Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Problems with Decking in SR4.5
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Cain
Spun off from the SR5 thread, per mod request.

The point is that cybercombat has zero tactical options. Since there's no "friends in melee" equivalent, having buddies in cybercombat doesn't help. You can't take cover behind another icon, you can't cause a diversion to run away... in short, all you can do is stand there and say "I try to hit him again *yawn*."

I think this is an important point. Decking in SR4.5 is a lot of tedious dice rolls, repetitive and dry. Cyber combat is the most glaring example of this, but there are others.

Discuss!
Falconer
Slight disagree... those options show up in the form of program options especially on attack programs.

However, since technos are the only ones which thread on the fly to add these sorts of things... they're the only ones with any kind of flexibility in this regard. (not even going into the absolute broken nonsense that is psychotropic options!)

But yes overall I agree with you.
Epicedion
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 12 2013, 01:25 PM) *
Spun off from the SR5 thread, per mod request.

I think this is an important point. Decking in SR4.5 is a lot of tedious dice rolls, repetitive and dry. Cyber combat is the most glaring example of this, but there are others.

Discuss!

A variety of attack programs with different effects could alleviate some of that:
Crashes a program running on the target
Reduces Initiative / IPs
Reduce ability to detect icons, prelude to hiding
Force a target to log onto a virtual subhost where they can also be attacked, forcing them to split their attention / waste actions logging off the host
Temporarily disrupt the ASIST feed, giving a -X penalty to all VR actions for some duration
Limited "bomb" type effects that hit multiple icons
Nath
As I mentioned in the original thread, saying there is zero option is inexact. There may be few options besides Matrix Attack, but they exist.
Shadowrun 20th Anniversary edition, page 230
MATRIX ACTIONS / COMPLEX ACTIONS
Crash Program (Exploit)
You initiate an attack on a running program that is not an agent, persona, or other icon with a Condition Monitor. The target program must be running in the same node as your icon or run by an icon that is in the same node as your icon. Make an Opposed Hacking + Exploit vs. the target’s Firewall + System. If you succeed, you crash the program, which changes its status from running to loaded.
Unwired, page 111-112
NEW SOFTWARE
Disarm (Hacking)
Disarm is used to undermine programs without crashing them. It is used to corrupt targeted software so that the disarmed program cannot act against the hacker (and only the hacker), effectively neutralizing its use. Operating systems, personas, IC, agents, sprites, and malware may not be disarmed, but this utility is effective against most Common Use programs, Hacking programs, and autosofts.

Nuke (Hacking)
Nuke is a combat utility that does not inflict Matrix damage, but instead hogs up system resources in an attempt to freeze the target user. Treat damage from a Nuke attack similar to Matrix damage from an Attack program. However, each box of Nuke damage instead deducts one point from either the node’s Response or System/Pilot (in case of agents or sprites) with the appropriate effects on Matrix Initiative, processor limit, and subscription limits. The attacker determines which attribute is affected by each point of Nuke damage. If Nuke reduces both values to zero, the target’s persona freezes. The user or agent can take no action within the Matrix until he reboots (p. 221, SR4). Likewise, Response reduced by a Nuke attack cannot be restored without a reboot.
Due to the unique and organic nature of the living persona, technomancers are immune to Nuke attacks, while sprites and other autonomous entities that depend on the resources of the node they are on (rather than the technomancer), are not.

NEW MATRIX ACTIONS
Disarm Program
To disarm a program, the hacker must make a Hacking + Disarm (Firewall + System, 1 Initiative Pass) Extended Test. When the threshold is reached, the targeted software can no longer be used against the hacker (i.e., Analyze will not detect the hacker, Attack will not target the hacker, and so on). The disarmed software still functions normally against others. Likewise, the hacker is still vulnerable to similar software wielded by others. Disarmed software will remain neutralized until it has been reloaded or until the hacker logs off the node.
Firewalls may also be disarmed, but they feature coded countermeasures that make such attempts likely to trigger an alert. The node makes an Analyze + Firewall (Stealth) Extended Test each time a Disarm Test is made. If it meets its threshold before the Disarm Extended Test succeeds, an alert is triggered, and the Firewall immediately reconfigures itself so that the Disarm attempt must be restarted.
Note that Disarm may not be used against Data Bombs — Defuse is required for that.
Cain
Like Falconer said, those options cannot be done on the fly for the most part. You have to have the program loaded to have a real chance.
Bearclaw
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 12 2013, 04:14 PM) *
Like Falconer said, those options cannot be done on the fly for the most part. You have to have the program loaded to have a real chance.

