Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone making any special plans for the 21st?
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Snow_Fox
Well we are less than 3 weeks away from the awakening. (maybe) For those of us who were playing SR when 1st ed came out that seemed a LONG way off but SR has survived decades. Over time we've compared how the tech levels have deviated from game line-a nuyen.gif 150 wrist phone was high tech back then and we couldn't have even considered smart phones and all their apps and now, a friday down the line, will be the date. anyone planning a party? hiding in a bunker?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 6 2012, 12:00 AM) *
Well we are less than 3 weeks away from the awakening. (maybe) For those of us who were playing SR when 1st ed came out that seemed a LONG way off but SR has survived decades. Over time we've compared how the tech levels have deviated from game line-a nuyen.gif 150 wrist phone was high tech back then and we couldn't have even considered smart phones and all their apps and now, a friday down the line, will be the date. anyone planning a party? hiding in a bunker?

I know there's an End of the World (furry) Con. I'm not attending though. Probably just stay home and play Thaumcraft. nyahnyah.gif
Neko Asakami
We're having an End of the World/Holy Fuck, It's the Awakening Party here. Still hammering out the details of things like where it's gonna be since we're getting three different groups from two states together for it. Should be fairly epic.
WhiskeyJohnny
I'd like to, since I didn't manage to make it out for Big D's debut in Denver. But we'll have to see if anything is happening up here, or down in the Mile High City.
Ruby
I'm working on my "Welcome, Draconic Overlords!" sign for when the dragons wake up wink.gif (More than likely I'm just gonna be chilling with my husband)
Draco18s
QUOTE (Ruby @ Dec 6 2012, 02:18 AM) *
I'm working on my "Welcome, Draconic Overlords!" sign for when the dragons wake up

Some of us are already here. You just don't know it yet. wink.gif

I mean...
Neko Asakami
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 6 2012, 08:25 AM) *
Some of us are already here. You just don't know it yet. wink.gif

I mean...

All Hail the Orange Queen? (that was her handle, back in the day, wasn't it?)
Lionhearted
I won't be excited until I hear from Japan about that dragon... Now, what colour for the lodge?
Draco18s
QUOTE (Neko Asakami @ Dec 6 2012, 05:14 PM) *
All Hail the Orange Queen? (that was her handle, back in the day, wasn't it?)

Twas.
She argued with LaughingMan a lot.
The Key of E
I was going to plan an End of the World party for the 21st, but I already have like 3 parties that week, including a pagan Yule celebration on the 23rd. It just seemed like overkill.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (The Key of E @ Dec 6 2012, 04:01 PM) *
I was going to plan an End of the World party for the 21st, but I already have like 3 parties that week, including a pagan Yule celebration on the 23rd. It just seemed like overkill.

Well, Enjoy Yule... smile.gif
taeksosin
Going to Disneyland. If it's the end of the world, I wanna end at the happiest place on Earth.
Lantzer
Calling my mom and wishing her Happy Birthday.

What? If its the end of the world, it'd be rude to forget my mom's birthday. She's already got 'ware. They didn't tell her the essense cost, though.
CanRay
For me, it'll be... Friday.
Elfenlied
Me? I've got some print-out copies of Necronomicon and the lesser key of Solomon lying around. I'll kidnap some neighbourhood pets, and will use their blood to form a summoning circle in my basement. If my offerings appease the dark gods, I will be a mage. If not, I will be arrested for kidnapping and killing animals nyahnyah.gif

Either way, I'll be sure to enjoy some mulled wine.

Redjack
Just another end of the long count for me. Once you've seen one, you've seen 'em all.
Neraph
I will be in MCRD, San Diego, California.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2012, 07:40 AM) *
I will be in MCRD, San Diego, California.

