Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Skills Over 6
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Tashiro
So, when you summon a spirit, it will have skill ranks equal to it's Force. This makes me wonder though - if the spirit has skills of 6+ (from summoning, say, a Force 8 spirit), what the heck does the spirit know, and what can it teach to someone? I'm picturing a free spirit with Instruction 8 and a handful of skills that it can teach someone.
Udoshi
I'm pretty sure that a spirit could only teach people as high as their potential allows: To their own maximum.

However, a spirit with a skill at 7 would make a really awesome justification for picking up Aptitude in play.

'Yeah, i learned to fence like this from the ghost of ZORRO. '
Machiavelli
Right...i could summon a spirit that could teach me various lessons in every skill it possesses. Never thought about it. Saves an instructor. Cool idea, stolen.^^
Udoshi
Instruction allows Defaulting, so yeah, you're good.
Machiavelli
Do spirits also have a skillcap at 9?
bobbaganoosh
I don't see why spirits would have a skillcap at 9. They have skill ranks equal to Force. If Force is 12, then the spirit will have a skill at 12.
Machiavelli
Muahahaha....geil (german for "cool"). This means from now on i will stick even more to a strict magical lifestyle. No contact to mere mundanes anymore. Yeah.^^
Stahlseele
And the Ghost of Bill Gates teaches you Computerhacking Skill at level 4 . .
pbangarth
Instruction is a Social Skill. How would a spirit have it?
NiL_FisK_Urd
get an ally spirit, give it instruction.
phlapjack77
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Feb 3 2012, 04:33 PM) *
Muahahaha....geil (german for "cool"). This means from now on i will stick even more to a strict magical lifestyle. No contact to mere mundanes anymore. Yeah.^^

A few days ago a German guy taught me that geil can also mean something not-so-nice, so saying "Du bist sehr geil" could be taken one of two ways? I forget the specifics...
phlapjack77
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 3 2012, 06:27 PM) *
Instruction is a Social Skill. How would a spirit have it?

I guess this trick works best for Tutor Sprites, not spirits? Then it goes all GITS and e-ghosts and stuff smile.gif
Irion
Yeah, Free Spirits. The open end power in Shadowrun...

So yeah, vampire has some wuffy fluffy clan founders, Shadowrun may have the spirit of the beard of chuck norris...
Manunancy
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 3 2012, 11:16 AM) *
And the Ghost of Bill Gates teaches you Computerhacking Skill at level 4 . .

and 'computercrashing' at 12...
Machiavelli
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Feb 3 2012, 12:11 PM) *
A few days ago a German guy taught me that geil can also mean something not-so-nice, so saying "Du bist sehr geil" could be taken one of two ways? I forget the specifics...
Correct. Originally "geil" was a term for being happy, exhaustive etc. but (of course) it changed itīs meaning over time and in everydays language it is now a synonym for "horny" (e.g. related to a good looking woman) or "aroused". But mainly it is used, if you want to say that something is very good or cool.
phlapjack77
Cool - thanks for the info smile.gif
Machiavelli
You are welcome. If you ever come to germany i can teach you some really interesting words related to alcohol and drugs. ^^
Silverback
I know it is slightly OT, but I thought the original meaning of "geil" was "horny". And the "cool" meaning evolved in the 1980s. Because of this, many old people were offended by its usage.
Machiavelli
If "originally" means beginning of the 19th century you are correct. But with originally i was talking about ancient times german.^^ Check wikipedia for it. I also heard that it basically was a term of the hunters-language related to wild-pigs, but i couldnīt find a source as i looked for it. So, NOW we are finally completely off-topic.^^
Stahlseele
Geil can mean hot too.
Machiavelli
But you are not talking about the german "heiss" (hot, in the sense of high temperature) you are talking about "hot" in sense of "horny//attractive", arentīt you?
Stahlseele
Yep.
Bin geil==(i) am horny.
Die ist geil==she is hot.
Geiles Auto==cool car.
Pizza ist heiss==Pizza is hot.
Geile Pizza==Tasty Pizza.
Machiavelli
"Geil" is the german version of the english "fuck". It can mean everything and fits everywhere.^^
Stahlseele
More or less. Aside from geil usually not meaning anything bad.
Machiavelli
Yeah, it is difficult to use "geil" in a negative way. Even if you say "du geile sau" it means that you are a hot *insert gender*. ^^
Irion
"Geil" is the german word for horny.

Yes, in youth language it is sometimes used as a synonyme for "great" "cool" and similar.

