some Jake.

Good morning Ellie.

Thank you for the advice.

Would you allow me to observe your morning ritual?

I would consider it a great honor.
Tecumseh
Ellie clasps her hands and looks pleased at the idea. "Oh, why, Sky-Father, yes! In fact, we would be honored if you could lead us in the ritual. You should find the ritual similar to your own. I daresay that you could teach us a thing or two about mana. I would wager that Talol will teach you something in return."
pbangarth
Stogie puts his feet up on a rock by the fire. "Jake and I'll keep the fire stoked while you kids go off to play. Ellesar, pull up a stump and have some of this coffee. It's good."
AtroposReborn
Ellesar joins the others in time to see them gathered around the fire. I wonder what this is about. Perhaps I should have stayed at the lake. He pulls up a stump beside Stogie, inhaling a good whiff from the steaming cup. "Ah, sadly I must decline your offer. I have not indulged in coffee since a very unfortunate camping incident. But this is not the time for such a tale. What is this I here of rituals?"
phlapjack77
I am the one who is honored, Ellie.

Please lead the way.

Smohalla stands and faces his friends.

He shoots a glance at Stogie and Ellesar full of raised eyebrows and wide eyes.

Turning, he makes to follow the trio.

Tecumseh
Ellie takes Smohalla's hand comfortingly and slowly leads him forward. "Come with me, Sky-Father. The odds of you triggering an eruption are minimal. Probably."

[ Spoiler ]

"Up we go!" says Ellie, rising easily. "Who wants pancakes?"
phlapjack77
Smohalla is speechless, and says not a word the entire way back to camp.

He gives Ellesar and Stogie and Jake brief nods as he sits near the campfire.

Deep in thought, he shakes his head in the negative when offered breakfast.

Reflection is important after moments such as he just had.

Like dreams, unless you tighten your grip they slip through your fingers.
pbangarth
Stogie takes note of Smohalla's aura. Colours are in there he hasn't seen before. Gonna have to ask him about that, later.
phlapjack77
The experience on the mountain side has had a profound impact on Smohalla.

The astral and the physical - two sides of the same coin.

He has taken his first step into a larger world.
Tecumseh
Ellie flits around camp, baking breakfast and generally being a domestic little bee. She spins a heavy cast iron pan in her hand easily, humming to herself as she turns flour, sugar, and eggs into expert flapjacks. She eyes Smohalla's goat, her mind churning with possibilities. It reminds her of something which she almost forgot. She sticks her head and short body most of the way into a sack before emerging with a string of sausages.

"Wild hog!" she announces proudly. "Made them myself. The ladies bagged the beast."

For the first time, Hester and Selene light up. They kind of picked at their pancakes but they're fully attentive now that the sausages have come out. Ellie tosses them in the pan and gets to work. While they sizzle over the fire, she putters around, making sure everyone's coffee mug is filled to a satisfactory level. She pays special attention to Jake, making sure he gets plenty of love. You catch her "accidentally" messing up a flip of the pan, letting a hapless sausage cartwheel through the air to Jake's waiting maw below.

"What are your boys' plans for the day?" she asks after everyone has been served. She turns and looks to Ellesar. "Hunting? Trapping? What's your agenda?"
AtroposReborn
Ellesar waits until he has finished chewing a small chunk of sausage before he answers. "I was considering a quick dip in the lake if it's not too cold. It has been some time since I washed my feet."
phlapjack77
I would like to meditate on what I have learned.

The spirit of the mountain is powerful.

Perhaps I will try to talk to it.
Tecumseh
Ellie laughs merrily at the thought of swimming in the lake before she stops abruptly, considering herself rude. "Well, I suppose it all depends on your definition of too cold. I can assure you that it will be cold, and I wouldn't endorse a long swim, but a quick dip won't finish you off.

"In fact..." she trails off as an idea comes to her. She wiggles her fingers at one of the various sacks around camp. A small black-and-white box flies out and into her hand. She tosses it to Ellesar, who catches it an inspects the box. It appears to be a premium brand of soap, unscented and made out of soy milk for sensitive skin.

"Wonderful soap," she says. "I use it myself. Very gentle. Hester and Selene can't stop raving about it." You're not entirely sure if she's serious about the last point. You're also uncertain if this is a considerate gift or a subtle rebuke.

