Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AI Initiative Passes / Hot-Sim
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
NiL_FisK_Urd
Is there any (non-houserule) way for AIs to get more than 3 IPs? Also, do AIs (and Agents/Pilots/Sprites) get the Hot-Sim +2 Bonus to all Matrix actions? Because all these entities are not constrained by Simsense filters or the like and operate at digital speeds (which grants metahumans a +2 bonus).
Aria
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 7 2013, 11:47 AM) *
Is there any (non-houserule) way for AIs to get more than 3 IPs? Also, do AIs (and Agents/Pilots/Sprites) get the Hot-Sim +2 Bonus to all Matrix actions? Because all these entities are not constrained by Simsense filters or the like and operate at digital speeds (which grants metahumans a +2 bonus).

I can't quote rules at you specifically (I'm sure there are those that can...) but AIs do get the VR bonus. I've seen it ruled that they can have the IP boost that goes on a commlink, but not the cyberware one (obviously). Yes, that means there are faster metahuman hackers out there (which makes no sense to me!) but there you go, perhaps they'll fix it in 5th edition?
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (Aria @ Jan 7 2013, 02:45 PM) *
which makes no sense to me!

Same here. As a GM, it is very easy to give an AI more IPs (it just has more. Period) - but i am partially referring to the PC AIs, because why should PC AIs only get 60% of the IPs that Hackers can achive at chargen for relatively low cost (comparing with 4 Meatspace IPs).
Shaidar
I would think the real benefit for a PC AI lies in the lack of a singular hardware reliance. Meaning that their distributed nature allows them to have code running on more nodes simultaneously and thus a greater access to running software. I'd also think they could initiate more than 1 Complex and 2 Simple actions per IP based on the number of nodes running their inherent code. <Previous ideas based upon SR3 conceptions of AIs.>

After reading up on AIs in SR4(a) it seems that spending Edge for an additional IP for a Combat Phase is available for AIs.

OR here is a scary thought...

A Submerged AI Technomancer resident in a Drone as its home node and using the Overclocking Echo to gain +1 Response and +1 IP.
Neraph
QUOTE (Aria @ Jan 7 2013, 07:45 AM) *
I can't quote rules at you specifically (I'm sure there are those that can...) but AIs do get the VR bonus. I've seen it ruled that they can have the IP boost that goes on a commlink, but not the cyberware one (obviously). Yes, that means there are faster metahuman hackers out there (which makes no sense to me!) but there you go, perhaps they'll fix it in 5th edition?

RAW you cannot get more than 3 IP as an AI. A sound House-Rule would be to allow the Simsense Accelerator (or Booster, don't want to check my books) from Unwired to work for AIs also. And no, that doesn't make them faster than the 5-IP metahuman hackers or TMs.

QUOTE (Shaidar @ Jan 17 2013, 04:46 PM) *
I would think the real benefit for a PC AI lies in the lack of a singular hardware reliance. Meaning that their distributed nature allows them to have code running on more nodes simultaneously and thus a greater access to running software. I'd also think they could initiate more than 1 Complex and 2 Simple actions per IP based on the number of nodes running their inherent code. <Previous ideas based upon SR3 conceptions of AIs.>

After reading up on AIs in SR4(a) it seems that spending Edge for an additional IP for a Combat Phase is available for AIs.

Wait, what? An AI can only be active on one node at a time, just like any other hacker.
Dolanar
personally if I were to houserule it, I'd allow a Sim-Sense Accelerator to effect an AI if they had a Commlink with the Accelerator as their Home Node.
Shaidar
QUOTE (Shaidar @ Jan 17 2013, 02:46 PM) *
<Previous ideas based upon SR3 conceptions of AIs.>

As I edited myself, those ideas were based upon early AI theory from SR3.
Neraph
Right, but you then went on to say you read up on AIs in SR4A.
Makki
QUOTE (Dolanar @ Jan 18 2013, 06:22 AM) *
personally if I were to houserule it, I'd allow a Sim-Sense Accelerator to effect an AI if they had a Commlink with the Accelerator as their Home Node.

does not have to be a commlink. any node with reasonable processing capacity should be fine. A nexus for example is just a bigger better version of a commlink.
the VR bonus should be allowed as well, since they technichally are working at the speed of thought.
Furthermore, the AI qualities section need to be updated by the new stuff from Running Wild and we need to break the 35 BP limitation on positive qualities, because most of them are more like defining their "race" than their character and traits.
And get rid of the stupid maintenance cost resembling a lifestyle. An AI does not need anything, it can survive by living in someone elses node. It can of course own an appartement for guests or an Entertainment-category for VR games and clubs etc.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 17 2013, 09:16 PM) *
Wait, what? An AI can only be active on one node at a time, just like any other hacker.

Not strictly accurate. AI's can only be loaded on one node at any given time, but have all the rights of 'any other hackers' to be remotely connected to multiple nodes at the same time.

the 'keeping tabs on multiple nodes' rules are really disadvantageous, though, and generally a bad idea to do.
apple
Agents/Pilots cannot profit from the Hotsi +2 and the Simsenseboostercyberware and -commlink-Addon, since all these boni are based on the simsense-interaction between man & machine. Whilte the humand interface can be improved, agents and pilots already run on max capacity (which means that at this points metahumans are still a little bit better than agents).

