Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP NEEDED TO SLAY A HIGHLY CYBERED ORK
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Malokei
Hey recently in my friends SR3 campaign. I got into Player versus Player combat over who was going to pilot MY Commercial LAV. Anyways he didn't a clue when I said no claimin his skill was better than mine even though I am the owner. (keep in mind he was in character claiming his skill was a rating 6. Can we say DUMB FRAGGER!!! I can. Anyways being the witty gentlemen that I am I said well thats nice that you have your intermediates license but I am still the captain and your the cabin boy.) He then started to shoot at my character he missed at point blank range. Combat intiated I cast a force 6 armor spell on my self with six successes out of seven dice. The idiot shot at me yet again I shrugged it off. I held my action. The rest of the party showed up and preceded to attempt to try to light me up like a christmas try. Note the word try. I then began to conjour a city spirit of man at force 5. With five favors I said: protect me, if they kill me kill them, defend the LAV if I die, you are free to leave immediately if the cops show, and keep yourself alive. It did just that, first order was combat again, of course. It used its fear ability to scare off one of the party members, and make one of the others back out. The stupid ork still resisted and continued his onlsaught and did a LIGHT wound to me, I sustained my magic for the moment. This happened for five minutes game time until my spirits was banished by the other shaman in the party and the ork ran out of bullets. I then dropped my armor spell and STUNBALLED that jerk into next month. The party being stupid called LoneStar into this equation which wound up in my temporary detainment and confiscation of multiple illegal firearms. Anyways that damn ork is still trying to kill me. And the only combat spell I have is Stunball at force 6. I need help because he will not stop until I am dead. Note: the person playing the character is an idiot. Never mess with a magic user.
blakkie
Buy about 10kg of dynamite along with a blasting cap and electronic detonator. Attach the dynamite to the inside of a coat and wire up the blasting cap and detonator. Put on the coat, get very, VERY close to your opponent and detonate the explosives.

As for what to do about your PC's ingame problem *shrug* no idea there.
theartthief
Uhhhhh,

Where is your GM? twirl.gif

If s/he persists in allowing this insanity to continue, then I would hire my old sniper character to put and "end" to this nonsense... vegm.gif

- theartthief
TinkerGnome
Steal a nuclear warhead. Go to same city as ork. Detonate warhead. Stand about three feet to the left of the bomb and you should be fine.
blakkie
Hold on a minute, this: http://invision.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=3729 isn't by chance your group?
Jason Farlander
I am forced to wonder... what happened in the part you left out explaining why the rest of the group decided to attack you?

Anyway, its ridiculously easy to kill an unconscious character, so I don't understand why youre having problems dealing with your situation considering the combat spell in your possession.

blakkie
QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
I am forced to wonder... what happened in the part you left out explaining why the rest of the group decided to attack you?

Anyway, its ridiculously easy to kill an unconscious character, so I don't understand why youre having problems dealing with your situation considering the combat spell in your possession.

It wasn't just the rest of the party. It kinda sounds like the GM isn't really happy. LoneStar showed up, took away his gear and jailed him for a bit. Although the GM didn't just have him summarily executed, so he hasn't totally screwed himself...yet.

That post just has "social calamity" dripping from it.

Jason Farlander
QUOTE (blakkie @ Apr 14 2004, 11:10 PM)

It wasn't just the rest of the party. It kinda sounds like the GM isn't really happy. LoneStar showed up, took away his gear and jailed him for a bit. Although the GM didn't just have him summarily executed, so he hasn't totally screwed himself...yet.

That post just has "social calamity" dripping from it.

Well... perhaps you missed it, what with the confused lack of commas/paragraphs/complete sentences, but...

QUOTE (Malokei)
The party being stupid called LoneStar into this equation

So it wasnt *necessarily* just the GM being an ass along with the party... perhaps this particular GM prefers to take a back seat and let things play out as they should given the player's actions.

(NOTE:Malokei - the opening statement was not intended as a flame, Rather, it was a reasonably accurate observation. If you would prefer a higher average quality of response, you could help attain one by putting a little more effort into making your post readable.)
Kanada Ten
Wire a looped BTL into the LAV datajack port. Apologize to the ork and offer to let him drive the vehicle... "See, you turn it on by jacking in."
Large Mike

I gotta say, my friend, that puncuation and paragraph breaks are your friend. Having all-caps in the title probably also turned alot of people away. Really, you're lucky that so many people responded.