Ellie smiles encouragingly and stands. "I feel like it's going to be a good day!" she announces with a pronounced inhale, fists on her hips. "Usually the morning ritual really saps me and I have to take a mid-morning nap! Well I daresay that Sky-Father took the brunt of it this morning. I think the girls and I will take advantage of the good weather and will venture out for the day. You boys can take care of yourselves for lunch, yes? We'll be back in time for dinner. That fire should stay burning on its own. You'll need it, young man, should you take the plunge." She nods at the lake.

She pats Smohalla's hand as she leaves the circle. "By all means, Sky-Father, speak with Talol. Just be warned, Talol doesn't always speak back." She raises her eyebrows mischievously, casting a private wink as she turns to go.
phlapjack77
After the women depart, Smohalla turns to his companions.

I would like to stay here for several days.

We can learn many things about the Sisters.

Their intentions, their motivations, their spirit.

The time here would be well spent.

Other mysteries can be studied as well.

How do you feel about this?
pbangarth
Stogie thinks about this a minute. "We have to figure out the truth of the matter. Here is at least as good as anywhere else."
Tecumseh
The sun slowly warms the mountain air as it rises higher in the sky. A water spirit pops up next to the troll after breakfast. It seizes the dirty dishes roughly and scrubs them vigorously, taking its job a little too seriously. After the chores are done, the sloshing waterman disappears and is replaced by a mid-sized earth spirit. Ellie waves goodbye as the earth spirit enfolds the women in its power and whisks them away at high speed. They disappear into the hills beyond.

Left to yourselves, the party breaks up. Smohalla launches himself into the air, looking for a perch in a tree or on a rock from which to survey the scene and contemplate the mysteries of the mountain while recovering from the morning's exertions.

Jake lets Stogie know that he's got energy to burn and would like to take a long walk, preferably one where he could chase some small animals.

Ellesar can stay or go as he chooses. He could have some privacy if he wanted to take a swim, or he could wait for the others to return if he didn't want to risk drowning in six inches of water after his muscles locked up from the cold water. At least the fire is nearby and producing a steady halo of heat.
phlapjack77
The morning sun slowly crawled up the dome of the sky.

Day passed from early to mid, mid to late, until finally surrendering to deep, dark Night.

High in the treetops Smohalla was yet unaware of these developments.

Talons clenched impossibly tightly around a tree branch, his physical body swayed as from some unseen breeze.

He was nearby his friends, and yet far, far away.

Riding the aether, his astral wings bore him on a journey as never before.

His descent of the seventy steps to the cavern of flame was only the beginning of his tale.
pbangarth
Stogie hunts around in his pack and the various hidey holes around the camp from which Ellie drew breakfast materials. He wraps up a nourishing selection of fruits and nuts. "I'm packing a traveling lunch for me and Jake. I'd like to follow the ley line up towards the mountain for a while. See what I can figure out about the energies flowing down here.

"I'll turn back in time to make it back for dinner." He whistles for Jake who leaps ahead into the forest. Appropriate whistles and nods, and Jake heads up along the line of magic. Stogie follows, senses open to the astral.
AtroposReborn
Ellesar leaves shortly after Stogie and Jake, heading back to the lake. He washes his hands and face in it, wondering if the frigid water is affected by the magic surrounding the mountain. He spends the day there, looking around for anything of interest, including animal tracks, equipment left by the sisters, or anything that doesn't quite fit the surroundings.
Tecumseh
Ellesar finds himself alone, the others having left for their various pursuits. He pokes around the campsite a bit and begins to wonder if Ellie isn't secretly running a bed-and-breakfast up here. In addition to the soap he was given earlier, he finds a large, pink bath towel. While the color might put off a lesser man, Ellesar's secure enough to realize that nobody's watching.

Grabbing his rifle, he sets off to walk around the lake to explore and look for tracks. He finds an abundance of them, the lake apparently being a popular watering hole for the wildlife of the area. He finds tracks for bears, mountain lions, and deer, among others. The magic of the area doesn't seem to scare them away. If anything, the place seems more popular than he might expect, given that there's a long river emerging from the lake - the one the team hiked along yesterday - that provides plenty of water for any animals downstream. Yet the tracks seem to come from downstream too, suggesting an appeal to this place for the local fauna.

