Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Question about turning a magician into a vampire
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
The Wrestling Troll
Hi everyone!

I was looking at the rules of becoming a vampire through the HMHVV-I Infection. There it says that a character falls into a coma after getting infected and then turns into the appropriate infected form. After the transformation he has 1 Essence and 1 Magic Attribute.

So what happens if I, lets say a char with magic 6, and he turns into a vampire?
Will he still be a magician? will he also lose his magic 6 attribute and has to buy it with karma back to 6? Does he remember his spells? What happens to Initiate grades?

So many questions but I found no answer to them smile.gif
Hope you guys can clear that stuff for me!
Neraph
1) A Magic 6 Character that becomes a vampire is now a vampire magician with Magic 1.

2) Yes.

3) Yes. Don't forget you can use Essence Drain to fuel your Magic.

4) Yes.

5) Interesting question. I would say he doesn't lose any but cannot Initiate again until your Magic his higher than your Initiate Grade. The game says you can't have Initiate Grade higher than Magic but IIRC it has no rules about losing Initiate Grades if your Magic is lowered.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 30 2012, 10:38 AM) *
1) A Magic 6 Character that becomes a vampire is now a vampire magician with Magic 1.

2) Yes.

3) Yes. Don't forget you can use Essence Drain to fuel your Magic.

4) Yes.

5) Interesting question. I would say he doesn't lose any but cannot Initiate again until your Magic his higher than your Initiate Grade. The game says you can't have Initiate Grade higher than Magic but IIRC it has no rules about losing Initiate Grades if your Magic is lowered.

The way the infected work by RAW really bones the SHIAT out of a PC character magician who is infected during play. Basically every time he loses essence, he loses a point of magic, until he hits 0 essence and falls into a coma. Technically, he's a burnout at that point unless his magic was higher than 6. Then the infection begins the transformation process and he wakes up with 1 essence, and 1 magic. Since he never lost the magician quality, all of his initiations are there, and his ability to cast spells are "back". Now he must begin the arduous process of buying his magic back up with Karma.

IIRC someone who had a hand in the design of the infected rules said something by the way of meaning that you shouldnt bone your magician PCs so hard because they wanted to keep their character after infection, and they wake up with full magic, but must do everything they can do get their essence back up to the proper amount to support their magic. I cant remember where I heard it, or if they changed the rules a bit in Running Wild.
Mirilion
Page 77 of the runner's companion.

An infected with essence loss has a [maximum magic attribute] of [current essence]+[initiation rank]
If [maximum magic attribute] is lower than [magic], [magic] is lost and must be repurchased with Karma.

So if your mage has 1 essence and initiate rank 5, he doesn't lose anything.

It seems initiation rank isn't lost, otherwise that would be silly. It also says nothing about losing spells.
Sephiroth
It was adjusted in Running Wild, though.

HMHVV I (Ghilani vrykolakiviridae )
If the test fails, the character falls into a coma for (30 – Body)
hours as his body transforms. When the character awakens, he has
lost all Resonance and technomancer abilities, has acquired the appropriate
Infected (Banshee, Dzoo-noo-qua, Goblin, Nosferatu,
Vampire, or Wendigo) Quality (see Positive Infected Qualities,
p. 79, Runner’s Companion), and has an Essence of 1 and Magic of
1 (or retains her own Magic attribute, if higher) .

That's on pg 68 of Running Wild.
darthmord
It sounds as though the conversion rules were written for a no Magic character / NPC becoming an Infected. Thus they gain the Magic 1.

It would also make sense to NOT bone your PC(s) as they do have to pay for that Infected quality with karma. Paying for that and to raise Magic back up is rather unfair even with the advantages of being Infected.
Starmage21
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Mar 30 2012, 12:12 PM) *

That's on pg 68 of Running Wild.

Thanks, Seph. That certainly helps clear up the rules as intended.
snowRaven
QUOTE (Sephiroth @ Mar 30 2012, 07:12 PM) *

...except that may contradict the rules of magic being lost if maximum magic is lower than magic...by the rules, you'd be at no higher Magic than 1+Initiate Grade when you wake up as infected.

