Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cybereyes
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FriendoftheDork
Hello

In the games I've played we have simply assumed that the runners all have eye recording units in cybereyes, or at least micro cameras. Now the latter might be an oversight, but how does one prevent espionage using Cybereyes?

This is like the many cell phone cameras in the world today, except you can't even see anyone using it (without hacking his 'ware), can't see if they have it without a Cyberware scanner, and surely can't easily take them away without ripping out eyes - something which is not considered polite even in criminal settings.

So how can Mr. Boss man even speak to anyone without risking being recorded in trideo? How to prevent the runners from doing it in a meet? How can the runners prevent anyone from doing it when being a witness?

Eye Recording unit: This comes for free with Cybereyes and allows data to be recorded from the optical nerve to an UNLIMITED storage unit, which vaguely can be set to only communicate with an Datajack or Sim Module.

I find that this game still opens up these kinds of questions despite having used the rules for awhile and not thinking about it.

On another note, what exactly is needed for mentally interfacing a commlink? Sim Module and Trode Net/Datajack? Implanted commlink? This is another thing we take for granted every runner can do.

Sid Nitzerglobin
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Sep 30 2012, 07:30 PM) *
On another note, what exactly is needed for mentally interfacing a commlink? Sim Module and Trode Net/Datajack? Implanted commlink? This is another thing we take for granted every runner can do.

My interpretation of RAW:
Trodes provide the DNI necessary to control a commlink and other nodes on your PAN mentally. Sim Module allows for direct I/O of all sensory data to/from your PAN or other nodes. Sim Rig lets you record the sensory data. Implanted commlink is only necessary if you want to raise the difficuly of your commlink being removed from your person and/or not have to use trodes.
TheOOB
One thing you have to remember is that shadowrunners are professionals, and their reputation is very important. A runner who sells out a Johnson will never find work again, and a Johnson with a lot to hide won't hire runners who don't have a reputation. And, if you really can afford to have something recorded, don't show it to anyone. Runners Companion talks a lot about how everything in the 6th world is recorded, but why that doesn't always mean what you might think it means.
Yerameyahu
You can do this with just *eyes*, and a simrig. Which everyone should have. Or a microcamera, literally invisible to the naked eye I think?
FuelDrop
It suddenly occurs to me that a camera neutralized might detect cybereyes and blast them automatically...
that would suck!

Rules wise I'd probably count it as a flash-pack for anyone with cybereyes trying to shoot at someone or something equipped with a camera neutralizer... *nods thoughtfully, stroking Beard of Evil™*
SpellBinder
I'd recon there's a basic facial recognition program with a camera neutralizier so it can recognize cybereyes in a person's head to other cameras. Of course, said program can likely be hacked or edited...

Thanks for the idea, FuelDrop.
kzt
QUOTE (TheOOB @ Sep 30 2012, 05:53 PM) *
One thing you have to remember is that shadowrunners are professionals, and their reputation is very important. A runner who sells out a Johnson will never find work again, and a Johnson with a lot to hide won't hire runners who don't have a reputation.

Bah, dead Johnsons tell no tales.
FuelDrop
QUOTE (kzt @ Oct 1 2012, 09:13 AM) *
Bah, dead Johnsons tell no tales.

Johnsons are middlemen. you'll need to kill the guy who employed him for no tales to be told.
Lantzer
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 1 2012, 01:29 AM) *
It suddenly occurs to me that a camera neutralized might detect cybereyes and blast them automatically...
that would suck!

Rules wise I'd probably count it as a flash-pack for anyone with cybereyes trying to shoot at someone or something equipped with a camera neutralizer... *nods thoughtfully, stroking Beard of Evil™*

Cybereyes are CCD cameras, so yes, a camera neutralizer would treat them as such. So I'd be careful with a CN if I don't want to be arrested for assault.
Yerameyahu
I'm not aware that neutralizers detect cybereyes, no. They might as well just 'neutralize' everyone's eyes, cyber or not. smile.gif
Lantzer
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 1 2012, 03:17 AM) *
I'm not aware that neutralizers detect cybereyes, no. They might as well just 'neutralize' everyone's eyes, cyber or not. smile.gif

Non-cyber (normal) eyes wouldn't set off the pattern-recognition software that the CN uses to aim the lasers. Cybereyes are cameras. The functional end is the same, with the same technology. So a piece of gear designed to attack cameras would attack cybereyes.

I'd put camera neutralizers in places where people aren't supposed to be anyway. Keeps those darned papparazzi at bay, without attacking the general public.

