Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Two german cons.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Convention Information
Pages: 1, 2
The_Sarge
Ok, I just wanted to inform that next month the RatCon takes place. This is the FanPro in-house convention which officially centers around the house-games, but you can find many sessions on-site which will play many other games.

Then, in October, we've got the Spiel '03. Biggest toy fare in Europe. (NOT only roleplaying. Everything game-related but with a quite large portion set aside for rpg's.)

The germans here should all know about this, but I wondered if some other folks would be able to attend one of these cons.

People from the Netherlands don't have much to travel, as RatCon is stationed in Dortmund, whereas the Spiel is in Essen.

. . .

So, any chances of meeting some of you there?
SgtSavage
With some more info on Spiel 03, I just may attend. It'd be nice to get back down around my old stomping grounds. Have any more info for me, Sarge?
The_Sarge
http://www.merz-verlag.com/d/spiel/

Here you go!

If you need translation help, just ask what you're looking for...
SgtSavage
Perfect...thanks! No translation help needed, though...thanks...I was stationed there for almost 6 years. wink.gif

It looks great...have you been there before?
The_Sarge
Yepp, the last two years.
I even got to a merchant, who offered me 20% price cut, just because he liked my attitude. biggrin.gif

The people are friendly, nice and pretty outgoing. There are many american and british folks running around and it's always nice to barter with them. Yeah, that's the most fun part: "I buy two shirts and this book and you give me 5%?" - "Hell... Yeah, why not? Be my quest!"

You feel kinda' dumb though, when you start talking english to some vendor, and then he looks at you and mildly states: "Wir können auch deutsch..."

Ooops... biggrin.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
I heartely endorse getting over to Spiel if you can - it's quite an event indeed. Plus there's all of that lovely German beer and the local clubs to hang out at afterwards!

If you're lucky you can even terrorise a few of the local DSF regulars in person with the German Phrasebook of Doom! (Make sure they don't confiscate it though - BTW can I have it back now TW?) Alternatively you can always seek out a spare space and a game of SR with them. Beware though, you might be sudenly "allocated" as the GM and then have to use a German rulebook because they catch you unprepared!

Time to roll out the bad Dutch accents again eh Stormy, Honourableman, TW?

BTW - any Brits out there who want to attend, it's just a short hop over the channel or via the chunnel. The EuroStar gets to Brussels and then its off to Essen via Koln (Cologne) all for about £100 or so return whereas if you're up for a bit of an overnight bus and ferry trip there's one that gets you there and back for half that if you pre-book it.
Bitten by the bug
If I come, where can I crash??
Though I have to check with Dutch and grandparents and my school and all...

This sounds like more fun than the danish Viking Con. smile.gif And I can meet some of you guys... biggrin.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
Be careful what you wish for Bitten - you may just get it... biggrin.gif
The_Sarge
IF you would like to attend, I am quite certain that I can get two people over at my place. Free meals et al. biggrin.gif

I'm in Gelsenkirchen, which ist just 20min's away from Essen.

So, 2(two) places are free. (Expect nothing too fancy, though. The best you might get is your own room, if I get my sister to crash with her bf, the worst would be... Your own small room as I crash my sister's. *g*)

I've got enough mattraces and beds, so that's no problem.

Oh! And I don't speak any other languages besides english and germen, ok? Perhaps some broken polish, but that won't get me too far with you, won't it?
Bitten by the bug
Nope, it wouldn't.
My german is pretty rusty though, but StormSpirit thought that I just needed training.
Beeste, what did you mean by that??

I'll let you know soonish if I can come. Perhaps even Dutch will attend.. wink.gif
But save me a bed, Sarge, if you would be so kind? smile.gif
The_Sarge
One bed reserved and another one held back in hopes of Mr. -DK attending too. *scribbles down notes*

What would you like for breakfast?
Bitten by the bug
Ye're joking!? eek.gif
I'll let you know as soon as I know if we/I am coming.
The_Sarge
biggrin.gif Although it was an attempt at humour, I also would have accepted your wishes. I _would be_ able to fulfill your wishes if you state them early enough.

Two or three days up front would be good enough.

Perhaps I will have tidied up my place untill then. *g*
BIG BAD BEESTE
Hoi Sarge, could you tell me the dates for the Spiel '03? It's sometime mid-October isn't it? Just need to know to see if I'm free to make it over and so I can get cheap-rate travel by pre-booking. I'd ask TW but he's currently on hols and uncertain if he's attending.

Cheers Term.
The_Sarge
Hmm...
My location got free, 'cause Bitten and Dutch can not attend. So, if you want to get something _really_ cheap (Say, like, completely free. *g*), I'd have a place for you to drop by.

