Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fencing things in the Shadows
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Seven Deadly SINs
Just wondering how most GM's work with fencing equipment. My team and I recently came across a shipment of stuff which included 12 Ingram Super Mach 100's which are 850 nuyen, Availibility 9 and street index 3. How much should we expect to get through our normal fixer/arms dealer contacts?
Nikoli
I believe 30% of street indexed price is base, with negotioations altering that based on GM discretion, but usually never above 50% of street index price.
Seven Deadly SINs
Hmmm, Maybe we should invest in a gun shop......
Nikoli
Pawn shops work well as well, since they tend to pay even less.
blakkie
QUOTE (Seven Deadly SINs)
Hmmm, Maybe we should invest in a gun shop......

Not sure you want to do that. You certainly wouldn't want to if your GM is a Rat Bastard™. I'll name off the top 6 reasons that instantly come to mind for me:

1. "Insurance Premiums" paid to local racketeer.
2. Security to keep your place from getting robbed.
3. Your place getting knocked over anyway.
4. Limited number of [legally permitted] customers.
5. Getting nailed by [insert law enforcement agency here] for selling to non-permited customers.
6. Getting firebombed by competitors engaging in a little "friendly competition".

That is just for starters. Heaven help you if you have a Creative Rat Bastard™ GM. cyber.gif
Zazen
In my game it is 30% of the base price. Street index is for black market professionals to pay the rent, IMO.
Connor
But you could always do a small little deal with your local gang looking for some firepower... Just don't let the syndicates know about it...heh.
Lindt
Screw that, find a local syndicate and sell it to them! Provided its not something from another group like that.
mfb
i can't understand why people don't apply street index when selling loot. you're still selling it on the street; that's what street index is. fixers already get a 70% return on their investment; i so no reason to jack this up even higher. otherwise, nobody would ever sell anything--better to keep it around just in case it's needed.
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
i can't understand why people don't apply street index when selling loot. you're still selling it on the street; that's what street index is. fixers already get a 70% return on their investment; i so no reason to jack this up even higher. otherwise, nobody would ever sell anything--better to keep it around just in case it's needed.

A fixer has a lot of overhead! There is all that pizza, nova-coke, and BTLs. Plus last time i checked the SR prostitute tables they weren't giving their services away.

smokin.gif

Seriously though, hanging on to goods is exactly what the fixer does. So the PCs can either hang onto those 10! weapons till they find a buyer for each one and make something close to fixer profits (after expenses), or move them out at rock bottom prices. This is the way fences work IRL. *shrug*
mfb
i dunno about you, but i consider selling something for 30% of what i'd pay for it pretty close to "rock bottom".
Siege
Or break the weapons down, drop them in long-term storage for a "just in case" scenario.

You might consider exploring a barter system with interested parties.

-Siege
FlakJacket
Trades, barter or sale can also lead to little adventures as well. Nothing like going out to some meet with Ivan the Russian to swap a bag full of guns for a bag full of cash or cred at the handover. smile.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (mfb)
i dunno about you, but i consider selling something for 30% of what i'd pay for it pretty close to "rock bottom".

You are equating your regular life experiences with selling stolen goods in bulk. I'm guessing/hoping the two are not the same. wink.gif

Seven Deadly SINs
Hell my character is a gun bunny so if we don't get a descent amount i'll keep all the firepower for myself! cyber.gif
Veracusse
Keeping them for yourself is the best option if you don't want to sell them for rock bottom prices. But what happens when your characters pad is full of guns, illegally acquired guns too. And suppose that some federal law peopls show up to your place and want to look around, if you already moved the guns on the street it would be difficult for them to trace them to you. But if they are lying around somewhere easy to find you might end up in some trouble. My point is, having a lot of hot items lying around in bulk is not very smart, and you will atract a lot of unwanted attention, especially when you try and sell them on the streets yourself.

Likewise, the bigger no-no is cutting out the middle man. And this time the middle man is your fixer, or fence. People who work the streets don't like to loose money, or be cut out of deals. So there will be repercussions comming to you from that end as well, especially if you sell in bulk.

Anyway, the items were acquird illegally and at relatively no monetary cost to you, at least that is what the other end will suppose. So 30% of market price is considered rather fair to them. Plus who in their right mind is going to buy guns on the street from some wannabe fixer, when they can go throught their propper channels and buy the guns from the real fixer. The latter offers a bit more insurance and less risk. Very important on the streets.

Veracusse
Smiley
QUOTE (mfb)

I agree with that. I know players aren't going to be able to sell something for as much as it costs when going thru the proper channels, but 30% is reeeeally low. Ferinstance, last night i acquired a couple AZ-150 stun batons from Wolverine security. ( nuyen.gif 1500, SI 2) With the 30% rule, something that would cost me at least nuyen.gif 3000 is going to net me around one G each? Does this seem a little lopsided to anyone else?
Moon-Hawk
Actually, when you put it that way, it sounds almost generous.
You're getting about a G, as you say, for something that the fixer could use one of his many rating 8 credsticks to go down to the store and buy for only 1500 nuyen.gif .
Smiley
I guess we just have different definitions of generous. But i see your point.
Nikoli
Remember that oft ignored skill Negotiation, time to dust that off for teh fence. 30% is rock bottom, but it can be raised.
Smiley
In little 5% increments, depending on successes, etc.
Siege
Every little bit helps.

Although you'd better be pretty skilled at negotiating -- because the fixer will be and bargaining goes both ways.

-Siege
Spark
Well, if it's big enough, say a vehicle or a minigun etc. 5% ain't exactly bad is it. However I see your poin. What I usually do is keep anything rare and then give them dirt cheap to my important contacts, builds favorable attitudes dontcha know.
Smiley
It does help to grease the wheels, but all i'm saying is that it would be nice to be able to decide to give the item in question away for dirt cheap prices and not have the dirt cheap prices thrust upon me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012