Yea, I have the same problem with guns. I'm always complaining that I can't have a gun with a high damage code, FA mode, 9 points of RC, electrical stun effects that bypass armor and fits in a pocket smile.gif

There are options, you just have to decide before you go in which you want.
Lionhearted
What about options outside of cybercombat?
Now, here's a baggie... what's in it?
Suspension of disbelief, you'll need it.
Now! Assume that every jock and his mum doesn't practice perfect computer security... Because let's be honest they don't. Suddenly we got a full range of possibilities for tactical application!
I'm thinking of the things you can do with Spoof and hacking peripherals that aren't skinlinked/slaved/running off a beefy homenode... or heck even the comm of the grunt that most likely doesn't have an amazing commlink, sure he can reboot... But meanwhile: No smartgun, no tacnet, no communications...
and if he doesn't biggrin.gif
You'll have a good time.

Uhm, you can take your disbelief back on now, I'm still in the middle of reading unwired but Im intrigued by the possibility with some lenience as a GM.

Nath
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 13 2013, 12:14 AM) *
Crash Program uses the Exploit program, which at least hackers are likely to have loaded when they break into a node.

Dealing with program limits and choosing the right time to load and unload programs would count as tactical options. When a hacker breaks into a node, he must have Analyze and Stealth running, plus Exploit if he just finished Hacking on the Fly (or if he expect a layered architecture). Most runners would keep Encrypt running to communicate with their team (and possibly a Tactical software). To get what he wants from the node, he will probably needs either Browse, Edit or Command. If he wants to keep ready for an attack, he needs Armor and/or Biofeedback Filter running. And Attack of a Blackhammer to counter-attack. It start getting really tricky if the hacker wants to do anything in the background that requires Scan, Sniffer or Spoof, or needs ECCM to pass through a jam. Response goes down, and so do Initiative and the Defense pool. Which make Nuke all the more dangerous.
Cain
Crashing a program is risky and only disarms a program temporarily. It can be reactivated very quickly. If the attacking decker has Attack and Black Hammer loaded, then you basically didn't achieve anything.
Fatum
Okay, let me be brief: the problem with hacking in SR4.5 is that it's an utter mess.
A lot of options are described very vaguely, and just about all are described in such a way that leaves more complex usages entirely up to your understanding. More than just that, there are options (like Data Bombs for Nodes) that are mentioned once at a glance, without comprehensive rules at all. Unwired makes it worse, not better, adding puzzling stuff like hard encryption (with people arguing that hard-encrypted nodes need the base encryption time to load up, etc). I don't even want more options, I want the options present clearly defined. Like, when developing the new system, get someone from IT to read through it and ask "what happens if I do X", and then include all the answers in the book.
Bearclaw
Yea. I don't have a complaint with the rules, I have a complaint with the way they're presented. Fractured, fragmented and haphazard.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Jan 13 2013, 01:32 AM) *
Yea. I don't have a complaint with the rules, I have a complaint with the way they're presented. Fractured, fragmented and haphazard.

For SR4 definitely, for 4a it's so much better that in comparison... Well I have an urge to burn that chapter from the old book.
Nath
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 13 2013, 01:03 AM) *
Crashing a program is risky and only disarms a program temporarily. It can be reactivated very quickly. If the attacking decker has Attack and Black Hammer loaded, then you basically didn't achieve anything.
If the opponent had repeatedly hit you with a Blackhammer and your Condition Monitor is nearly filled, and you force him into using an Attack program, I think you definitively achieved something.

If an IC or a hacker has finished a trace, crashing his Track program cause you him to stop getting update on your location without having to disconnect.

If the target is unwilling to engage in cybercombat and instead keeps on searching for a confidential file, or spoofing orders to armed drones to soot at you, crashing Browse or Command can be faster than attacking.

If you're in range to jam signals, crashing the ECCM program may instantly disconnect your target.

Crashing program does work a lot better for a coordinated effort with another hacker, an agent, IC or a sprite. One crash Armor or Biofeedback Filter while the other attacks, or crash Stealth and Spoof while the other trace.
Udoshi
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 12 2013, 04:14 PM) *

This is because those options are not part of the core book.

That's it.

If it were there from the beginning, people would know about it, and use it, and it would be part of the regular bag of tricks.