Satisfied that he's alone, he sits on a rock on the shore and takes off his boots and socks. He dips a toe into the water; it's cold alright. He glances around again and figures that this will be his best chance to clean up in privacy. He peels off his clothes and, making sure the towel is within easy reach of the shore, jogs into the water and plunges in headfirst. His brain registers the shock but he's dealt with worse. That's not to say he wants to swim a whole lap though. He bounces out of the water in the shallows, grabbing the soap and quickly lathering up. One or two quick dunks later and he's rinsed.

Turning for his towel, he suddenly realizes that he's being watched by K'wa'iti. The shifter is in wolf form, sitting on the edge of the lake right next to his towel and rifle. The wolf sits there passively, watching Ellesar with narrow eyes. Hopefully he's just squinting from the sun. Ellesar suddenly feels as soft and pink as his towel. He mountain air is cool and, combined with his wet skin, a chill is rapidly setting in. Figuring his options are to stay where he is and freeze or go for the towel and risk being jumped by the wolf, he figures that the latter is the better option. It's the quicker death at least.

Ellesar reaches out and grabs the towel without K'wa'iti moving other than to turn his head. Ellesar towels off quickly, separated from his rifle by the wolf's massive body. He can reach his clothes but they're still dirty. The thought of putting them on while he's now clean is unappealing. The wolf doesn't give any indication that he's going to move or go back to camp before Ellesar does.
Tecumseh
Smohalla sits in his tree, his mind weaving back and forth between realities, his mental location at any one moment as impossible to predict as the motion of a tree branch in the high wind.

He tries to retrace the steps of his morning journey but he cannot. His way is blocked, the gate to the metaplanes obstructed by some unknown and unseen keeper. Repeatedly, he is forced back to the astral realm. There are secrets left to learn, and paths that must be led to be followed.

The clock lurches forward with each attempt. Time in this corner of reality is unpredictable. What might be the merest moment in one realm requires multiple hours in the physical world, and vice versa. His head spins, disoriented from a constant uncertainty of time and place. When his eyes reopen on the night sky, it takes a moment for him to remember where, who, and what he is. Such is the experience of the Awakened world, dividing a single being from itself.
Tecumseh
Stogie and Jake track the magic up the mountain. It's not hard to do; with Stogie's enhanced senses, tracing the ley line is no harder than following a set of fluorescent footprints. The lines lead almost due south, straight for the crater where the peak of the mountain used to be before the eruption.

It's a steady march uphill. Within two kilometers the brave adventurers find themselves along the edge of Carbon Glacier. Wildlife sightings are not infrequent. In fact, given that much of the terrain is rocky snow or snowy rock, there's more fauna here than Stogie would expect.

Jake doesn't consciously notice it, but Stogie can sense it through their link: the border collie wants to go further up the mountain. Stogie realizes that Jake would go all the way to the top if he let him. It's nothing he can see, hear, or smell, but there's something about the place that draws Jake in.

Stogie's focusing so much on it that he's surprised when he's buzzed by something above. He looks up and see an air spirit flitting about. It appears to be wild, dancing and playing midair. Looking around, Stogie sees a water spirit off on the glacier to his right. It doesn't pay any attention to him; it's doing whatever water spirits do when they're not on their home planes.

Sighting a free spirit is rare. Seeing two back-to-back is a pattern. Stogie slows his steps and looks around more carefully. Far up the ridge he and Jake are climbing, maybe half a click straight ahead, is a giant earth spirit. It looks like it's made of boulders. It bears a strong resemblance to the spirit that Smohalla summoned earlier, the one that brought the goat back to camp and sent Jake into a barking frenzy. It's hard to say from this distance, but this one might be even bigger.

Jake hasn't noticed the earth spirit yet. He looks back at Stogie impatiently, urging him on.
phlapjack77
This unknown force, this unseen barrier, it would not yield.

Each attempt to breach it was rebuffed silently yet undeniably.

His efforts to reach the metaplanes stymied, Smohalla turned his thoughts to other matters.

The Sisters had spoken many times of Talol, the spirit of the mountain.

Perhaps it was time to try to have palaver with this great spirit.

His astral form returned to his body to find it exhausted to the point of death.

Too long had the halves been separate - Talol could wait for the morrow.

The glowing bird slowly sank into the shadowy one, until the two were one again.