(So if you had Magic 6, and no initiate grades, you would have magic 1 when you wake up - If you had magic 6 and 4 initiate grades, you'd be at magic 5)
Neraph
QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 30 2012, 04:12 PM) *
...except that may contradict the rules of magic being lost if maximum magic is lower than magic...by the rules, you'd be at no higher Magic than 1+Initiate Grade when you wake up as infected.

(So if you had Magic 6, and no initiate grades, you would have magic 1 when you wake up - If you had magic 6 and 4 initiate grades, you'd be at magic 5)

True. A good House-Rule would be to give a new vampire one hour to get his Essence up to where it needs to be. The Test is with like a 1 minute interval, so 1 hour is more than enough time to feed.
tim
Where does it say you go to Essence 1? As far as I can see, you just LOSE 1 Essence, not go to 1 Essence. At least thats how it is for starting off as infected from Runners Companion.

Magic and Essence
Starting Infected characters start with Essence 5 and Magic 1
during character generation. The Infected may increase their Magic
attribute with BP or Karma as any other attribute to a maximum
of 5 (+ initiate grade). Magic is used for any tests involving the
Infected’s innate powers. If an Infected character’s Magic attribute
is reduced to 0 (temporarily or permanently), it loses the use of all
its powers except Natural Weapon and Enhanced Senses, if any.

Hamsnibit
That are the starting rules for infecteds. We are dealing with an infection during gameplay here.
tim
QUOTE (Hamsnibit @ Mar 31 2012, 03:03 PM) *
That are the starting rules for infecteds. We are dealing with an infection during gameplay here.

Book/Page Number?

EDIT: I just thought of this. Seeing as not all of the Infected are Born-Infected, which means that the infected quality typically would mean you were transformed, why does Starting as an infected character have a different stat adjustment than getting infected during play? That is either wrong (Pretty likely), or in definite need of a houserule if that IS how it works by RAW.
Hamsnibit
QUOTE (tim @ Mar 31 2012, 09:08 PM) *
Book/Page Number?

QUOTE (The Wrestling Troll @ Mar 30 2012, 02:23 PM) *
I was looking at the rules of becoming a vampire through the HMHVV-I Infection. There it says that a character falls into a coma after getting infected and then turns into the appropriate infected form. After the transformation he has 1 Essence and 1 Magic Attribute.

HMHVV 1 infecteds are infertile as the virus carries over and the embryo stops aging, it has already been discussed a few times over in various threads here. p.77 RC black box

Starting characters already lived their life for a couple of years, yes setting their starting essence to 5 is a bit arbitrary but its a flowing number anyway so where exactly your problem?
Yerameyahu
Chargen is different for… basically everything. That's just the way it is. As far as I'm concerned, Infected aren't PC-valid in the first place.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 31 2012, 02:39 PM) *
Chargen is different for… basically everything. That's just the way it is. As far as I'm concerned, Infected aren't PC-valid in the first place.

Cannot be said enough... smile.gif
Yerameyahu
But, if you do want to, the GM should be prepared to get hands-on about it. If the rules don't make sense to the GM/group, definitely tweak them. If your group thinks being drained down by a vampire *should* burn out your magic, just do that; if you think magic makes it through unscathed, just declare that it does.
Neraph
QUOTE (tim @ Mar 31 2012, 03:08 PM) *
Book/Page Number?

EDIT: I just thought of this. Seeing as not all of the Infected are Born-Infected, which means that the infected quality typically would mean you were transformed, why does Starting as an infected character have a different stat adjustment than getting infected during play? That is either wrong (Pretty likely), or in definite need of a houserule if that IS how it works by RAW.

How about the Infection In Play section of Runner's Companion, page 82? It's not "wrong" to have different stats (I think you're referencing the Essence difference) if the rules actually say chargen Infected follow the chargen rules and people who are Infected follow the In Game Infected rules.

QUOTE (Hamsnibit @ Mar 31 2012, 03:18 PM) *
HMHVV 1 infecteds are infertile as the virus carries over and the embryo stops aging, it has already been discussed a few times over in various threads here. p.77 RC black box

Starting characters already lived their life for a couple of years, yes setting their starting essence to 5 is a bit arbitrary but its a flowing number anyway so where exactly your problem?

Um.. Care to provide a page reference (in Shadowrun rules, not in Anne Rice novels or something)?

