Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OoC Emerging: Circles of Power
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Welcome to the Shadows
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Aria
A new chapter in my Emerging games, this time off at a bit of a tangent (although it will still having the running technomancer theme that I have used in my other games). I am looking for players who would like to explore characters who are the rich and famous (and above all beautiful!); European nobles on the Grand Tour, offspring of corporate tycoons, sim starlets and other people of power and influence – or at least those connected to them. The sub-heading should give you a clue about the sorts of machinations I’d like to see happen here!

The game will be set in and around Europe, principally in the UK as I know the most about that area. The timeline will be around 2073 and I’ll be using bits from Jet Set, Corp Conspiracy Theories and whatever my own twisted imagination can conjure up.

Depending on players’ preferences I am considering running things as a series of snapshots rather than trying to string out a traditional ‘run.’ I would like things to be character driven as you each pursue your own agendas (whatever they may be) along with an overarching plot line that will develop with time. The group will be linked by membership of the Ordo Nobilis (someone with more than pseudo Latin may be able to tell me what that should really be?!?), an Old Boys network dedicated to maintaining the status quo.

Players will build a central character who I imagine will be the central person of power. As an alternative you could play the major domo to a bright young thing, or at a pinch the head of their security detail. Whatever you choose you will need to have a stake in the action and a reason to work with (or possibly against?!?) the other players. You will also have access to an entourage (1-3 key N/PCs) that will allow you to undertake more dubious activities that you wouldn’t normally dirty your hands with (there will be some opportunities for shadowrunner type activity in the game). Don’t worry, I don’t expect stats for these extras (unless you really want to), a small background write-up will be sufficient and then we will base them on built 400BP archetypes (including UmaroVI's archetypes if you want) or leave them stat free for non-combatants.

I would like a commitment of one or more posts per week (within reason), and if we don’t hear from you for a while I will fade you out of the action. But in exchange for your efforts you will be awarded one karma point per post so advancement could be fast! Money will be fairly flexible, you will have lots, and contacts and availabilities will become the limiting factor on whether you can get hold of something you want.

Main Character Generation:
  • 400BPs, all books and RAW. If you want to play an alternative metatype or similar from RC there will need to be some serious justification. Likewise, I’m not sure this game is suitable for an AI or free spirit unless you can convince me otherwise. I will frown on obvious munchkinism but the game is meant to be about important people (they will be the first to tell you how important they are!) and ideally suited to high level faces, mages and other power broker types.
  • You can take the following additional qualities which must be offset by these negative qualities up to an additional +25/-25BPs. Positive: Born Rich [10BPs] College Education [5BPs] Fame [5BPs] Privileged Family Name [5BPs] Negative: Day Job [-5 to -15BPs] Dependants [-5 to -15BPs] Distinctive Style [-5BPs+] Prejudiced against poor people [-10BPs]
  • You are automatically a SINer for no bonus BPs (a criminal SIN is worth -10BPs still as getting caught is a serious faux pas!) Records on File isn’t worth BPs either. If something is never going to come up then I would prefer it if you didn't try and take it as a negative quality.
  • You automatically have a free luxury lifestyle (I encourage you to go to town with the advanced lifestyle rules and make a flamboyant abode!), car and driver, staff and other perks of being obnoxiously wealthy. Of course if you want to be a down at heel aristo then you can swap these for a crumbling mansion somewhere with a mountain of debts and only your good name to live off.
  • Resources points should be used to purchase restricted or illegal gear, any and all ‘ware and matrix gear. Otherwise your wardrobe and ordinary gear is outside this pot of cash (and again I encourage you to use Attitude and the like to add some flare to your outfits).
  • You get a free group contact of the Ordo [Loyalty: 3 Connection:3(9)]
  • You get an additional Logic x2 in free knowledge skills exclusively for skills that deal with the nobility and/or history
  • When writing up your character background please give special thought to what your in-game motivations will be (other than acquiring more wealth/influence!). The Ordo support the status quo but you might just be with them because it’s the done thing to do (if you can’t get into the Ordo Maxiumus, and yes, you can belong to both for the magical types amongst you!). Also, what do you think about the technomancer phenomenon? Bear in mind they may pose a significant threat to your assets/income, or at least so the media would have you believe.

Any questions or comments please don’t hesitate to yell! I am going to continue running my other Emerging games in the 2072 thread and End of Days thread (the last one is winding down unless I get some more PCs), feel free to take a look as recruitment is always open in those too!
Aria
PCs:

Mickle: Elton Welborn

Mr Joshua: Mr Awesome

Stave: Buckminster Fuller Scott
JxJxA
I think Trismegistus will make a nice segue into this game... Seems to me like a lavish lifestyle is just up an arrogant mage's alley... XD
Mickle5125
Background
[ Spoiler ]

Elton Welborn
Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]
Aria
The qualities listed are extras over the normal 35 (but must be equally balanced unlike the normal split)...you won't be shadowrunners so can afford more flaws!

