Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OOC: Gate Technologies
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Shadow
Currently I am running two games, Threat and Favor and Grasping Vapors. Read through those games, if you don't like my GM style or feel that I don't run the kind of game you like, it's better to find out now. Threat and Favor is my primary game, it is the one I am paying the most attention to. I don't plan on starting this one until Threat has ended. Which should be soon (in the next few weeks). So you have some time to put character together. I wil post the history and ideas I have come up with for the game so far, so you only have one thread to read.

Because of the unique setting not all archetypes will be put to there maximum use. For instince, if you decide to play a decker it is unlikely you will be doing any actual decking. It is more likely your computer skills will be put to use figuring out alien technologies. At some point a DNI of some kind might be modified to allow a decker/rigger to jack into a alien ship, but that point is not now.

The characters will start having no knowledge of gate travel or aliens. You are Shadowrunners. You live and breath in the shadows.

Please read through the rules twice before hitting the reply button. If you have any question, post them. Others may have the same question.

1. 125 point characters or priorites - no Becks, no Sum to 10.

2. Your welcome to use a current characters of up to 100 karma (see #1 if you don't have a current character). This does not mean you can create a new character and give him 100 karma. If you do use a previous character I would prefer it be one you have used in a game on Dumpshock. *All characters recieve the Edge 'Good Reputation Lvl1' for free. I expect you to roleplay this edge.

3. This game is not first come first serve. Submit your character and I will get back to you on if he/she is in.

4. You can by power (spell) points, and karma with money. The cost of a point of Kama is 5,000. The purpose being that you could initiate before gameplay.

5. Alpha is the highest grade for cyberware for starting characters. Any other characters can have up to Delta; but there better be a good reason why they have Delta. No cultured bioware on character creation.

6. Availability 12, max rating of 8, for equipment on starting characters.

7. I want finished characters only with the 20 questions answered. Characters need to be on nice clean sheets, the NSCRG web format is not acceptable.

8. You get 2 'bonus' Karma points if you send me a 500 word history with your character.

9. No custom gear. This is non negotiable. And by this I mean no gear from scratch, modifying current vehicles and weapons are acceptable.

10. I will post a minimum of 5 times a week (Monday through Friday). R/L could interfere but I will let you know if I cant post for more than a day or two. I can only post if you do though, so I expect everyone who plays to post at least 5 times a week. If you cant post often, please don't submit.

11. Deckers welcome! (See above note about Deckers and Riggers)

12. Characters are expected to get a long and act like professionals. Lone wolves need not apply. (See above note about Good Rep.)

13. Don't worry about overlapping characters. Just make the character you want to play.

14. This forum, and my games, are PG-13. Keep foul language to an absolute minimum, or keep it in SR terms (Fragger, drek, etc).

15. If you have a question ask in the OOC, others may have this question as well. Don't PM me unless it is something you want no one else to know.

16. We will be using some rules from Raygun's site. Specifically, the firearms range tables. His weapons are also welcome.

E-mail completed characters kelvaris@dragonbaitstudio.com

The rules are subject to change and I am the sole arbiter of characters. If I say it doesn't go, it doesn't go.
Grey
Would you allow us to submit a character we have playing in a seperate game? I know some GMs done like that, so I thought I'd check first.
Bearclaw
I have a fairly experienced decker I'd LOVE to play. He's been kicking me in the head every couple weeks or so wondering when he gets to fire up his BFG again.
Shadow
If you think the character would fit please do. Bear in mind though, this is a 'split' reality game. Any changes made to your character after they are in this game probably wont fly in other games. But if you don't mind having the same character in two games either do I. Bear in mind changes in one cannot affect the other.
Grey
No problem. I'll submit the character as pre-the-game-he-is-in.
A Clockwork Lime
I do have a magician character -- a former Ancients go-ganger known Propsero before he went legit -- who's perfect for this, and it's cool to see you're accepting previously made characters again. I just need to focus on these two other games I'm working on at the moment (curses for being so anal about character creation), so I won't be able to plug him into an online format for at least a couple of more days.

How long will you be accepting submissions? If you're hoping to get this started soon, I just won't waste yours and everyone else's time. smile.gif
Shadow
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime @ Apr 5 2004, 01:05 PM)
I do have a magician character -- a former Ancients go-ganger known Propsoero before he went legit -- perfect for this, and it's cool to see you're accepting previously made characters again.  I just need to focus on these two other games I'm working on at the moment (curses for being so anal about character creation), so I won't be able to plug him into an online format for at least a couple of more days.

