Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun Dice App
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
nylanfs
So my wife got me a smartphone for xmas. Anyone know of a good dice roller for an android phone? Preferably one that I can set the target number & roll 20 dice. If I had to shake the phone to roll that would be cool also.

Also can anyone suggest any other apps for gaming? I play in a SR and Pathfinder game.
Tanegar
My choice is Mobile Runner. It doesn't have variable TNs, but it does everything else, including a "dice cup" where you shake the phone to roll.
pbangarth
I just looked up Mobile Runner, even though I don't have an Android phone. Call me a paranoid runner, but the permissions it has seem awful powerful and very useful to a malicious hacker.
All4BigGuns
Just looked it up online and the browser immediately flagged the site as untrustworthy. I think you're right pbangarth, not paranoid.
Tanegar
Egad. App deleted.
ravensmuse
There's one on the iPhone (I know, I know) whose free version just allows dice rolling, but you have to buy it for like, $5 in order to customize the rolls.

What's the legal policy on these things? Can you really charge five bucks for a dice app for a game someone else owns?
Sengir
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 10 2012, 06:54 AM) *
I just looked up Mobile Runner, even though I don't have an Android phone. Call me a paranoid runner, but the permissions it has seem awful powerful and very useful to a malicious hacker.

Die App benötigt READ_PHONE_STATE, damit sie mitbekommt, wenn das Telefon klingelt und in den Hintergrund schalten kann. INTERNET und WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE werden benötigt, um .chum-Dateien herunterladen und auf der Speicherkarte speichern zu können. CAMERA wird benötigt, um URL über einen QR-Code einscannen zu können.

READ_PHONE_STATE is required to switch to the background on an incoming call, INTERNET and WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE for downloading .chum files, and CAMERA for reading QR codes.

Personally I use DieDroid, very clean display, highlights successes and ones, and has the added charm of being FOSS...Mobile Runner was really sluggish when I tried it a few versions back, though maybe that has been fixed in the meantime.
Tanegar
I downloaded DieDroid. It is, indeed, an admirably clean and simple app, does everything I need it to do, and does everything the OP wants with the exception of being able to shake the phone to roll.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 10 2012, 07:06 AM) *
READ_PHONE_STATE is required to switch to the background on an incoming call, INTERNET and WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE for downloading .chum files, and CAMERA for reading QR codes.
Yeah, I see how those functions work. I just wonder about why it needs to know the phone number to which you are connected (or your own number for that matter), and worry about phrases like "without your confirmation".
Sengir
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 10 2012, 04:37 PM) *
Yeah, I see how those functions work. I just wonder about why it needs to know the phone number to which you are connected (or your own number for that matter), and worry about phrases like "without your confirmation".

Permissions on Android are not fine-grained enough to specify "check whether a call is incoming but don't see any details about the call" or "only modify files with .chum extension in folder X", accordingly those warnings are boilerplate texts for what an app with this category of permissions COULD do, not what this app actually DOES. wink.gif
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 10 2012, 10:14 AM) *
Permissions on Android are not fine-grained enough to specify "check whether a call is incoming but don't see any details about the call" or "only modify files with .chum extension in folder X", accordingly those warnings are boilerplate texts for what an app with this category of permissions COULD do, not what this app actually DOES. wink.gif

Doesn't change that my browser flagged the website as untrustworthy within a second of typing it into the address bar.
bannockburn
The app is supported by Pegasus (the German publisher, if you don't know them) and constantly being worked on. It's safe, but of course, you can panic all you want ^^
My browser sometimes flags some of the webcomics I read daily as untrustworthy ... it's often a problem with the ads they run. In general, caution is to be applauded, but in this case there's a mile long thread in the Pegasus forum that tells me it's alright smile.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Dec 10 2012, 05:38 PM) *
Doesn't change that my browser flagged the website as untrustworthy within a second of typing it into the address bar.

What site, Play Store? Also, I tend to give not too much about blacklists, they are an indication at best...just about every server has probably been on one at some point.
All4BigGuns
QUOTE (Sengir @ Dec 10 2012, 10:48 AM) *
What site, Play Store? Also, I tend to give not too much about blacklists, they are an indication at best...just about every server has probably been on one at some point.

Heck no. I tested the waters with my desktop first. After seeing that, I ain't touchin' it with a ten foot pole.
KarmaInferno
play.google.com?

The official app store for Android?

-k
Sengir
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Dec 10 2012, 06:23 PM) *
Heck no. I tested the waters with my desktop first. After seeing that

Again, on which site did you see "that"?
nylanfs
Okay I am definitely liking DieDroid, wish it had saved pools though. Anything else recommended?
Buccaneer
QUOTE (All4BigGuns @ Dec 10 2012, 05:38 PM) *

I suppose you write about the website given in the Play-Store? http://www.quintanion.net ?

As the developer of the Mobile Runner (and the website) I am very interested in the reason why your browser didn't like the website.
I know, the site is far away from good looking. But I know about no reason why it should be flagged as untrustworthy.
Which browser did you use and what causes the alert?

Greetings from Hamburg

Buc
nylanfs
Hello Buc, I'm using Firefox 17.0.1 and it didn't come up as flagged, of course I'm only using Windows 7 with the basic MS Security Essentials here at work though.
KCKitsune
I use Dice Bag. Simple, clean, can be configured for Target numbers, and requires no permissions at all.
nylanfs
Heya Buccaner, is there a way you could include HeroLab import? I can get you several versions of the xml output from my character if you need something to reference.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012