Spiel is from 23. to 25. October.
Thursday 'till sunday.
Bitten by the bug
Unless we have a windfall of money (like 300€ or so) we are, alas, not attending.frown.gif
I had to buy new books for this semester and it left us rather tight in the money department.frown.gif
Have fun and drink a few for us.smile.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
QUOTE (The_Sarge)
Hmm...
My location got free, 'cause Bitten and Dutch can not attend. So, if you want to get something _really_ cheap (Say, like, completely free. *g*), I'd have a place for you to drop by.

Spiel is from 23. to 25. October.
Thursday 'till sunday.

Cheers for the info Sarge. Hmmm, I should be able to make it that weekend - and even have some spare cash too! If the offer for a crash-space is open and you don't mind a hairy hulk like me knowing where you reside, then count me in!

I'll have to look into the details, but I'll probably be catching a bus over from Merry Olde England and arrive in Essen on Friday morning - but the next one back wouldn't be until Tuesday evening. At least that's what it was last time. Of course, finances may indicate a more luxurious EuroStar crossing instead this year, but then I'd be cutting back on the beer money.

Hmmm - scrap the EuroStar then. grinbig.gif biggrin.gif grinbig.gif rotfl.gif

Anyhow, mucho Danke for the opportunity to attend my second Spiel. I'm looking forward to meeting the regular crowd again. It's a pity that Bitten and Dutch won't be there. Ho-hum, I guess I'll have to take a deeper look into this brochure on the desk about Danish cruises...

PS> If you can round up a few victims... err players, I might even have a Shadowrun or three ready to rock this time. (Must remember to bring plenty of Irn Bru and eat chocolate for maximum mentality.)
The_Sarge
Beeste? You're in. (Bitten and Dutch: If you should get any sort of lucky windfall, there are places for you too. I can... Organize. *evil grin*)

Victims? Most certainly sire. I should start to round the herd for you!

And if you would like some beers and stay mobile, you've got the perfect dedicated driver. *g* I just don't drink. So, you're save there.

Staying with me until Tuesday is no problem at all. Feel yourself invited. smile.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
Cheers there Sarge - count me in on the visit. I've still got one or two details to sort out first though before I can confirm exactly when and where I'll be arriving.

BTW regarding victims/players ask Honourableman, Stormy & TW. If they're still around and up for another dose of BEESTE GMing that is. (check out the Dumpshock_Memeber_Gallery for some scenes of last year's debauchery...)
Bitten by the bug
Maybe (BIG MAYBE) we are attending. Let me check with the bank. I would be SO delighted to play with Beeste.devil.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif

Err, as for the debauchery... Hmmm, include some good looking women and I am game. But hunting me would be dangerous to your health.wink.gif
The_Sarge
Perhaps three beds? It shall be done. smile.gif
I would be glad to house you. There shall be much rejoicing!

But, Bitten: Wouldn't Dutch mind the good looking women?
Bitten by the bug
QUOTE (The_Sarge)
Perhaps three beds? It shall be done. smile.gif
I would be glad to house you. There shall be much rejoicing!

But, Bitten: Wouldn't Dutch mind the good looking women?

As long as he and I share, he won't mind.wink.gif
The_Sarge
It somehow /felt/ stupid asking such a quetion. biggrin.gif
Sadly, all the good looking women I know (all three *g*) are either in a relationship, or searching for one. Sorry on that front.

Perhaps if we would visit a club? *g*
BIG BAD BEESTE
Perhaps! Perhaps? Ain't no perhaps about it Sarge old Term. We've GOT to visit a club. Mandatory. Like beer. I might even remember to pay up before leaving this time rather than be grabbed by the bouncers. (We pay for drinks as we get them over here in Blighty you know...)

@ Bitten & Dutch
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! You can do it, you know you want to. Remember - Who Dares Grins!
The_Sarge
So shall it be then.
T-Club/Blade in Oberhausen is the place of my choice.

T-Club has a good mix of Alternative&Metal, some EBM, (harder)top40 and classics. (Once they even played the "A-Team" opening. Hilarity ensued on the dancefloor. *g*)

Blade is your nice, small Industrial/EBM/Noise/Metal Dancefloor.

They're both in the same building. The "Turbinenhalle". An old industrial complex. (A turbine- hall, as it should be. wink.gif ). There's another dancefloor. The "Turbinenhalle" (named after the building, cause it's the actual hall. Quite big.), but as this hall only plays dance/gabba, I'm not an actual visitor. Just a victim. *argh*

@Bitten&Dutch:
Listen to the beast! *grins*
Atrox
I'll see you at the Spiel, then. Bet on it.
The_Sarge
Great!

