Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Technomancers > Linking Sprites > Final Task
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FlashbackJon
I have looked through a LOT of threads, but haven't seen a clear answer to this.

If I have a sprite improving my Complex Form, and I link it, does that actually mean the sprite continues improving that form for 256 days?
Likewise, sustaining a threaded Complex Form - 256 days?

I can't tell, by the wording, if it's intended to override the existing time limit (X combat turns) or not, because that seems a little absurd. Someone be a reality check for me here...
Caadium
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'linking' it, but there is no way I can think of that would extend a sprite's service to 256 days.

Even compiled sprites will only help you sustain a threaded CF for a number of hours based upon their rating as 1 service.

Yerameyahu
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'linking' it, but there is no way I can think of that would extend a sprite's service to 256 days.
There is one way, it's called Linking. wink.gif It's in Unwired in the Sprites section. But you're still right (see below).

I think you're right, FlashbackJon, about not 'overriding': it seems clear that the CF would only be sustained as long as 1 task worth. Linking just says they'll keep doing their *last* task… but their last task happens to only last (Rating) hours.

I could see people trying to argue against it, but meh. smile.gif I hate technos and imba tricks, so I'm happy with this conclusion regardless.
FlashbackJon
Ah, yes, I should've mentioned that previous searches were hindered by the "Sprite Link" Echo.

I'm trying to figure out what task could be conceivably carried out for 256 days at all? Maybe "attack anyone that enters this node" technically fits the bill (the parameters don't change, it's restricted to "cybercombat in a single node, regardless of number of opponents") but even that seems hazy at best.
Yerameyahu
Going off the kinds of things spirits do, I think that's exactly right. The list of others indeed seems small: Stability?

Other uses are less 'power-centric': 'wait here and alert me if X'? Things like that.
almost normal
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 8 2012, 02:46 PM) *
I hate technos and imba tricks,

Cyberpunk 2020.
Caadium
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ May 8 2012, 12:46 PM) *
There is one way, it's called Linking. wink.gif It's in Unwired in the Sprites section. But you're still right (see below).

Wow, I never even noticed that bit before.

Why 256 days? Just because it is 4^4 and a tribute to modern computing, or is there a reason within the SR verse that makes sense?

I would have to agree that it would be useful for things already listed, not for things like sustaining a thread that burns them out much faster.
Yerameyahu
No, because it's 2^8. biggrin.gif But yes, it's a computer reference that's close to how much spirits get, and technomancers are just palette-swapped mages.
hobgoblin
QUOTE (almost normal @ May 8 2012, 11:44 PM) *
Cyberpunk 2020.

heh, nice one.
Modular Man
As far as I know a series of services is also possible. It's not very different from a mage's long-term binding.
You can create insanely powerful combinations here, yes. Just check with your GM, that should solve the problem. I'd say it is possible, but can easily impact game balance as it is.
Ryu
QUOTE (Caadium @ May 8 2012, 09:38 PM) *

Even compiled sprites will only help you sustain a threaded CF for a number of hours based upon their rating as 1 service.

Order a set of tasks: "Assist Operation" in an infinite loop seems cheesy. "Help me keep hidden from my opponents" however could cover multiple instances of Assist Operation as well as using powers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012