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 31 2012, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 31 2012, 03:44 PM) *
Cannot be said enough... smile.gif

TJ and Yera... Opinion. I happen to greatly favor them.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 31 2012, 07:49 PM) *
TJ and Yera... Opinion. I happen to greatly favor them.

Neraph... Opinion. I hate them with a Passion.
However, your preferences for overpowered characters is well documented and known... smile.gif
Sephiroth
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 31 2012, 09:42 PM) *
Neraph... Opinion. I hate them with a Passion.
However, your preferences for overpowered characters is well documented and known... smile.gif

That doesn't mean that yours and Yera's isn't also an opinion. Just pointing that out. Neraph is not the only one who likes/has little problem with Infected PCs.
Yerameyahu
Never said it wasn't an opinion. smile.gif That's what 'as far as I'm concerned' means.
The Wrestling Troll
I don't see the problem in having players play an Infected character.
When things get out of Hand you can always send bounty hunters after the infected since many research lab offer great rewards for living specimen like a nosferatu smile.gif

If a player wants to powergame the shit out of it, then he has to live with the consequences of his street creds. An almighty powerfull vampire is rather fast in getting into the spotlight of mad scientists nyahnyah.gif
Lantzer
Heh. A PC in the group got infected?

Pity. He was a freind. Well, nothing for it. I'm not keeping a bloodsucking inhuman leech around who knows who I am and where I live. And there's that nice bounty on them. Sounds like a win/win to off him.

Expanded version of "Never cut a deal with a dragon" : "Never trust an immortal magical creature that views you as an hors d'oeuvre."
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Lantzer @ Apr 1 2012, 06:20 AM) *

Pity. He was a freind. Well, nothing for it. I'm not keeping a bloodsucking inhuman leech around who knows who I am and where I live. And there's that nice bounty on them. Sounds like a win/win to off him.

Expanded version of "Never cut a deal with a dragon" : "Never trust an immortal magical creature that views you as an hors d'oeuvre."

Indeed... smile.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (Lantzer @ Apr 1 2012, 07:20 AM) *

You'd be surprised what Nutrition can do these days...
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 1 2012, 07:51 AM) *
You'd be surprised what Nutrition can do these days...

Absolutely Nothing for the Dietary Requirement Restriction...
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 1 2012, 09:06 AM) *
Absolutely Nothing for the Dietary Requirement Restriction...

Says where? Nutrition gives your body what it needs to survive - dietary requirement simply changes what you need to survive. The magic of Nutrition provides it regardless of what it is. The spell works equally well on herbivores, carnivores, vegans, and ghouls.

EDIT:

QUOTE (Dietary Requirement, SR4A, page 298)
The critter must consume a certain type of unique substance at a regular interval to sustain its life.

QUOTE (Nutrition, Street Magic, page 170)
The Nutrition spell provides a voluntary target with nourishment, allowing them to live off pure mana.

So basically if you don't eat whatever Dietary Requirement you have you die, but if you cast Nutrition you live.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 1 2012, 08:09 AM) *
Says where? Nutrition gives your body what it needs to survive - dietary requirement simply changes what you need to survive. The magic of Nutrition provides it regardless of what it is. The spell works equally well on herbivores, carnivores, vegans, and ghouls.

I Disagree... smile.gif

Here is the relevant Text...

QUOTE (Dietary Requirements)
Studies suggest
that HMHVV-positive individuals must consume at least 1 percent of their body weight of appropriate biomaterial each week or begin to suffer the effects of malnutrition. This dietary requirement is due to a combination of natural and paranatural requirements: the physical digestive systems of the HMHVV infected are specialized or mutated by their transformation; vampires and banshees in particular lack most of the symbiotic bacteria that break down food and must subsist entirely on blood. All Infected show a distinct carnivorous preference in their diet.
In addition to these physical requirements, the peculiar Awakened nature of the Infected requires the living energies of a metahuman aura in their food for optimum health, and sometimes large influxes of mana siphoned directly from the aura of a living metahuman or other sapient creature; these are believed to be essential sustenance for the virus itself.

Sorry, but Pure Mana cannot satisfy this requirement.
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 1 2012, 09:11 AM) *
I Disagree... smile.gif

You can disagree, but that's what the rules say.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 1 2012, 08:15 AM) *
You can disagree, but that's what the rules say.

