Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: High Pain Tolerance question
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Jhaiisiin
A question recently came up about how High Pain Tolerance functions.

My understanding is allows a single box per rating before calculating any modifiers. That is, at maximum rating 3, you'd have to take 6 boxes of damage before taking your first -1 modifier. But after that, it calculates normally.

Another school of thought is that the additional no-modifier box applies to each level of modifier, meaning at max level you would need 12 boxes of damage for -2, 18 for -3, etc.

What are your thoughts on how this works?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Nov 13 2011, 07:17 AM) *
A question recently came up about how High Pain Tolerance functions.

My understanding is allows a single box per rating before calculating any modifiers. That is, at maximum rating 3, you'd have to take 6 boxes of damage before taking your first -1 modifier. But after that, it calculates normally.

Another school of thought is that the additional no-modifier box applies to each level of modifier, meaning at max level you would need 12 boxes of damage for -2, 18 for -3, etc.

What are your thoughts on how this works?

It is easy, subtract your level of Pain Tolerance from the boxes of damage taken, and then calculate your Wound Modifier from that. That is all. No other schools of thought.

So, with 3 Boxes of Damage and HPT 3, you have no Modifier.
With 5 Boxes of Damage and HPT, you still have no modifier.
With 12 Boxes of Damage and HPT 3, you have a Modifier of -3. The Formula: (12-3=9), -1 Modifier for each three full boxes of sustained Damage. 11 Boxes of damage in the same scenario leaves you with a -2 Modifier.

Easy Peasy. smile.gif
Jhaiisiin
That's what I thought. I encountered someone who figured that it was an extra box per wound penalty, and I needed a second opinion to the debate. Thank you.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Nov 13 2011, 12:25 PM) *
That's what I thought. I encountered someone who figured that it was an extra box per wound penalty, and I needed a second opinion to the debate. Thank you.

No Worries. Glad to be of help. smile.gif
Udoshi
QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Nov 13 2011, 12:25 PM) *

Basically, it makes a lot more sense when you have a visual representation of boxes on your condition monitor, like on the provided character sheets.
Those happen to be marked with penalties for your given wounds, and high pain tolerance just makes a few not be counted, so you shift the penalties over to one side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012