Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Awakening is Nigh!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
JanessaVR
So, does anyone have any special SR gaming sessions planned? I wonder if CGL has anything planned - you'd think we'd get a special wallpaper or something to commemorate the occasion.

Anyhow, I was just curious.

Now have to get back to the main thread I'm still working on responding to. Going to be a few hours of work there at least...
Paul
We may play a game on that day, if I get enough players. Not sure we'll do anything special per say, but if I can get at least two or three players we'll play something. We're kind of in the middle of something at the moment, but one of my players has family commitments this weekend so no game.
Bigity
I....I might be playing Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. Since I can't find local Shadowrun players of any edition.
MADness
What's that Fastjack qoute from the Denver sourcebook? "Welcome to the new world" or some such. I'm gonna spend the day looking for it.
CanRay
Good morning world. Welcome back. Play nice.
-Saeletra
Psikerlord
Yep, looking forward to transforming into some kind of awesome adept jedi guy. Back up plan is waiting another 30 years for a super cyberarm. Either or.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 22 2011, 08:51 AM) *
Good morning world. Welcome back. Play nice.
-Saeletra

And that handle have never shown up anywhere else...
Link
Playing SR1 in the early 90's, the Awakening (and other events) seemed like the far flung future, feels a bit strange now I'm reminded that it's this Christmas Eve.
I looked at SR2 out of interest and saw that UGE preceded Ryumyo's appearance on the 24th (maybe I had forgotten that part).
Blade
Yeah but the UGE is something less visible. Haven't you heard of friends or relatives who had children taller or shorter than average recently?

And in France they've recently started a study about the height of newborns. The name of the study? Elfe (French for Elf)
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 22 2011, 07:15 AM) *
And that handle have never shown up anywhere else...
Nope. I think it was Nigel Findley that wrote it, so... frown.gif *Pours a 40 on the curb*
QUOTE (Blade @ Dec 22 2011, 09:37 AM) *
Yeah but the UGE is something less visible. Haven't you heard of friends or relatives who had children taller or shorter than average recently?
My Grandfather (French-Canadian) had semi-pointed ears, and was quite tall. As are all his sons and daughter. I'm short for the family, actually, at just over six feet tall.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 22 2011, 03:24 PM) *
Nope. I think it was Nigel Findley that wrote it, so... frown.gif *Pours a 40 on the curb*

Heh, that guy really seeded his work with "hints". Makes one wonder if he knew something...
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 22 2011, 11:56 AM) *
Heh, that guy really seeded his work with "hints". Makes one wonder if he knew something...
If he did, apparently he took it to his grave.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 22 2011, 05:24 PM) *
If he did, apparently he took it to his grave.

Could it be he was silenced? smokin.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 22 2011, 02:04 PM) *
Could it be he was silenced? smokin.gif
Possible... Possible.

Too many possibilities to consider, actually.
Daddy's Little Ninja
I have small children so I'll be dealing with hyper excited daughters probably sugared up by their indulgent grand parents. I expect I would not notice if a dragon landed on my back porch.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Dec 22 2011, 06:29 PM) *
I have small children so I'll be dealing with hyper excited daughters probably sugared up by their indulgent grand parents. I expect I would not notice if a dragon landed on my back porch.
"Mommy, there's a big lizard on the back porch. It's asking for some Christmas Cake. In my head."
pbangarth
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 22 2011, 09:24 AM) *
Nope. I think it was Nigel Findley that wrote it, so... frown.gif *Pours a 40 on the curb*My Grandfather (French-Canadian) had semi-pointed ears, and was quite tall. As are all his sons and daughter. I'm short for the family, actually, at just over six feet tall.

My daughter was born with pointy ears. Seeing as it was 28 years ago, we called them 'Spock ears'.
Adarael
For years, I tought, "I should throw a Shadowrun party on the 24th! YEAH!" And now that it's here, I'm not doing it. But that's okay, cuz I'll be at a party in downtown Seattle, in a suit, in my best shoes. Not Shadowrun themed, but hey. Still awesome!
Snow_Fox
I envy that. I'll just be in the cellar making sure my emergency supplies are all in place-beer, wine, whiskey, ammo. the usual. Though i did just flash on the idea of Santa riding through the sky getting buzzed by a dragon.
JanessaVR
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 22 2011, 08:25 PM) *
I envy that. I'll just be in the cellar making sure my emergency supplies are all in place-beer, wine, whiskey, ammo. the usual. Though i did just flash on the idea of Santa riding through the sky getting buzzed by a dragon.