Winging his way tiredly back to camp, Smohalla dressed and joined the others around the campfire.
AtroposReborn
Ellesar wraps the towel around his waist, grateful for the warmth it provided. Still, the towel was not nearly enough to prevent him from shivering slightly. He attempts to take his mind off of the chill by speaking to the shifter. "Hello friend," he says with as warm a smile he can produce. "What brings you out here? Hopefully I didn't spoil your morning dip." He hopes that the jest will not be lost on the beastman, knowing full well how the ways of men do not always reach him. Not that Ellesar is too keen on them either.
Tecumseh
With a deep heave that can only be interpreted as a sigh, the shifter transforms back into a human. He sits on a rock, as naked as Ellesar, his hands folded around his knees in front of him. He looks out over the lake, keeping Ellesar in the corner of his vision.

"Why are you here, elf?" he asks with a deep exhale. "You are everywhere you are not supposed to be.

"You are apart from your friends. This is a hazardous place for one such as yourself." Ellesar supposes he means someone who isn't Awakened. "And here you are now, especially vulnerable. That is unwise."

There's an uncomfortable pause as Ellesar tries to figure out if this is a threat or merely a commonsense warning, especially in light of yesterday's events. "You are a hunter," the shifter continues after a moment, with the slightest glance to Ellesar's rifle. "Why are you not hunting the men and women who killed your family? Why are you here, in the mountains, in the forest, so far away from where they must be? If my pack were harmed, or even in danger, my path would set."

He tilts his head the smallest degree, peering at Ellesar with his eyes turned. "Why are you here? For your friends, there is great power here. For you, great danger."
pbangarth
Stogie calls Jake to him. After a moment of delay, Jake responds, and comes around Stogie's right side to sit at his left. Stogie gets down on one knee. Digging out a treat for Jake, he offers it to the dog and scratches him behind an ear. Jake gobbles up, and tilts his head. Stogie's concern filters through their mental link. Jake can't see it. Going up is just ... right.

"I don't know what is going on here, Jake. And being ignorant is the wrong way to be when powerful forces are flying around your ears. I'm scared, Jake. For me and for you. But I have to figure out what is moving these Sisters. And.. this place! Holy shit. I've never seen anything like this, and I bet few people have. What is up there?

Stogie gathers some rocks nearby and makes a trail marker, an arrow pointing up the magic path. He brushes the dirt off his hands.

"Whaddaya say we go look?" Jake doesn't need any more than that. Like a rocket he launches himself up the mountainside. Slowly, boy. Slowly. Stogie follows, and Jake pulls up to a walk.
Tecumseh
Opting for valor over discretion, Stogie marches on. Climbing over rocks and around boulders, he cautiously makes his way up the ridgeline that runs up the mountain. The ley line is beneath him and runs directly underneath the spirit ahead. As he closes the distance, he begins to realize exactly how massive the spirit is. It's bigger than any troll he's ever seen, even the jacked-up, overstuffed monstrosities that are popular in the media.

It's difficult to imagine that earth spirits need to sit, but this one appears to be seated on a giant slab of andesite. It looks to be at least three meters tall, even seated. Standing, it must before four meters tall, plus a meter wide or more. If it weighs less than ten tons, Stogie will kick Jake and not apologize.

A glance of sunlight reflects off the spirit and blinds Stogie for a moment. Getting closer, it's even harder to say what the spirit actually is. It's mostly rock, but the joints seem to be made of ice and snow. Are there glacier spirits? That might be the best way to describe it.

It seems almost contemplative. Not that such things have distinct heads, but Stogie would guess that it's watching the other spirits that are racing about. It turns when Jake gets a bit too close, its massive form shifting as pebbles and ice crystals fall out of its articulations.

Stogie is caught out in the open. On the astral, he can feel the spirit staring through him. It quickly dismisses Stogie before turning its attention to Jake. It stares at Jake for a long, uncomfortable minute, emitting grinding, crushing noises from within its massive frame. After a heart-stopping wait, it finally turns back to the glacier, watching whatever it was watching before.
pbangarth
Jake takes the spirit's gaze as a personal challenge. Nobody outstares a border collie! He gives as good as he gets, and whufs once when the spirit turns its gaze away. Jake boss over rock!

