Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: To Build a Fire
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Eratosthenes
I've worked up a brief, one-shot run that I intend to use as an intro to new players, or as filler for relatively new characters. What I've planned is currently set in Seattle, but could easily occur in most any urban locale. I'm looking for a quick critique: is it feasible? Does it fit the setting well enough? Could it be better? Potential problems? Too easy?

Background:

The Vory are looking to muscle there way into some prime Mafia/Yakuza turf, but don't have the manpower to take them on directly. Instead, they're looking to hire a shadow team to hit a Mafia warehouse, and frame the Yaks for it. Hopefully, it'll start some nice escalating hits to weaken both of them for a long while.

The Setup:

The Johnson is a half-Russian, half-Japanese, heavily tatooed Vory who often plays the part of a minor Yakuza oyabun. He plays the part up a lot, during the meet; runner's with a little knowledge of the Yakuza (any pertinent knowledge skills) getting 3 or less hits will realize he looks Yakuza, while 4 or more will think he's a Yak, but realize something's different.

The runner's are hired to burn down a neighborhood "eyesore", which is actually a mafia distribution warehouse for smuggled/illicit goods. There's a bonus if the team can upload a datafile to the warehouse's nexus prior to its destruction. He gives precious few details, other than the warehouse's location, and the requisite data file. Pay is moderate, and negotiable to a degree, with 10% up front.

The data file is a simple Kanji character, to serve as a calling card for one of the local Yakuza clans. It also contains a virus, meant to weaken any system's it's infested (Firewall -1).

Legwork:
The warehouse is owned by a company called DokTek. A little digging may reveal that DokTek is a front for one of the mafia families.

A simple drive by of the warehouse will reveal that it is guarded. Staking it out will show that it is used regularly for drop offs and deliveries.

The Warehouse:

Located in a fairly isolated area, the warehouse is nonetheless guarded by a number of mafia goons. The warehouse serves as a depot for illicit goods (smuggled weapons, ammo, BTL's, knock-off fashions, etc.), stored in crates inside. Mafia vehicles (a delivery van, several cars, bikes) regularly arrive and depart, taking goods and replacing the crew in regular shifts.

A mafia capo is typically on hand (dosed up on Long Haul) to oversee things. He also wears a DocWagon bracelet.

The warehouse's utility and security nexus is hidden, and of low signal strength. Any hacker would either have to get within 100m of it, or piggy back in on one of the goon's commlinks or a drone. Matrix security is pretty minor, with trace and track IC, and a bored, distracted spyder on overwatch (who's also in the meat, in the warehouse). The nexus controls the various security cameras, maglocks, lights, fire suppression systems, alarms, and HVAC for the warehouse.

Magically, the warehouse is sitting on a weak background count (rating 1), full of despair, depression, and anguish from the many bad things that have happened here over the years. A wiz-ganger provides magical support, though for only certain periods of the day (early evening). He keeps a pair of watchers patrolling just outside the background count, and a weak air elemental patrolling the warehouse.

Inside the warehouse are several vehicles used by the mob (one van, a sedan, and several bikes). In crates stacked throughout are various illicit goods, mostly Kong BTL chips in their gaudy packaging, but a few crates of ammo, grenades, weapons, and assorted drugs.

Committing Arson:
Burning down the warehouse is not actually easy. If the fire suppression system is not deactivated, it's near impossible. Burning the crates can cause quite a bit of destruction, especially if the ammo/grenades are not removed first.

Reinforcements:
In the event of an attack, a local restaurant that is oft patronized by the mafioso can provide support within minutes. In the event of magical threats, F6 Spirits can arrive within moments. On the matrix, the spyder would simply shut down the hub for a reboot, while calling for matrix backup.

If the capo is injured, DocWagon will be on scene quickly. Firing on DW will result in notoriety for the team. DW will only attempt to extract the capo.

Firing on Fire/Rescue teams will also generate notoriety. If the warehouse alarms are not disabled, Fire/Rescue will be on site within minutes. If they are disabled, Fire/Rescue will be greatly delayed.

Media may also be drawn to any sort of a firefight/fire after a few minutes.

The Twist:
The warehouse is used for more than drugs, guns, and BTLs. It's also a waypoint in human smuggling, namely that of young girls and women being forced into prostitution. A concealed trap door in the warehouse (discoverable by a perception check) hides an underground holding cell, containing 10-20 young women of various ages.

If the women are not discovered, or not extracted, they will be killed in the ensuing fire, creating a large media event. Extracting them creates its own problems, naturally.

The Aftermath:
The mafia, naturally, will be keen to find out who hit them. Any street contacts used to obtain information during the run will need to make a loyalty test, else the contact's runner may be visited by a mafia enforcer. All the mafia wants to know is who ordered the hit, though depending on how such a meet goes down, they may require a favor or two as "restitution".

Any runners with mafia contacts may find that things are a little more difficult now between them.