Dare I say Congratulations? Joining or visiting?
Semper Fi.
Sengir
Just the other day I a saw a book with Nostradamus and Hildegard von Bingen (local favorite among among greens with an esoteric bend) prophecies for 2013 on the "just in" pile at a store...looks like even the cranks start abandoning the show frown.gif
ShadowDragon8685
QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Dec 7 2012, 07:36 AM) *
Me? I've got some print-out copies of Necronomicon and the lesser key of Solomon lying around. I'll kidnap some neighbourhood pets, and will use their blood to form a summoning circle in my basement. If my offerings appease the dark gods, I will be a mage. If not, I will be arrested for kidnapping and killing animals nyahnyah.gif

Wouldn't it be better to hedge your bets by buying animals specifically to sacrifice?
Lionhearted
QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 7 2012, 07:21 AM) *

OF COURSE!
nezumi
A friend is holding an End of the World party. I'm purchasing all elastic-lined clothes so if I goblinize, they'll still fit.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (The Key of E @ Dec 7 2012, 12:01 AM) *

We still celebrate Jul, only nowadays it's just another name for christmas. Neo pagans always intrigued me in a way...
Neraph
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 7 2012, 09:13 AM) *
Dare I say Congratulations? Joining or visiting?
Semper Fi.

I ship out the 10th.

QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 7 2012, 12:21 AM) *

Couldn't resist.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2012, 09:02 AM) *
I ship out the 10th.

Semper Fidelis Marine.
Remember, Hollywood Marines are the Best. smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 7 2012, 12:58 PM) *

oh, the world will still be here. and so will we. common misconception. what it is is the end of an era.
a boundary where things on the other side are radically different.
the thing is though.
we might already have crossed.
Stahlseele
There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
Lionhearted
Just wanted to point out, the mayans didn't have leap years... the end of the long count happened quite a while ago.
darthmord
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 7 2012, 12:48 PM) *
Just wanted to point out, the mayans didn't have leap years... the end of the long count happened quite a while ago.

Common misconception. They didn't have leap years because they already accounted for the odd length year. Gregorian calendars require the leap year to keep time straight. The Mayans didn't need them because their calendar got it right.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 7 2012, 01:48 PM) *

Actually, it doesn't matter, because the long count -> current date conversion was done by people who know better, and so it was accounted for.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (darthmord @ Dec 7 2012, 10:57 AM) *
Common misconception. They didn't have leap years because they already accounted for the odd length year. Gregorian calendars require the leap year to keep time straight. The Mayans didn't need them because their calendar got it right.

Hmmm, I'd be interested to see the astronomy behind their calendar then - given that the astronomical year takes a non-natural number of days - so they would have to include some form of correction to keep their calendar year in sync.
Neraph
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Dec 7 2012, 12:16 PM) *
Hmmm, I'd be interested to see the astronomy behind their calendar then - given that the astronomical year takes a non-natural number of days - so they would have to include some form of correction to keep their calendar year in sync.

Lunar calendars are more accurate in keeping time than solar ones. We only use a solar calendar because some Roman emperor thought he knew best.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (darthmord @ Dec 7 2012, 06:57 PM) *

Gregorian calender 365 days 12 months, leap day every year evenly divideable by four.

Mesoamerican solar calender 365 days 18 months, 5 monthless days every year.

Actual solar cycle roughly 365 and ¼ of a day.

No... they didn't adjust their calender to compensate
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 7 2012, 06:58 PM) *
Actually, it doesn't matter, because the long count -> current date conversion was done by people who know better, and so it was accounted for.

Are you sure?
I got my information from NASA PSA's, I think they know better aswell.
Neko Asakami
I'd like to see those NASA PSAs honestly. I only knew of one and it didn't include anything about "skipping leap days."
Lionhearted
You're right Neko it wasn't NASA, the hell did I get it from then...
@Neraph Why on earth would a sun worshipping culture use a lunar calender?
Stahlseele
Because the SUN does NOT tell you when it's safe to go near your woman . .
Sengir
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2012, 07:59 PM) *
Lunar calendars are more accurate in keeping time than solar ones.