Also, orks are easy. Trolls are a bit harder. In either case, bullets will generally do you, as will booby-traps. Although inter-PC murder often dooms at least the offending character and often the continued play of that group. Really, someone will get ticked and refuse to play with someone else. From what I was able to gather, everyone attacked you? If that's the case, chances are that you'll be the one excluded from play.

I seriously recommend that you find a different way to settle this.
tisoz
Yes, my first reaction was why did they all side with him, too. Usually the party sides with the attackee to restrain the attacker and learn why they went off. Sounds like they knew why the attacker went off and that was the signal to join in.

But to your question, Use your spirit. Have it use its powers. The hearth spirit has a neat one called confusion. If the victim fails their roll, they don't get an action, if they succeed, they get a +(Force) modifier to their TNs. Then use another neat power, conceal to make yourself hard to see, add spirit's Force to TN to hit you or even see you. At Force 4, that's +8 for the ork to do anything to you. Stand back and stunbolt without having to sustain anything.
blakkie
I saw that Jason, but the GM decided that LoneStar would show up. Why would 'runners, criminals of criminals, call LoneStar? I'm going to guess to ask the GM to come in a give some batton "guidance" to the PC/player in question.

So LS shows, apparently before this guy managed to skip out. Or maybe he thought he didn't need to leave? *shrug* The GM fires an warning shot across the bow (takes some gear, temporary detainment) and then goes back to let it play out.

I would guess not a micromanagement GM (or as i like to label such, a Dungeonmaster In Complete Kontrol wink.gif ). He'll let it play out, for one reason (trying to not piss someone off, lacks political ability to direct the play at the table) or another (philosophically doesn't just calls the rules and lets the bullet casing drop where they may).

There are some hints that maybe the other players aren't exactly innocent in this either. This fellow isn't exactly the brightest either if he can't figure out a way to kill a lughead troll using a mage. But then i get the impression he didn't come here looking for a way to kill the troll, just validation from someone that killing the troll PC is the right thing to do. So i'm sticking with my recommendation of a dynamite solution. wobble.gif
blakkie
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Wire a looped BTL into the LAV datajack port. Apologize to the ork and offer to let him drive the vehicle... "See, you turn it on by jacking in."

LOL. I think i'll keep that one for a rainy day, i'll file it under the Kanada Gambit. love.gif
Malokei
alright here's the deal. one you mentioned some other group. that isn't my group. Anyways the GM thinks that it is appropiate for storytelling purposes. But I think they don't like my shaman because I actually ROLEPLAY my character. Anyways that insanity is just plain bad on account that they never have the cajones to confront me even when I GM. So I naturally have to figure out what the problem is and try to remedy without using the rubber gloves of denial as much. Well anyways they started drek with my Junk shaman so I have to clean it up but that is why I asked ya'll. So um yeah any easy remedies?
Malokei
And another thing the GM didn' tplan on LONESTAR showing up. It was an unfortunate lack of common sense on the PC's behalf that caused this problem in the first place. Well I got out of jail after calling my attorney and providing appropiater false identification for the spells I sling. It was bad but at least I am free before they realized they were duped.
Herald of Verjigorm
Mateba. 2 Matebas if you have more than 6 problem players.
broho_pcp
Just hire an assasin (sniper/mage prefered) to kill him.
FlakJacket
Edited because people already said what I wanted to say.
tisoz
Do you have an appropriate skill to pilot the LAV, or is the ork the better pilot? Does your group think your character has any useful skills?

I ask only because you scare me with that roleplaying boast. Do they think they will all die if the GM makes you rollplay the piloting? Another use of a spirit power guard will help drive the GM nuts by helping avoid accidents, from either the spirit power or natural origin.
Sunday_Gamer
Sounds to me like you need to find yourself a different gaming group? Granted I once Gm'ed a game where one party member played both factions against each other, set them all up to kill each other and went on to pay a magical group loads of money to forget the whole thing because he hated what those people had turned him into.

