Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Liquid Armor
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Mr. White
Thought that some of you here might find this interesting...

Clicky
Cray74
QUOTE (Mr. White @ Apr 22 2004, 06:10 PM)
Thought that some of you here might find this interesting...

Clicky

Gel Packs! smile.gif

I note the armor is not all liquid. Indeed, the liquid portion is actually a slurry (solid silica powder plus liquid). It is also laced with kevlar fibers (in fairly normal armor vest format). But those are technicalities. It's still pretty cool.
blakkie
Having it in the kevlar read like it is an application consideration, making it easier to keep a constant thickness to the fluid.

Moon-Hawk
SOTA rears it's ugly head. I think all of our personal armor just lost a point. cyber.gif
Lilt
QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
SOTA rears it's ugly head. I think all of our personal armor just lost a point. cyber.gif

Nah. My reality dosen't use those rules. It says they stink nyahnyah.gif
Austere Emancipator
Oh that. Someone hasn't been paying attention to my posts! grinbig.gif

It is very interesting and shows how much potential there is in advancing body armor technology. Does not really require any new ruling. It just makes any old flexible armor vest better.

Would be great to see just how much better it is against firearm-threats at similar thickness/weight. We might have to wait a long time to get that sort of data, however.
Cray74
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
Would be great to see just how much better it is against firearm-threats at similar thickness/weight. We might have to wait a long time to get that sort of data, however.

At the same thickness, it should be about twice as heavy, or more.

Most modern vest materials (Spectra, Kevlar, etc.) are about as dense as water, but only about half-filled (the rest being air between fibers). This ignores plates, of course.

Therefore, filling them up with a liquid about as dense as water will double their mass, if their dimensions stay the same.

Silica's notably denser than water, so the liquid will be denser than water, which means the vest will be more than twice as dense. For the same dimensions.
Smiley
I'd rather haul around some extra weight than have my innards become my out-ards.

But then, i'll probably never see these vests since they're Army.
Firewall
Doesn't that sort of describe Hiro's biking gear from Snow Crash?
Arethusa
Yes it does. Feels like gritty jello, protects like a stack of telephone books.
Req
Sintered armorgel. Good stuff.
Austere Emancipator
In other words, this is a good justification for more Concealable but just as heavy body armor.

Sometimes I wish I was a Materials Engineer. wink.gif
RedmondLarry
By 2066 they'll have made a version of the gel that a Troll Samurai can use for Blood.
Austere Emancipator
Man, that would suck! Someone hits the troll with a baseball bat and suddenly all veins in a 2"x4" area rip and become rigid.
Arethusa
Let's stop this before someone starts talking about what happens when you kick a troll in the crotch and make him angry.
Kagetenshi
...Ow?

~J
Voran
At the very least you might be able to come up with another specialized version of dermal sheathing or dermal armor that's a little more effective than 'current' SR verisions.
Kanada Ten
More like a cyberware version of Orthoskin, obviously not compatible with dermal.
BitBasher
Or just a highly concealable version of dermal, because it stays soft most of the time, instead of breast implants, armor implants!
Arethusa
Which, of course, leads us to the ultimate use of liquid armor: armored breasts.
Kanada Ten
If I punch someone with my LQArmor impregnated hand, does it add +1 power? And does it stack with Bone Lacing?

We should actually submit this to TSS when we finish, because it isn't really a bad idea.
Kanada Ten
And would it make more sense as Nanoware?
Cray74
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
And would it make more sense as Nanoware?

I don't see why. It's just gel goop in packets, and a very uncomplicated goop at that.
Arethusa
Lewd jokes aside, I really can't see this as a dermal armor. Too many issues with uninentionally puncturing it and leaking potentially toxic stuff into you, as well as the fact that you'll bea dealing with a layer of liquid stuff between you and the rest of the world. Normal dermal armor is bad enough; this would just be bizarre.
Kanada Ten
Well, I was thinking Nanoware would make it transient. You'd simply receive an injection and the Nanites would direct the Goop to the dermal layer - preventing over concentration. Primarily, making it nanoware would eliminate the worry of pack rupture. Otherwise, it seems like a pack should/could rupture every time one is shot.

Cray74
QUOTE (Kanada Ten)
Well, I was thinking Nanoware would make it transient. You'd simply receive an injection and the Nanites would direct the Goop to the dermal layer - preventing over concentration. Primarily, making it nanoware would eliminate the worry of pack rupture. Otherwise, it seems like a pack should/could rupture every time one is shot.

That would just dovetail nicely into the need for dermal sheathing (and plating?) to have special healing sprays to avoid weird scarring. You could add a self-sealing agent to the goop, too.

As for nanites introducing it...well, a lot of nanites introduce cyberware to the body. They're just a regular part of cyberware installation.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012