Tell that to Muslims when they have to fast in summer, because a lunar calendar is used to determine religious dates wink.gif
CanRay
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 7 2012, 01:09 PM) *
oh, the world will still be here. and so will we. common misconception. what it is is the end of an era.
What? AGAIN?

I've already lived through two or three!
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2012, 11:59 AM) *
Lunar calendars are more accurate in keeping time than solar ones. We only use a solar calendar because some Roman emperor thought he knew best.

Are you sure about that? Given that the seasons (the tracking of which I suspect is the original purpose of a calendar) are based on Solar phenomena I would suspect that the opposite is true. And I don't think a Lunar calendar would work for navigation, since that is also based upon the position of the sun and the stars and their positions on the ecliptic and time of observation.

Edit:

QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 7 2012, 01:02 PM) *
What? AGAIN?

I've already lived through two or three!

I think the latest was when you actually got to play Shadowrun!
CanRay
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Dec 7 2012, 04:04 PM) *
I think the latest was when you actually got to play Shadowrun!
*Blinks*

OK, three or four then. nyahnyah.gif
Neraph
QUOTE (WhiskeyJohnny @ Dec 7 2012, 02:04 PM) *
Are you sure about that? Given that the seasons (the tracking of which I suspect is the original purpose of a calendar) are based on Solar phenomena I would suspect that the opposite is true. And I don't think a Lunar calendar would work for navigation, since that is also based upon the position of the sun and the stars and their positions on the ecliptic and time of observation.

The seventh post in particular hits it pretty well. Also, what calendar you use does not mean you use the sun or the moon in navigation; or, it doesn't matter to navigating what calendar you use.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Neraph @ Dec 7 2012, 03:06 PM) *
The seventh post in particular hits it pretty well. Also, what calendar you use does not mean you use the sun or the moon in navigation; or, it doesn't matter to navigating what calendar you use.

Ok, so the Lunar Calendar is good for when you want to track the phases of the moon, and want the various lunar phenomena to occur on the same day each month - I still don't see how that measures time more accurately than a solar calendar, given that the periodicity of the moon's phases doesn't map accurately to the seasons (and the position of the sun and other heavenly bodies that cause/accompany them) year on year. Consequently, the position of the earth relative to the sun (or sun to earth, if you're using the Ptolemaic system) wouldn't be the same on each date, year on year. Also navigating by a lunar calendar would be rather difficult (for traditional Sextant, Star Chart, Date, Clock navigation), as you would need a different chart for every year (within the 33 year (or however long) lunar/solar calendar synchronization period) in order to accurately place yourself on the globe.

So yeah, even looking at the seventh post in your link, I don't see how one could say that a lunar calendar tracks time more accurately than a solar calendar.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 7 2012, 03:10 PM) *
Gregorian calender 365 days 12 months, leap day every year evenly divideable by four.

Unless it's a new century (1800, 1900) unless that century is divisible by 4 (2000).

In 8000 years that'll leave us off by a day.
Lionhearted
The long count is based on a 52 year cycle, where the 260 day religious calender coincide with the 365 day solar calender, that didn't adjust for leap days. The accuracy of a lunar calender isn't really relevant when the people in question didn't use a yearly lunar calender.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 7 2012, 11:25 PM) *
Unless it's a new century (1800, 1900) unless that century is divisible by 4 (2000).

Guuuh, let's switch to star dates or something.
WhiskeyJohnny
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 7 2012, 03:25 PM) *

And the people in charge of the UTC will throw in a day and we'll be back on track (I'm assuming that, by that time, UTC timekeeping will be a hobby, kinda like ham radio operation or model trains).
Stahlseele
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 7 2012, 11:34 PM) *
Guuuh, let's switch to star dates or something.

090012M3
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 7 2012, 11:38 PM) *
090012M3

Not a trekkie, how does it work?
edit: Apparently not at all, I thought they kept track of their techno babble...
taeksosin
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 7 2012, 11:53 AM) *
Because the SUN does NOT tell you when it's safe to go near your woman . .

This. Absolutely this.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012