We should arrange a meeting point/time.
I shall be there nearly all four days, if I can make it.
TW
Hoi there,
as Beeste stated correctly I almost certainly won't be able to attend this year, since I'll be moving to Toronto for three months a week before the SPIEL. Nonetheless, I wish you all a freakin' cool time. I know we had one when we met up with Stormy, Hon.Man and the Beeste. Make sure to ask him aboutthe Nova Schkorpions biggrin.gif

@Sarge: Last year we visited the Pulp , Beeste might even remember that club nyahnyah.gif It's slightly bigger than the Turbinenhalle, plus, it has a buffet (all sorts of salads and BBQ'ed meat) at low price as well. It's definitely worth to check it out.

Have fun, and don't forget to make pictures.
Atrox
QUOTE (The_Sarge)
Great!

We should arrange a meeting point/time.
I shall be there nearly all four days, if I can make it.

Yeah, we should.
Exchange cell phone numbers via PM also?
Bitten by the bug
QUOTE (The_Sarge)
@Bitten&Dutch:
Listen to the beast! *grins*

Heh, I am listening, so is Dutch. Money is the issue here, Sarge. No money, no game, no con, no visiting. I'll let you know by the end of the week (sunday the 5th) if we are coming. Keep your fingers/tentacles/various appendages crossed..biggrin.gif

As for music; Any thing with a good rythmic beat and I am game. Dutch is into the 50 - 60 - 70 - 80'ies music.
It is me who is the techno/grunge/metal/pop freak.biggrin.gif

BIG BAD BEESTE
QUOTE (TW)
Hoi there,
as Beeste stated correctly I almost certainly won't be able to attend this year, since I'll be moving to Toronto for three months a week before the SPIEL. Nonetheless, I wish you all a freakin' cool time. I know we had one when we met up with Stormy, Hon.Man and the Beeste. Make sure to ask him aboutthe Nova Schkorpions biggrin.gif

@Sarge: Last year we visited the Pulp , Beeste might even remember that club nyahnyah.gif It's slightly bigger than the Turbinenhalle, plus, it has a buffet (all sorts of salads and BBQ'ed meat) at low price as well. It's definitely worth to check it out.

Have fun, and don't forget to make pictures.

Hoi there TW - long time no see. Too long for sure. If I'd only known about RatCon a month earlier then things would have been different. Very Different biggrin.gif Nevermind - have a good trip over to Toronto and best of luck with your exams tomorrow. I'll catch up and chat to you later.

As for the Neuveux Schkorpionsh - perhaps they'll return this year. But I do have other plans this time. Six little players is all I need - I got pregens and some of my most glorious con scenarios ideas prepared. Come to BEESTE... vegm.gif

And how could I forget Pulp - the grub, the music, the ladies, the bouncer! Best time out I've had in a loooooooooong time. Loved the whole cavern image too. This time I intend to be more BEESTE than ever. eek.gif

Piccies will be forthcoming. Count on it.

As for the Diabolical Danish Duet of Bitten & Dutch, It would really be a pleasure to meet you guys at last. Hmmm, if there's enough of us I might even be pursuaded to conjure up one of my Mexican feasts too. (Got a kitchen and a hearty appetite Sarge?) I have me hooves crossed in anticipation so I hope you can make it over. (Note to self - must remember to check Euro law on catnip smuggling...)

Oh and I'll be bringing my phrasebook once more too - might even memorise a few lines this year aside from
Ein stuck du Swartzwalderkirschtorte bitte!

BIG BAD BEESTE
BTW - which part of the club caters to Country & Western? :Cowboybooted, stetson wearing Blues Brothers smiley cool.gif :
TW
Heya there Beeste,
well, if I would have known it'll all work out like it did in advance I sure would have let you know. But with the thesis, the vocal exams, the officie vacation and the perspectives offered to me by my bosses, it all happened rather last minute than with a considerable amount of planning (being the logistics guy that I am wink.gif). nevermind, we'll sure meet next year, with the full time job comes the full time payment, which makes it easier to hop the channel and meet you on your home turf (spring time in UK, anyone?). I'll get back to you later that week.
Stormspirit
I'll be at "Spiel '03" on Saturday, October 25.
Unfortunately, I cannot offer any accomodation, since I will be moving into a new appartment at the time. But I'll be able to see you at the fair and have a nice party afterwards. I'm really looking forward to seeing you again, folks!

Oh, by the way: I'm alive.
Jotun
Hey there!

Here I am, back from lurking on the weekends (I hate not having DSL round the clock). Since meeting you guys didn't happen for religious reasons *makes moneycounting gesture* last year, and despite me having made myself scarce round these parts in the past, I definitely am interested in coming down to Essen for a day or two...I just have to hold my money together.

Just tell me the specifics and I'll start making concrete plans.