Stogie watches the exchange and chuckles at Jake's behaviour at the end of it. He considers the earth spirit. Not surprising in this place that it would be sitting on the residue from volcanic activity. Interesting that it sits right on the line of magical energy.

"Are you a guardian of this place?" he asks of it. Never talked to a spirit before. First time for everything.
Tecumseh
The spirit sits there impassively without registering a reply. It doesn't offer any recognition that it has been spoken to. The spirit is wild, lacking any imprint from a summoning magician. As such, it is missing the connection to and understanding of the human world that a summoner provides.

On the astral, the spirit looks different from any that Stogie has ever seen. It is very much the product of this time and this place. It has a body of rock and water for blood, a heart of fire and a halo of wind. It is very much the spirit of a mountain, and a volcano no less. Stogie gets the impression that it might behave like a volcano too: largely dormant, but horribly violent when it erupts.
AtroposReborn
The facade of a smile fades from Ellesar's face. "Tell me then, wolf: Where does this danger come from? Is it you that means me harm? If so then why not attack me here and now when I am, as you say, vulnerable?" He pulls his towel off and spreads his arms out to his sides, completely exposed. Small scars can be seen at certain junctions throughout his body and his flesh remains bumpy from the chilled air.

"You speak to me of loss, of revenge. What do you know of these things? I have spent many moons searching for the men who slayed my family, but the well has run dry. There are no more leads. So here I am, hoping beyond hope that I will find someone who can help me." The elf puts his arms down, keeping a hold onto the pink towel. He begins walking around the wolf to get to his clothes and rifle.
Tecumseh
The shifter has not demonstrated any sense of humor up to this point, but a thin smile traces across his face as Ellesar flashes him.

"You should not tempt me so," he says with his ambiguous Mona Lisa smile. "I am dangerous."

He stands. "But so are many things in these woods. Your encounter yesterday with the [incomprehensible] should have taught you as much."

The shifter appraises Ellesar closely. "The Sisters may be able to help you - they are capable of much - but first you must help them."

He glances down at Ellesar's rifle. He pivots slightly, allowing the elf to grab the weapon, staring at him the whole time.
pbangarth
Stogie waits for a response. When he gets none, he shrugs, and walks around the spirit, giving it more space than Jake did when he drew its attention, and continues up the mountain, following the line of magic. Jake bounds ahead, sniffing everything.
phlapjack77
Smohalla settles himself by the fire, his torn jacket in hand.

He rummages around in his travel pouch and pulls out a bone needle and some hemp thread.

As he gets down to work, he wonders where everybody has gone...
Tecumseh
Stogie is quickly approaching the point where following the lines of magic up the mountain will be prohibitively difficult. The next stretch of Mt. Rainier's north slope rises at a 45 degree angle. The footing is dangerous from loose rock and unstable, fresh snow. As it is, he's gained several hundred meters of elevation from the campsite and is going to need to take a break soon.

The crater at the top of the mountain begins maybe two kilometers away. In the distance, he sees three fire spirits bouncing in and out of the crater. They jet through the air with the appearance of arcing lava. Squinting a bit, it looks like they've chasing an air spirit. The air spirit tries to dodge and escape but it's hemmed in by the coordinated efforts of the fire spirits. It does not look like a fun game for the air spirit.
AtroposReborn
Ellesar shoulders his rifle and looks at the pile of dirty clothes. Now what? I have nowhere to wash them and I doubt the sisters just keep spare men's clothes laying around.

His thoughts quickly return to the situation at hand as he notices the man watching him. "I hope that these sisters and I will be able to help each other. However that is for a later time. Perhaps you can help me. I seem to be in need of..." he pauses, not quite certain as to how much the shifter understands of metahuman ways. "Coverings, I seem to be in need of coverings. Would you know where I could find some?"
Tecumseh
"Coverings?" the shifter asks. "I am under the impression that when your kind needs coverings, they kill something else and use its hide." Ellesar thinks the shifter might be referring to the troll and her huge bearskin shawl.

"The Sisters have skins and blankets for warmth in the winter. The ork may also have something which suits you."

Ellesar wrinkles his nose privately. The ork tends to wear a skirt woven out of cedar. Her shirts look like rough wool. Maybe he could ask Smohalla to summon an air spirit to wash his clothes and then blow dry them. An engulf attack would work on his underwear, wouldn't it?

