Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RL ortho skin!
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
OneTrikPony
Hey. They finally made ortho skin! biggrin.gif
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/201...s-a-bullet.html

The vid makes it very apparent that ortho skin can only do so much. Looks like you end up with a wound cavity even if it doesn't pierce the skin. OUCH!

It's awesome that the silk was made from transgenic goats in my home town, Go UTES!
Draco18s
Think it's been posted before, or at least, I've seen a (similar) video and such.
Christian Lafay
It has and I still wonder how effective this would be. While the bullet SHOULDN'T penetrate the skin you still have a high velocity impact going in as far as your skin gives way, before tumbling out. But then I wonder how the spider silk skin can be seemless. Imagine you have a skin graft of this stuff all the way around your forearm. The first shot in the video makes me think the bullet would go through your arm, the skin would rip at the seems, and then peel from your body as a now caped bullet flies out of your arm. I hope this technology goes somewhere but as for now it still worries me. Wonder if it will be able to be combined with that skin graft spray gun...
Draco18s
This probably going to be one of those things where it keeps you from dying, and you can get rushed to a hospital, and be OK, rather than outright dead.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jan 30 2012, 08:16 PM) *
This probably going to be one of those things where it keeps you from dying, and you can get rushed to a hospital, and be OK, rather than outright dead.

IRL bullets dont kill instantly. As a general rule of thumb, if you dont bleed out in 5 minutes you'll be fine. Even headshots arent even 50% lethal, thats why the gangsters of the 20s shot people in the head TWICE.
noonesshowmonkey
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Jan 30 2012, 08:19 PM) *
IRL bullets dont kill instantly. As a general rule of thumb, if you dont bleed out in 5 minutes you'll be fine. Even headshots arent even 50% lethal, thats why the gangsters of the 20s shot people in the head TWICE.

And once in the throat / heart.

biggrin.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Jan 30 2012, 08:19 PM) *

So it reduces it to 25% lethal. I fail to see how my comment was irrelevant. 9.9
Method
QUOTE (Starmage21 @ Jan 30 2012, 07:19 PM) *
IRL bullets dont kill instantly. As a general rule of thumb, if you dont bleed out in 5 minutes you'll be fine.
If that's the case, then there is quite a spectrum of conditions that qualify as "fine" most of which I would not enjoy.

---------------------

The elasticity of spider silk has always been a barrier to its use in ballistic armor. Stopping a bullet isnt much good if the vest just deforms through your body. In effect this stuff would just turn a gun shot wound from penetrating trauma to blunt trauma. I think you would see the kinds of injury patterns we see with high energy blunt mechanisms like car crashes or falls. Bleeding from a shattered liver is still bleeding.
Wounded Ronin
QUOTE (OneTrikPony @ Jan 30 2012, 05:09 PM) *
Hey. They finally made ortho skin! biggrin.gif
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/201...s-a-bullet.html

The vid makes it very apparent that ortho skin can only do so much. Looks like you end up with a wound cavity even if it doesn't pierce the skin. OUCH!

It's awesome that the silk was made from transgenic goats in my home town, Go UTES!

It only stops cold loaded rounds? So it's helpful if you ever plan on getting shot at by USPSA players running race guns and down loaded handloads and LRN bullets.
OneTrikPony
Yep it's just like SR orthoskin. It only helps if you're allready wearing a vest.
Daylen
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jan 30 2012, 11:15 PM) *
It has and I still wonder how effective this would be. While the bullet SHOULDN'T penetrate the skin you still have a high velocity impact going in as far as your skin gives way, before tumbling out. But then I wonder how the spider silk skin can be seemless. Imagine you have a skin graft of this stuff all the way around your forearm. The first shot in the video makes me think the bullet would go through your arm, the skin would rip at the seems, and then peel from your body as a now caped bullet flies out of your arm. I hope this technology goes somewhere but as for now it still worries me. Wonder if it will be able to be combined with that skin graft spray gun...

Did you read it? It only stopped half power pistol bullets, full power loads went right through.
Christian Lafay
QUOTE (Daylen @ Jan 31 2012, 10:46 PM) *
Did you read it? It only stopped half power pistol bullets, full power loads went right through.

Aye, but I'm thinking down the road when it can actually be applied. And buckshot.
Daylen
QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Feb 1 2012, 12:17 AM) *
Aye, but I'm thinking down the road when it can actually be applied. And buckshot.

Buckshot penetrates better than most people think at proper distances. Of course, as others have reminded us, Orthoskin is not body armor and is only useful when body armor is used.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012