Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Character motivation - power/influence
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Chimera
I will soon be playing in a game with a hermetic magician character; formerly a trauma surgeon, now a street doc/shadowrunner. His magical and other wise skill set is set around medicine and coercion manipulation, with his primary motivation the acquisition of power (think Dr. House crossed with Raistlin).

Obviously personal power is straight-forward enough to plan for and come by (magical Initiation, obtaining foci, and so on), but what I'm looking for is ideas on how to extend power and influence. Setting himself as someone with control over others in a fashion beyond simply controlling a local street gang or chop shop. My vision is that the character sees money/equipment as a means to an end, and not an end in and of itself (e.g. get rich, cover your tracks, retire on some island somewhere). I'm realistic that any scheming or planning won't be the focus of the campaign, but I'm interested if anyone has ideas of what a magically-inclined character with dreams of being the one pulling the strings in The Grand Game might invest his time/money/influence/contacts in.

I realize its a severely open-ended statement smile.gif
Umidori
QUOTE (Chimera @ Feb 5 2013, 03:17 PM) *
I'm interested if anyone has ideas of what a magically-inclined character with dreams of being the one pulling the strings in The Grand Game might invest his time/money/influence/contacts in.

A decent funeral. The bigger you are, the bigger a target you are. The big boys don't take kindly to people pushing in on their turf.

~Umi
Skarablood
Imho: Acquiring loyal contacts, making a name for himself, gathering money and gear would be a characters aims if he wants to become one of the big players.
kzt
I'll use my skills to save your child's life, but at some time, someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me...
focke
For a mage, you might think about trying to start your own initiation group. One that you, and you alone control. You'll have to start small and move slowly, otherwise the powers that be may take you as a threat, and kill you or subvert you.

This, with giving out health care for favors later could greatly increase your influence.
Lionhearted
Selling your soul to powerful alien entities is always a popular option
Umidori
You mean Horrors? nyahnyah.gif

~Umi
Lionhearted
or insects or a free spirit with a nasty streak or ... Hm, what dragon accept souls as a currency? Probably the one behind Aztlan
NeoJudas
QUOTE (Chimera @ Feb 5 2013, 09:17 PM) *
I will soon be playing in a game with a hermetic magician character; formerly a trauma surgeon, now a street doc/shadowrunner. His magical and other wise skill set is set around medicine and coercion manipulation, with his primary motivation the acquisition of power (think Dr. House crossed with Raistlin).

Obviously personal power is straight-forward enough to plan for and come by (magical Initiation, obtaining foci, and so on), but what I'm looking for is ideas on how to extend power and influence. Setting himself as someone with control over others in a fashion beyond simply controlling a local street gang or chop shop. My vision is that the character sees money/equipment as a means to an end, and not an end in and of itself (e.g. get rich, cover your tracks, retire on some island somewhere). I'm realistic that any scheming or planning won't be the focus of the campaign, but I'm interested if anyone has ideas of what a magically-inclined character with dreams of being the one pulling the strings in The Grand Game might invest his time/money/influence/contacts in.

I realize its a severely open-ended statement smile.gif

Special skill... Shadow Politics. Learn how to play others off of one another. While people are asleep on the table, they are potential victim to any number subliminal options. Get a "Programmed Illusion" spell to provide apparent waiting room music, all the while the spell is dumping sub-audio suggestions at people....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012