I suppose that's another good reason for mirrorshades.
Yerameyahu
No, I'm saying: why wouldn't someone simply change that pattern recognition to intentionally blind *everything*? smile.gif

Also, I'm not convinced cybereyes would ping the normal system. They look like eyes. You could just as easily say the game treats them as eyes, not cameras.
FuelDrop
I just got my hands on a copy of the herolab spy games download and spotted the camera burner. It's basically a camera neutralizer on steroids that permanently destroys any camera it hits unless it has flare protection (which has a chance to save it).

Assuming that it does work on cybereyes... that could be both really nasty and very expensive. As I understand it Cybereyes are the most common form of augmentation, so setting up a camera burner in a public place is an incredibly destructive way of creating a distraction. It'll also kill cameras from commlinks, just to be even nastier to the unfortunate civilians in the area.
Yerameyahu
Another reason to assume it doesn't work. We'd have heard otherwise!
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Oct 1 2012, 12:44 PM) *

well we know it works on drone sensors...
kzt
QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 30 2012, 10:44 PM) *

Your assuming that CGL thinks about the obvious implications of the stuff they toss out, or even understands that the concept of implications. I haven't seen any evidence of this since Frank and AH bailed, and certainly the idiocy in Bogota! could lead one to think that everyone involved quit school in 6th grade to work as a roadie for a rock band.
Manunancy
In my opinion the problem with the camera burner is what exactly it uses to tell (that thing here is a camera and i need to fry it' - a simple 'probe' low-power laser beam that spots glass would react to mere glasses, windows and the like so you probably miwx that with a camera and some sort of pattern recognition to discriminate what's what. Which means it will happily fry your cameras too, unless it can include some sort of IFF system.
kzt
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Sep 30 2012, 11:56 PM) *
In my opinion the problem with the camera burner is what exactly it uses to tell (that thing here is a camera and i need to fry it' - a simple 'probe' low-power laser beam that spots glass would react to mere glasses, windows and the like so you probably miwx that with a camera and some sort of pattern recognition to discriminate what's what. Which means it will happily fry your cameras too, unless it can include some sort of IFF system.

I suspect they were trying for the effect noted here: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/FutureTec...9800&page=1
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Manunancy @ Oct 1 2012, 01:56 PM) *

Yeah, I think that both a camera neutralizer and a camera burner need to have an IFF system, particularly if anyone in your group is using a smartgun system, cybereyes, any form of surveillance gear, a commlink, or... hang on, almost every shadowrunner is going to have at least one part of that list already!

...Yeah, a IFF system is pretty much a must have.

Ooh, what happens if you install a camera in your contact lenses and a camera burner detects it? that can't be fun!
Makki
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Oct 1 2012, 01:30 AM) *
How to prevent the runners from doing it in a meet?

Runners may very well record the meet with the Johnson. However, they won't find any relevant information on him except for him being a regular Johnson. He's just a middle man doing his job. If they ever figured out something important about a Johnson and his affiliations and tried to sell it, use it, take advantage, Runners at my table could expect a "Goodbye"- call from their fixer immidiately. Because they're rules even in the shadows.
However, the recorded information can be helpful if it's the screwing-kind of Johnson.
kzt
QUOTE (Makki @ Oct 1 2012, 12:16 AM) *
However, the recorded information can be helpful if it's the screwing-kind of Johnson.

We always made it a point to kill anyone who tried that. Things sometimes work out badly and that's OK, but we would expend a lot of effort to get anyone who set us up.
The Jopp
An Eye recorder installed into a meat-eye would be impossible for a camera neutralizer to even find.

It can be inside the head connected to the visual cortex so it is dependent on the natural vision of the user.
Thanee
Virtual meetings, Physical Mask spell, physical disguises, ...

Bye
Thanee
The Jopp
I imagine that anything important in 2070+ will not be obviously visible or simply only available for the initiated or criminals intended to see/have it.
Nath
QUOTE (FriendoftheDork @ Oct 1 2012, 12:30 AM) *
So how can Mr. Boss man even speak to anyone without risking being recorded in trideo? How to prevent the runners from doing it in a meet? How can the runners prevent anyone from doing it when being a witness?

Not a definitive answer, but I know quite a number of GM consider technology allows audio, video and trideo to be doctored in a way nearly undistinguishable from authentic records (not to mention "authentic records" actually showing an actor with physical mask or a trid phantasm). That premise would imply that records sould have near zero value as proof. But they can retain some value for intelligence (removing the need for police portraits for instance).

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Oct 1 2012, 12:53 AM) *
One thing you have to remember is that shadowrunners are professionals, and their reputation is very important. A runner who sells out a Johnson will never find work again, and a Johnson with a lot to hide won't hire runners who don't have a reputation.
Runners have a reputation, a willingness to commit crimes, and some skills. A fixer really only has a reputation. His job is to bring together trusthworty people to hammer a deal. If one side doesn't meet the expectation of the other, it's the fixer fault, and his reputation is hurt. Compare to what usually happens to mobster who introduced police informants or undercover cops to the gang.