Depending on how successful the runners are, the Johnson may contact them in the future for further jobs. Not burning down the warehouse is not necessarily a failure, if enough personnel are killed/wounded, and the goods are destroyed.
Mirilion
I like the twist and the setting, but I think there's too much opposition. A milk run for newbies should be relatively forgiving, so the F6 spirits and the women burning may be too harsh as penalty for not paying enough attention in the first run. Thats my style, anyway.

F6 spirits will wipe the floor with the new characters, I think. Maybe have a watcher spirit guarding the trap door, and a nasty rat shaman or something drinking vodka in the restaurant? (I'm part Russian, I'm allowed to say stuff like that)
Also I'd have the spider removed, doesn't fit a warehouse that much IMO. Maybe more goons and another slick "pimp" type character lazying around will alert the runners that something is off, or soemthing, but I think your runners need more clues that would suggest the women are there.
Midas
Seems pretty good to me. Given the value of the goods stashed there, it does make sense that there would be a fairly sizeable group of mobsters to protect their stash. Given that the team will have magic the air elemental (and F6 spirit reinforcement and perhaps astrally projecting wiz-ganger should it be dispelled) seems fair to me, and the spider doesn't have to be particularly good at his job. A few thoughts:

1) I might add a troll forklift truck driver into the mix, rigger coccoon and fairly low armour on the vehicle and no weapons ... he could charge down PCs when they hit the place.

2) I too would give a few more hints about the prostitutes should the PCs case the joint: they could see a few women taken in, or notice the mobsters are ordering in a helluva lotta food or something.

3) The Vory's plan to frame the yaks might be compromised if the PCs decide to loot the place and fence the spoils (not to mention the fact the PCs would get into trouble with the mob when they find out who is selling their boosted stuff), so I would suggest a "destroying but no looting" clause in the deal. (Of course, boosting stuff for personal use might be OK.)

4) And if the PCs are tempted to steal anything, stealth RFID tags on everything, natch.

Hope it goes well!
Raiki
I've got to agree with Midas and Mirilion about adding a few more clues about the trapped women. If the group mage regularly does astral reconnaissance of run locations, maybe something as simple as a ward over the trap door (to prevent nosy spirits or mages from finding their stash of wimmenz) would be enough to tip them off that "Something's not right."

I really approve of the idea of introducing DocWagon extractions early. Not only does it stress how awesome having a contract with them can be, but it's a good gauge of whether your players are going down the Mirrorshades or Mohawk route. Either way, make sure the response fits with the theme of the game you want to run.

I would personally replace the on-site rigger with an off-site one who gets notified if there's any alerts, and also a few rail-drones around the perimeter of the warehouse.

Any more specific advice, and I'd need to know what characters you were running for and their inclinations.

Either way, this is a really good, flavorful run, and I approve wholeheartedly. cool.gif
Redjack
QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Apr 5 2012, 09:44 AM) *
The data file is a simple Kanji character, to serve as a calling card for one of the local Yakuza clans. It also contains a virus, meant to weaken any system's it's infested (Firewall -1).
As you did not state a rating for this virus, it seems to imply that the infection is automatic.
QUOTE (Unwired @ pg121)
Make an Opposed Test pitting the virus rating x 2 against the node’s Firewall + System. If the virus succeeds, it infects the target software
Given that part of the role of the "firewall" in Shadowrun is to also protect against viruses, a role should occur.

On the whole, the premise for the run sounds cool. Some tweaking here and there would balance it better. As an introductory run, I would definitely assist with clues about the women, like rumors from contacts if they fail to perform a proper astral sweep and locate them. For a seasoned crew, I would not feel bad about the penalties and notoriety for failing due diligence.
Eratosthenes
Thanks for the feedback!

I had intended the elemental reinforcements to solely be available to engage targets on the astral, if there are any major astral threats to be dealt with. The on-site wiz-ganger is only there part time, and is not very powerful (magic 3, perhaps, reduced to 2 by the background count of 1). Can't have a single mage character solo the mission with just a pair of their own fire elementals, now, can we? Ideally a mage character wouldn't trigger them.

My notes have the on-site spyder doubling as the accountant. So part-time spyder, really. I think I forgot to mention that there was also a hunter-killer drone buzzing about the place above, also controlled by said accountant-spyder. Basically his role is to account for all the goods in and out, as well as facilities security. But then there's no reason for the spyder to always be onsite; perhaps he's only there part time.

As for finding the women, in the legwork, it is possible to learn that the site has been previously used for human trafficking. I didn't want to make it too obvious; there's no downside technically to them not finding the women, other than an ethical/moral hit. The perception check itself is fairly easy.

As for the virus, yes I had a rating for it (rating 5 in my notes). It had to naturally beat the firewall of the system it was to be installed on. I didn't provide ratings for many things, namely because Ifigured those could be tailored to the runners in question.

The main things I wanted to stress with the run is to 1) do homework before the run, to know what you're getting into (i.e. you'll be pissing off the mob), and 2) be aware of your surroundings (i.e. the hidden sex-slaves), and 3) the dark nature of crime.

Good idea, regarding RFID tags everywhere! Even (and potentially especially) on the prisoners!

I also like the image of a troll forklift driver. Would it be like the Austin Powers forklift scene? biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012