Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gunnery vs. Launch Weapons
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Kagetenshi
I had heretofore assumed that Launch Weapons governed missiles and rockets (and grenade launchers, etc.) of all varieties, and that Gunnery applied to anything else that was vehicle-mounted. However, a reread of the rules seems to state that Gunnery applies to anything vehicle-mounted at all, leaving Launch Weapons to apply only to carried munitions. Is this correct?

Or, to put it another way: I'm rigging a van with a missile launcher. I launch a missile. Do I roll Gunnery or Launch Weapons?

~J
Moon-Hawk
Gunnery.
Although in the case of launched missiles, a house-rule wouldn't be absurd.
Remember though that launch weapons also applies to underbarrel grenade launchers and such.
Pthgar
My reading of the rules is that Gunnery applies to any ranged weapon fired from a vehicle.
I would do this anyway, if only to give a break to riggers who have to master enough skills already in addition to having to spend bags of cash on equipment.
Austere Emancipator
I'd allow the use of either. If you can fire guided missile from the shoulder, you can fire them quite well from a vehicle mount. On the other hand, firing any weapon from a vehicle is pretty much like firing any other weapon.

Or perhaps allow Defaulting to Launch Weapons at +1.
Rev
Maybe gunnery should be used for all remote control vehicle mounted weapons, and the regular skill for all human operated vehicle mounted weapons. So a ring, or pintle mounted machinegun would use heavy weapons and a remote popup turret with anything in it would use gunnery? Or maybe more like if you are actually touching the weapon as with a ring or pintle mount you use the weapon skill, but if you are indirectly controlling it like a remote, or from inside a turret use gunnery?

I think that would take care of letting the rigger keep the skills he needs down to a merely unreasonable number rather than a completely absurd one, but would still allow other charachters to fire from a vehicle with mounted weapons set up for them.
Moon-Hawk
Heck, it wouldn't even be all that crazy to fold Launch Weapons into Gunnery completely and only have one skill.
I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying it woulnd't be all that crazy.
Kagetenshi
Rev: what you're talking about is already the case. If a weapon is actually mounted on a vehicle, it uses Gunnery. Pintle and ring mounts, however, are essentially fancy bipods and tripods, so weapons on them use the applicable weapon skill.

~J
Siege
You use Gunnery.

One explanation: To fire a missile through a vehicle's interface control system requires an entirely different set of skills than, say, a Stinger shoulder-mounted missile.

-Siege
Arethusa
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Heck, it wouldn't even be all that crazy to fold Launch Weapons into Gunnery completely and only have one skill.
I'm not advocating it, I'm just saying it woulnd't be all that crazy.

Assuming your campaigns don't feature much of either, that's more than fair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012