Unwired is enough of a headache already, that really only the hacker or rigger is supposed to read it and use it. Most GM's don't even care for it.

I mean, sure, they could be expanded a bit, but just because something is in the system doesn't mean it's common place.

QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 12 2013, 05:03 PM) *

Crashing is really only good if you have an Action Advantage over your target.(whether through having agents/sprites, macro, or just more passes) If you have a significant action advantage, Encrypting the programs you crash is a FANTASTIC way to take your opposition out long enough to get the job done. Doing this with Analyze all but assures your victory. If they can't see you, you're pretty much invincible. (this doesn't work if you have an Alert on you, since they can see you anyway under those conditions, but as a preemptive strike it's brutal)
Bearclaw
It would be a far superior product if it did a complete job of presenting matrix and decking rules, instead of being a whole bunch of add ons to other rules in other books.
Cain
QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Jan 12 2013, 04:32 PM) *

I can agree to that.

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 12 2013, 04:36 PM) *
For SR4 definitely, for 4a it's so much better that in comparison... Well I have an urge to burn that chapter from the old book.

Honestly, I don't see that as much of a compliment. Saying something is better than FATAL can still mean it sucks.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Udoshi @ Jan 12 2013, 08:27 PM) *
Crashing is really only good if you have an Action Advantage over your target.(whether through having agents/sprites, macro, or just more passes) If you have a significant action advantage, Encrypting the programs you crash is a FANTASTIC way to take your opposition out long enough to get the job done. Doing this with Analyze all but assures your victory. If they can't see you, you're pretty much invincible. (this doesn't work if you have an Alert on you, since they can see you anyway under those conditions, but as a preemptive strike it's brutal)

Precisely.

Or if you aren't using 4A, these options are entirely non-viable, as they have a 1 combat round interval. 4A made it slightly better at a complex action.

But seriously, it's simpler and faster to just Attack action repeatedly.
DnDer
<<tag for tracking and later contribution to discussion>>
kzt
A couple of issues I see.

The overreaching issue is that everyone who plays the game understands how modern computers work. Why is the game instead focused trying to emulate the way that a guy who wrote books on a mechanical typewriter wanted computers to work? The computer rules in every edition of SR have sucked. Maybe that is connected to the whole worship of Mr Mechanical Typewriter? It's like trying to base the combat rules on HG Wells' 1903 story "The Land Ironclads" or the vehicle rules on Jules Verne's "Around the World In 80 Days". Yeah, they are "classics", but get over it.

The second issue is that the rules that are presented are a morass. Even the examples presented are contradictory and take forever and endless dice rolling to get nowhere. The fact that whoever wrote the rules have no frigging idea what the role of encryption is and why it is essential to any sort of electronic commerce is just the punchline to the joke that SR makes of computers.

The rules need to be clear and very well playtested, with the developer actually paying attention to the issues that are brought up and making the writers fix the issues until you can hand it to a group of new players and they can actually understand the rules and can use them in play in ways that generally resemble how they were envisioned to work.
Lionhearted
I think that we managed to establish that very few people know how a modern computer actually works, even less when it comes to hacking.
Even so I wouldn't want hacking to be representative of the real world. I want insult jousting and lightcycles, not coding malware and phishing.
Lionhearted
I have a question, as I understand it. When accessing a node every program run on it (including the hackers) count towards the system limit. Could you in theory crash a link by jumping in to it and start running programs? (you would probably need a bunch of agents to get enough of them)
Dolanar
Actually there is mention of loading multiple Agents onto a node to slow it down in unwired in the Agent section, so yes it is possible.
Lionhearted
Effectively a spam attack, neat
Umidori
Why not just use Exploit and a Complex Action to crash the node? Trying to crash it covertly or something?

I always assumed that Crash Node was an abstraction of actions like fork bombing a system anyways...

~Umi
Cain
QUOTE (Umidori @ Jan 13 2013, 10:10 AM) *
Why not just use Exploit and a Complex Action to crash the node? Trying to crash it covertly or something?

I always assumed that Crash Node was an abstraction of actions like fork bombing a system anyways...

~Umi

Exploit requires opposed rolls. Overloading a node doesn't require anything at all.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 13 2013, 10:34 PM) *
Exploit requires opposed rolls. Overloading a node doesn't require anything at all.