How long will you be accepting submissions?  If you're hoping to get this started soon, I just won't waste yours and everyone else's time. smile.gif

Dammit Clock you were supposed to be in Team Effort, if you bail on me again I will hunt you down wink.gif

I like the continuity that previously made characters provide for both me and the player. As a player I (of course) enjoy making characters, but I hate only playing them once.

If your character is already made you don't have to change anything, as long as he doesn't exceed the 100 karma limit.

I forgot to mention, take your time. I have no plans to start this game until T & F is finished.
Shadow
So far these players have expressed an interest either privatley or publicly.

Grey
Leowulf
BGMFH
A Clockwork Lime
Panzergeist
kevyn668
Digital Heroin
Voorhees
Callidus
toturi
Crechebaby
Beast of Revolutions
Bearclaw
Eyeless Blond

This game is NOT closed. Like all my games I do not do first come first serve, I take the best players and characters. Submit the character you want to play. I stress that cause I only want people to play a character their interested in. Not because they think the group needs it. So if your interested in playing there is still room. I am probably going to cap the game at 8 players, maybe less, maybe more.
Beast of Revolutions
Don't be forgetting me. I would like to try my hand at playing Stargate.
Bearclaw
errrr....... <cough> There was some one else who should have been on that list <cough>Bearclaw<cough>
Shadow
Sorry, I must have missed you guys.

Here is the history for the game. Your character wont of course know this but you need to know it.

The Stargate program was shutdown in 2006 after a massive combined strike from the Touri, Tokr'a and the Asgard, shattered the Goa'uld. At this point the gate was turned over to NASA to study. Then the awakening and all of the Shadowrun history happened. The gate and the threat of the Goa'uld was buried under the more immediate problems of VITAS and the eminent collapse of the US Govt. Ares catalogued the gate as "important" and then promptly stored it in a high security warehouse. In 2062 a German born scientist name Markuhm Von Braun was extracted from SK. He brought with him the remains of a Goa'uld DHD that had been in SK's possession. He convinced a VP named Alex Norman to start his own subdivision called "Gate Technologies". With a little digging the team was able to find all the notes, but none of the alien technology or Naqueda. Convinced they could make it work they used the start up money to buy a facility in Seattle’s dockyards, pier 32. Norman and Von Braun are convinced that they need to keep this project secret from Ares. If the Corp were to find out they would most likely take it away from them.

Ares and the board think Gate Technologies is a purely theoretical sciences company. They have given them a small budget and are hoping to get great returns form the brilliant Von Braun. Because of the nature of the job Norman feels hiring Shadowrunners to go off world would be the best bet. They are concerned that if they use corp. assets their cover would be blown.

Grey
And the fact that Touri, Tokr'a, and Asgard means nothing to me won't get in the way?

In fact, me may be helpful. If my character isn't supposed to know, I get to discover everything along with him. smile.gif
A Clockwork Lime
Just nearly wet yourself if you encounter anyone with glowing eyes and you should be okay.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Grey)
And the fact that Touri, Tokr'a, and Asgard means nothing to me won't get in the way?

In fact, me may be helpful. If my character isn't supposed to know, I get to discover everything along with him. smile.gif

I was thinking the same thing. Never got into the show, so I won't have any OOC knowledge smile.gif
Shadow
Well I hope you have fun and it makes you want to watch the show, because quite honestly it is one of (if not the) best show on TV, ever.
Fresno Bob
Actually, Farscape is the best show ever, but Stargate is on the top ten.

I suppose I'll make my character tomorrow.
BGMFH
Current Character incoming, an O'Neal inspired Sam, but with much better social skills.

Rigger will be incoming later, after I decide on optimal drone mix for an episode of SG-1
Beast of Revolutions
Do you mean that we have to pay 25,000 for spell points, but only 5,000 for karma? Also, how much karma would initiation cost? Would we assume we had a group/did ordeals?
Shadow
Spell points are purchased as normal.

Karma is availibke for buying to help Mgages or Adepts initiate before the game starts. Some people feel it is worth the hit in skills/attributes to initiate. You cannot purchase karma for an existing character.