MfG, Jotun
from semi-retirement
TW
Why is it that when I miss the Spiel for the first time in fifteen (!) years, everybody else seems to stop by for a meet.... mad.gif

Ah well, have fun, all of you... wavey.gif

@Beeste: During your stay in Germany, you think you could send me those ED books you managed to find on the GenCon? Pls drop me a line, since I'd have to give you my parents address.
The_Sarge
A stop by the Post should be no problem from my end here.

@Jotun:

As in the link: 23rd - 26th Oktober.
Last weekend/weekend before Halloween.

Essen, Nordhrein Westfalen.

Seems to get a great, cool meeting. smile.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
OK Sarge I'm off to get my transport over arranged. Looks like I'll be getting to the bus station Friday morning and have to catch the return on Tuesday evening. Let me know if there's any problem or if I have to arrange a local transport hop to meet you. I'm an adaptable BEESTE, so it shouldn't be too much trouble to track you down.

@ TW I'll catch you this week matey, and I can sort out a meet/drop off location. Send your agent to wait under the clock tower - I'll be wearing a red carnation... biggrin.gif (and a silly hat)

@ Bitten & Dutch Any hope of enjoying the company of our infamous Danish Duo?

P.S. Look for the hat guys! (see DumpshockMemberGallery images)
The_Sarge
That's no problem. Just give me the exact times, so that I can fetch you from the station.

Monday and tuesday I either get my boss to sign me some free days, or I'll write in sick. Whatever it should be, it'll work. *g*

Do you prefer english or continental breakfasts?
BIG BAD BEESTE
Cheers Sarge. I'll whack you over the arrival/departure times/location via email. As for breakfast, I appreciate anything going (Just ask TW biggrin.gif ), even if it means warming up the last night take-away leftovers (too good to waste). Although I do like to explore new cuisine - anything traditionally German besides beer and sausages? wink.gif

PS> If there's any UK delicacy you find hard to obtain over there in Germany, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Bitten by the bug
We aren't coming. The break I hoped for didn't come, so no money for us and no trip to Essen.

We'll be there next year, but that is AGES away.
Perhaps something could be arranged in the spring up here in Denmark?

But so far; No dynamic Danish Duo.frown.gif
Bugger, bugger bugger!!! frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif
Stormspirit
Since these $%/&§% closed the Lounge, I probably won't show up here any longer (just as I was thinking returning to the boards). Great... sarcastic.gif

I will, however, check this thread to see how things develop. I will grace Spiel 03 with my presence on Saturday, Oct. 25th, so I hope we'll meet. Gotta see the Beeste again. biggrin.gif

TW, we are still interested in having a cool evening at the Pulp Club. Any chance you'll join in after returning from Canada?

BIG BAD BEESTE
Hmmmm, methinks I see potential in a Spring Gathering of Euro DSFers. I know certain people have birthdays then - TW & I for a start. Ooo - then there's Dutch too, seeing as he's an Aries and all...

Amsterdam anyone?
The_Sarge
Aries? Count me in too. *g*
All those weird people... wink.gif

Amsterdam sounds great.
Nice feeling in this city. (No. I'm sober. And I'll stay it.)

Regarding meeting at the Spiel:
I'll ready something, to share our cellphone-numbers.
Give me until today evening, 2100cet, ok?
The_Sarge
My PC's giving me the cold side tonight. frown.gif
Postpone low expectations 'till tomorrow. Sorry. Much trouble these days.
TW
@Stormy: Sure I'm interested. Just sent you a PM.

@the rest: Behave, have fun and keep your hands off the ladies!! wink.gif
Jotun
Looks like I could make it on Friday the 24th till Sunday 26th. Have to be back in Neustadt/Holstein on the 27th. Damage Control Training...
A few things to consider...what's the distance from Neustadt to Essen and how bad's traffic gonna be. Oh well, we will see.

For any particulars, please contact me via email or cell phone. My number is +491726071364. I am really looking forward to seeing you guys!

Ich muß weg...

MfG, Jotun
BIG BAD BEESTE
QUOTE (TW)

@the rest: Behave, have fun and keep your hands off the ladies!! wink.gif

Hey TW, that's up for the Ladies to decide! grinbig.gif

And I'll be behaving - as my usual self that is. WOO-HOOOOO! biggrin.gif nyahnyah.gif

One more week to go, then I go to Essen...
Bitten by the bug
Need you rub it in??? frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif
BIG BAD BEESTE
Only in a nice relaxed warm environment with a carrier oil. Besides it'd only make Dutch jealous, wouldn't it? 'Scuse me for a mo'

"Three days to go, DEE-dee-DEE-dee-DEE-deeeeeee!" [wavey]

OK, Bitten I won't tease you much more - I know you like it too much. [grinbig] But we'll definately arrange a big EuroDSFer meet up sometime in the near future. Beware Denmark - the BEESTE know's where you are!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012