That's why M. Johnson does need to know the runners' names or anything: the fixer does. He knows who they are, he knows where they live, he knows which fake SIN they use and which accounts store their pay. Because he provided most of it in the first place. If he didn't, another fixer did, and they know each other and will warn the "community" about untrustworthy runners and Johnsons.

(insert here a dozen of forum replies of people narrating how their character is so unbelievably good that he doesn't need a fixer for anything)
The Jopp
QUOTE (Nath @ Oct 1 2012, 09:24 AM) *
That's why M. Johnson does need to know the runners' names or anything: the fixer does. He knows who they are, he knows where they live, he knows which fake SIN they use and which accounts store their pay. Because he provided most of it in the first place. If he didn't, another fixer did, and they know each other and will warn the "community" about untrustworthy runners and Johnsons.

Well, the M.Johnson only knows what the Fixer is getting from the runners themselves or his intelligence network.

Depending on how paranoid the runner is each new job can entail entirely new information to the fixer. Heck, the fixer might have to go through another fixer just to get the current phone number to the runner.

A runner named "the shadow hacker" should not be a hacker easily found if his entire character is a mysterious enigma.
Krishach
as far as cybereyes being cameras, I disagree somewhat, not because of the reality of the technology, but by the wording used:

QUOTE (SR4A pg 340)
This system offers 20/20 vision for both eyes and in-
cludes an image link and an eye recording unit (for no extra cost), as
well as capacity for various enhancement systems.

This tends to suggest to me that the eye functionality does not necessarily directly involve the recording unit as part of the transmission to the brain. It would make sense: the eye-brain nerve interface does not function the same as a digital camera. There has to be a separation at some point: it could easily be separate systems entirely. And I have to think Big Corp would worry more about illicit recordings by employees through cybereyes than a Johnson or Fixer, so there has to be something somewhere.
Nath
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 1 2012, 10:28 AM) *
Depending on how paranoid the runner is each new job can entail entirely new information to the fixer. Heck, the fixer might have to go through another fixer just to get the current phone number to the runner.
Which defeat the entire point of having a fixer. If you do not trust a fixer to simply have a phone number, why should he trust you to meet eye-to-eye his priced corporate contacts and hear and see full details of their black ops? Tips: he won't. Trust works both way.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (Krishach @ Oct 1 2012, 11:35 AM) *
as far as cybereyes being cameras, I disagree somewhat, not because of the reality of the technology, but by the wording used:

This tends to suggest to me that the eye functionality does not necessarily directly involve the recording unit as part of the transmission to the brain. It would make sense: the eye-brain nerve interface does not function the same as a digital camera. There has to be a separation at some point: it could easily be separate systems entirely. And I have to think Big Corp would worry more about illicit recordings by employees through cybereyes than a Johnson or Fixer, so there has to be something somewhere.

I think you're the first to actually think of this in a non-Shadowrun way. The point isn't that Runners can try to blackmail Johnsons, or the other way around. The point is that EVERYONE can do it. Imagine a high security research area: Employees are screened, have to leave their commlinks behind, but they can still just look at things and trideo the whole place. Then they could sell that information say to a Mr. Johnson, a Fixer, or Shadowrunners - probably without the corp finding out about it.

Maybe the easiest solution is some sort of Cyberware locker that they had in Project Hope - basically a device that could scan for and lock certain types of 'ware and render it harmless. This would of course require access permission from the subject, but that could be forced. That would essentially mean the user were taken away his admin rights of his own cyberware....
The Jopp
You could be forced to have an open connection to the cybereyes in sensitive areas and probably get a HUD message saying your camera is offline.

At the same time you want those eyes protected from any other DNI connected ware is/when/always the corp is injecting walware and tracking cookies into your eye...
FuelDrop
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 1 2012, 06:58 PM) *
You could be forced to have an open connection to the cybereyes in sensitive areas and probably get a HUD message saying your camera is offline.

At the same time you want those eyes protected from any other DNI connected ware is/when/always the corp is injecting walware and tracking cookies into your eye...

Is it any wonder why my character doesn't like cybereyes?
The Jopp
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Oct 1 2012, 12:10 PM) *
Is it any wonder why my character doesn't like cybereyes?

I have no problem with MY cybereyes...it's all those OTHER people recording everything I do that is the problem.
FriendoftheDork
QUOTE (The Jopp @ Oct 1 2012, 12:58 PM) *

Connection open to what? Everyone? We're getting closer I think wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012