Remeber this is not 'make a character then give him 100 karma'. If you don't have a character with karma between 0 and 100 you have to make a new one. If you do make a new one you have the option to purchase karma for the purpose of initiating.
Panzergeist
I'm making a Samantha Carter type tech wiz, sans F-16 skill. He'll be able to do our electronics, chemistry, biotech and demolitions stuff. How big is the stargate? Our rigger will probably need to know that. Also, can we get cultured bioware? My character could really use some of that. And, for initiating, would we assume that the character had a group or went through an ordeal?
BGMFH
The gate is approx 12-18ft in diameter, will look up the exact in a minute.
Shadow
No. Let me say it again. If you are making a starting character you are bound by the starting character rules. The only exception is that you may (if you wish) use your starting money to purchase karma for the express purpose of initiating.

In other words,

5. Alpha is the highest grade for cyberware for starting characters. Any other characters can have up to Delta; but there better be a good reason why they have Delta.

6. Availability 12, max rating of 8, for equipment on starting characters.
Fresno Bob
We're making shadowrunners, not military types, right?

Hmmm, I have a face character I've been wanting to play, but he wouldn't do well for offworld. Eh, I'll make an ordnance guy.
Shadow
QUOTE (Voorhees)
We're making shadowrunners, not military types, right?

Hmmm, I have a face character I've been wanting to play, but he wouldn't do well for offworld. Eh, I'll make an ordnance guy.

13. Don't worry about overlapping characters. Just make the character you want to play.

Don't worry about if he will be useful off world.. just make a character you want to play.
BGMFH
6 meters in internal diameter
Fresno Bob
Uh, ok.
Panzergeist
The rulebook says that not allowing bioware at character generation is an optional rule, so you did not in fact say it the first time.
Shadow
It is a circle though, that is it's diameter at it's widest point. I don't think you can drive a car through it, but maybe a ATV or a dirt bike.
Shadow
QUOTE (Panzergeist)
The rulebook says that not allowing bioware at character generation is an optional rule, so you did not in fact say it the first time.

Good point, let me clarify that for you.

No.
BGMFH
it is a *Perfect* circle, 6 meters is the distance from any two equidistant points.
Shadow
Right. Forget I said anything.
BGMFH
Sorry Shadow, watching show right now.
Panzergeist
Right, but if your car is 6 meters wide, it would have to be infinitely flat to fit through. Another important statistic is how wide it is at whatever height the ramp comes up to it at. It takes some trigonometry to figure the maximum hieght/width of an object that could fit through, but I'm estimating about 4 meters by 4 meters. So, pretty much any ground vehicle short of a tank, but no helicopters, unless maybe they hav folding rotor blade and aren't very big.

Incidentaly, I'm taking a stock broker as a contact. Once we capture some l33t Goa-Uld tech and the company starts reverse engineering it, I think I'll do some insider trading. vegm.gif
Shadow
I am currently 2 disks into season 6, so please no spoilers. I will reciprocate by not doing the same.

I hadn't thought about the possibility of a rigger wanting to take his vehicle off world... that would work. It would have to be a 4x4 of some kind though.
BGMFH
My rigger is actually thinking Drones, with a cranial RCD.
Eyeless Blond
Hm. I was thinking about submitting my name for consideration, but from the looks of things this will not be a very newbie-friendly game. I do like making characters, though, and as yet have never actually been in an SR game, so put me on the list too. smile.gif
Shadow
There are lots of games for newbies Eyeless, but not many for characters who have been around a while. I accept both. One thing I do not like is the 'starting character + 100 karma'. Characters who are arificially boosted for no other reason then to make the playing level is something I wont do. I also like the variable power levels in this type of game. The hardened veteren with the newbie is a good thing.
Eyeless Blond
Oh, right, character concept. I was thinking a Snake shamanist. Sort of the academic, knowledgable type. Rather like Daniel Jackson actually; I've always liked that kind of character, 'cause I like to think I am one. biggrin.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Shadow)
The hardened veteren with the newbie is a good thing.

That's a really cool idea, and it fits with my concept for this guy exactly too. He could be new to the shadows, sorta latching on to one of the veterans, learning the tricks of the trade, etc etc. Hm, now I'm all tempted to start writing backstory... *opens up Notepad*
BGMFH
My rigger is looking good, working on better weapon layout. Hey shadow, Rigger 3 says the Mitsubishi runabout is the smallest car available.... think it is small enough to fit.
kevyn668
@ Eyeless Blonde:
If you're a newb it must be because you haven't actually played alot. I seen your theory in action on the "Ifilitration Challenge". Your ideas are better than many "veterans'" (myself included). smile.gif
Just incase you needed an extra nudge.