He went on to a very promising career shadowrunning with his new friends and they had many fine adventures. =)

I'm sure you've got enough ways to smoke him already so I'll be guy who asks the techincal question. Not so much to nit pick but to make sure I know the rules myself.

You mention you cast armor and then summoned a city spirit. Were you sustaning this armor spell while performing the exclusive action of summoning? Am I correct in my belief you would have to drop the armor spell to summon?

Sunday
Capt. Dave
Just kill the damn thing. While he sleeps, when he goes outside, while he's driving. You're a shaman, damnit, act like one! You command the mighty energies of Magic! Yes, slay him like a dog in the street!

You (and I may have misread) seem to imply that the ork & company ROLLplay their characters. Now, this is a generalization, but most roll-players respect power. A surprisingly large amount view mages as weak and puny due to their often lower physical attributes. So pack him a lunch and take him to school. Maybe next time he'll be a bit slower to pick a fight.
Arethusa
Dave's got it right. Mundanes are really far more vulnerable than a magic user will ever be, and while it may be unbalanced, it's about time he learned this. There is a reason that mages are primary targets.
TechnoDruid
Stunbolt him into oblivion, shoot him in the head until all is left is a fine, red paste. Even if your GM makes you roll to hit, etc, it shouldn't take you horribly long, as the ork shouldn't get ANY combat pool. Just how I'd handle him. But, since I'm a GM, I may very well have had LS show up, deem you ALL as a threat to public safety, and gun everyone down... wink.gif
mfb
no kidding. buy a 5Y knife, stunball his ass, slit his throat. QED.
shadd4d
Posts like these are why I take a real dim view with regards to interparty conflict. It's okay if I'm trying, in character, to save someone from a fellow party member because of character beliefs (albeit at a con game). I'm just not cool when arguments in the party degenerate into bloodbaths.

Don
AOTD3025
Have a storm spirit zap him? Remember that several pieces of cyberware are extremely vulnerable to electrical damage if the rules in Man and Machine mean anything.

Also remember that if somebody has already taken ten boxes of stun damage, any additional stun damage becomes physical damage, so that stunbolt can still kill.
mfb
this doesn't really sound like the basis of the problem is intraparty conflict. it sounds like one guy's an idiot who happens to have a character that, on the surface, appears to be difficult to kill. one reason i prefer less party-oriented games is that, as an individual runner hired along with several other individual runners, we can rid ourselves of idiots quickly and efficiently. then, we can steal their Westwinds, and brag about it constantly. not that this has ever happened.
tjn
QUOTE (mfb)
it sounds like one guy's an idiot

Question is, who?

Maybe I'm just touchy... I don't think we're hearing the whole story.

Malokei, please don't take offense, I just don't think your as innocent as you claim to be. And as your involved in the situation, I believe your view point has been clouded largely by your emotions.
Aidley
Force 4 shape earth. makes toothpaste out of anyone. >)
mfb
well, one guy being an idiot doesn't necessarily preclude two idiots.
Malokei
Alright It's me again! You know...the one with problem with his ROLLPLAYING party. I am not the idiot. They are because they lack the one thing they do not want to bring with them COMMON SENSE from the real world. I have out smarted them time and time again in getting our goal achieved as far as run are concerned. Sometimes even when they are planning to go in gunz a blazing so that they can kill stuff and get their faces on the scream sheets. I understand that there should be some interparty conflict but no when it divides the party. Half the party was trying to save me, the other half was trying to kill me and it really doesn't help whevr the side that is trying to kill me is MUNCHKINS. The GM is doing a mediocre job as far as the story is concerned but he isn't doing a good job as far as stopping this problem. Anyways I also GM and I know I would HAVE stopped it before it happened but since I am not I have to bite the bullet and start gearing up to kill this other character off since he is still trying to kill me.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Malokei)
start gearing up to kill this other character off

Like someone already mentioned, a cheap knife is all you need in addition to the Stunball-spell.
Blades
I'll use the combination of
Stun bolt
Levitate
Agony
gel rounds

1) stunbolt him untill he passes out
2) change his ammo into gelrounds(make sure only the GM knows this)
3) keep him levitated over the edge of some high building
4) when he wakes use agony on him, and tell him he is going to die, and you are going to "drive" his girlfriend *
5) wait until he gets mad enough at you to shoot you
6) when you pass out of stun damage, he drops!
7) that way you can rightfully claim to the other party members that he committed suicide.... and you didn't lower yourself to kill him smile.gif

* If you dont have agony, just use the levitate spell on his boxershorts only, and not the person.
tjn
QUOTE (Malokei)
Alright It's me again! You know...the one with problem with his ROLLPLAYING party. 