No they do not... See my above Ninja Edit... smile.gif

It is a Magical Effect, That I do not agree allows Magic to bypass. Even Regeneration does not help. If you do not consume your requisite meat/blood, you will eventually atrophy and die. Simple as that. If a simple spell would solve the issue, it would already be solved, rather than Megacorps expending Billions of dollars trying to develop ANOTHER SPELL to turn animal meat into a viable substitute.
Yerameyahu
Exactly: RAW doesn't matter if it's wrong.
darthmord
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Apr 1 2012, 11:41 AM) *
Exactly: RAW doesn't matter if it's wrong.

Actually, RAW does matter even if it is wrong.

If RAW *IS* wrong, then it needs errata to make it right.

As for what Neraph is suggesting, per RAW the spell takes take of the consumption portion of the dietary requirement (that being the flesh or blood requirement). The Essence portion however is still not covered. There is no prior example of raw Mana taking the place of Essence for anything. If it were, the spell would be horribly unbalancing.

I am also of the opinion that many of the source books need some revision (along with the main book) to ensure that all the additions are in-line with the core rules and that the core rules have adjustments made to ensure any addons do not make things unbalanced or wonky.
Yerameyahu
Errata is needed, but not necessary. smile.gif We know from all the fluff that Infected requirements are a pressing and unsolved issue, so a simple spell can't do it. Until there's errata, there's no need to deliberately hurt yourself instead of just houseruling the fix. This is the case whenever the RAW is wrong.
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 1 2012, 10:17 AM) *
No they do not... See my above Ninja Edit... smile.gif

It is a Magical Effect, That I do not agree allows Magic to bypass. Even Regeneration does not help. If you do not consume your requisite meat/blood, you will eventually atrophy and die. Simple as that. If a simple spell would solve the issue, it would already be solved, rather than Megacorps expending Billions of dollars trying to develop ANOTHER SPELL to turn animal meat into a viable substitute.

Quote all the fluff in the world you want, the RAW is what matters, and the RAW allows it. Go look at the RAW for the Weakness and then the RAW for the spell (hint: I provided them for you just a few posts ago) - there is nothing about some intangible spiritual necessity for the Dietary Requirement; in fact, in places the fluff is wrong (like how much the Infected need to consume for their Requirement) - you need only concern yourself with the actual rules.

QUOTE (darthmord @ Apr 1 2012, 08:50 PM) *
Actually, RAW does matter even if it is wrong.

If RAW *IS* wrong, then it needs errata to make it right.

As for what Neraph is suggesting, per RAW the spell takes take of the consumption portion of the dietary requirement (that being the flesh or blood requirement). The Essence portion however is still not covered. There is no prior example of raw Mana taking the place of Essence for anything. If it were, the spell would be horribly unbalancing.

I am also of the opinion that many of the source books need some revision (along with the main book) to ensure that all the additions are in-line with the core rules and that the core rules have adjustments made to ensure any addons do not make things unbalanced or wonky.

There is no Essence requirement for Dietary Requirement. There is only an Essence requirement if you happen to have the Essence Loss weakness. Dietary Requirement is something altogether different, and as I've mentioned it works exactly as I've said it does.
Yerameyahu
smile.gif The RAW is not what matters. It just means the writers screwed up (shock!).
Neraph
Until it is Errata'd it is a Rule As Written. Until such a time as the fabric of the game is changed to disallow it, it is perfectly legal.
Yerameyahu
I don't recall saying otherwise. I said that RAW doesn't *matter* when it's wrong (which, as you know, is relatively often). If there were a typo in the RAW that gave PCs 4000BP instead of 400, it wouldn't make it okay; if some writer snuck in a line that said all humans can fly like Superman, it'd still be incorrect. The book is riddled with broken rules, and that doesn't mean anyone has to actually follow them.

Removing the vampire sunlight weakness as an Allergy is only slightly less bad, while we're at it. wink.gif
snowRaven
The kicker here is if you consider the stuff in the dietary requirement as nourishment. It's a weakness, after all - the creature needs token amounts of some substance, often in addition to normal food, to survive.

Nutrition only provides the body with nourishment, not whatever else it may need.

If you injected a being with a poison that required you eat a certain substance every 4 hours or die, would you say Nutrition let's that person live, just because it allows him to live off of pure mana? I don't.

QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 2 2012, 05:54 AM) *
Until it is Errata'd it is a Rule As Written. Until such a time as the fabric of the game is changed to disallow it, it is perfectly legal.

Straight from Dietary Requirement: "Without the specified requirement in its diet, the critter eventually sickens and dies."

Note how it doesn't say 'starve' without it -

Nutrition: "This spell prevents starvation and dehydration, but it does have its down side" - not becoming sick.

So by RAW, you are wrong.
Irion
Infected are like the free spirit gaining 200 Karma a week. The rules suggest it is possible but the rules just fail at this point. Totally!

Nobody has anybody though of PC spirits using Karma Pacts (I guess nobody even though what gaining Karma via pact actually gives the free spirit...)

And the infected and there way of handeling essence loos was never thought about either. (Or they wouldn't have to write special rules for them! With which they can now take ware and without loss of magic.)
Sengir
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 1 2012, 03:09 PM) *
Says where? Nutrition gives your body what it needs to survive

Maybe you should read the rules you yourself quoted again: Nutrition provides nourishment but it is not described as providing oxygen, vital medication, or any other "certain type of unique substance" which an individual might need to survive.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 30 2012, 04:39 PM) *
True. A good House-Rule would be to give a new vampire one hour to get his Essence up to where it needs to be. The Test is with like a 1 minute interval, so 1 hour is more than enough time to feed.

Better house rule: No vampire PCs. It's really not worth it.
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (tim @ Mar 31 2012, 02:08 PM) *

Personal opinion here, and not that of Catalyst Game Labs or anyone who wrote that stuff: They're different because the whole cockamamie idea wasn't thought out very clearly from the conception phase all the way through to publication. Vampires, et al, in Shadowrun are just a bad idea as a PC concept, and writing rules for them just gives you weak vampires that have too much potential for sparkling and overt emo angst.

Stupid idea that should never have seen the light of day (pun intended).
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 1 2012, 10:11 AM) *
In addition to these physical requirements, the peculiar Awakened nature of the Infected requires the living energies of a metahuman aura in their food for optimum health, and sometimes large influxes of mana siphoned directly from the aura of a living metahuman or other sapient creature; these are believed to be essential sustenance for the virus itself.

Sorry, but Pure Mana cannot satisfy this requirement.

Wait, what?

"Pure mana" doesn't satisfy a "pure mana" dietary requirement?
Patrick Goodman
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 1 2012, 09:41 PM) *
Quote all the fluff in the world you want, the RAW is what matters, and the RAW allows it. Go look at the RAW for the Weakness and then the RAW for the spell (hint: I provided them for you just a few posts ago) - there is nothing about some intangible spiritual necessity for the Dietary Requirement; in fact, in places the fluff is wrong (like how much the Infected need to consume for their Requirement) - you need only concern yourself with the actual rules.

Let's play nice, please, boys.

And while RAW might support it, that's one of those things that I submitted errata for a while back. I don't believe a Nutrition spell can deal with the Dietary Requirement. Of course, I want to nerf Alleviate Allergy for the Infected, too, but can't come up with a good, logical way to do it without nerfing the spell for everyone. I'm probably just going to have to live with it.

Granted, Jason and I haven't had that discussion about Nutrition yet, but it will be coming up. There might be perfectly acceptable and logical reasons for it to work. We'll see.
Neraph
QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Apr 2 2012, 07:56 AM) *
Let's play nice, please, boys.

And while RAW might support it, that's one of those things that I submitted errata for a while back. I don't believe a Nutrition spell can deal with the Dietary Requirement. Of course, I want to nerf Alleviate Allergy for the Infected, too, but can't come up with a good, logical way to do it without nerfing the spell for everyone. I'm probably just going to have to live with it.

Granted, Jason and I haven't had that discussion about Nutrition yet, but it will be coming up. There might be perfectly acceptable and logical reasons for it to work. We'll see.