Except hellalot of bots
NiL_FisK_Urd
No, only one with a ton of programs running.
Lionhearted
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 13 2013, 11:41 PM) *
No, only one with a ton of programs running.

That would require you to be inside the node, IE hacking.
Overloading with a botnet just requires an AccessID... and a lot of bots, essentially achieving the same thing; bringing a device's response to the ground.
Cain
QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Jan 13 2013, 01:52 PM) *
Except hellalot of bots

Lots of bots is one way to do it, but it requires extra purchases. Just one or two with a crapton of programs doesn't require more than what the decker would start with.
pbangarth
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jan 12 2013, 03:41 AM) *
I sense a trap, but I'm gonna say: generally yes. wink.gif
I'll decide on the fly if it's ever relevant.

No trap set at all. I forget that in this medium a question meant simply to help understand the other's position can be interpreted that way. The AR/VR divide seems to me to be a logical place to put a barrier to magic, if I were inclined to do so.

I had forgotten that there is a parallel sprite power Stability. This strengthens the argument that there should be a divide beyond which magic does not extend. But, then, reading up on that power leads me to ask why the Accident power extends into the Matrix.

QUOTE (SR4A, page 243 under Stability)
Stability
A sprite can use this power on the node it is in, or on any particular
device, program, or icon. Stability prevents normal malfunctions or
accidents from afflicting the target (including both standard glitches
and those induced by the Gremlins or Accident powers). Stability also
reduces a critical glitch to a standard glitch.
(emphasis mine)
bannockburn
No worries, pbangarth, I am far away from insinuating that you have evil intentions smile.gif

The bolded part is a good point, but I still can't understand, how a spirit would ever interact with the matrix, even AR.
TBH, it's probably more of a gut feeling than anchored in rules, but somerimes I can bitch and moan about inconsequential details biggrin.gif

The question is, how would a spirit perceive matrix related activity?
Yes, I realize 'it's magic', but the magical rules are kind of logical most of the time from an in-world perspective.
I maintain that spirits can't even see what a trid projects. They only see the lump of lifeless plastic of the actual device. A spirit goes to the cinema, he'll only see a a grey silver screen.
Full VR is simply a world they do not comprehend at all, and as such can't exert influence over.
Much like quantum foam is something you can intellectually explain to a person, but grasping, much less doing something with the knowledge is a whole other story.
Or an easier example, explaining to a blind person how colors look.

If a hacker does something in AR, protecting them with guard is a fringe case. Helping him with programming? Probably no. Preventing him from running into a wall? Most certainly yes.
NiL_FisK_Urd
Well, it say it also protects devices. Accident on a commlink for a power surge should work, or on a drone.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jan 14 2013, 02:09 AM) *
No worries, pbangarth, I am far away from insinuating that you have evil intentions smile.gif

The bolded part is a good point, but I still can't understand, how a spirit would ever interact with the matrix, even AR.
TBH, it's probably more of a gut feeling than anchored in rules, but somerimes I can bitch and moan about inconsequential details biggrin.gif

The question is, how would a spirit perceive matrix related activity?
Yes, I realize 'it's magic', but the magical rules are kind of logical most of the time from an in-world perspective.
I maintain that spirits can't even see what a trid projects. They only see the lump of lifeless plastic of the actual device. A spirit goes to the cinema, he'll only see a a grey silver screen.
Full VR is simply a world they do not comprehend at all, and as such can't exert influence over.
Much like quantum foam is something you can intellectually explain to a person, but grasping, much less doing something with the knowledge is a whole other story.
Or an easier example, explaining to a blind person how colors look.

If a hacker does something in AR, protecting them with guard is a fringe case. Helping him with programming? Probably no. Preventing him from running into a wall? Most certainly yes.

Problem you are apparently having is that the Spirit is not affecting the MATRIX, he is affecting the DEVICE. They are not the same thing, even if they do have interactions.
bannockburn
I don't have any problem, thank you very much. wink.gif Just a difference in opinion.

In the aforementioned example of protecting the device against a power surge, yes, the spirit is affecting the environment.
But I do not think that he would be able to affect the device at all, nor could he protect you while you're doing whatever in VR mode or, your earlier example, of coding stuff.
If you want to do this at my table, get a sprite, not a spirit smile.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jan 14 2013, 11:03 AM) *
I don't have any problem, thank you very much. wink.gif Just a difference in opinion.