You make it sound like that's a bad thing, in and of itself. It's just a different style of play. You may just be searching for a different type of game then the rest of the group wants to play. That's not a bad thing either. But either side enforcing their view at the expense of another person's enjoyment of the game is.

I am not the idiot. They are

And I'm sure you had nothing to do with the current conflict within your group. Despite the fact it seems your the only one that appearently sees it that way.

because they lack the one thing they do not want to bring with them COMMON SENSE from the real world.

SR has never had any common sense from the real world. Note the thread about Rewriting Canon. Treat it as it is, a storytelling tool to play a game in a near future dystopic fantasy.

I have out smarted them time and time again in getting our goal achieved as far as run are concerned.

Um, sorry to burst yer bubble, but there shouldn't be any competition within the group. It's a cooperative game so that all can enjoy themselves together. There is no winning in roleplaying games.

Sometimes even when they are planning to go in gunz a blazing so that they can kill stuff and get their faces on the scream sheets.

If their enjoyment of the game comes from that, why begrudge them it? Most people do eventually either seek out a higher level of roleplaying, or go to console gaming which has a much easier mental investment.

I understand that there should be some interparty conflict but no when it divides the party.

Depends. If everyone realizes it's just a game and it's all kept in game and no one's emotions are touched it doesn't matter. It's when the emotions start flying that there is a problem.

Half the party was trying to save me, the other half was trying to kill me and it really doesn't help whevr the side that is trying to kill me is MUNCHKINS.

And there really isn't anything intrinisically wrong with "munchkins" they just have a different way of enjoying the game. It's not wrong, just different.

The GM is doing a mediocre job as far as the story is concerned but he isn't doing a good job as far as stopping this problem.

Be honest with yourself here, if he tried put a stop to it, but one you didn't agree with, would you accept it?

Here's the thing I see, your GM is caught in a hard place. He doesn't want to rule in any one person's favor, there by pissing off the others. As I assume you're all friends, I have to assume he doesn't want this to be the cause of the end of any friendships.

However you and the "munchkins" are both emotionally involved at this point, and finding an answer that satisfies both is likely to be a very hard job.

Anyways I also GM and I know I would HAVE stopped it before it happened

Why is this the sole responsibility of the GM? Everyone there has a stake in making the time invested enjoyable for all. You included. Your best answer is to divest yourself of the emotions around the situation and talk to your GM about the situation, rationally. No getting mad. None. Not even a little bit.

but since I am not I have to bite the bullet and start gearing up to kill this other character off since he is still trying to kill me.

That is a very bad idea. This is an out of character problem amongst the players of the group, carrying the aggression into the game is a passive aggressive move that will not solve your problems as you hope.

That, and line breaks are your friend.
Lilt
[Toungue in cheek]
You claim to be a roleplayer, but you claim you only took a light wound from a munchkin... How is this possible? nyahnyah.gif
[/Toungue in cheek]
BitBasher
I am not the idiot. They are
Basic Psychology, if in a group of people you believe you are the only sane person, you need to question your sanity. Same with idiots. You may want to evaluate their position. If most of a group feels one way and you feel another what thet makes YOU the dissenter in the group. you are the one doing things differently and at ends with the party. Just a thought.
Malokei
Alright I see your point tjn. I feel differently as the people who play the PC's have a strong lack of creativity.Which brings about their muchin side as they always want what is best without earning it. As for the light wound I was able to stave off the damage by rolling lucky but barely honestly I wound up taking a moderate +1 box in damage I never did take any Stun damage though because I was able to resist drain though. It was a hard 27 combat rounds and I had hardly any chance of survival except through my elemental in which case I did drop the armor spell but on his turn he missed horribly actually he botched with all 1's except one 4 out of six dice. The GM however did not punish him accordingly as when any one else has botched in that campaign which happens quite often.

