Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Second-hand 'Ware
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
To all you GMs out there:
Would you consider it reasonable for a player to have second hand ware and say that it's not actually second hand, merely last-generation tech? mechanically the same, just a different flavor.
Draco18s
It's a fluff change, so yes.
Glyph
Yes. I would also let people use the second-hand 'ware rules to simulate "bargain"-brand 'ware, or 'ware less-than-optimally installed by a back-alley surgeon.
Xenefungus
Except for used Alpha...
The Jopp
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Oct 8 2012, 09:40 AM) *
Except for used Alpha...

I would say that yes, it works as a "lesser brand".

I would apply a concealability bonus of +1 when worn under clothing as the ware is slimmer and less bulky but they are less concerned with the wiring causing it to cost more cash and give no bonus or drawback to Essence.

Also, the availability of second hand alpha is 1 point less than the better brands.
Xenefungus
The point is that used alphaware is strictly better than standard. Same cost, 0.96 times the essence.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Oct 8 2012, 09:14 AM) *
The point is that used alphaware is strictly better than standard. Same cost, 0.96 times the essence.

Only if you use crazy math. smile.gif
100% +20% and -20% still equals 100%. Additives are the way to calculate it.
Only if you multiply do you get the .96 Essence Cost oddity.
smile.gif

Besides, even if you do calculate it to the .96 essence. Alpha Ware IS better than Standard, even used. smile.gif
Xenefungus
Even if you calculate it like that (which i of course like better wink.gif), used Alpha is still better than standard even when Nuyen and essence are the same. The reason is because alphaware is harder to detect than standard.

I think the most sane way would be ruling that used alpha just does not exist. I dont think the game would be missing a whole lot with that rule - plus the rule as is is not very well thought through obviously.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Xenefungus @ Oct 8 2012, 10:32 AM) *
Even if you calculate it like that (which i of course like better wink.gif), used Alpha is still better than standard even when Nuyen and essence are the same. The reason is because alphaware is harder to detect than standard.

I think the most sane way would be ruling that used alpha just does not exist. I dont think the game would be missing a whole lot with that rule - plus the rule as is is not very well thought through obviously.

Well, yes, Alphaware IS DEFINITIVELY better than Standard Ware, no question, even if it is second hand. smile.gif
Halinn
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Oct 8 2012, 05:45 PM) *
Only if you use crazy math. smile.gif

Also known as actual real mathematics.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Halinn @ Oct 8 2012, 10:10 AM) *
Also known as actual real mathematics.

But not in the books. smile.gif
This has been discussed so many times that I do not want to re-address it. If you like, you can look up the threads. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012