Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Create food?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Bearclaw
Just what it said. Create food has been talked about, but I can't find it in any book. Is it there, or are people just remembering 3rd ed?
Whipstitch
There isn't one that I'm aware of. I could be wrong since I'm away from books but I was under the impression that Nutrition works more like the Stim spell than a vending machine.
Speed Wraith
Nutrition, page 170 SM and Sustenance power, page 179 SM.

They don't actually create food, but they satisfy food needs in the case of Nutrition, or make what little you have go farther, in the case of Sustenance.
Stahlseele
Create Food was in SR3.
It created a nutrituous tasteless grey gruel.
bannockburn
Which is, colloquially called, Soylent Green!
RIP Harrison frown.gif
almost normal
Just make the spell up.
SpellBinder
Goes against RAW. Street Magic, page 160 in the side bar of "The Limits Of Sorcery", the second to last entry "Sorcery Cannot Create Complex Things". If you can't use magic to create something as simple as a hammer, what makes you think it could create something as complex as a hamburger. IIRC these same limitations existed in SR3 as well.

When I first read Stahlseele's post, I first thought to the D&D spell of the same name that did just as he described (created a tasteless yet nutritious gray paste).
Stahlseele
Nope.
SR3.
Magic in the Shadows page 147.
Create Food.
Additional Net hits can be used to improve the quality of the food.

So yes, with enough Hits you could conjour a Pizza out of thin air!
SpellBinder
I can see why it was never recreated in 4th (at least from the material I have). To me it breaks the limit of sorcery that I mentioned. Otherwise, if I can create a pizza from nothing, why can't I create something simpler like a hammer or a gun? (comparing the variety of chemicals, nutrients, vitamins and minerals, etc. that are in a pizza to a simpler form of solid iron for a hammer)
Blade
It's a spell that led to many problems, it's better left missing.
Stahlseele
Spirit Wealth-Power still there?
Aerospider
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 17 2012, 09:56 AM) *
Spirit Wealth-Power still there?

Yes, in both temporary and permanent forms.
Halinn
Given that transmutation is fine (turn to goo, petrification etc), a create food spell could work by transmuting air into pizza.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Aug 17 2012, 11:03 AM) *
Yes, in both temporary and permanent forms.

So there is precedent still
QUOTE (Halinn @ Aug 17 2012, 11:05 AM) *
Given that transmutation is fine (turn to goo, petrification etc), a create food spell could work by transmuting air into pizza.

A loophole!
Neraph
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 17 2012, 03:33 AM) *
A loophole!

A delicious loophole!
Yerameyahu
Aren't those sustained, not permanent? I wonder what happens if you eat it and then it stops.

Presumably, goo and calcium carbonate are 'simple' materials. If salt is food, then yes. (All standard 'Goo is awful' comments also apply. wink.gif )
Stahlseele
And a bit chewy . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012