No raise in availability...lots of cash doesn't mean you can get hold of illegal stuff any easier - particularly in the UK which is more totalitarian than the UCAS! Restricted gear qualities work as normal...

Mickle5125
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 24 2012, 02:41 AM) *
No raise in availability...lots of cash doesn't mean you can get hold of illegal stuff any easier - particularly in the UK which is more totalitarian than the UCAS! Restricted gear qualities work as normal...

I'd argue this claim, but it just means I'll be that much more useful! *looks up all of the "get stuff easier" qualities*
fistandantilus4.0
This sounds really interesting. I have an idea for a Speakers Way I might like to try out, an Austrian elf. My posting gets a little erratic because of work but I'm sure I can manage one a week. There might be a few times longer than that, but I could let you know before hand.

Other than that, looking at the Grande Tour? Would it be a problem that I don't have Attitude?

How much Technomancer involvement are you looking for, or is that mostly backdrop?
Aria
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 24 2012, 10:43 PM) *
This sounds really interesting. I have an idea for a Speakers Way I might like to try out, an Austrian elf. My posting gets a little erratic because of work but I'm sure I can manage one a week. There might be a few times longer than that, but I could let you know before hand.

Other than that, looking at the Grande Tour? Would it be a problem that I don't have Attitude?

How much Technomancer involvement are you looking for, or is that mostly backdrop?

The TM stuff is the backdrop - it will influence events but there's no need for the players to know any, or understand what they are about.

Attitude is mostly fluff stuff, feel free to generate your own names etc for your fashionista labels smile.gif

The one a week is a target, less and games tend to frazzle, but I'm not going to throw anyone out for genuine RL reasons not to post...I know what work can do to a posting schedule nyahnyah.gif
almost normal
This is a fabulously awesome idea.
Aria
QUOTE (almost normal @ Jun 25 2012, 04:10 PM) *
This is a fabulously awesome idea.

Why thank you biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 24 2012, 03:49 PM) *
I'd argue this claim, but it just means I'll be that much more useful! *looks up all of the "get stuff easier" qualities*

Black market connections quality? Or a group smuggler contact or similar?
almost normal
How would you feel about a high level Yak boss with a seat on a AAA corp?
Aria
QUOTE (almost normal @ Jun 25 2012, 05:38 PM) *
How would you feel about a high level Yak boss with a seat on a AAA corp?

It was a bit beyond the scope of what I had in mind but if you think you can make it work with the points I've given you then you are welcome to try!

Given that this is primarily in Europe though the Vory or the Mafia might be easier to work in? Although I have no doubt that the Yaks have a foothold in parts of London.

An A or AA corp might be more in the bounds of the points? I imagine an AAA board member would have more than 400BPs in contacts alone!
almost normal
Could work. Figuring on the corp underperforming due to mob influence, so they sent my guy in to keep an eye on things.
almost normal
Going to go with the AA corp Yakashima, if that's allright.
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 25 2012, 11:31 AM) *
Black market connections quality? Or a group smuggler contact or similar?

among other things. bwahahaha.
Aria
QUOTE (almost normal @ Jun 25 2012, 09:11 PM) *
Going to go with the AA corp Yakashima, if that's allright.

I found a brief mention of the corp in Augmentation, nothing in corp guide or the main rulebook...is there anything else I need to dig up? I've got access to most SR books I think...

Looks fine apart from that!
almost normal
Yakashima Technologies is a headquartered in Yokohama, Japan devoted to agribusiness, chemicals, pharmaceuticals, mining, and biotechnology. Yakashima's agribusiness side bought many of the European interests in cocoa and coffee bean crops in Africa and elsewhere during the 2050s, making them the number one producer of chocolate confectioneries and the fourth largest producer of coffee. Yakashima has also been known to deal with "free water-borne trade" (Corpspeak for pirates and smugglers) and even issue "letters of marque".
Yakashima was bequeathed the sum of 150 million nuyen in the Dunkelzahn's Will, to be used in "biotechnology research and development of products to benefit the people of the world".