Well sounds like you've got the essentials covered...

Guns? Check!

Liquor? Check!

Suspiciously large flapping sound overhead? Um, wait...
CanRay
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 23 2011, 12:25 AM) *
Room in that cellar for one more?
Blade
With my ex-gf we wanted to go to Japan to celebrate the Awakening near Mt Fuji in order to see the dragon come out.
hobgoblin
I swear, the SR player community is as diverse as the Shadowland/Jackpoint commentators.
CanRay
QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 23 2011, 06:23 AM) *
I swear, the SR player community is as diverse as the Shadowland/Jackpoint commentators.
Well, considering that some of us *ARE* said commentators... nyahnyah.gif

There's also the fact that we literally are as diverse as those groups you just pointed out. (Moreso than JackPoint and FastJack's insistence on a small pool of commentators.).
hobgoblin
Sorry, when to use what has confused me from day one...
jaellot
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 22 2011, 05:36 PM) *
"Mommy, there's a big lizard on the back porch. It's asking for some Christmas Cake. In my head."

This sounds like something my current youngest (AKA- The Beast) would say. In fact, two weeks ago she blamed her new haircut on her imaginary friend dragon. Makes me wonder now...

Also, I'm suddenly reminded of a certain Dead Milkmen song...
CanRay
She should know better. The burned off eyebrows is the dragon's fault, not the haircut. nyahnyah.gif
Daddy's Little Ninja
My girls would at once ask if they could keep it-they want a puppy very badly.
CanRay
QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Dec 23 2011, 04:53 PM) *
My girls would at once ask if they could keep it-they want a puppy very badly.
Depending on the age/size of the dragon, it might be happy with that to have a family of humans as pets.

And, look, they're already housetrained!
Daddy's Little Ninja
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 23 2011, 03:57 PM) *
And, look, they're already housetrained!

With my luck it would not be.
CanRay
Your children aren't housetrained?

Honestly, you think the dragon would be YOUR pet? nyahnyah.gif
Daddy's Little Ninja
My youngest is still in diapers and they are so cute who would not want to be their pet?
Brazilian_Shinobi
So, checking the news... No sightseeing of dragons in Japan...
bummer.
spotlite
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Dec 24 2011, 02:49 PM) *
So, checking the news... No sightseeing of dragons in Japan...
bummer.

I know right? This is way more exciting than the countdown to new year...

I'm really hoping for artist physad powers. Gonna have me a hallway full of mind control statues, that'll sort out the door to door salesmen...
CanRay
Either way, folks, we're in for an interesting year!
Snow_Fox
Ironically I'd hoped to get to the range today before my in laws arrived but it's too cold for the bike, especially around the malls here with their added traffic, so I actually have a couple of extra boxes of ammo

Like the BBC said:
The 21st century is when it all changes and you've gotta be ready.
CanRay
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 24 2011, 04:21 PM) *
Ironically I'd hoped to get to the range today before my in laws arrived but it's too cold for the bike, especially around the malls here with their added traffic, so I actually have a couple of extra boxes of ammo

Like the BBC said:
The 21st century is when it all changes and you've gotta be ready.
Got room for another at the range? nyahnyah.gif

Family rather than holiday traffic is usually better. As for changes, well, wasn't hard to figure out things are going to be different. They've been heading that way since the turn of last century!
JanessaVR
Well, 'tis the day of the Awakening, but was fairly quiet, at least for me. Getting over a cold and catching up on sleep.

At any rate, welcome to the Sixth World, everyone.

'Nite, Dumpshock. smile.gif
nezumi
I woke up at 5:30am, like a kid at Christmas, and couldn't get myself back to sleep. I ran downstairs and ... no news yet! Hopefully something will come through soon. Meanwhile, I feel like I'm forgetting something ...
CanRay
I wish I could have... The pitter-patter of little feet, the giggling in glee, the poking of my body as I try to sleep... "Go back to bed, Mom, Santa can still take the presents away."
cleggster

We had an all day Shadowrun Duels session at my FLGS to celebrate the return of the dragons and the walk out of Howling Coyote. And, strangely enough, a crashing on Mars. (What book mentions that? I don't recall.) I was doing well at first. But then somebody broke out Lothan the Wise and kicked my arse.