SYL
NiL_FisK_Urd
Yeah, which is stupid.
Neraph
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 18 2013, 02:55 AM) *
Not strictly accurate. AI's can only be loaded on one node at any given time, but have all the rights of 'any other hackers' to be remotely connected to multiple nodes at the same time.

the 'keeping tabs on multiple nodes' rules are really disadvantageous, though, and generally a bad idea to do.

I figured I covered that in the section of my sentence after the comma.

QUOTE (apple @ Jan 19 2013, 04:09 AM) *
Agents/Pilots cannot profit from the Hotsi +2 and the Simsenseboostercyberware and -commlink-Addon, since all these boni are based on the simsense-interaction between man & machine. Whilte the humand interface can be improved, agents and pilots already run on max capacity (which means that at this points metahumans are still a little bit better than agents).

SYL

Echo, echo.
hermit
By RAW, PC AI are very, very disadvantaged. There should have been an upgrade on AI capacities to bring them up to speed with hackers - who, by core book, are also restricted to 3 IP - but there never was, so they're seriously imped because Way of the Matrix never happened.
Lionhearted
Hm, can AIs become TMs?
NiL_FisK_Urd
Nope, they are forbidden to have a resonance attribute. One could adapt the PC free spirit rules to PC free sprite rules, which could use the overclocking echo.
Dolanar
strictly speaking, no, a Technomancer works by using their brain as a physical commlink, since an AI has no body they cannot have the same properties that technomancers typically have.
Lionhearted
You'd think that a being of the matrix would be in tune with it. It also sound like a wet munchkin dream although
Dolanar
wellthe major thing is that a technomancer is about being able to use your body as the focus of your abilities, no bio body, no technomancing
hermit
Hm, can AIs become TMs?

Not in SR4. In SR5, maybe.

You'd think that a being of the matrix would be in tune with it. It also sound like a wet munchkin dream although

AI, Resonance and the Matrix have been retconned more often than magic has, which si saying something. In 4 alone, there were 2 retcopns - one retconning SR3's retcon of SR2's retcon of the fact that magic DOES happen in the Matrix, in Unwired, which clearly implicates AI are resonant. Companion then came and said "uh, no, they're not".

Background-wise, it makes perfect sense to connect Resoannce/Dissonance, AI and TMs in some way, since it's always been like this somehow. However, tis is a fine line to walk between utterly gimping the concept and making it obscenely overpowered.

Maybe they all should just have stayed NPC threat material.
Neraph
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 20 2013, 04:15 AM) *
Hm, can AIs become TMs?

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 20 2013, 04:33 AM) *

As others have said, no you can't. You can, however, take Intuitive Hacking (Threading), since Threading is a Matrix action.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 22 2013, 09:34 AM) *
As others have said, no you can't. You can, however, take Intuitive Hacking (Threading), since Threading is a Matrix action.

Love Intuitive Hacking.
_Pax._
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 20 2013, 08:19 AM) *
Background-wise, it makes perfect sense to connect Resoannce/Dissonance, AI and TMs in some way, since it's always been like this somehow. However, tis is a fine line to walk between utterly gimping the concept and making it obscenely overpowered.

Certainly, I would love to try adding Resonance into the mix for AIs, PC and NPC alike. Because it DOES make ever so much sense.
NiL_FisK_Urd
This would just be like a free sprite then.
Neraph
QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Jan 22 2013, 11:04 AM) *
Certainly, I would love to try adding Resonance into the mix for AIs, PC and NPC alike. Because it DOES make ever so much sense.

All you have to do is say that the Rating of the AI is equal to their Resonance. They already have the mechanics supplied, you just have to meld them.

The only think left would be expanding their Quality list.
Lionhearted
or allow AI's to submerge/learn echoes despite not being emergent
Neraph
I figured that was in addition to.
Lionhearted
Oh I was refering to simply having them learn echoes, no resonance no CF's just access to things like Overclocking, Macro and Multiprocessing... Without bothering with how meatbags have streams and such.
Kinda like how Dracoforms just do magic...
Shaidar
AIs were better as theorized Matrix Threats.
hermit
Indeed. Some things should not be playable.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Neraph @ Jan 22 2013, 10:59 AM) *
All you have to do is say that the Rating of the AI is equal to their Resonance. They already have the mechanics supplied, you just have to meld them.

The only think left would be expanding their Quality list.

Why would you take intuitive hacking for Threading and not Emulation?
Same near-exact thing, except one is tailor built for AIs.
Halinn
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 25 2013, 08:52 AM) *
Why would you take intuitive hacking for Threading and not Emulation?
Same near-exact thing, except one is tailor built for AIs.

Especially since emulation doesn't cause fading. (Emulation really ought to have been a quality option for PCAIs, though)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012