They side against me came to the session that day with idea of killing me but it backfired. The other sammy and mage came to my rescue well er kinda. They at least helped me by stopping 2 of the other PC's from hurting me. They told about their (MUNCHKINS) plan just about an hour after todays session. I am a glad the ones on my side are honest but it came to late. I survived today as they have commandeered my property to do their runs.

As for who has the higher skill. I have a 5 in that skill. The ork has a 6 but I have the EDGE:aptitude to pilot my Lav and it is where my character lives Edge:Homeground. So now can you folks see where I am coming from. I have something nice that is rightfully mine and they want to take it from me.

Need more info then please post. I will be listening. nuyen.gif
nezumi
Someone else already said this, but I have to agree... This sounds like it's an OOC problem you're bringing into the game. If they're making plots outside of the game to kill your character, and other people are telling you this (also OOC), then the problem needs to be fixed OOC.

First, look up the rules of arguing. I'm not saying you're bad at it, but I think EVERYONE needs to hear those rules. They're just a good idea. Lemme see if I can dig 'em up...

Second, talk with them as friends (and intelligent people) you play a game with. Don't accuse them! Just say, when you do such and such, it makes me enjoy the game less. People can appreciate if you feel they're right in doing something, but it has a consequence they didn't foresee. They don't appreciate it when you say they're just munchkins or idiots.

Make sure you talk with each of them privately. That'll let you both be more open, and will make sure no one feels like they're being ganged up on. Once you've figured out what exactly they're doing that you don't like, try to figure out a solution together. At that point, feel free to include your GM and other players, to help keep you all to it when you go back to the gaming table.

There's really nothing wrong with playing a munchkin character, nor with playing a character with no stats at all! But that sometimes will result in conflicts, as you can tell. In my experience, the best solution is learn when combat is helpful and when it's not, and make sure there are plenty of chances for the gunbunnies to strut their stuff. This might mean some compromise on your side as well, making plans in which they have to blast something in particular or what not (talk with your GM for help too), but that might help make the game more fun for everyone.

Re: Rules for arguing... They have biblical references, you can ignore those, however I have seen all of these rules elsewhere, they are pretty solid. Read them, know them, USE THEM. They help a TON, trust me. You can ignore the one about withdrawing love, though. The most important ones, unfortunately, take up the least amount of space: Use 'I' statements, rather than accusations; Avoid quibbling or exaggerations; don't embarass or attack them.

http://www.pastornet.net.au/jmm/articles/5201.htm
Connor
I doubt it's that sort of game, but you could also start talking about the incident with your contacts and spreading bad news about them around town. No one is going to want to work for or hire a crew that untrustworthy and stupid.

You could also maybe call in a favor or two from some of your contacts to help you out. Again, like most people said, if you can catch the ork alone your stunball should be able to take him out. Once he's unconcious he can't resist you putting a clip full of lead into his brain.

And if this is a problem with the other players in the group, especially if a few of them got together out of game and planned on killing off your character either you've done something previously to them or they're definately not the kind of people you should be playing with. I'd probably just walk away from the game and never look back.
gknoy
QUOTE (Lilt)
[Toungue in cheek]
You claim to be a roleplayer, but you claim you only took a light wound from a munchkin... How is this possible? nyahnyah.gif
[/Toungue in cheek]

Perhaps their munch-fu is weak. wink.gif

Seriously though - as otehrs have said, you need to find out WHY they wanted to kill your character. Have you been a general weenie to them? (hey, it happens, not even intentionally) Are they just messing with you? Would they appreciate having their characters annihilated by fellow players?

Again, WHY have they taken this aggressive stance against you? Perhaps there have been points in the past where you have [or your character has] refused to compromise on other issues? Do you constantly berate them for their love of the Roll-play (which, again, often does have its place)?

As Nezumi said -- talk to the otehr players. Find out what's up, out of game. During the week, maybe. Are they playing it from in-character reasons (if so, what are they? That might help you understand the reasons)?

Ask if they are interested in roleplay, or want a deathmatch scenario. If they want the former, then try to reason with them. If they want the latter, and you can agree to do it without hurtung your friendships ... well, I say you should sacrifice your character to show that their munch-fu is no match for yours.

On the surface, it sounds as if this group is interested in a very different style of play than you are interested in; you can either play with them, or against them, or with another group.