Welcome the the 6th world everybody.

And happy holidays.

Rasumichin
QUOTE (Link @ Dec 22 2011, 02:27 PM) *
I looked at SR2 out of interest and saw that UGE preceded Ryumyo's appearance on the 24th (maybe I had forgotten that part).

There's a bunch of other stuff preceding the Awakening as well.
The Shiawase decision, SAIM, the 60 Second War, the Black Flood, the first wave of VITAS, the groundwork for the founding of the Tirs and so on.
Most of this is mundane, but some geographic and climate changes had clear magical undertones, as well as other events such as the discovery of the century ferret.
SR's timeline starts diverging in 1989 (the year SR1 came out), there's a bunch of differences in the years prior to 2011.

It would be interesting to rewrite the setting using a timeline that's the same until Christmas 2011.
nezumi
I wouldn't mind going the other way, and rewrite it without terrorism, but with the Iron Curtain. I find that a much more enjoyable setting.
Snow_Fox
The interesting reconvergance would be from 9/11. The US did not start a war with Native Americans BUT there has been a noticable conflict with Arabs The US is better than mass ethnic internments-we learned that in WW2 BUt there is a growing anti-muslim senitment in the general population if not the legislature.

The development in the area of smart phones is a major jump towards the decking of 1st ed, remember when 1st ed came out a wrist phone was amazing, extra with a vid screen, now that's pretty darn standard well ahead of the SR time.

Lastly while the Euro wars are unlikely the economic turmoil in that region especially with the PIGS nations makes the chance of a major disruption of established economic patterns veyr likely.

line so...
CanRay
We don't have a webcam/cell phone that'll fit on a wrist yet. But only because people want Apps as well. wink.gif
KarmaInferno
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 26 2011, 10:00 AM) *
We don't have a webcam/cell phone that'll fit on a wrist yet. But only because people want Apps as well. wink.gif

You rang?

Scroll down to the bottom to see other models.

Something a little more discreet.

-k
CanRay
Well, as they're only *NOW* shipping to Canada, I can be excused for not knowing about them. nyahnyah.gif

That, and I can't afford to shop at Sears.
Rasumichin
QUOTE (tehana @ Dec 26 2011, 07:11 PM) *

OH DAMN SHIT JUST GOT REAL

Speaking of this guy, we have a really good example of how postponing the split in timelines to 12/24/11 would affect the setting.
Ryumyu is canonically kinda deranged to begin with.
He conducted metamagical experiments that already were kinda close to toxic magic, playing around with the Asian ley line equivalent until he caused the Ring of Fire to erupt.
What would it do to his already shaken morals if he awakened to a Japan that has accquired yet another irradiated toxic zone?

I'm not saying I dislike the official timeline.
I practically grew up playing in it, I hold SR's setting more dear than that of any other RPG, even the zany, wonky bits like the NAN and anarchist Berlin, but an alternate take considering things like that does have a lot of appeal to me, not only because of the possibility of having a toxic great dragon being worshipped as a kami.

There's a few bits that would actually work better now than they did from a late 1980s point of view, although they would take more time to develop.
What if SAIM would form in a time of increasing social unrest and heightened sensibilities to domestic terrorism in the US?
What if the first wave of VITAS was an awakened version of the bird flu?
What if an internet culture still vaguely obsessed with the zombie apocalypse would wittness the outbreak of the Krieger strain?
What if in an Iran where accusations of practicing black magic are already levied against the ruling class, magic would suddenly work?

In other areas, we'd have to take a step back in turn.
Like, the Tripolis hot zone, the Eurowars etc.

There's so much stuff to work with. It's kinda fascinating after getting a bottle of cabernet from Columbia Crest into you.
Snow_Fox
Interesting point. there haven't been many volcanoes activer BUT think of all the earth quackes in that region- Chile, New Zealand, as well as Japan
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012