In case anyone cares, I'm making a straight up runner. Ex-corp. Medium cyber. Decent social skills. All the cliches wink.gif

**drools over all the Raygun toys**
kevyn668
QUOTE (BGMFH)
My rigger is looking good, working on better weapon layout. Hey shadow, Rigger 3 says the Mitsubishi runabout is the smallest car available.... think it is small enough to fit.

I'd bet you could fit those nifty SEAL dune buggies through...
A Clockwork Lime
I seem to remember them fitting a mini-sub through, too. It was wide enough for people to sit in it car-style, so I imagine most non-obscenely-wide Cars could fit. Hummers and Lambourghinis being examples of those that probably wouldn't fit.
Shadow
Well six meters is roughly 18 feet... Humvees are only 8 feet wide. Are you guys sure it's 6 meters wide? That seems awful big...

If it is most cars would be able to fit through, but probably not trucks or vans.
Beast of Revolutions
A Ford-Canada Bison would probably fit through. The Bison is a great off-road vehicle for both combat and long-range travel. It has basic living amenities, making to good for long field trips. Great idea on the insider trading Panzer. Count me in. I'll get a hall of records official as a contact to get us fake SINs so we can buy stock.

As for my own character, he's a shaman. Appropriately enough, his totem is fire-bringer. I considered Snake, but I can't bloody stand pacifists. He'll be doing Daniel Jackson's job, with knowledge in anthropology high ettiquette, and a lot of lanuage skills.
kevyn668
I'm watching it right now and 18 feet does seem big...but it hasn't been on screen since the opening scene.

Damn Tok'ra!!
kevyn668
I may have to amend my earlier comment on my character. He's definately going to be the "fighter" but it seems like we need some of those....

I've been kicking around this idea for a while and he keeps getting sidelined for various reasons. Maybe this'll be the one.
A Clockwork Lime
THE STARGATE
(Potential Spoilers After Second Paragraph)

A large circular ring, roughly 20 feet (6 metres) in diameter and weighing 64,000 pounds, the Stargate is made of the quartzite-metal element called naquadah. Earth's Stargate was found in Egypt in 1928, and has been housed in what is currently the SGC facility on and off since the 1940s. With a valid glyph sequence encoded, and given a neutrino energy burst, the Gate opens a worm-hole to a remote Stargate. The Gate is essentially a giant superconductor that creates an artificial wormhole that transfers an energized matter stream in one direction along an extra-dimensional conduit. An event horizon dematerialises an object, turning it into matter and transmitting it through a subspace wormhole. The receiving Gate translates the energy signature and reconverts it back into its original form of matter. The Stargate has massive amounts of memory like a computer buffer that temporarily stores energy signatures before reconverting them in order to make sure the information is complete before reintegration.

The Stargate's design incorporates two rings, one outer stationary piece, and one rotating inner ring, engraved with 39 symbols. Similar to a combination lock, the inner ring must be turned to seven of the symbols, in a valid order to lock in the target planet's coordinates. This sequence of symbols corresponds to coordinates in three dimensional space where the target Stargate is located. The Stargate, except in Earth's case (the Stargate is controlled by a supercomputer), requires a dialling device that allows glyph entry and sends the appropriate power charge to the Gate.

Originally, it was thought that Earth's Stargate had no dialling device. The Germans had taken the device but the Russians later confiscated the device after World War II. Millions of years ago, Earth had two Stargates but lost the one in Antarctica during the Ice Age. The Goa'uld brought a second Gate to the planet but lost it during an Egyptian uprising. The Russians took possession of the Alpha Gate after it sank to the bottom of the ocean in Thor's ship, leaving the SGC using the Beta Gate. The Russians recovered the Alpha Gate and began using it for their own program. The SGC lost the Beta Gate when Anubis planned on destroying it using technology of the Ancients. The Russians have loaned the Alpha Gate back to the SGC for an undisclosed sum of money.
kevyn668
notworthy.gif notworthy.gif notworthy.gif
Leowulf
I think I may be in the minority of people who don't hate newbies. I like helping newbies learn the ropes. I think I'll either put in Biomage or a cybered animal-minded samurai that I have several unfinished versions of. Then, there's also a ninja adept that I haven't written a bio for. I think I should stop making new characters. I have too many to choose from. wink.gif

I may even throw in Ghost Dragon's cloned twin, you know um... his secret... copy... of... himself! biggrin.gif

I don't think I'll enter Blackjack. This sounds violent. I saw the movie and have seen a few episodes of the series. Someone is always shooting at someone else.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012