Thank you for the neutral-stanced alternative opinion.
Neraph
Also, the corps are looking for a mass-marketed version of "food" for the Infected. Nutrition is not that at all - you need an Awakened individual that knows the spell. Trying to feed Infected with that spell would look like something from soup kitchens or low-income ER rooms; you'd have lines of Infected waiting while a few exhausted individuals attempt to make the demand.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Apr 4 2012, 09:01 AM) *
Also, the corps are looking for a mass-marketed version of "food" for the Infected. Nutrition is not that at all - you need an Awakened individual that knows the spell. Trying to feed Infected with that spell would look like something from soup kitchens or low-income ER rooms; you'd have lines of Infected waiting while a few exhausted individuals attempt to make the demand.

No different than the mages needed to convert animal meat to "Infected Quality" Meat, since the Mega's are currently researching a Spell for that purpose... smile.gif
Yerameyahu
I think most people just would have expected the sections that go on about the problem to mention something simple like, 'Nutrition works, but that's not good enough'. It's the convergence of balance, fluff, and theme. I don't think anyone's saying the rules clearly say it. smile.gif
Elfenlied
Wow, Infected seem to be a pretty controversial topic on this board. What warrants such hostility? The flavor or the crunch?

Personally, I've both played and DMed for Vampire PCs, and didn't get the impression that they were particularly overpowered. They have a couple of useful powers and good stat boosts, but their inability to use 'ware cripples them as Adepts, and they're about on par with Elven mages in the Drain department. Softmax magic for them is 4 compared to 5 for other races. Mist Form doesn't allow you to carry along equipment, and Regeneration is a joke in the current edition, easily bypassed by combat magic, called shots and brute force.

As for flavor, YMMV. The whole virus thing doesn't sit well with some people, while others think that Real VampiresTM are supposed to immolate in sunlight, which Stoker style Vampires don't actually do. And then there are those saying that such a fantasy race doesn't belong in a Cyberpunk RPG, conveniently neglecting to mention Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs and Trolls.

Point is: Every group needs to decide for themself what they feel comfortable with at their table. The rules, ideally, should provide a framework to work with and support a versimilitude of playstyles. The freedom of choice is the most significant thing separating a tabletop RPG from a videogame RPG; everyone should embrace and accept it instead of telling other people on the internet that they're "doing it wrong".

Opinions are like nipples. Everyone has one. Mine is that vampires are fine as PCs.
Yerameyahu
Most people, I find, say things along the lines of 'We don't use X' or 'I don't like X' or 'My opinion is X'. smile.gif So it's not really a question of telling other people they're doing it wrong. It's also usually a question of 'should they be PCs?', not 'should they exist?'.

In my experience, the balance issues usually are the relevant ones. In this thread specifically, we were discussing the idea that the single biggest limitation could be trivially avoided by casting a spell; this is typical (ghoul cosmetic surgery, Alleviate Allergy, etc.). It's easy to see why people dislike this.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Apr 5 2012, 02:26 PM) *
Wow, Infected seem to be a pretty controversial topic on this board. What warrants such hostility? The flavor or the crunch?

Personally, I've both played and DMed for Vampire PCs, and didn't get the impression that they were particularly overpowered. They have a couple of useful powers and good stat boosts, but their inability to use 'ware cripples them as Adepts, and they're about on par with Elven mages in the Drain department. Softmax magic for them is 4 compared to 5 for other races. Mist Form doesn't allow you to carry along equipment, and Regeneration is a joke in the current edition, easily bypassed by combat magic, called shots and brute force.

As for flavor, YMMV. The whole virus thing doesn't sit well with some people, while others think that Real VampiresTM are supposed to immolate in sunlight, which Stoker style Vampires don't actually do. And then there are those saying that such a fantasy race doesn't belong in a Cyberpunk RPG, conveniently neglecting to mention Elves, Dwarfs, Orcs and Trolls.

Point is: Every group needs to decide for themself what they feel comfortable with at their table. The rules, ideally, should provide a framework to work with and support a versimilitude of playstyles. The freedom of choice is the most significant thing separating a tabletop RPG from a videogame RPG; everyone should embrace and accept it instead of telling other people on the internet that they're "doing it wrong".

Opinions are like nipples. Everyone has one. Mine is that vampires are fine as PCs.

Talk to Neraph. He can show you why the majority of other people dislike Vampires. smile.gif
The fact that their magic is variable, and is capable of hitting 2 Digits the moment they leave Chargen (and can keep it there trivially, especially with the ability to eliminate Allergies and possibly (as some have argued) eliminate their need to adhere to their dietary requirement) is a big factor, I think.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012