As a last resort: If they insist on makign life hard on your character, tell them explicitly that you will play dirty, and NOT stop until all of them have been annihilated, and you all have to start over with new characters (since your shaman will retire after this, or will die trying). Then proceed to Smite them.

Ways to fight dirty:
---------------------------
(1) Make an example of one.

I imagine this would be the ork you mentioned. Have him killed publically, and make it well known to the other players that you will go after them next if they don't back off. If they see you annihilate one of them, with in-character motivation/means, they will back off (or kill your character... ), and will definitely think twice about doign it again later. Everyone loves the "We'll kill you before you can kill all of us!" thing, but NO ONE wants to be the first one to die.

If you have a personal fortune (haha yeah right), devote half or moreof it to a 3rd-party-administered reward for whoever kills him. Make this public knowledge on Shadowland, and any other shadow circles. just any gang will LOVE to have a few hundred thousand newyen. Which means he will be seeing those wanna-be's for a long time.

Ask your GM if you can spend karma to buy HIM a Hunted flaw to represent this. Or three.

If you don't. I highly recommenwd the stunbolt + whatever combo. Stunbolt him mercilessly. Then kill him at your leisure.

(2) Make it "to the pain". As above, but follow Westley's advice. This ork will be very ineffective if he has no eyes, no tongue, no hands, no genitals (ouch!)

(3)Hi to Homeland Security. This is all in the context of a game, we don't really mean this for real life. I swear.

(4) Make it publically known that he is a child molester / killer. Pay a decker to have this information put into his criminal record, screamsheets, etc. No one likes a perv, he'll go down.

(5) Stunbolt him, then sell him to an organlegger.

(6) Stunbolt him, then pay to have his cyberware replaced with a simrig, RAS override, and then sell him to a black market sex ring as a slave. Hey, you didn't KILL the character . . .

Anything that doens't kill him, but renders him useless, is an added bonus. Permanent crippling things like quariplegic-ness or loss of sense organs, or drug/BTL addictions, or the #6 above -- all are sick and twisted, have major style points as they are harder to pull off, etc.

Again, all ofthese should be LAST resorts -- you need to try to resolve game pettiness out of game. If you can't, then perhaps you can agree to a Free For All.
Voran
At this point, it needs to be handled out of game. Otherwise, regardless of whether you whack him, or he whacks you, the tension between the players is going to remain. Nice atmosphere that, where some players resent each other, and a couple resent the GM cause they figure the GM should have stepped in, and the GM resenting players because he thinks they're idiots.

Malokei
Alright it's me again. I recently found out that excuse and it is kinda a poor one. They all want to run characters similar if not exact to those presented in cowboy bebop. Which would have been fine if they told me so they figured if they killed me then they could get to create a character that reflects one from the cowboy bebop universe. Well they certainly didn't tell me that at char-gen. So instead of voicing their dislike of my character concept they came up with hair brained scene thanks to one of the more stupid players that hates my guts in game and in real life. Honestly I didn't know because he never talks except when he is bragging about something insignifigant that happened in game. Well it came time for the their plan to fall in place so he has the overly cybered ork do it rather than confronting me. So yes half the group knew, the other half didn't know me and gm included.

What an elaborate sceme that failed horribly today they managed to get themselves into trouble with the yaks. I along with rest of the party didn't bother to help them as it would have gotten us captured. Lame. but hey it's fair. Right...
Voran
Who gets to be the AI-dog? smile.gif
Connor
Malokai, I say you take the character of the player who doesn't like you in real life and follow gknoy's suggestion #5 or #6. #6, preferably. You could sell him to the Yaks even! Hell, if you know where his hideout is you could just go visit the local oyabun and give him the info first hand.
gknoy
QUOTE (Connor)
Malokai, I say you take the character of the player who doesn't like you in real life and follow gknoy's suggestion #5 or #6. #6, preferably. You could sell him to the Yaks even! Hell, if you know where his hideout is you could just go visit the local oyabun and give him the info first hand.

rotfl.gif

I admit that I was a bit extreme in my sugestions, but ... you know... now that you know, you might go (IC of course) to the Yakuza that they've gotten in troublewith, and offer to give him the information, as well as a "donation" to their coffers if they do one of those things to said character. wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012