Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Japanese Shadowrun
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tzeentch
-- This is a little booklet (in dimensions, it's pretty thick at 350 pages!) that, from I can tell, introduces the Shadowrun RPG for Japanese gamers on a budget (650 yen). It has smattered art that frankly is better then a lot of the SR1 and SR2 stuff despite there not being much.

-- Perhaps the most amusing things are the mini-mangas explaining mechanics like the dice pool (pic of manga guy pulling dice out of a plastic water pool), drain (mage nuking a guy then with swirly eyes), rolling to hit, etc. etc. Has anyone else seen this? Andy Kitkowski got it for me in Japan (along with "On Your Mind" the Al Shard supplement) and I've never heard of it before.

-- As soon as I can get to a scanner I'll post a few of the mangas wink.gif
Grimtooth
The name rings a bell.

I think Adam once said he had a copy when he posted in the collectibles thread.

I'd like to take a gander at it when you get the scanner up and running.
Fu-Man Chu
Just thought I'd add that when I was last in Japan I managed to pick up a copy of the Japan sourcebook for Shadowrun - my GM can speak Japanese (having lived there for a year), but has difficulty reading it so hasn't been able to translate it. . .

otaku mike
IIRC, this sourcebook was described as very far from canon Japan. Anti-Metas laws and racism was played down or ignored, for the most important difference.
There was a web amateur sourcebook on Japan much closer to canon, but it was sparse and the english was poor to say the least.
A decent canon treatment of Japan is really needed. And with luck it will be in Shadows of Asia.
Phaeton
QUOTE (otaku mike)
IIRC, this sourcebook was described as very far from canon Japan. Anti-Metas laws and racism was played down or ignored, for the most important difference.
There was a web amateur sourcebook on Japan much closer to canon, but it was sparse and the english was poor to say the least.
A decent canon treatment of Japan is really needed. And with luck it will be in Shadows of Asia.

Hmm...I still plan on making my own Japan sourcebook sometime. In my opinion, 2060s Japan is Blade Runner meets Akira meets a few other things. But not Ghost in the Shell. GitS just seemed pretentious and too optimistic to me, and besides, Masamune Shirow is weird...
mfb
is it wrong to imagine japanese shadowrunners doing the Godzilla dance as they run from a dragon?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012