In the aforementioned example of protecting the device against a power surge, yes, the spirit is affecting the environment.
But I do not think that he would be able to affect the device at all, nor could he protect you while you're doing whatever in VR mode or, your earlier example, of coding stuff.

IMO, if a spirit using Accident can make you flub a knowledge roll, then it can make you flub a software (coding) roll when in VR.
bannockburn
And IMO not. ^^
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (bannockburn @ Jan 14 2013, 09:03 AM) *

If that works for you that is great, but know that it is not RAW. smile.gif
bannockburn
If RAW is stupid, and / or collides with my world view, RAW can go sit in a dark corner without friends biggrin.gif
NiL_FisK_Urd
The spirit can flab your commlink while you make a software roll.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 14 2013, 09:51 AM) *
The spirit can flab your commlink while you make a software roll.

Not according to Bannockburn, apparently.
Cain
I think the sticking point here is that if the spirit has the decker's meat body and/or commlink within LoE of itself, it can use Accident on either, and affect the decker's performance in the matrix. A spirit probably cannot target the decker's icon.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 14 2013, 10:20 AM) *
I think the sticking point here is that if the spirit has the decker's meat body and/or commlink within LoE of itself, it can use Accident on either, and affect the decker's performance in the matrix. A spirit probably cannot target the decker's icon.

Agreed, but then, why cannot a spirit protect that same device or meat body via Guard?
Nath
Matrix is not an actual place. It's some code running on the comlink and some code running on the node, telling the datajack or the trodes what the user's brain should "see" or "hear."

My take is a spirit's Accident power may be used against either the comlink or the node to have a bug of some sort (like a lag that makes you losing one IP or make an Extended Test restarts). But a spirit with a line of sight on a hacker shouldn't be able to be used against someone else connected to the same node. But I can understand why some people would prefer a strict divide between Magic and Matrix.
pbangarth
It seems to me the spirit would be affecting the hacker, not electronic code or a virtual environment. The hacker is empowered by Guard to not make mistakes, whether that is because she is not being distracted, or is not fuzzed by alcohol from the night before, whatever.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 14 2013, 04:07 PM) *
It seems to me the spirit would be affecting the hacker, not electronic code or a virtual environment. The hacker is empowered by Guard to not make mistakes, whether that is because she is not being distracted, or is not fuzzed by alcohol from the night before, whatever.

Indeed, you would think. smile.gif
Cain
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jan 14 2013, 09:58 AM) *
Agreed, but then, why cannot a spirit protect that same device or meat body via Guard?

I never said it couldn't. I see where you are coming from; if I had a decker's meat body guarded by a spirit, having it use Guard on him seems perfectly reasonable. I *think* Bannokburn's argument is that while it might prevent an attacking spirit from using Accident, it might not be able to prevent the decker from botching in the matrix-- that's the province of Stability.
pbangarth
QUOTE (Cain @ Jan 14 2013, 06:13 PM) *
I never said it couldn't. I see where you are coming from; if I had a decker's meat body guarded by a spirit, having it use Guard on him seems perfectly reasonable. I *think* Bannokburn's argument is that while it might prevent an attacking spirit from using Accident, it might not be able to prevent the decker from botching in the matrix-- that's the province of Stability.

That makes sense, to have the provinces separate, but then why does Stability affect Accident, suggesting that Accident does extend into the Matrix. Do we cut out that reference in Stability to make the system internally consistent?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 14 2013, 04:15 PM) *
That makes sense, to have the provinces separate, but then why does Stability affect Accident, suggesting that Accident does extend into the Matrix. Do we cut out that reference in Stability to make the system internally consistent?

I just let them both cross the provincial barrier, since it makes sense. *shrug* smile.gif
Cain
QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jan 14 2013, 03:15 PM) *

I'm not sure I fully understand Bannockburn's argument at this point. To me, that suggests that a spirit cannot target a decker's icon, but it can target his commlink or meat body assuming it has LoE to one or the other. Stability then prevents Accident in the matrix, allowing an otaku to have a defense that they wouldn't normally have.
Halinn
How does the Guard power prevent glitches on technical skills, totally aside from hacking? Assume a spirit sustaining it from the astral somewhere off in the distance. How is it preventing a chemist from grabbing the wrong flask, the hardware guy from not grounding himself before messing around with commlink bits, or the painter from having a muscle spasm at an inconvenient time?
Add to that the fact that being in VR is not at all required for coding, and there doesn't seem to be much difference to me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012