The shifter, feeling a cold draft as the sun descends behind the trees, transforms back into a wolf. He returns to the campfire and settles down.
AtroposReborn
Ellesar, once again wrapped in his pink towel, also returns to the warmth of the fire. As he stares into the fire his mind wanders off, occasionally toying with the thought of a wolf pelt for a coat.
pbangarth
For a moment, Stogie watches the spirits' game. In a roundabout way it reminds him of how he lost his farm, when the gunmen came.

Air spirits are way faster than any other kind. Why doesn't it get away? Or even just zap away home like spirits do? Oh. Maybe the mountain itself is its home. Even so, three can trap it in two dimensions, but it has three to play with. It should be able to get away. Like there! When they arc, it should be able to dodge out below the arc. Like old Margaret used to do with the younger dogs trying to herd her.

He's not a magician, but Stogie knows there are ways to communicate in the astral. He just sort of ... wishes ... his idea to the air spirit. Maybe that will work. He calls Jake to him, in case it becomes time to run. In any case, it will be too much effort to continue the way they have traveled. Jake might be able to handle slopes, but this one is pernicious and long, and the day is wearing on.
Tecumseh
Almost as soon as Stogie thinks it, it happens. The air spirit finally leverages its superior speed - and perhaps its Movement power, Stogie theorizes - to rocket straight up in the air, easily outpacing the fire spirits that bubble and boil below. Stogie's left to wonder if he had any part in the escape, or if the spirit simply came to the same conclusion simultaneously. Very curious.
Tecumseh
Later that afternoon, the team returns to the campsite from various directions just as dusk is falling. Everyone stops short, pausing to listen to the most incredible commotion coming out of the clearing. There seems to be a full scale war underway, with gunshots, explosions, calls for help, off-road vehicles spinning their wheels, rock slides, fires burning, victorious laughter, and general uproar. Yet for all this there are no flashes of light, no booming compression waves that would indicate actual explosions, nor any good reason why any of this would be coming out of a ten-meter clearing unless the Sisters also have some bleeding edge trideo equipment that they occasionally break out for movie night.

Approaching cautiously, you sneak forward and find an unexpected scene: The fire is crackling warmly and brightly, a pot of water bubbling peacefully above it. Hester and Selene are sitting next to the fire, smiling and laughing with a tawny orange Sasquatch that is kneeling in between them. The ork and the troll have matching gunshot wounds to their shoulders, the ork's on the left shoulder and the troll's on the right. The sasquatch is on its knees beside them, using a needle and thread to sew the wounds shut. Meanwhile, the two Sisters are flashing hand signals back and forth with their free hands. The sasquatch nods agreeably and makes shockingly realistic sound effects to punctuate the story. Everything you heard was painstaking lifelike and completely originated from within this three-meter-tall hairy orangish biped. If only there were an Entertainment spell to complete the scene.

Smohalla knows a bit of sign language - no more than a child, really, and barely enough to distinguish American Sign Language from Perkins-Athabaskan. Still, it's enough to piece together the broad strokes of the story, which somehow involves an action sequence involving the Three Sisters. Yet, despite being shot, Hester and Selene still appear to be quite jovial. It's the best mood you've seen them in up to this point. The wounds do not appear to be serious. They're large enough to suggest a high caliber round but they appear to be glancing blows to the outside of their deltoids. The sasquatch uses some of the simmering water to wash the wounds as it works. Ellesar glances at the end result from a distance and has to nod: looks like the sasquatch makes a pretty clean stitch, no medkit or anything.
pbangarth
Not much chance that they would actually surprise this bunch, but Stogie takes no chances. Once having taken in the strange scene, he calls out, "Hoy, camp. Friends coming in!" He then stands clear of the shrubs behind which he was hiding and holds out his hands to the sides. "Looks like you had some fun!" Jake lies on the ground, perfectly still. That sasquatch. It's just not right. Is it human? Is it a bear? Is it a rug?
AtroposReborn
Ellesar remains silent and still. He's more confused than anything and only reaches for his rifle out of instinct. He keeps it firmly in his hands nonetheless.
phlapjack77
Smohalla says hello to everyone around the campfire as they arrive.

He studies the Sasquatch as he works, and gives a nod of greeting.

He considers using magic to help, then decides against it.

Then he wonders what could have caused those gunshot wounds.

