Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shadowrun 5 Goals Blog Entry
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2, 3
hermit
Ah. Well, further reason to houserule this, thanks for bringing the matter to my attention.
Stahlseele
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 21 2013, 02:07 PM) *
You can do ritual Spellcasting alone. And you can send a spirit with the influence power.

For Brains being hackable, you need a device that establishes a connection to the brain. Also, i think "hacking" a brain should follow similar rules like control thoughts, with a defensive roll every few combat rounds and maybe biofeedback damage like rigging a drone.

All you need is an amped up trode-net basically.
Fatum
QUOTE (Halinn @ Jan 21 2013, 08:32 PM) *
Are you privy to something about 5th edition that we others are not? For all we know, it takes planting a special chip on the target's head and weeks or months of hacking.
Except there is no indication of it in the original short, and Occam's Razor is as relevant as ever.

In what comes to magicians, a mage still has to have LOS on your for Mind Rape spells. Which means more often than not that you have LOS to him.
There's ritual casting, sure, but that still requires astral presence or material link, which gives you ways to defend yourself.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 21 2013, 10:29 AM) *
Per RAW, a group is not required.

Indeed... Ritual Sorcery DOES NOT NEED a group to be used. And in fact, a group is not really all that much of a benefit, either. *shrug*
NiL_FisK_Urd
QUOTE (Fatum @ Jan 21 2013, 06:53 PM) *
In what comes to magicians, a mage still has to have LOS on your for Mind Rape spells. Which means more often than not that you have LOS to him.
There's ritual casting, sure, but that still requires astral presence or material link, which gives you ways to defend yourself.

Well, with sympathetic linking, he needs neither of it. Just a voodoo doll. One of my NPCs is a voodoo Mystic adept with sympathetic linking, 5 spellcasting magic and 1 point for Heightened Concentration.

Or you need a high force spirit with search and influence, and must know your targets general location (+/- 5km). Then you tell the Spirit: Fly to {Location}, search {target}. and influence him to do {action}.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Jan 21 2013, 11:30 AM) *
Well, with sympathetic linking, he needs neither of it. Just a voodoo doll. One of my NPCs is a voodoo Mystic adept with sympathetic linking, 5 spellcasting magic and 1 point for Heightened Concentration.

Or you need a high force spirit with search and influence, and must know your targets general location (+/- 5km). Then you tell the Spirit: Fly to {Location}, search {target}. and influence him to do {action}.

Love Sympathetic Linking... Of course, Sympathetic links provide a hefty negative (which you are obviously countering using Heightened Concentration). I do not tend to use astral spotters in my Character's Ritual Magic. I go to the effort of acquiring a material link or use Sympathetic Linking when I can get it.
Dolanar
The entire problem with brain hacking is currently based on a Fluff post about an edition that has not even been revealed in the slightest beyond a bit of information & teasers. For all we know this can only be done by a small group of individuals who have to be in a specially prepared area & takes 80 hours of prep time & unknown number of hours trying to actually hack the brain. Hell for all we know Brain hacking will not be available to PC's as it could be something that a foreign intelligence that has just appeared (such as a Super AI more powerful than any that have come before it) has access too.

Since we do not know the full extent this brain hacking (if that's what it is) will have on the setting why don't we just see where it leads?
ravensmuse
I'm not really involved in this fight, but out of respect to folks, could we maybe refrain from using the word rape? We get what you're going for, but it's kind of a loaded word.

Please? smile.gif
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 21 2013, 01:45 PM) *
None of which were PC or regular NPC options.

And is there any indication to believe this will be a PC option, except for your doom and gloom glasses?
hermit
They have been taking a number of cues from Trollman lately, starting with the new Treaty of Denver and "Ghostwalker does things". They may - may - also use his Matrix rules as a guideline fro the new-and-definitely-better-than-the-last Matrix rules for SR5.
Stahlseele
Right1
Now i remember where i read the brainhacking first!
Frank Trollmans Ends of the Matrix complete ReWrite of the Hacking Rules for SR4!
Halinn
Isn't a personafix basically brainhacking?
hermit
QUOTE (Halinn @ Jan 22 2013, 11:32 PM) *
Isn't a personafix basically brainhacking?

A Technomancer threading psychotropic options to a combat CF might be; a personafix is not, it's a personality-altering drug.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 23 2013, 02:03 AM) *
A Technomancer threading psychotropic options to a combat CF might be; a personafix is not, it's a personality-altering drug.

Debateable, since it is not an actual drug. It is a program that overwrites your personality as long as it is run. Alternatively, you can use a PAB to program a presonality that lasts with no other external stimuli. And that has been available since 1st Edition... smile.gif
Stahlseele
Now that Personafix can be loaded via Trode-Net, and the Trode-Net does not need a wired connection to the brain, you could beef up a trodenet to unsafe levels for the connection to a brain to be established and load the Personafix from some meters away.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 23 2013, 08:41 AM) *
Now that Personafix can be loaded via Trode-Net, and the Trode-Net does not need a wired connection to the brain, you could beef up a trodenet to unsafe levels for the connection to a brain to be established and load the Personafix from some meters away.

In theory, yes. But a trode net does not have an unsafe level. That would be the Sim Module that it connects to. smile.gif
And anyone that possesses a Trode net that is wireless enabled is dumb... *shrug*
Sengir
QUOTE (hermit @ Jan 22 2013, 11:31 AM) *
They have been taking a number of cues from Trollman lately, starting with the new Treaty of Denver and "Ghostwalker does things". They may - may - also use his Matrix rules as a guideline fro the new-and-definitely-better-than-the-last Matrix rules for SR5.

Sure, when FT can give an opinion that does not sound like a major case of coprolalia, and Goodman publishes Twilight fanfic...
Stahlseele
His Game-Design is Solid. Just missing a bit of Tact.
Shortstraw
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 24 2013, 10:01 PM) *

But only a bit wink.gif
Blade
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jan 24 2013, 01:01 PM) *

His grasp on Maths, and how they apply to rules, is solid. But that doesn't necessarily mean good game design.
Stahlseele
Hai, that too.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012