Yakashima has a really bad reputation for its racist view of the Metahuman Races and its corporate culture openly following that view. They are often accused for their relations to Human Nation and are also hated on the Philippineas for the role they played during the Harpon's rule.

fistandantilus4.0
Aria, is this intended to be more versus the other players, or more cooperative? Or solo? Trying to get an idea of what we're looking at here. For one, the character I had in mind would definitely have issues with someone from Yakashima, and I'd rather not start getting blood in the water before it even starts, unless that's the intention.
almost normal
Yakashima specifically, or any Jap/Yak entity? (Considering they're all pretty much xenophobic.)
fistandantilus4.0
Any really, since what I was planning on going for was an Austrian elf, which already faces a fair deal of that from Austrian nobility. Not to say that there's anything wrong with rivalry. Just trying to get an idea of what the GM is looking for.
almost normal
Yeah, I dunno. I imagine if it was directly competitive, there'd be tons of private messages sent back and forth, and actual posts would be much less interesting to read.
Aria
QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 26 2012, 05:00 PM) *
Aria, is this intended to be more versus the other players, or more cooperative? Or solo? Trying to get an idea of what we're looking at here. For one, the character I had in mind would definitely have issues with someone from Yakashima, and I'd rather not start getting blood in the water before it even starts, unless that's the intention.

I want you to be able to cooperate to a certain degree – I certainly want you to be able to interact with one another. You don’t have to like each other however biggrin.gif. You will share common ground in that you all belong to the Ordo together…and you will be thrown together by the mysterious hand of fate (err, that’s my hand). In upper class circles it isn’t done to be obviously rude to people (very bad taste!) so I’ll leave that challenge in your hands smile.gif

QUOTE (almost normal @ Jun 26 2012, 05:43 PM) *
Yakashima specifically, or any Jap/Yak entity? (Considering they're all pretty much xenophobic.)

Can you think carefully about your involvement in the Ordo? They tend to take nobles first, rich people second with a general bias towards Europeans. I know that the Yaks are spread throughout the world and I’m sure you can lay claim to some noble blood if you look hard enough!

QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Jun 26 2012, 06:45 PM) *
Any really, since what I was planning on going for was an Austrian elf, which already faces a fair deal of that from Austrian nobility. Not to say that there's anything wrong with rivalry. Just trying to get an idea of what the GM is looking for.

Rivalry is fine, normal in fact…

QUOTE (almost normal @ Jun 26 2012, 07:27 PM) *
Yeah, I dunno. I imagine if it was directly competitive, there'd be tons of private messages sent back and forth, and actual posts would be much less interesting to read.

I want to avoid most (although by no means all) PMs for this game – the posts need to be interesting to read. There may be things you want to conceal from your fellow players but I expect people not to take direct advantage of things they read IC that their character couldn’t possibly know. In that vein I tend to insert the odd segue scene with mysterious NPCs discussing things about the ongoing plot – that’s for you the players, not the characters! smile.gif
fistandantilus4.0
I think I could make a go of the character I had in mind with those guidelines. I'll throw together a rough draft kinda thing to give you an idea of what I'm looking at and send it your way in the next couple of days. Only debating between Speaker's Way or the much more complicated Mystic Adept.
Mickle5125
Hmm... What should I specialize in procuring?
almost normal
Fortune and glory kid. Fortune and glory.
Mickle5125
was hoping for something a little more specific than that, but less cliche'd than "made his fortune selling guns". Specifically, what would make for an interesting black market pipeline?
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 27 2012, 09:19 PM) *
Hmm... What should I specialize in procuring?

How about a high level fence? Raised in the finer things in life, but has the contacts in the underworld to know plenty of thieves and the like. Perhaps has moonlighted as a car burglar once or twice, enough to get his feet wet, but realized that the real money is as the go between. Now he handles illegal goods, especially art and jewelry. Takes in the swag, takes his cut, resells them to an interested party or the occassional black market auction.

Or hell, could do the same thing bit give him a decidedly tech bend, maintains a shadow server somewhere, profit driven.
Aria
Just remember that you need to be able to mix with the hoi poloi (no idea how you spell that nyahnyah.gif) and they are notoriously closed ranks to anyone they perceive as inferior. Growing up with a noble background and then becoming a fixer will make your life sooooo much easier (and mine! smile.gif)
JxJxA
Would it be kosher if I took Trismegistus from End of Days and tweaked a few things around to fit him into the story? Maybe make him a noble who enjoys slumming on the side because it gives him a chance to "practice" his combat magic against "suitable targets"...
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 29 2012, 03:05 AM) *
Just remember that you need to be able to mix with the hoi poloi (no idea how you spell that nyahnyah.gif) and they are notoriously closed ranks to anyone they perceive as inferior. Growing up with a noble background and then becoming a fixer will make your life sooooo much easier (and mine! smile.gif)

I'm looking less at Fixer and more at professional Mr. J
Aria
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Jun 29 2012, 09:15 AM) *
Would it be kosher if I took Trismegistus from End of Days and tweaked a few things around to fit him into the story? Maybe make him a noble who enjoys slumming on the side because it gives him a chance to "practice" his combat magic against "suitable targets"...