He doesn't like what those wounds could signify.
Tecumseh
The laughter of the women fades as they turn to the team. The troll grunts in Or'zet under her breath. Smohalla can't hear it but Stogie thinks it sounded something like, "They're back." The women aren't laughing anymore but they still have smug smiles on their faces. There's an unmistakable gleam in their eyes.

It's clear you've interrupted story-time. The sasquatch falls silent and turns its back to you to finish sewing. Once that's done, it wraps the wounds snugly in a white bandage. The troll flexes, squeezing her fist and testing the wrap. She seems pleased with it.

"Well, everyone's finally back!" Ellie says, returning to the clearing with a pot that's comically large for her small frame. "You missed some excitement!" she says as she carries the pot to the fire. The sasquatch removes the smaller pot so that Ellie can put hers over the fire. She brushes her hands off when she's done.

"Poachers!" she announces, turning to the men. "I don't know whether it was lucky or unlucky that we crossed paths with them." The ork and the troll look decidedly pleased that things worked out that way.

"What's the world come to, that men will shoot at women!" Ellie complains rhetorically/defensively/with a huff. She plants her hands on her hips and tsks at the thought.

The ork mutters something in Or'zet that makes the troll laugh. Stogie doesn't catch all of it, but it sounded like, "___ __ ___ shoot the devil ____ __ ___ ____?"
pbangarth
Jake flinches under the pressure of the displeasure he feels from the women by the fire. Sometimes it's a pain to be the end result of a hundred generations of breeding to be able to read subtle human cues. He trots over to Ellie, wagging his tail.

Stogie tips his hat to the unhappy ladies and follows Jake to Ellie. "Sad to hear you had some trouble. If I can help patch you up, I would be glad to do so. I've had a run-in or two with poachers in my time, too. Nasty bunch. But to be honest," he smiles as he says this, "I've found that the female of the species is usually the more dangerous. I suspect the first shot they took was in anger, the last one in fear."
AtroposReborn
Ellesar walks slowly over to the group. He returns his rifle to his shoulder without taking his eyes off of the sisters and the sasquatch. He chuckles lightly. "Stogie I daresay that the ladies would rather be patched up by Jake for fear of misplaced parts." The elf's laugh intensifies, oblivious to whether the others got the joke or not. After a few quick moments he calms himself, his face returning to its usual stoic self. "Besides, their hairy friend has done a fine job. He could teach me a thing or two."
Tecumseh
"She," the troll rumbles deeply at Ellesar, correcting his assumption of the sasquatch's gender. The sasquatch looks embarrassed to be mentioned and ducks her face away, hiding under her long head hair.

Ellie walks over and pats the sasquatch on the shoulder. Then she lays her hands on the troll and concentrates for a long moment. There's a burst of mana on the astral, starting off as a warm yellow glow before steadily building to a pure white crescendo. It seems like a much stronger outpouring of magic than what should be needed to heal such shallow wounds. There's a blue-white flash at the finale and suddenly it's gone. Ellie turns and repeats the process on the ork, sterilizing and sealing the wound magically. Once she's done, the ork and the troll take the opportunity to test the treatment by slugging each other in the shoulder. Neither of them flinches: a sure sign that the healing is complete.

Ellie turns back to the men and frowns. She still looks put out by the poachers, her aura showing the annoyance and uncertainty that's on her face.

"What I can't figure out," she says, "is what exactly they were poaching. They didn't have the equipment for collecting reagents, they didn't look like trappers, and their guns were strange for hunters. The elf just had two pistols! What on earth would he hunt with those?" She puts her hands on her hips, as she often does, and shakes her head.

She throws her hands up in defeat. Turning back to her pot, she tries to put the matter out of her mind by focusing on dinner.
pbangarth
Stogie perks up when he hears about the elf's weapons. "Two pistols? Can you describe the poachers more fully? I may be jumping to conclusions, but they may have been hunting metahumans. Who live in the mountains. Here."
AtroposReborn
The mention of an elf captures Ellesar's direct attention. Why would they come out here? It's not as though there is much of worth in this place. Unless they know about the mountain or the sisters. Still, it would be best if we could acquire more information. He faces the sasquatch. "Apologies for my assumption. I come from a place where most of the field medics are male." He waits to see if Stogie's questions are answered before he presents his own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012