Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: armor ratings of leather
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
xizor
if a charachter wants to modify a leather coat to be like a lined coat, would this lined leather coat get an armor rating of 4/3 for synthetic leather or 4/4 for real leather?
would you say that it makes any difference?
Mimick
I'd say the distinction is irrelevant. Just buy the regular lined coat or secure long coat and have it look like leather. (actually cheaper than real leather, I notice)

Seems like a lot of work for one measly point of impact armor.
Large Mike

Style over substance, my friend, style over substance.
Arethusa
Treat it like a normal lined coat. The fact that it's leather is for roleplaying, not numbers.
tisoz
Ask the GM. Some allow bonus for listed armor made out of leather.
Tziluthi
But would a leather jacket, even one made out real leather, put up such a massive resistance to flechette bullets?
kevyn668
I was just thinking about this the other day. I decided not to bother the GM for an Impact point and bought an armored jacket that I describe IC as "snyth-leather"
mcb
The leather on all the critters I have ever shot never seemed to help them any. biggrin.gif
Arethusa
QUOTE (Tziluthi)
But would a leather jacket, even one made out real leather, put up such a massive resistance to flechette bullets?

Who knows? They don't even make sense as it is.
Herald of Verjigorm
QUOTE (mcb)
The leather on all the critters I have ever shot never seemed to help them any. biggrin.gif

Probably because that is "hide" not "leather." The leathering treatments do make a hide more durable but are very difficult to perform on a living creature.
Arethusa
QUOTE (Herald of Verjigorm)
QUOTE (mcb @ Apr 15 2004, 09:03 AM)
The leather on all the critters I have ever shot never seemed to help them any.  biggrin.gif

Probably because that is "hide" not "leather." The leathering treatments do make a hide more durable but are very difficult to perform on a living creature.

Which is why, of course, we dikote our nastiest creatures.
RedmondLarry
I'm sure a Jacket (0/0) made out of Troll skin would prevent Flechette ammo from staging up. smile.gif
kevyn668
Would it? Isn't the natural dermal plating beneath the layers of skin that would be used to make a coat? smile.gif
Catsnightmare
I don't see why a real leather armor jacket/coat wouldn't have a higher impact rating than a regualr one. Look at the regular jackets made of leather and synth-leather for instance. Synth-leather has an impact rating of 1 while real leather has a rating of 2.
I'd just reccomend adding the price of the two together. Thus if you want an Lined coat made of real leather it would cost you 1450¥ (lined coat 700¥ + 750¥ real leather jacket) and have a rating of 4/4.
Austere Emancipator
If you want the two, armor from Real Leather and Lined Coat, using the armor stacking rules as normal. Wearing just that, it'd give you a total armor rating of 4/3 (4 Ballistic, 2 + 2/2 = 3 Impact). Won't get you into any trouble unless you have a QUI of 3 or less, is highly Concealable. Mostly useless if you wear additional armor.

Considering how massive a heavy leather coat with soft body armor inside it is, I think considering it stacked armor makes sense. And it allows a character to get the Real Leather and Lined Coat armors, which might otherwise be really difficult. Actually making it as good a form of protection as an Armored Vest with Plates (ie 4/3, but not considered stacked armor) sounds a bit silly to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012