I would however not use it freely, because it is quite important to know in which context to use it and in which it is understood...
Draco18s
QUOTE (phlapjack77 @ Feb 3 2012, 06:11 AM) *

That translates to "You are very horny." (yay google)
I'm guessing that "geil" might be a slang term in one direction or another.

Edit:

Zaaah!

German Friend: geil has two meanings
Friend: sexually attractive or fat
Friend: though it's also slang for "cool" or "nice"
Irion
@Draco18s
The phrase phlapjack77 is using is means something like: "Oh, you are so great!" (IRONY)

Thats why it is a word I would not use if I am not a native speaker. Like I would never use the word "fuck" in america..
You mostly just lack the idea when it is OK to say it.

Here the sentance:
Das ist aber "geil"!
Is used to say: Thats great!
Or it can be used to say: Thats fucked up!
Draco18s
QUOTE (Irion @ Feb 3 2012, 03:44 PM) *
@Draco18s
The phrase phlapjack77 is using is means something like: "Oh, you are so great!" (IRONY)

Thats why it is a word I would not use if I am not a native speaker. Like I would never use the word "fuck" in america..
You mostly just lack the idea when it is OK to say it.

I asked a native speaker about it, so I'll take his word for it.
German friend: "Du bist sehr geil" definitely means that he's sexually attracted to you
Irion
@Draco18s
It depends, "du bist sehr geil" as "I am secually attracted to you" I have never heard in my life.
It is more often used as "Du bist ja sehr geil" meaning "You are an idiot".
Draco18s
QUOTE (Irion @ Feb 3 2012, 03:55 PM) *
@Draco18s
It depends, "du bist sehr geil" as "I am secually attracted to you" I have never heard in my life.
It is more often used as "Du bist ja sehr geil" meaning "You are an idiot".

Hey, all I'm doing is copy and pasting from the forum.

Google says that "Du bist ja sehr geil" is "you are very cool" which jives with the slang usage of the world "geil."
Stahlseele
Yep, geil is one of the most contextualized words in german i think . .
It can mean almost anything . .
Draco18s
I'm still trying to work out how a word that can either mean "sexually attractive" or "fat" also ends up meaning "cool."

Unless it's one of those "large people are sexually attractive" (at one time in history) things and then the "That's phat!"* usage in slang.

Language is weird.

*Alternate spelling used to insure proper meaning.
Stahlseele
Geil NEVER means FAT . . PHAT it might possibly mean though . .
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 3 2012, 05:31 PM) *
Geil NEVER means FAT . . PHAT it might possibly mean though . .

*Shrug* German friend of mine said it did.
Stahlseele
I happen to be german, and i never, ever, heard it being used like that . .
lunavoco
Of all the RPGs I play, only SR has such a large portion of the community made of fans outside of the US.

Any good reason for this?

Does SR have fewer non-english boards so we all pile here?

It's made for a richer experience here, but it's still curious.
Irion
@Stahlseele
I guess they are talking about Fett used as good, great.
Stahlseele
Ah, that one . . yeah, that would fit again . .
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Feb 3 2012, 05:39 PM) *
I happen to be german, and i never, ever, heard it being used like that . .

Not doubting you. Was just saying.
Irion
And this is why you should never use "slang" as a non-native-speaker.
You have a 20% change to use it wrong and you have a 50% chance, that the people you are talking to hate this kind of "slang"...
Machiavelli
Yeah, but "geil" is quite harmless in comparison to "mejo" in the chinese language. This one can mean from "how are you" to "insert most insulting word" everything, depending on the intonation.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Feb 6 2012, 04:50 AM) *
depending on the intonation.

Intonation differentiates most words in Chinese. As far as the Chinese are concerned, they're different words.
Machiavelli
But most of the time with less massive possible consequences. ^^
Neraph
Fascinating.
Machiavelli
Indeed. German might not sound very nice, but it is incredibly flexible.
pbangarth
I guess the context determines which meaning is most germane.
Stahlseele
oi!
i'd demand for you to deposit 5 bucks into the pun jar, but that one was actually clever ^^
Manunancy
It can be affected by where in germany tou are - Germany has been really unified in late 19th century, which means the local dialects can linger around (mass media tends to put them to an end, but dialects tends to be though critters as long as they're interfertile with mainstream language*).

Menaing that as long as the dialect speaker can understand the mainstream language and vice-versa, speaking the dialect has an easier time clinging to existence.

Faraday
I'd just like to point out that this thread has taken a bit of an unexpected turn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012