Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Art That Makes You Think - Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
ravensmuse
The second page? For shame!

I'm a sucker for landscapes - and an even bigger sucker for urban exploration. So I saw this tonight and thought, "Shadowrun!"
CanRay
QUOTE (ravensmuse @ Jan 2 2012, 10:46 PM) *
So I saw this tonight and thought, "Shadowrun!"
I saw that tonight and got homesick.
ravensmuse
Large thanks to the wife for finding it smile.gif
Paul
The first link didn't work for me. It is funny how in some ways our visions of the world that is Shadowrun overlaps, and yet can still be vastly different in other areas. To me it's a sign of healthy setting.
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (Paul @ Jan 3 2012, 09:56 PM) *
The first link didn't work for me. It is funny how in some ways our visions of the world that is Shadowrun overlaps, and yet can still be vastly different in other areas. To me it's a sign of healthy setting.

I was having issues with it too. Tried to fix it again.

It is odd what different paths our visions take us. I'm sure a female perspective also turns things as well, at least one who tends to be interested by pop (and pulp) culture.
QUOTE (tehana @ Jan 3 2012, 09:55 PM) *
Photogtaphy=Art so here's a photo dump of stuff that's inspired me lately.

If Shadowrun weren't such a fantastical setting, I'd seriously consider moving a substantial portion of the art to photography, but...well, let's say early attempts weren't encouraging. I'd still like to find room for more of this; perhaps as an element in mixed media, if nothing else.

QUOTE (tehana @ Jan 3 2012, 09:55 PM) *

Is it just me, or does that sort of look like a TARDIS? I don't think I know more than one Doctor on sight; could that be one?

QUOTE (Paul @ Jan 3 2012, 09:56 PM) *
It is funny how in some ways our visions of the world that is Shadowrun overlaps, and yet can still be vastly different in other areas. To me it's a sign of healthy setting.

Yeah, I wouldn't have picked about half of that...which tells me that if I'm ever looking for art for Shadowrun, tehana is a good person to call, because Shadowrun doesn't look like I'd design it, any more than our whole existence does. If Shadowrun is going to look real, seem real, it has to include both "guys wearing functional black clothing" and "women with dresses made out of series of rings." I often forget that Shadowrun should be more radical than the most radical things we've seen, and considering our people, that's pretty radical. I'd definitely tap Prime Duchess's sense of dystopic cyberpunk aesthetic, as well: a lot of these images remind me of her vision of fashion design, as well.
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (3278 @ Jan 3 2012, 11:07 PM) *
Is it just me, or does that sort of look like a TARDIS? I don't think I know more than one Doctor on sight; could that be one?

I don't know! I'll have to poke my Dr Who friends. I don't think I've ever seen an episode, I'm a bad geek!
Bull
QUOTE (tehana @ Jan 6 2012, 09:42 PM) *
I don't know! I'll have to poke my Dr Who friends. I don't think I've ever seen an episode, I'm a bad geek!

I remember seeing a couple episodes when I was a kid of the OLD Dr. Who, and I caught an episode when it was first revived a handful of years ago. It didn't catch my attention then or now. So I'm a bad geek too smile.gif

Bull
CanRay
Nah, it's just that folks in the US have poor taste in excellent cinema. wink.gif
ShadowJackal
QUOTE (tehana @ Jan 7 2012, 02:42 AM) *

Tis Dr Who! Asked on facebook and got a reply within seconds. Oh the love of geek friends! 11th Doctor apparently. Off to Google!
ICPiK
Wow siberia under locations by kingjamesuk is pretty epic
ravensmuse
Some stuff dug up from around deviantart -

Dragons of the Sixth World

Dumpshock

Aztlan Warrior and Shaman.

The Matrix - This is basically our team techno, Bug.

Have another Matrix shot

Street Sammies - One, Two, Three, Four. And five, Heartbreaker.

Hackers! (which are surprisingly hard to find good images of) - One, Two, Three, Four

And to round it out, some landscapes -

Future Bombay

Sixth World Streets

Get a total Bug City vibe from this one.

Another random Sixth World street - pick out the references!

Robot Bartender

You can see what else I've got up on my favorites.
CanRay
I see you found Shortcake too! Or did I lead you to her?

I'm too lazy to post a bunch of stuff, just look at my Favs.
There's more Shadowrun in these few minutes than in any feature film I've yet seen. You have to look sideways to see it, but it's all there: living between the cracks, high tech and low life, the social engineering and the legwork, a small international community connected online, publicly and privately. It's strange: I've been doing this a couple decades now, and it's not until I saw this - from the outside looking in - that I made the connection.
ravensmuse
QUOTE (3278 @ Feb 4 2012, 08:01 PM) *
There's more Shadowrun in these few minutes than in any feature film I've yet seen. You have to look sideways to see it, but it's all there: living between the cracks, high tech and low life, the social engineering and the legwork, a small international community connected online, publicly and privately. It's strange: I've been doing this a couple decades now, and it's not until I saw this - from the outside looking in - that I made the connection.

I love love love urban exploration, though I'm not the kind of person that could actually go out and do it indifferent.gif I have a thing about heights and about wading through muck high water. Just my thing, I guess.

But I've linked to good stuff for it before, like -

Infiltration.org - Where I first started learning about UrbEx.
The Australian Cave Clan - Aussie based sewer delvers.
Ruins of a Forbidden City - Japanese UrbEx. Over there it's called haikyo ("abandoned place"). This guys blog is amazing.
From the same writer, exploring the Paris Catacombs.
(And this is the best Paris Catacombs story - Underground Movie Theater discovered in Paris Catacombs. Done by these folks.)

And if you're into this, you may be into the graffitti scene too. The best movie for that, bar none, is Exit Through the Gift Shop, by Banksy. Though we're still trying to decide if its Banksy's attempt to epic troll, or if the movie just is that surreal.

Seriously Mike
Ladies and Gentlemen, Aztlan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012