Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Initiation, and karmagen chargen
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Raiden
I was told that Initiation can only take place after chargen using karma gained from campaigns, yet in chummer it doesn't seem that way. can you initiate at chargen useing karma, or is that still off limits? ( oh, and any advice on combat/face or PIish mages (ie something close to the occult investigator) would be welcome as well)
Speed Wraith
My understanding, and I don't have Runner's Companion in front of me right now to verify this, but I believe initiating during character creation is allowable by GM fiat for karmagen rules. In other words, it isn't the standard rule, just a commonly accepted practice.
Starmage21
It can make a big difference for posession-based traditions to start out with their 1st initiation and the Channeling metamagic.
Ryu
See "Magical Ressources", SR4A pg. 87. Initiation is only allowed after chargen. Initiation is also not part of the table on RW pg. 41, and the summary of the various steps doesn´t allow it back in.

That said, we houseruled starting initiations in. Just watch the high magic/high initiation combos. Magic 4 + Initiate 3 on a spellcaster is quite good already.
KnightAries
With cummer allowing initiation on karma actually is a good thing so GM's can create NPC's with Initiation. As for gen Chargen in the beginning; good for house rules and advance starting. GM's should still be reviewing char's prior to their starting.
bannockburn
QUOTE ("Runner's Companion @ p. 43")
The Karma system offers all the options available to the default Build Point system, while remaining integrated with in game Karma-based character improvement. Consequently, gamemasters may
choose to allow starting characters to use Karma for any and all purposes that they normally would in-game (to initiate, to join a technomancer guild, to quicken spells, etc.). The gamemaster should retain final judgement in the matter and should consider the ramifications of some advanced abilities this option might unlock at the start of play.

My personal ruling on this matter is "Sure, initiate at start. No higher than Rank 1 though."

Note, this is from the part "Tweaking", so it is an optional 'rule' by default.
forgarn
QUOTE (Speed Wraith @ Aug 14 2012, 02:03 PM) *
My understanding, and I don't have Runner's Companion in front of me right now to verify this, but I believe initiating during character creation is allowable by GM fiat for karmagen rules. In other words, it isn't the standard rule, just a commonly accepted practice.

Correct. Runner's Companion, pg. 43 in the "Tweaking the Karma System" box on the top right of the page.
Bearclaw
I allow 1 initiation during generation.
It's kind of the bonus for doing karma gen rather than point buy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012