Don't see why not...I quite like Tris and his Dark Goddess smile.gif
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 29 2012, 06:43 AM) *
I'm looking less at Fixer and more at professional Mr. J

and now I'm picturing the joker running around in high society with Harley Quinn.
JxJxA
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 29 2012, 09:30 PM) *
and now I'm picturing the joker running around in high society with Harley Quinn.

I wish there was a button or other feature to star/rec this post. That would make for quite an interesting Shadowrun game. Gotham 2072.
Mickle5125
QUOTE (JxJxA @ Jun 29 2012, 08:04 AM) *
I wish there was a button or other feature to star/rec this post. That would make for quite an interesting Shadowrun game. Gotham 2072.

Oh god. Alright, keep your eyes open. I need to see if I can come up with interesting stuff for a game like this. Alternatively, if anyone has interesting ideas and would rather run the game... ^_^
almost normal
Idea 1 : No fucking spirits.
fistandantilus4.0
Had a bad experience?
almost normal
Being in the right place at the right time, Mobility, and an ability to accurately perceive 'the streets' are all pointless if Batman can kick his feet back in Wayne Manor, drink scotch and get a blowjob while he sends one of his half dozen spirits to 'go take care of it'.
Mickle5125
that would require batman have magic. At most, he's an adept.
JxJxA
Even Batman knew Zatanna and Etrigan. Sometimes, he even tangled with Klarion the Witch Boy...
Mickle5125
not saying he didn't know spell slingers. Just that he isn't one, nor would he allow them access to Gotham without his express permission.
fistandantilus4.0
QUOTE (almost normal @ Jun 29 2012, 03:47 PM) *
Being in the right place at the right time, Mobility, and an ability to accurately perceive 'the streets' are all pointless if Batman can kick his feet back in Wayne Manor, drink scotch and get a blowjob while he sends one of his half dozen spirits to 'go take care of it'.

I'll bet he would brood a whole lot less though.
Mickle5125
and shifting away from Batman talk...

Are we still limited to Alpha grade ware, or can we look at beta/delta?
Aria
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jun 30 2012, 06:01 AM) *
and shifting away from Batman talk...

Are we still limited to Alpha grade ware, or can we look at beta/delta?

I suppose it won't hurt to let you splurge all your cash on beta /delta - just keep in mind the legality thing and remember that you will be in the public eye a lot!
Mickle5125
QUOTE (Aria @ Jun 21 2012, 06:23 AM) *
  • You automatically have a free luxury lifestyle (I encourage you to go to town with the advanced lifestyle rules and make a flamboyant abode!), car and driver, staff and other perks of being obnoxiously wealthy. Of course if you want to be a down at heel aristo then you can swap these for a crumbling mansion somewhere with a mountain of debts and only your good name to live off.
  • Resources points should be used to purchase restricted or illegal gear, any and all ‘ware and matrix gear. Otherwise your wardrobe and ordinary gear is outside this pot of cash (and again I encourage you to use Attitude and the like to add some flare to your outfits).

Do you want us to list the included-in-lifestyle gear on the charsheet?
Aria
QUOTE (Mickle5125 @ Jul 2 2012, 04:22 AM) *
Do you want us to list the included-in-lifestyle gear on the charsheet?

Well I'm hoping that you will give me a description of where you live, what it's like...it's a chance to have your dream pad and describe it in as much (or as little) detail as you like.

Because I'm having a fit of Monday morning generosity you can all have two secondary residences too - these can be anywhere in (or off?!?) the world. Although none in ZO please - you're not that powerful (yet smile.gif)
Mickle5125
Background
[ Spoiler ]

Elton Welborn
Sheet:
[ Spoiler ]
mister__joshua
Here's my character

Background
[ Spoiler ]

Sheet
[ Spoiler ]

I've deliberately left his occupation/source of income vague so you can make something up and have a bit more freedom. I've picked the Hotels option for one of my lifestyles so I can be in whichever city you like. Same thing with contacts; I've got 23 points that you can spend as best fits whatever you're doing. If you want me to add more let me know smile.gif
Aria
These both look good to me so far...

Is Mr Awesome really a genetic experiment? Given his age it would have been fairly cutting edge stuff for his parents to put him through, but then again they would have had the resources to do so...

Old money is a perfectly acceptable source of occupation and income if that's the way you want to play it smile.gif
mister__joshua
Haha, Nah not a genetic experiment. I was subtly suggesting that his money was Nazi gold and genetic heritage charisma was to represent his selective aryan breeding biggrin.gif

I took genetic heritage rather than genecrafted which means his genetic tweaks are inherited from his parents

edit: Maybe I should take the Dark Secret negative quality?
JxJxA
Sorry for being MIA for a bit. My job in South Korea finally wrapped up, and I'm getting ready to move back. I'll hopefully be posting more, but bear with me for a bit. I'm flying home in 2 weeks for a job interview, and should be back to my regular posting schedule in a bit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012